Chapter 4

Can I be her?

 

Today our team have a friendly competition here in Oakland. There are some familiar faces from different universities. Athletics community wanted to have a mini gathering for the coaches and athletes.

 

"Hey babe" i looked up at him.

 

"Hey Danny. Let me guess, you're early because you're hunting handsome athletes." Dina laughed at my teasing.

 

They wanted to watch even though i told them that this isn't a real competition.


"Shhh!" Aha! "Gang will be here in a few minutes."

 

I saw Noah walking towards us with my cousin.

 

"Hi Avery!" She smiled at me "Hey cuz, good luck."

 

"Are you in good condition lex?" Noah asked

 

"Yup!"

 

Our other friends are already here. The event will be starting in a few minutes.
 

 

There will be other set of team first before ours. We are still waiting at the bench near the audience.

 

"Don't hurt yourself lexi." I saw Liz leaning at the rails.

 

"Aye aye captain!" I joked at her.

 

I am just going to enjoy the game. I play as the setter, ever since high school I play this position. This types of event are fun starter for the real competition.

 

Our team name is called. I removed my jacket and get into the position.

 

I saw my friends and waved at them, they started cheering loudly. Seriously! they look so funny, they're like stage parents


 

We enjoyed the game and with caution. I don't want to have an injury before the real match.

 

We finished the game winning. I smiled at our opponents shaking their hands. That was fun. I can hear my friends shouting, geez.


 

The ending ment will happen here because this stadium is the biggest. Other athletes from different sports are coming in. 
 

 

"Alexis" right she's also here.

 

"Hey Madison" 

 

"Congrats on your win." i heard she won too. She's a swimming athlete from bcc.

 

"Congrats to you too." She smiled

 

"Come on, when will you accept my party invites Alex?" She said laughing.



I met Madison through Kiarra, she's actually a fun person to be with. Not a funny type but the cool type of person, she's always chill with everything. That's why we clicked even if I somewhat hate socializing.

 

"Sorry, I'll try to go next time."

 

Lizzie called me to pick her up in some bar. I think it's a private party.


"I really like you Alex" 

I looked at Liz, she's so drunk. I gently pulled madi away from the car.

"Is your drunk state talking?"

"Maybe, maybe not" she said slightly smiling

"I'm sorry Madi, I like someone else." I smiled sadly at her.
 

 

"If it's because of Hailey, sorry I can't uninvite her. She will just go to any party even without invitations." she said jokingly. I looked at her, hailey again? What does that girl have been telling people.


"Hailey has been talking about you to the girls, saying she's interested in you." She must've noticed my puzzled face. "Tell me if she keeps on bothering you, i'll handle it."

 

"Don't worry about her, she won't bother me with Lizzie around."

 

"Right hahaha. How are you lex?"

 

"I'm good. How about you? I heard you're starting with the modelling career." 

 

"I'm shocked you're hearing news about me and yeah, Kiarra introduced me with some people." Oh right she also does modelling.

 

"Of course Madi, you're my friend."

 

"I'm honored to be one of the few people great Alexis is calling a friend." We laughed. 

 

The event ended.

 

"I'll see you at Ethan's party lex." She hugged me. I just smiled and nod at her.


 

I approached my friends and saw Liz waving at Madi.

 

"Do you need to go back to Uni? Let's hang out at Lizzie's place." Ethan said while puting his arm on Sam's shoulder who's busy with her phone.

 

"No, I think it's fine for me to go with you already. I'll just send a message to coach."

 

"Noah accompanied your cousin first, he'll follow later." 

 

"Okay"

 

"You and Madi?" Danny whispered to me.

 

"We're friends" why are they quiet now

 

"Since when? And nah, she looks at you differently." Does she?

 

"Since last year." It was Kiarra's year end party with her close friends and family only.

 

"That long!?" Sam turned to us

 

"Why are you so surprised? We both knew Kiarra." 

 

He looked at me in disbelief "Does Lizzie know? It's always shocking that you actually know and is close to many people, you're not that sociable." 

 

I glared at him "Yes she does. You're just saying that I'm not friendly. Did something happen earlier?" They're really unusually quiet. 

 

"Nada, Lizzie is just recharging from her cheering earlier." Sam looks bothered though.

 

"I'll ride with Danny and Lexi." Liz sitting in the shotgun seat. Danny started driving.

 

"I didn't know you and Madi kept in touch after.." she heard huh. I thought she was too drunk to remember that night.

 

"After what?" 

 

"Madi used to like lexi, or she still do?" 

 

"I knew it! She was looking at you adoringly."

 

"We're friends."

 

"For you maybe, but for her? I think it is hard to move on from liking you lexi." Lizzie said chuckling.

 

Danny side eyed Liz. "I already cleared things with her." I said.

 

"What did you tell her?" Danny asked. That I like somebody else.

 

"That I'm too busy." Yeah too busy.


 


We arrived at Lizzie's after buying groceries. Noah wanted to cook for us.

 

"I'll help you." I offered.

 

"No, you just had a game earlier. Take a rest."

 

"It's fine, it was a fast game. I'm not that tired. I'll cook the pasta."

 

"Okay." He started cutting the chicken.

 

Sam entered the kitchen and sat at the counter top in front of me.

 

"Do you need help?" I shook my head.

 

"What are they doing?" I asked her.

 

"Looking for something to watch. I didn't know you and Madison are close, you don't go to any of her parties." 

 

"Right. It was really unexpected." Noah added.

 

"Danny said the same thing, that I'm not that sociable." I laughed "We met through Kiarra." 

 

"I thought you met her when Marcus dragged you on some group date." I frowned at Noah, I remember that.

 

"Ugh. I ran away from that, they got to meet those girls because some of her friends wanted to meet me. I stayed a few minutes and reasoned out. I can't even remember their faces." I continued cooking. 

 

"Ethan said he thought you and Madison had a thing." Sam said. 

 

"She's not my type." I said. I finished mixing the pasta. Looks yummy.

 

"What's your type then?" Sam asked, I stared at her twirling the pasta in my fork. 

 

"Like Rosè from Blackpink." I absentmindedly answered, I blew the pasta and brought it to . I got surprised with what I did.

 

"Sorry–" I almost pulled away when she held the fork with my hands and ate the pasta. 

 

"Hmm so good!. As expected from the owner of a restaurant." She said. 

 

I transferred it to a plate. Noah also finished grilling the chicken so we called everyone.

 

 

"What song do you want to learn?" Sam asked me. 

 

It has been a few weeks since she started teaching me how to play a guitar. I wasn't supposed to really do it, but she insisted that it would be fun. Now I got the gist of it. I can play basics.

 

"What do you suggest for a beginner?" I asked her back. She thinks for a sec.

 

"How about The only exception by Paramore? I think I also played that the first time.

 

"Do you like that song?" I asked while browsing for the lyrics.

 

"I love that song." She answered.