Page 25

PAUBAYA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

⚠️ Violence

 

Karina wakes up with loud knocks outside her door disturbing her sleep. She can hear her mom calling for her.

 

She’s been stressed for days now. Jongin didn’t tell his parents about what they talked about. Now she’s thinking of going to them and tell them directly she’s calling off the wedding. Her father promises to accompany her.

 

She can’t believe he continues the wedding planning like nothing happened. She tried reaching out to him but he kept avoiding her.

 

The wedding coordinator still keeps updating her. And she keeps ignoring things regarding the wedding. 

 

And now, there's another concern of hers, her mother, furiously banging on her door. 

 

She groggily opens the door and her mom enters without warning. 

 

“What’s wrong with you? I’ve been told na hindi ka na sumisipot sa mga appointments niyong dalawa ni Jongin.” Pagalit nitong litanya.

 

She sighs. This is she has been dreading about. She has to tell her.

 

“Mom. I called off the wedding.”

 

Her mom's eyes widen in disbelief.

 

“You what? Are you going crazy?!” She shouts at her.

 

Napapikit na lang siya. But she’s somehow ready for this. She knew she’d react like this.

 

“I can’t marry him, Mom. I’m sorry but this is my decision.” She’s calm. She wonders how many times she has to say sorry for the next coming days and how many times she’ll tell everyone that she’s not getting married. She’s ready and aware of the consequences. That somehow makes it easier for her. She already thought of what to say and do. There’s no turning back. She refuses to let anyone dictate how she is going to live her life. Not anymore. 

 

Nasapo ng ina ang ulo nito and walks back and forth in front of her. “Nahihibang ka na ba? What’s gotten into you, huh? Hindi ka ba nahihiya kay Jongin at sa pamilya niya?”

 

“Maybe I’m crazy, Mom. But I don’t care anymore. I just want to live my life.”

 

“Bull!” Sigaw nito. “What about us? Hindi mo ba naisip na malalagay ang pamilya natin sa kahihiyan? Bakit mo ‘to ginagawa?!” 

 

Her mother is going ballistic at this point. Though she knows about her temper, she’ll never get used to it.

 

She knows she’ll get even more work up with what she’s about to say but she has to. “Mom, I’m sorry but this is my life. I care about our family pero paano naman ako? You’re forcing me to marry someone na hindi ko kayang pakasalan. I tried, Mom. I really tried it with Jongin. I thought I would be fine but I am not. I am not okay with these!”

 

Everything happens so fast that she just suddenly feels her right cheek stings. A hard slap has just landed on her face.

 

Her body trembles as she starts to cry. Her cheek hurts but her heart hurts even more.

 

“You’re selfish.Do you know that? You only care about yourself. Hanggang kailan mo papasakitin ang ulo ko sayo? You only bring me problems, do you know that? "

 

She scoffs as she stands there rooted while crying. “Selfish? I did what you wanted, Mom. Nakipahiwalay ako kay Minjeong noon because I chose you and our family over her. I sacrificed her for what you call conventional. For what is good sa mata ng lahat. Pero naisip mo ba ako? Natanong mo ba kung masaya ba talaga ako sa gusto mo?”

 

“Masaya? You could never be happy with that lesbian! You dare to blame me when I only think about your future?! I didn’t raise you para mapunta lang sa isang lesbiana! Do you even get my point?”

 

“You’re not listening to me, Mom. You never do. Minjeong, the one you call lesbiana, was the one who made me happy. The one I truly loved.”

 

“Love,” Her mom laughs sarcastically. "So, is this about that woman again?! After all these years, itatapon mo lang ang sainyo ni Jongin because of this bull!"

 

"Mom, I loved her. I still love her so much." She's tir

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter