Chapter 11

Can I be her?

I arrived at the campus and parked my car. It was my dad's new year's gift for me. I got out and felt the breeze of january.

 

I excitedly walked towards the music room, I wanted to proudly show Sam my car keys. It's almost noon but i think they have practice.

 

I scanned the room when I entered but Sam wasn't there.

 

"Hi lexi! I missed you!" Danny hugged me. They all waved at me.

 

"I miss you all! Where's Sam?" I sat on a chair.

 

"She went to her girlfriend, it's actually their anniversary." Ethan said. Her what? She has sa girlfriend?

 

"We didn't tell you? Crap, Remember Jules? Her childhood best friend, they're together for a year now. We never really mention her because she goes to a different high school. Sorry lexi." Liz said, she must've noticed my confused face.

 

She didn't mention it to me either. I thought they were just that close when we met on Sam's birthday last year. We've known each other for more than a year now but i guess it's my fault, I never really asked. I looked at the keys in my hand, what am I even thinking?

 

 

"Are you not feeling well?" 

 

"Hmm?" I glanced at Sam beside me.

 

"You weren't talking much since breakfast." I looked back at the painting in front of me. Moon, the hope of light in the dark. 

 

"Just sleepy. Where are they?" I love looking at the moon, even if it's too far.

 

We're walking around the museum. It's big and have so many artworks.

 

"They went up looking for more painting." 

 

I was about to go to the stairs but they're already going down. Danny walked closer to me.

 

"Let's go eat something delicious, I'm famished." 

 

We went to the parking lot, I rode with Noah and Avery so I entered his car again. 

 

Madison: I just saw Jules here at our uni. I think she visited Kiarra's sis.

Me: Why are you telling me that?

Madison: And why are you grumpy? I'm telling you because she talked to me casually, shocking. I heard she's meeting Samantha next week, just saying.

Me: Good for them then.

 

I closed my phone and just stared outside. I sighed, this is stupid. Falling for a friend is stupid.

 

 

We arrived, the weather is great and we found a good spot to eat.

 

I got outside and my phone rang. Mom? I motioned Noah to go first.

 

'Hello Mom? Did something happen?'

'Kira, No, why are you asking me that?' i heard her laugh.

'You suddenly called, I got worried for a sec.'

'Sorry honey, I called because I only have a few minutes before my next meeting. I'm booking you a flight home, when are you available? I hope it's before 25th' 

25th? That's new. I only go home for new year.

'I'm in San Francisco mom, but I'll be available in two days. Is it important?'

'Yes baby, it's a family matter. I'll text you the flight details. Love you!'

'Kay mommy, love you too!'

 

Then I received a text from my older brother.

 

Kaleb: Help me buy a ring!

Me: What?!

Kaleb: I'm proposing to Harper :P

Me: Really? Omg!! I'm so happy for you! Is that why Mom wants me to go home?

Kaleb: Yes, I told them I need your opinion baby sis. I'll see you!

Me: Congratulations, Kaleb!!

 

I smiled. 

 

I saw them sitting in an open area. I sat beside Liz.

 

"We ordered different kind of foods, do you want anything else?" She asked me, I just shook my head.

 

"Where are we going later Liz?" Danny asked

 

"I have a friend here, he manages a bar. But let's go home first, I'm changing my clothes." 

 

"Wow girl. So prepared to party?" Danny .

 

We went back to the house so we can rest for awhile and they can change outfit. I'm wearing a crop top with long sleeve plaided shirt and my ragged pants so I didn't change. I sat on the couch with Ethan waiting for them.

 

Madison: Sorry for ruining your vacation.

Me: No you didn't. I am the one who's sorry, for acting out and feeling like this.

Madison: Your feelings are valid lexi, remember that. You liked Sam for a long time.

Madison: No, you've been inlove with her for 3 years now. You have the right to feel sad with Jules coming back.

Me: Thanks, Madi..

Madison: Come on, what are you guys doing tonight?

Me: We'll go to a bar.

Madison: Go girl! Don't think about it for now. Enjoy the night, but drink responsibly please. Ciao!

 

"Let's go party!" Danny shouted. 

 

Lizzie asked for a van and a driver so we can all drink and won't have to worry on driving later. 

 

We arrived at the bar in no time. Liz went to greet her friend first, the others went to our reserved couch with table. And I need a drink so I went directly to the bar counter.

 

"What can i get you?" The bartender asked me.

 

"A Martini please." I said to her.

 

"Ooh a strong one. Bad day?" She asked

 

"Not really." She started making the drink. She looks young maybe 2 years older than me.

