Floating on Cloud 9

Flirt 'n Flair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

13 | FLOATING ON CLOUD 9

 

Soobin

 

I get a feeling that I have never had before when I open my eyes. It doesn’t smell like home. It doesn’t look like home. I am not home. Anxiety rushes through my veins as I pull myself up from where I’ve been lying on—a bed. It’s not my bed. 

I almost topple off when I move too much, belatedly realizing that the bed wasn’t so big for me to do such a thing. I look around. Off-white walls with posters and sketches taped around—the sketches look like they’re made by a child. Boxes piled on one corner, a plastic dresser on another. There’s also a small desk by the window but it’s all piled up with papers and gizmos.

Then my gaze finally fell on the other side of the room on my left. Another bed, the same size, and there’s a Byun Baekhyun peacefully sleeping there.

A gasp escapes my mouth but I am quick to cover it with my hands.

Oh my god, I’ve fallen asleep in Byun Baekhyun’s apartment.

That’s only when I recall last night.

After that thing that happened between us in the kitchen, I remember finishing the dishes and heading to the couch to sit. Baekhyun said he had to steep the barley tea for a couple of more minutes after boiling before he could strain it. And while waiting, he started doing a few more chores which I believe included collecting the garbage around the apartment and a few more that he didn’t allow me to help him with.

And so, I was just sitting there waiting until—

How did I get here though? I’m sure I’ve fallen asleep on the couch. Why didn’t he just wake me up? Did he—my hands made their way back to my mouth as I imagine him picking me up and taking me to bed like a child.

This is horrible.

I am beyond mortified.

I quickly get off the bed as I look down at my watch. Holy crap, it’s only six in the morning. My alarm usually goes off at 7:30 AM and so I think I still have time to do my daily routine in the morning if I left now.

My breath stinks. My clothes are the same clothes I wore yesterday. Gross. And my face probably looks awful because of the smudged-up mascara and my—I bring my hands higher to my eyes. Where are my glasses? Where did he put my glasses?

I look around in a frantic mode. I rush to the bedside table that I find in between the two beds. It’s not there. Where is it? Maybe on the coffee table in the living room? I was brisk-walking my way to the door when I trip over something.

And this time, I couldn’t cover my mouth anymore when I yelped in pain.

Immediately, I hear a squeaky sound from Baekhyun’s side of the room when he sat up from the bed. I look down at myself as I half-split down the floor. A toy car lays on the tip of my foot that is extended forward. “—I’m sorry.” I hear Baekhyun’s husky bed voice as he rushes to me.

I eagerly shake my head as I cover my mouth. He can’t smell my morning breath. I cannot allow it. Even if he has it too, I don’t care. He kicks the toy car away before helping me to get up. “I’m sorry for waking you up—actually, I’m sorry for falling asleep too. You should have just woken me up last night.” I speak in my palms.

“Why are you covering your mouth? Did you hurt yourself? Let me see.” He tries to grab my hand down but I hop away from his reach.

“No, it’s not that—I just can’t—I don’t want to—I have morning breath.”

He doesn’t seem affected by my statement and just shrugs his shoulders. When he doesn’t say anything else, it gives me a chance to take a good look at him. Messy hair covering half his eyes. Swollen lips. A plain white shirt and black joggers on. And … arousal shaped against the fabric of his joggers.

I’ve seen it yesterday so I couldn’t be wrong.

I mean, I haven’t seen it. But I’ve seen it aroused.

From what I’ve read before, it’s fairly normal for men to have it in the morning. I believe it’s not because he found my unruly hair and messed up mascara y. It’s just how they operate. It has nothing to do with me.

So, I have to ignore it.

I swallow hard before speaking. “Uh—I was just about to leave. I feel very bad for taking away your alone time like this. I have to be at work at ten today so I might as well leave so that I can give you time to get ready for your morning job—”

“It’s my rest day. I don’t have clients. Just the bartending shift today.” He turns away and heads to the door to open it.

“You co—you could go back to sleep. I’ll be heading out on my own.” I tell him but he doesn’t make a U-turn and just kept walking to the living room. I spot my purse on the couch so I snatch it quickly before looking through it. I notice the case of my glasses isn’t here too. Where could it be?

“I put your glasses in its case. Here.” Baekhyun walks over to one corner of the living room beside the TV and picks up the familiar blue velvet case. “Don’t worry I just took the case; I didn’t look through your purse that much.” He then added with a straight tone.

So, this is how he is when he just woke up.

It’s … different.

But a good kind of different. It’s like a raw version of him before he starts anything in his day.

I never usually use this term but it’s y.

“Thank you.” I reach for it from his hand before opening it. I put my glasses back on and I finally get a clearer vision of him. “Anyway, I’m so sorry for falling asleep last night. It was rude of me. You could have woken me up, you know? I don’t get grumpy when people wake me up … if that was what you were worried about.” I assure him with a hesitant smile.

 Baekhyun shrugs his shoulders again before turning to the window, blinking tightly as if he was still quite in a daze. I couldn’t fight the smile that spread across my face so I quickly look away.

“I’m—I’m going ahead, Baekhyun. Thank you for welcoming me to your home.” I bid my goodbye to him.

A part of me wants to stay longer. A part of me wants to relish this side of him a little more. It’s my first time seeing it. I kind of like it so much. I almost want to see it every morning. He sits down in the dining area while he yawns.

Again, a silly smile takes over me.

“Okay, bye.” I awkwardly wave a hand before turning away.

“Oh, wait—your tea.” I hear his heavy and lazy footsteps when he made his way to the kitchen. I hesitated but I eventually follow. “I’m just going to pack it for you, you can reheat it at home.” He tells me as he pours it in a big jug. “Would you like some right now? I can boil a small amount for the two of us, it’ll wake you up better.” He then offers.

That kind of sounds good.

And also, that could wash off the stinky feeling I have in my mouth, even just a little.

But then that would mean I’d have to stay longer here. Which in theory, is what I would have favoured staying because that would give me more time to enjoy this version of him but at the same time, I do not believe it’s healthy for me to enable

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter