Chapter 14

Can I be her?


I sat on a chair inside the room and closed my eyes. My head hurts like hell. I can still hear Madi's voice saying 'I told you so'.

 

I groaned, I have training later. 

 

"Here, you look like you're about to die." I frowned at her. "So–sorry, I wasn't supposed to say that out loud." She handed the water bottle and the medicine again.

 

"Fancy seeing you here, Alicia. Do you always carry a hangover meds around?" I took the medicine. "Thank you."

 

"I do actually. I transferred here in ucb, it's comforting to see a familiar face." 

 

"LA and Berkeley are not that close." I said. 

 

"It's for business, you know." Ah, of course.

 

A student announced that the professor will not meet us for today. It's 8am and my next class is not until 10.

 

"Can I see your schedule?" She handed me the paper, we have some same classes. 

 

"I guess we'll be together for the whole term. Let's go down, I think i need some fresh air." 

 

We sat on a bench under the tree. I breathed deeply and flopped my head down on the table. 

 

"Let me take a breather then I'll help you around." I mumbled.

 

"Thanks, I was going to ask for your help on that." She said. 

 

I closed my eyes, hoping that the meds will take effect in a few minutes. 


 

"You're early. You drive now? Why didn't you tell me?" Sam said when she entered the music room, she saw my keys on the table. I went here to wait for my first class.

 

"Yes, I was supposed to last week. But you were with.. you didn't tell me that you have a girlfriend.." This is ridiculous I sound petty.

 

"I didn't? At my party last year?" I shook my head.

 

"Sorry, I'll introduce her to you next time." 

 


 

"Congratulations on your graduation!" I gave them all a stem of rose. 

 

"Let's take a picture!" Lizzie said. 

 

I positioned to take a group photo of them. 

 

"With you Alex, of course!" Danny said and handed the camera to someone else.

 


 

"How's your last year in high school?" Sam asked me.

 

"It's going smoothly, luckily. Something happened? You suddenly asked to meet." I said. 

 

"No, nothing. I just wanted to treat you. For being there, you know always. But we rarely talk, I'm sorry Kira."

 

She's already juggling her time with college and their long distance relationship, then when they suddenly broke up 3 months ago, she preoccupied herself with studies and i don't know, orgs?

 

"We just saw each other two weeks ago on your birthday. And it's fine, you're all busy in college. It's understandable." I ate the cake.

 

"Still, the others got time to meet you. The person living on the same building doesn't." She chuckled.

 

"You're graduating like real soon... what's your plan?" She asked. 

 

"Maybe ucla? I don't know. Depends on my parents I think." She nodded. I passed all of the entrance exams I took so I really have choices.

 

 

"Congratulations Lexi!" They all hugged me and gave me a bouquet. They also greeted my parents.

 

My mom invited them for a celebratory lunch. She even thanked my friends for taking care of me while I'm here. 

 

"So.. you're really leaving?" Lizzie asked. My parents had to go first for important matters. We stayed for dessert.

 

"Yeah, next week." I answered.

 

"It's okay! LA doesn't seem that far. We can still go there anytime or alex can visit here." Danny said.

 

"Don't miss us too much." Ethan teased me.



 

"Alexis Kira!" I covered my ears.

 

"Do you want both of us dead?" I looked up at Danny. "Forget it you look like a dead person already." He continued.

 

"She said that too." I pointed my thumb to Alicia.

 

"Hello! I'm Daniel, you can call me Danny." He offered his hands, Alicia gladly took it.

 

"I'm Alicia." Danny looked back at me.

 

"You left your phone in my car. Where were you? You slept with Madi!?" I covered my face in embarrassment. "Jeez, that sounded inappropriate. I mean you went home with her." 

 

I reached my phone from him. "I thought I lost it at the bar." It must've fell when I took something from his car.

 

"You told them you'll go with me."

 

"I was supposed to, but I couldn't find you afterwards."

 

"I went home early, you did not inform me. You're lucky Madi texted Sam. You should go to HQ later." He said. 

 

"I can't I.." I looked at my side. "I have to tour her around, yeah." I eyed Alicia to help me.

 

"Ah yeah, that's right I'm a transferee." She added

 

"I'm just going to send them a message." He looked at me thinking, then he nodded. He faced Alicia and smiled at her.

 

"It was nice to meet you! Gotta go lexi, see you later." 

 

I unlocked my phone. Missed calls from sam and noah. I sent a message to the group.

 

Me: I'm alive... 

 

 

I spent the morning avoiding people by giving Alicia a tour around the uni. 

 

Liz: Let's eat at Hq. Head hurts, don't wanna be surrounded by people rn. 

Noah: Got it!

 

Okay great. 

 

"Let's eat at the cafeteria." Alicia only nodded.

 

I hastily stopped walking when I saw Sam and Jules walking towards us. I held on Alicia's arm and pulled her on the right.

 

"I have to.. check on something. Let's go this way." The two of them are talking so they must've not seen us.

 

 

I fixed my things and stood up when the last class ended. 

 

"Will you go home already?" She asked me.

 

"I have training."

 

"You're a volleyball player right?" I nodded. "I guess I'll head home first. Thank you for today Alex! See you tom." 

 

"No prob." We waved goodbye.

 

Madison: Hey I brought your car to your uni. I left the keys with Sam.

Me: Madi...

Madison: I'm sorry! She's the only one I saw. Love u kid!

 

Oh god. Lucky me, my phone is dying ugh. I hope she bumps into any of my teammates and just give my key. 

 

 

"Good work today team!" Coach said to us.

 

I showered immediately. I went out the gym and saw Sam sitting at the bench. She stood up when she saw me.

 

"Hi, Kira. I have your car key. You're not replying." She smiled.

 

"Sorry, phones dead. You should've handed it to someone inside."

 

"It's fine, I'm waiting–" 

 

"Az!" I heard Jules calling her, why did I even expect that she's waiting for me? I reached for the key.

 

"Gotta go. Thanks, Sam." I walked towards the parking instantly.