Chapter 23.2

Can I be her?


Jules: Can I ask for a favor?

Me: Yeah, sure.

Jules: Could you drive me to fremont? Just one way, my parents will be there.

Me: Okay, just text me the day and time.

Jules: I think it's next friday, before dinner. Thank you!

 

I didn't reply and closed my phone. I went directly to hq.

 

"Good morning!" Noah greeted me.

 

"Am I the first one here?"

 

"Yeah, I think Danny and Lizzie are still on the way. Coffee?"

 

"Sure, thanks. Have you seen Alex around?"

 

"Not yet, I'm not sure if they have training too." I guess they have a break for some time after the season.

 

 

I saw Alex walking with Alicia, she wasn't going to the hq for the past few days. She seems fine now, I hope so.

 

I bumped into Lizzie on my way to class. 

 

"Why do you look grumpy?" She asked.

 

"I'm not?"

 

"Sure. You have plans tomorrow?" I think tomorrow's the night Jules was asking about.

 

"Yeah, why?"

 

"Too bad, I was gonna ask you to hangout. I'll just ask Lexi later."

 

"Will she go to hq later?"

 

"Yeah, I think so. Although, I haven't seen her around that much."

 

"She's been with Alicia almost everyday." Okay I totally said that in a bitter tone. I saw Lizzie grin. "Stop, I know what you're thinking."

 

She shrugged, "I'm not saying anything. What are you're thoughts about Lexi dating someone?"

 

"Why are you suddenly asking that?" 

 

"Why can't you answer?" She asked in a teasing tone.

 

"I don't know... I'll be happy for her I guess."

 

"Kay. Why didn't you get back together with Jules?"

 

"Because I don't want to. What's with the questions?" I frowned, she's weird.

 

"Don't you ever think that it was because of someone else?"

 

"What? Me not getting back with my ex?" She nodded, because of someone else? What does that mean? "I don't get it."

 

"You know, that maybe you like someone else so you didn't think about getting back with your ex."

 

"I don't think so."

 

"How about Alex? Do you see her as a person that you can like romantically?"

 

Alex? Me and Alex? That's.. I don't know, that's a totally complicated situation. Isn't it weird? 

 

"You're taking too long to answer, how about hypothetically?"

 

"Hypothetically speaking, I think she is the perfect person to date."

 

"Then would you?" She smirked, what is she up to?

 

"No.." well, first of all, Alex is one of my closest friend. "Where is this conversation even going?" 

 

"Nothing, just curious. And.." She looked around, "I think Alicia likes Alex, more than friends." 

 

Oh, it's not like it was that shocking but it is still unexpected. When Lizzie notices how people are acting around Alex, her deductions are always 98% true. 

 

"I just want us, her friends, to be supportive if anything happens. Since you're fine, I think there wouldn't be problems." She continued.

 

"You're the protective one with Alex."

 

"And I was fine with the two of them hanging around more often, you're the one whining about it. Gotta go! I hope you won't realize things when it's too late." She said walking away. 

 

Sometimes I can't understand what's running around Lizzie's mind. 

 


 

We entered Jules' grandparents' house, no one's around except for their helpers. 

 

"Do you need to go already?" She asked.

 

"I can stay for a while." I think her family members are still on their way so I decided to wait with her. 

 

I noticed a familiar kid in a picture frame on their living room, I couldn't look closer so I just brushed it off.

 

We went up to her room, I've been here in the past but I think some things in their house changed. 

 

We just rested quietly. 

 

Nicholas: I think you should tell Lexi that you and your ex are long way over.

Me: Really? Why?

Nicholas: Just because. And don't you think it's necessary since she saw something.. ugh what do you even call that.

Me: Okay, actually I've been thinking about that. I was hesitant because I thought it was irrelevant, but thanks.

Nicholas: Okay, good!

 

We heard some people chattering.

 

"I think someone's home already, we can go down." Jules said.

 

She greeted her aunt I think but I was more focused on the girl sitting in front of the baby, she looks so familiar.

 

She suddenly stood up and I was shocked. Alex? Our eyes met but she didn't say anything and avoided my stare. Why is she here? Are they family? 

 

Their grandma insisted that I should stay for dinner and I just accepted because of Alex, I wanted to know what's happening. Is this too much? Am I crossing a line?

 

She wouldn't even look at me but I just kept on glancing at her, especially when their grandfather started questioning her.

 

She calls him sir, I wanted to comfort her when their grandpa keeps on talking to her with authority but flashes a sweet smile when it comes to Jules. 

 

I can't believe Jules is lying to her grandpa, she failed those exams! And he keeps on lecturing Alex even if she has the real achievements.

 

Alex went out immediately, I told Jules I'll be in my car. I looked around while walking to their parking, I saw Alex talking to her brother.

 

Luckily she went to the parking after a while. They're cousins, but neither of them told anyone about it. She said it was Jules' call, she's right, she was respecting her decision.

 

"Is that why you hated Jules?" that's not it, "That's not–" I messed up, she looks disappointed. 

 

"Did I ever try to ruin your relationship with her?" No! No, you never did that. 