 

"I haven't seen you around. New here?" She handed the glass to me.

 

"Vacation. Thanks." 

 

"Sweet." I took a sip hmm tastes good.

 

"Why are you drinking a martini already?" Liz was suddenly beside me.

 

"I just wanted to try theirs." She just rolled her eyes on me.

 

"Hi! Thalia." Liz greeted the bartender, oh she knows her.

 

"Hello Lizzie! Long time no see! She's your friend?" Thalia asked pertaining to me.

 

"Yes this is Alexis, please look out on her she's not a fan of crowded places. She'll drink anything she wants tonight. I'll leave my card here for her and for our table. Thanks!" She then looked at me. "Behave. Enjoy!"

 

"I'm not a kid Lizzie." Thalia laughed. I just continued drinking, this is really good.

 

"I guess I'll be your personal bartender for the night." 

 

"You don't have to. You have work to do." I said.

 

"It's fine, we have many bartenders around. Just call me if you need anything." 

 

"Thank you."

 

I looked around and saw Danny talking to some guy already, seriously? The others are on our table with drinks. And Sam is..

 

"Hey." behind me. "Why are you drinking a martini?" She sat beside me.

 

"Lizzie also asked me that." I laughed.

 

"Hello another friend! Drink?" Thalia asked Sam.

 

"Uhh Margarita. Thanks." she looked back at me. "You're close with the bartender already?"

 

"She's Lizzie's friend." I said 

 

"Danny is totally enjoying the night." She said, I also glanced at Danny who's now laughing. We made an eye contact and he winked at me. Silly.

 

"So is Ethan." I said when I saw Ethan talking to a girl.

 

"Well that's interesting. Ethan's trying to flirt again." She said. Ethan stopped entertaining girls when he broke up with his ex last year. This is the first time we see him being interested again.

 

Sam excused herself to go to the comfort room. I finished my drink.

 

"Hi! Can I buy you a drink?" Some guy suddenly said to me. 

 

"No thanks." I looked at thalia thinking if I should order again.

 

"I'm Jay, Are you alone? I can accompany you, you look new here." 


Thalia got closer to us and I gasped when I felt a hand on my waist.

 

"She's not interested." I heard Sam said.

 

"Oh are you together? I'm sorry." Then he left.

 

I cleared my throat. "Can I order another glass of martini? Thanks, Thalia." 

 

"Are you sure you're drinking that much?" Sam sat again beside me with her hand still in my waist. Like it's a normal thing to do.

 

"It's fine." She removed her hand when Thalia handed me the drink. My heart is still beating fast. "You should go back to our table."

 

"I'll wait for you."

 

"I'll drink this quickly then I'll follow right away." I took a sip again. She hesitated but still stood up.

 

I closed my eyes and breathed out when she walked towards our friends. I'll just drink this off.

 

Many people are entering the bar as the night went on. I finished my drink so I can sit with my friends already.

 

"You're a heavy drinker. You seem unfazed for someone who drank two glasses of martini." Thalia said when I stand up.

 

"I was thinking of getting another glass." I joked. She looked shocked. "But maybe later. Thanks, Thalia." She smiled at me.

 

I sat down beside Avery. 

 

"I'm proud of you lexi! You're drinking alone now." Liz shouted.

 

"Is she drunk?" They just shrugged.

 

"No!" Lizzie answered.

 

Danny and Ethan also came back afterwards. We just talked and continued drinking. 

 


It's almost 3am, we drank too much. Well the three of us, Me, Sam, and Ethan still looks fine. But the rest? Knocked out. I stood up to settle the bill at the counter. 

 

"Hi again Thalia."

 

"Please tell me you're not ordering a drink." I laughed at her.

 

"No, I'm getting Lizzie's card. Is the bill settled?" She gave me the card and the receipt.

 

"Kent gave a discount. You're still not drunk, are you a robot?" She joked and handed me a glass of water.

 

"Thanks." I drank it. "Maybe because I'm an athlete. Kidding. Thank you for tonight, we'll get going in a while. I'll see you when i see you." I smiled at her.

 

"I'll get someone to help you guys." 

 

 

We arrived home safely. Noah sobered up so he took Avery to their room. Ethan took Danny and the helpers supported Lizzie. I checked my phone.

 

Mom: How about friday honey?

 

"Hey Azi, when are you going to Sacramento?" Her ears are red, she's drunk.

 

"I think friday morning. I'm taking a shower first."

 

"Okay."

 

Me: Okay mommy. Could you book it in Sacramento airport? Thanks.

Mom: Got it!