Stoplight Shooter

Flirt 'n Flair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

34 | STOPLIGHT SHOOTER

 

 

Baekhyun

 

 

I watch from a distance as painful knots warp up my chest. I want to get out there and protect my woman but Kyungsoo is currently holding my arms behind me right now, fearing that I’ll beat Hanbin’s . 

Of course, that’s what I want to do. 

Not only for Soobin’s sake but also my family’s who were verbally trashed by that son of a .

“Let them be alone, they need to talk about this. Her brother really went too far today and Soobin needs to talk to him.” Kyungsoo says quietly as I continue to try and break away from him. 

I close my eyes for a millisecond to keep my composure. “You don’t understand, Chef. Soobin wasn’t looking great anymore and this confrontation would not end well for her—she needs me, can you just let me go?” I plead. 

This time, Kyungsoo leaps in front of me, entirely blocking my view of what’s happening outside. “Baekhyun, listen to me,” He pushes a palm on my chest to restrain me even more. “If I were Soobin and a family member acted the way Hanbin acted towards my co-workers, I’d also want to discuss things with him because how he acted was not cool and could damage my reputation. Let Soobin do it for her peace of mind.” He lectures as if he knew better. I get his point but his point doesn’t necessarily apply to the current situation. 

“No, Kyungsoo, you really don’t understand—“ I try to peek over his shoulders. “—Soobin doesn’t handle confrontations that well and she will not feel so good later, trust me. I know Hanbin and nobody can ever get in that thick skull of his, not even Soobin. This will be a waste of energy for—“

Kyungsoo flicks his tongue loudly, his eyes darkening more in concern. “Baekhyun, stop this. You can’t baby Soobin just because you’re dating and—“ He briefly turns to look outside and it also gives me a better view when he moved his head. Soobin is now all curled in a ball as Hanbin grips her hand, trying to pull her up while yelling in anger. She’s not moving, her face blank and pale.

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. 

“Okay, scratch that. Baby her. I think you can baby her now. She’s not looking good, you’re right.” Kyungsoo suddenly takes back what he just said and completely lets go of me. 

Without wasting any time, I march out. 

Hanbin spots me right away and a loud insulting scoff comes out of him. “Of course, you’re here again. I’m gonna tell you the same thing, this has nothing to do with you so leave us alone, Baekhyun.” He glowers at me as if I’ve committed a crime just by simply existing. 

“I don’t give a rat’s right now, Hanbin. Just leave her alone, please. She doesn’t look too good right now, come on, man. Stop this.” I lift both hands just to keep this conversation as soft as possible. I lower my head to peek at my girlfriend who is now just staring off. 

“Is there something going on between you and my sister?” Hanbin continues, relentlessly dismissing my main concern. “You’d do anything to get to my wife, won’t you?”

I shake my head as I feel the creases on my forehead tightening more. “For ’s sake, Hanbin. Give it a break.” I grunt under my breath before rushing to Soobin. I do not have the ing energy to deal with this idiot right now. Not everything has to be about him. Especially not this moment. All I’m thinking about is my girlfriend and that’s it. 

“Hey,” I try to smile while tapping her cheek. She’s looking at me but it’s almost like she’s not there. She barely blinks as her gaze wanders off to a random spot on my face. “Soobin, talk to me.” I continue to tap her cheeks but I get no response. 

She has completely shut down. 

Just how bad did this conversation go for her to be like this now? 

I look up at Hanbin and I try to slap away his grip on Soobin’s hand but he doesn’t let go. “Can you just give it up? Please. Two ing hours, that’s all I ask. Just let her calm down.” I hiss. 

“Who are you to tell me what to do? I’m taking my sister home whether you like it or not.” Hanbin continues to try and lift the technically lifeless Soobin. “Come on, stop acting like a child and get up, Choi Soobin. We are done here.” 

I stand up again and face the son of a . “Look, I’m gonna be straight up with you. I have no feelings for your wife, not a single lingering one. I don’t even give a about what you did in the past anymore, so ing grow up and move on. Because I have.” I tell him. 

His expression almost faltered but he remains smug. 

And so, I continue. 

“And what else do you want from me? I have a ed up life until now because of the poor choices that you called me out on in the past many times. I have no money, no stable career, no wife, no kids. No ing future, as you always predicted. While you, you’re the complete opposite, right? You got everything, you’re so great.” I shame myself just to finally satisfy him. 

I hate it but this is the only way he’s going to stop bothering Soobin. If I basically kiss his mothering .

“Please, just please ... just leave your sister alone for a while, let her breathe. That’s all I ask. I beg you, for ’s sake, man. Do you see her right now?” I lastly say before taking a step back. Finally, Hanbin drops Soobin’s hand and that earns a subtle flinch from her, her head lifting more towards the road. 

She looks lost, completely lost in her own body. 

Her chest starts rising and falling at an unhealthy speed and her face is looking hollow as ever. Tears that I doubt she even feels continue to crawl down her pale cheeks, drenching the hem of her skirt that hugged her knees.

“Okay, I need to—” I turn away and run back into the restaurant as fast as I can. I ignore Kyungsoo and Miyoung who tried to talk to me on my way in. I arrive at the bar’s utility room and I grab my coat and my headphones from my duffle bag. 

“Baekhyun, what’s happening?” Kyungsoo tries to stop me but I just shake my head before stepping out again. 

When I arrive back at Soobin’s side, I see Hanbin already getting in a cab. “Wow—seriously? Did you just leave her like this—my goodness, what an .” I groan in disbelief as I bend lower to put the headphones on her ears. That earns me another subtle reaction from her. Next, I lay the jacket over her head to cover her completely. 

Normally, I’d prefer pulling her up and taking her back into her office but ... this has been her chosen position and I just have to make do with what I can. A parking lot beside a busy restaurant isn’t the most ideal place to calm down and sort your mind out but that’s why I put the coat over her.

I glare at any passer-by who would stare as they walk. I understand that this may look weird to some but I don’t give a right now. Soobin didn’t react negatively nor did she get up so I will stick to this now. Whatever works for her works for me too. Taking a few steps back, I lean on the brick wall by the restaurant entrance as I wait for her. 

Minutes after minutes, I wait.

She’s ready when she’s ready. I’ll leave it all up to her.

I’m not going anywhere even if my boss has been giving me the death glare from inside the restaurant. When it’s been past twenty minutes or so, Kyungsoo finally steps out with Miyoung. “Okay, seriously, what the is happening?” He asks but I only press a finger on my lips to shush him. He then repeats the same exact sentence in a whispered way and it finally makes me smile a bit. 

“Hey, is she even awake?” Miyoung muffles while laughing. 

I look down at my watch. Okay, fine, maybe I’ll check. I signal the couple to stay where they are as I quietly approach Soobin in her little cocoon that I have made for her. As careful as possible, I lay a hand on her back, gently her. “Soobin?” I quietly call. 

A heavy yet serene exhale answers me. 

I pinch the collar of the coat before slowly lifting it to peek. Yup, she’s asleep. An amused smile forms on my lips as I slowly slide the coat off her. She had her head sideways, her cheek rested on her crossed arms and it makes her look like a pinched mochi.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter