Espresso Martini

Flirt 'n Flair
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

05 | ESPRESSO MARTINI

 

Soobin

 

I always went to bed at ten o’clock. But it’s going to have to change and I have to emotionally process it in. It’s been nearly two years since I last adjusted my daily to-do list. The last time was when I started working at The Alley Cat where I was given the privilege to organize my own shift, thanks to Doh Kyungsoo. The thing is, he helps me a lot. By a lot, I mean, he shares the responsibilities with me.

Hence, I don’t get overworked like I used to. So, I was able to incorporate jogging in my daily to-do list in the morning and a quick run in the evening before I have to make dinner, do the dishes, answer my crossword, take a shower, blow-dry my hair, brush my teeth, go to bed, e, go back to the bathroom to wash my hands, change into my pyjamas and then finally go to sleep at ten o’clock.

It worked out pretty fantastic for me now that Kyungsoo is my boss.

But back to the main subject, there’s going to be some days where I’d go home after work, wait for three hours and then drive back to The Alley Cat to pick up Baekhyun because he always finishes at around ten o’clock. Either that or I adjust my shift again. But then, Kyungsoo might ask why and then I wouldn’t know what to say.

“Oh yeah, Baekhyun’s going to teach me so, in return, I’m going to be his driver as payment for his lessons.”

I can’t say that, can I?

Luckily, I live really close to the restaurant. It only takes me five minutes to drive there. I chose the location of my condo because it was close to SCORCH Steakhouse & Bar and it was very convenient to move to another restaurant just across from it later on. I didn’t have to change my route; the only difference is that I have to turn left instead of right. That’s it. Perfect.

My to-do list gets all jumbled in my head as I pull over in front of The Alley Cat. This is what I have decided to do. I am determined.

Anyway, so, I went home at 7:30 PM tonight. I scrapped off the quick evening run. I made my dinner and did the dishes which took me a total of one hour and ten minutes. Then I did my crossword, but I only did one page which took me fifteen minutes. So, I took a shower at 8:55 PM and finished in twenty minutes, like usual, then blow drying my hair took me another fifteen because I have a ton of hair. I brushed my teeth and then went to bed. I ed but for some reason, I couldn’t. So, after five minutes, I just gave up and washed my hands. I changed into my pyjamas and this is the trickiest part.

I didn’t go straight to bed.

Instead, I went out of my condo at 9:50 PM, went into the elevator—in my pyjamas, I have never done it before—rushed to the underground parking lot and hopped into my car.

And now, here I am, waiting for Baekhyun to come out. From the inside, I could tell that they were already closing. Do I go in and say hi? Oh god, no way. That would be terrifying. What would they say? How would they react?

I look down at myself. I am really in my pyjamas right now. I cannot believe this is happening. But this was my decision. I pleaded for a solution and this was the compensation for being able to have that solution. I have to do this and I am willing to do this.

Luckily, most of the staff who are left go through the backdoor because they all drive and we have a staff’s parking lot at the back. I am safe here. My heart raced when I saw Baekhyun walking to the entrance door. He was locking it. He does a double-take when I caught his eyes. His eyes were bigger than usual as he finishes the lock-up, presses the code on the lock system—doing all of these with his eyes still gawking at me—and sprints to the back.

Approximately two minutes later, I see him sprinting through the snow towards my car. I open the window of the passenger’s area as he peeks. “Hi, I’m here to pick you up.” I greet him.

“Oh , it totally slipped my mind, I didn’t think of our shifts when I said what I said. I didn’t realize you finish earlier and—oh my god, you’re in your pyjamas.” His forehead lands on the window frame of the car door. He raises his head again and his glare makes me flinch, so I look away.

“I’m fine with it. I made it work. It works, Baekhyun. Come in.” I say as I work on a smile.

Our eyes meet again and I try to determine his expression. Is he mad at me? Or does he have constipation?

I sigh in relief when he grabs the door and got in. “Okay.” He lifts both hands on either side of his face as if he was about to blow up. He sets the same hands against his bag that lied on his lap. “—just to be clear, you’re only going to drive me home whenever we have the—you know, whatever you—I mean, it’s like an actual payment for every session like—it’s not going to be all the time, it doesn’t have to be—”

“That’s fine. Then let’s do it tonight. Since I’m already here.” I suggest.

His eyes turn into balls again as he looks at me.

“The lesson, I mean.” I clarify and he laughs as he looks up to the roof of my car. “Yeah—I know that!” He grunts making me flinch. “Sorry, I wasn’t screaming at you, I promise.” He mellows down immediately. Crap, I need to control my reflexes better. I can’t be doing this every single time his voice raises. His voice is actually naturally like this. It could be because of the nature of his work where he has to be talking loudly at the bar all the time.

Honestly, I don’t know how he does it.

Like, I mean, I work in the same restaurant but I spend a lot of time in my office and I do go out to the floor. But it gets louder and busier during late nights for obvious reasons. Late after-work hours, drunk people, loud music and lots and lots of alcohol and food combined.

And I’m glad I’m done work by then. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be able to handle it. It’s just too much. I’m not big on parties and gatherings like that. I prefer peace and quiet.

“Anyway, uhm—” Baekhyun’s voice makes me attentive again. He looks out of the window for a moment, scratches his neck, runs a hand on his hair, before turning to me. “I need to know your history.” He says softly.

I nod as I look straight to think. Where should I start? I swallow hard as I nod once again. “I’m Choi Soobin, thirty years old. One-hundred-and-fifty-two centimetres. Forty-seven kilograms. Brown eyes. Black hair. Born on the twentieth of December of the year ninet—”

“Not that.” Baekhyun cuts me off.

I watch him close his eyes and it takes him a while before he opens them again. “Not the things that I already know, silly goose.” He states and if I’m not mistaken, he looks like he is about to smile.

“You know my weight?” I ask, horrified by the new information.

He looks away, runs two hands on his hair this time, and laughs. I look away to stop myself from staring at his teeth so much. They’re just so … beautiful. I adore his smile. A lot. I mean, look at me, I need wires around my teeth to fix them. Baekhyun had always had those teeth and I’ve never seen him have any procedures done. I have buck teeth growing up and I’ve always hated them. I got bullied and teased for it so as soon as I could afford it myself, obviously in my adulthood, I found a solution—or purchased it, technically speaking.

“Your history in , Soobin.” Baekhyun lowers his head but keeps his eyes on me.

The word and my name in one sentence, with his voice—it’s … chilling.

Before I take up too much of the time, I start driving. “Uhm, I have told you about my problems with my past boyfriends, right? That’s basically it.” I reply. He lifts a hand and shakes his index finger from side to side. “No, I want the details. I want to find out what exactly I need to teach. You know, to—to make this easier and fa—faster for the both of us.” He argues.

That, I don’t think … I could explain properly.

“I don’t know,” I say, keeping my eyes on the road.

I hear him sigh. Oh my god, I must be messing this up really bad. He’s already doing such a big favour and I can’t even cooperate the way he wants me to.

“Do we really have to … go there? Can I just start anew with the new strategy and information you’re going to teach me?” I suggest as I force a smile. Baekhyun clears his throat impatiently, a couple of times, and it makes me swallow hard. It was husky, it was firm, it was chilling. He almost smells like alcohol and it makes everything even mor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter