Page 17

PAUBAYA
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Karina hangs out in the balcony at the back of their house after a hearty dinner with her family.  

She dips into her seat as she relaxes her body.

Finally, after a few weeks of struggling with family matters, peace has come to their home again.

Her father is back, her mother has calmed down and halted the divorce process. The company seems to be gradually coming back to normal when her father has taken over again. 

"Aren't you cold? Why are you here?"

She opens her eyes as her father speaks interrupting her alone time.

"Sorry to disturb you. Mag-smoke lang sana ako."

She sits up and nods her head. 

She watches him walks to the patio with his cigarette.

Now that he's back, he looks neat and presentable again compared to that time she met him at a hotel.

Tumayo siya following her dad. 

Her father looks at her as she stands next to him. 

She folds her arms in her chest feeling the cold autumn air.

Her father lets her as they stand in a comfortable silence.

"Dad, can I ask you something?" She speaks without looking at him.

"Hm?"

"I just want to know what happened between you and her."

She isn't sure if it's right to ask him that but she wants to know. She wants to make sure if his mistress is gone for good.

After a short silence, her dad finally says something.

"Can I tell you a story then?"

Her furrows her brows at him in confusion but nods anyway "Okay. I'm all ears."

Her dad sighs before he continues. "That woman was my first love before I met your mother."

She raises her eyebrows at that.

He pauses and looks at her probably checking if she wants to hear the rest of it.

"Go on."

"Ayaw ng lolo't lola mo sa kanya due to her social status so we broke up. I married your mother shortly after that."

Why does this story sounds familiar?

"I thought I was better off marrying someone else until..I met her again..."

"And you realized you're still in love with her..." She gulps as she finishes off for him. She is actually still mad and feels bad for her mother. But she tries not to judge her father so much at this point because she wants to fully understand.

Her father sighs before putting out his cigar. "And it doesn't matter now."

"We've just realized that recently. Hindi na kami gaya nang dati when we were young. Now things are more c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter