The Mixed Signal 2

Let’s Meet Halfway

"Wow! Lee Soo Ryeon is Minsi's housemate. I used to have a crush on her, it's just sad that she is already engaged." Hye Gun said. 

"As if she will notice you if she's still single, for sure she has many suitors in queue." Kwang Kyu replied.

"Aist..." Hye Gun acts like he is going to slap Kwang Kyu.

"Yah, the food will get cold, just eat!" Soo Chan told the two.

"I was wondering, how is Ms. Minsi now, she was really drunk last night." Kyungsoo said looking at Do Hyun who's been quiet for a while.

"I think she'll be fine, at least she has friends who looks after her!" Soo Chan answered. He knows Do Hyun is not feeling good about what they heard about Minsi and he understands why. 

"But do you think what his colleagues said were true, that she had a relationship with a married man?" Kwang Kyu asked while munching on some pickled radish.

"It shouldn't be our concern, didn't you hear, she was fooled she didn't know that the guy was married." Hye Gun said.

"Yah, you two can you just stop talking about that. You really like to gossip huh!" Soo Chan, chided.

Do Hyun felt the surroundings starting to gets stuffy that he stood up from his seat.

"Wait, you're not done eating, where are you going?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Need some air!" His simple reply. He can't stop thinking of what happened that night. It's not that he is affected of what he learned about Minsi but rather he is more worried about her. Honestly, he don't care about her past, it's nothing compared to his secrets. Her past will not change his feelings for her.

"I told you to stop, haven't you noticed that Do Hyun is sensitive when it comes to Minsi." Soo Chan said.

"But I don't really understand him. Why is he acting like that when he don't even have the  courage to ask her out when it's pretty obvious that Minsi likes him too." Hye Gun said. He's sure that the guy is not dense but he feels something is bothering him.

"I was wondering too, but do you think he is still interested at her after what we heard? Kwang Kyu  added.

"I think he is, maybe he just a little disappointed." Kyungsoo said.

"He has reason for sure! But then it's not our business, let's just enjoy the lunch! Huh! And stop acting like ajhumma." Soo Chan reprimand them.

***

The previous night....

Do Hyun stood from his seat. He decided that he'll stop Minsi from drinking and will take her home. She is pretty much drunk, the subtle sway of her head, from left to right indicating that she is already intoxicated, moreover her cheeks are now flushed. She also starts to blabber incoherent words. However, her colleagues seems more than drunk than her and he worries that no one will assist her.

He is approaching their table when one of her colleagues spoke.

"Oh, Soo Ryeon-si I'm glad you are here now.  "Minsi-Ah!" Soo Ryeon look at the younger girl who's head is already resting on the table.

"Aist, Minsi-yah! What is it again this time?" She approached her.

"Minsi-Ah, wake up, let's go home!" 

"Unnie, I miss you!" She hugs the older girl and clings to her like a koala.

"Why did you get drunk? Can you even stand?" Soo Ryeon face's displays worry, although she's used to seeing her drunk state. Knowing her drinking habit, could only means two things, it could be something is bothering her or she is just simply overjoyed, she hopes it's the later, they said that they finished a project so they have reasons to celebrate.

"I'm not drunk, Of course I can walk, like a super model!"  She starts to strut despite everything around seems spinning. "Oh, Jung Haeng Oppa you're here too! I'm happy to see you!" She blurted before she lost her consciousness. 

"Yah, Minsi-Ah! Oppa, can you carry her to the car?" Soo Ryeon asked Jung Haeng.

"Yah, let me!" Aist, Minsi-Ah, are you ok? She haven't change!" He lifted Minsi, he can't control laughing seeing the younger girl.

"We're sorry Soo Ryeon-ssi, I totally forgot that she has a low alcohol tolerance." Sun Min said.

"Aist, very low, I must say, she didn't even finish the second bottle." One of her male colleagues mocked her.

"Shut up, already!" Sun Min said.

"Ok, probably, she exhausted too, she often skips meals and sleep too, are you guys also like that in the office? I know you that your project is important but you should rest too." Soo Ryeon asked.

"I know, but you can relax now, we successfully closed the deal and thanks to Minsi, she lead the project really well." Sun Min replied.

"Babe, I'll bring Minsi to the car!" Jung Haeng suggested.

"Ok! We will go ahead. Go home safe!" Soo Ryeon bow her head politely.

"Thank you and congratulations on your engagement." Sun Min said

"Thank you, I'll expect to see you there. I'll hand over the invitation to Minsi! Bye!" She bid her goodbye to the team.

While Do Hyun wasn't able do anything for her. He goes back to his table while his co-worker gives his shoulder a light pat.

***

"Ms. Seo, here's the bill!" Kwang Kyu assisted the customer.

"Oh, thank you, by the way where is the handsome one who had assisted me the other day?" She was looking around, expecting to see the boy she is talking about.

"You mean, Do Hyun-ssi?" Kwang Kyu asked.

"So that's his name?" Ms. Seo whispered to herself.

"Ms. Seo??" Kwang Kyu asked, he noticed that the woman is blushing.

"Yeah, I just want to thank him for assisting me, that's all!" Ms. Seo replied.

"He is out with our boss, if you want I can rely your message to him." Kwang Kyu offered.

"Aniyo, it's nothing, I'll go ahead." Ms. Seo said still blushing.

"Ok..."

***

"Do Hyun-ssi Ms. Seo was looking for you earlier!" Kwang Kyu told him.

"Really, did she tell you the reason why?" He asked.

"Actually, she just want to say thank you because you help her! That's what she said!" Kwang Kyu replied showing his poker face.

"Do Hyun-ssi, look someone sent these to you." Hye Gun, carrying a box of cupcakes and coffee.

"It came from certain Seo Mina!" Kyungsoo  reads the message card.

"Yah, I was right, that lady has a crush on you! She pretty but not as pretty as Ms. Minsi." Kwang Kyu said cheerfully, while Hye Gun nudges his elbow.

"Ouch!"

"Yah, maybe she was just thankful, don't assume anything." He said.

"You know ever since you started working here, we have more female clients! I wouldn't be surprised if one day your female fans will send flowers or a food truck." Kyungsoo added.

"Maybe it just a coincidence!" He humbly said.

"We have a movie star here!" Hye Gun teased.

"I think you'll pass being an idol to be honest." Kwang Kyu seconded.

"What's going on here?" Soo Chan, got out from his office. 

"Do Hyun's admirer sent us cupcakes and coffee!" Hye Gun said.

"Really? Are you sure Do Hyun that it ok for you to share this?" Soo Chan asked while salivating on the cupcakes laying on the table.

"Yeah, it's too sweet which you know I'm not really fond of. Go guys and eat your share, it's obvious that it's for everyone!" He said looking amuse at the quantity of coffee's and cupcakes on the table.

***

He was parking his motorcycle when he heard a familiar voices behind him.

"Unnie, you don't really need to fetch me today, you still treat me like a kid." She whined. 

"And how should I treat you then, huh? This is the reason  why I'm  really worried about once I move in with Jung Haeng oppa." Soo Ryeon said.

"What if I move house too, not in your house but maybe to an apartment which is closer to yours. Besides, this neighborhood will be boring without you." Minsi said.

Do Hyun didn't mean to eavesdropped but he just can't just disappear there. He knows he can't avoid them and anytime they will notice his presence too.

"Yah, I didn't know you are that clingy. I think what you need is someone who will take care of you. Find a boyfriend and date already!" Soo Ryeon said.

"Here we go again!" Minsi retorted.

"I won't stop bugging you, like you always do to me!" Soo Ryeon laughed.

"Omo, Aist, it's you, I think we run across few time already, I mean in this street!" Soo Ryeon said, she was looking at Do Hyun who seems taken aback, he never thought that the girl will remember him, not even will notice him.

"Do Hyun-ssi!" 
"Minsi-ssi!"

They said simultaneously.

"Wait, you know each other?" Soo Ryeon was quite surprised.

"Yah, he works in the autoshop, he helped me fix Hero!" Minsi was first to speak while Do Hyun slightly bowed and rubs the back of his head to hide his embarrassment.

"Really, by the way I'm Lee Soo Ryeon, I'm Minsi's housemate." She introduced herself cheerily.

"I'm Lee Do Hyun, nice to meet you Soo Ryeon-ssi." He said,  before he gaze at Minsi. He miss her, although he is aware that he has no right to feel that way. After avoiding her too many times. He likes her but he can't wholeheartedly show it to her.