 

"I'm sorry.." I couldn't say anything, I'm such an idiot.

 

She walked away. I brushed my face with my hand, I'm getting frustrated. 

 

"Hey, are you going home? You can st–"

 

"You knew I was gonna see Alex here," I said devastated, "Why did you lie to your family? You knew what was gonna happen. Did you plan on making me watch Alex get condemned?"

 

"Why do you always take her side?" She asked dumbfounded.

 

"I don't! But I know you're poisoning your grandpa's mind into thinking that she's doing things wrong." She looks taken a back, "I figured that accurately, right? I'm leaving."

 

I drove away immediately. I hate this! I know I hurt Alex, I was supposed to be making her feel that there's someone on her side. I'm so stupid!

 

 

"I messed up." I said sitting beside Ethan.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Here's the thing, Alex and Jules are cousins." His eyes widen but I stopped him from talking, "And I said some words to Alex that I haven't think thoroughly."

 

"That's the real plot twist, they're related!" I glared at him, "Okay sorry, but what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be talking to lexi right now?"

 

"I'm scared, what if she won't let me apologize."

 

"What if she does. Come on, it's Alex." 

 

"Okay, I'll do it tomorrow."

 

 

I heard that they're back to training today so I went to the gym early, I even saw Alicia entering the court. 

 

I turned around when I saw her going out a few minutes later. I'm not gonna waste this time so I'll wait for Alex to go out too.

 

I saw some athletes went out freshly showered, I guess she's also done. Luckily, I saw one of her teammates.

 

"Hi, Dina right?"

 

"Hello! Are you looking for Alex?" I nodded, "She's still in the locker room, come." I followed her inside.

 

I thanked Dina when she called her. She looked surprised to see me here. 

 

We talked, I explained that I didn't mean what I said. Alex is just.. she's so understanding. I don't think she could ever hate someone.

 

"Kira, uhm.." how do I say it? Me and my ex, we're not back together? 

 

"We're good, don't worry." She brushed her hand on my arm, it felt warm. 

 

 

"Why did you agree on going with them?" We're on the way to a cafe Alex and Alicia was going. 

 

"Because I want to watch something closely."

 

"You think Alicia have something on Kira too?"

 

"Yes, what are you feeling about it?"

 

"Lizzie said we should just support what could happen."

 

"I know, I'm asking what do you feel."

 

What do I feel? What should I feel? 

 

"Happy, I guess."

 

He chuckled, "Okay." 

 

I'm watching how Alicia brushes her hands on Alex's hair, arms, and back. They're right, she likes her. I don't think Alex knows, things like this could be normal for her because of Lizzie. 

 

I'm wondering what she'd feel when Alicia would confess one day, will she reciprocate her feelings? But I noticed with the looks Alex gives to her, I think she would. 

 

"Listen to the song playing, it's good." Ethan whispered.

 

This night is sparkling, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, blushing all the way home
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
That this night is flawless, don't you let it go
I'm wonderstruck, dancing around all alone
I'll spend forever wondering if you knew
I was enchanted to meet you

This is me praying that
This was the very first page
Not where the story line ends
My thoughts will echo your name, until I see you again
These are the words I held back, as I was leaving too
soon
I was enchanted to meet you
Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you
Please don't be in love with someone else
Please don't have somebody waiting on you

 

 

I don't get what Ethan was planning, he doesn't have a training as far as I know. Why did he ask Alex to drive me..

 

But I guess this is my chance to ask about her and Alicia.

 

"Kira," She glanced at me, "Sorry, it's nothing." She thought it was about our misunderstanding.

 

No, I don't think I should ask about that, I might sound like a curious teenager. Also, I don't want to meddle with her life or love life.

 

 

I glanced at Alex and Alicia at the rear mirror, they're leaning on each other giggling. I sighed, it feels weird, seeing her close with someone other than us. I'm so petty.

 

 

"You look.." Lizzie studied me, "I don't know what to call it. You look like you just had a headache. What is it?" 

 

We walked side by side walking around the park, we totally enjoyed the last time we went on something like this. 

 

"I think I just lack on sleep." I cleared my throat glancing again on Alex. I guess I won't get to hangout with her today.

 

 

I sighed the nth time, this is ridiculous. 

 

"Just reminding you, we're supposed to be enjoying the place and the breeze is refreshing." Lizzie said, "What's wrong?"

 

"I don't even know what's wrong with me." I stopped at a stall selling cute things, "Maybe it's the weather."

 

She laughed, "The weather is so great today. Just admit that you're getting jealous. Atleast you get to ride the kart with her."

 

I faced her, "I'm not." 

 

"When will you ever acknowledge your feelings?"

 

"I don't like Alex that way." 

 

"Fine, don't ever come running to me when you've cleared your mind. But I'm telling you, when Alicia got her timing, you'll be regretting things."

 

 

Maybe I am jealous, but of course I still won't admit it. It's just because she's just new to Alex's life, maybe I'm just used to gatekeeping her, maybe Lizzie infected me with her overprotective syndrome. I stared at Alex taking care of Alicia. 

 

But why? Why does it feel different? I shook my head, no way. Not again.