"Unnie, let's go!" Minsi, linking her arms to Soo Ryeon apparently avoiding his gaze. Talk about reversal of roles, Minsi seems the one now who's not comfortable with their interactions.

"See you around Do Hyun-ssi! Soo Ryeon smiled at him. He bowed his head politely before they turn their back and walk away. He watched the two walk away. 

"I was surprised you know him already Minsi-Ah, he is handsome you know!" Soo Ryeon whispered but still pretty audible for Do Hyun to hear.

"Aist Unnie, lower down your voice, he'll hear you!" Minsi rebuked.

"And so, I'm just telling the truth! It's not like I said something bad!" Soo Ryeon retorted.

"Ah, whatever!" Minsi, walks faster and left Soo Ryeon.

***

"Sure you don't want to join us?" Kyungsoo asked.

"I pass this time guys!" He replied.

"See you tomorrow!" 

***
"Myungsoo, be good to Halmoni and Jungtae Samchon!" Do Hyun is talking to his son over the phone.

"Appa, I miss you. I wish you were here!" The child whines.

"Appa miss you too, sorry if I can't be there with you always!"

"Because you have to work?" Myungsoo asked innocently.

"Yeah, but don't forget that Appa loves you!" He assured his son.

"I love you the most Appa." He heard his son said, before they hang up the call.

He is chilling on the rooftop of the building he lives in, it has a nice night view of the city. Summer still at it's peak and the air is still humid. He looked down momentarily and he saw a figure of a woman and a man across the street, although he can't hear what they are talking about it seems that the two are arguing He is usually not snoppy about other people lives but the girls seems too familiar to him. He stay still to observe and his hunch was right, the woman is Minsi.

He went down hurriedly to see what's going on despite that he is aware that he should not get involve on her affairs, he is intuition tells him that something is wrong with their body languages.

"Minsi-Ah, babe, listen to me first!" The man said.

"We're over, it's been two years and I'd already moved on." Minsi said frustratedly.

"But I'm not, I'd already filed divorce and she finally signed the papers. We can be together now!"  The man insisted.

"I said no, I don't want to be involved with you, is it hard to understand Chul Min-ssi." She retorted angrily.

"No, you can't leave me like this. I won't let you go. You're mine and no other man can have you." The man threatened her.

"You're crazy!" Minsi turned her back to the man but the man was quick to grabbed her arms.

Minsi yelped in pain "Ouch, let me go, you're hurting me Chul Min-ssi." But the man tightens his hold instead.

"You may not see it now but I change and I'm going to prove it to you. You are mine and I'm yours, we are meant to be!" The man laughed maniacally.

"Please stop, you're scarring me!" Minsi said trying to escape from his grasp.

"Babe, you still love me right!" The man touched her face which Minsi, tried to avoid.

"No, I don't!" She firmly said and it angered the man and made him to kiss her forcibly.

"Stop, please!" She cried because of pain and fears. 

Do Hyun act immediately upon seeing her hurting. He grabbed the man and punched him on his face. 

"Do Hyun-ssi!" Minsi screamed.

"Who the hell are you?" Chul min asked, while rubbing his already swollen face. 

"Minsi asked you politely to let her go, yet you choose to hurt her!" He said still trying to control his rage.

"Do Hyun-ssi, please. Let me handle this. I don't want you to get involved on this mess." Minsi pleaded, her eyes filled with tears.

"Are you ok?" He asked, checking if she is hurt.

"I said, who are to meddle on our conversation?" Chul Min stood up and throw punches on Do Hyun's face. However, Do Hyun has quick reflexes, he was able to avoid his attacks. The men continued to fist fight, but since Do Hyun is taller and quicker he easily made Chul Min to concede and back-off. 

"Do Hyun-ssi, don't fight with him anymore, you'll only get hurt." Minsi tried to stop him.

"You're mine Minsi, always remember that!" Chul Min said before he left.

Minsi ran to Do Hyun and wrapped her arms around him.

"It's ok, don't cry anymore, he can no longer hurt you as long as I'm here!" He told Minsi as he smooth her hair.

"You're hurt because of me!" She looked at his face and cried harder when she noticed that he is wincing due to the wounds he sustained. She touched his face and wiped the drop of blood on the corner of his lips.

"I'm sorry, Do Hyun-ssi!" She tightened her hug onto him.