The Confrontation

Let’s Meet Halfway

Minsi felt dizzy after she saw the pictures, some of those are her private moments with Do Hyun, them with his colleagues in Soochan's shop, them strolling around the city, there are even pictures of them kissing in the front of his apartment.  She can't believe that no matter how hard she tries to be private some people are still interested with her life. When she was younger she  was used to be surrounded with people who were tailing her and his father, she suspects that the people behind these could be her mother's family, however what bothers her more are the pictures of Do Hyun and the little boy who's with him in the pictures. She haven't meet any of his family members except Jin-ah who apparently became her friend in an instant. She knew few things about his family, his parents and Jungtae. His aspirations and dreams but this little kid, she has no idea who he is and what is his relationship to Do Hyun.

"Hey, are you ok?" Sun Min asked her worriedly.

"Do you know he who's that kid, is that his younger brother?" Sun Min's continues inquiries.

"I don't know!" Her simple response. 

"Just relax ok, don't assume anything yet. You better talk to Do Hyun." 

Sun Min is right, Do Hyun is the only person who can disclose the identity of the child in the picture. Although she can't avoid thinking that he is hiding something to her, she is curious of what could be his reasons perhaps? What does the anonymous sender knows about Do Hyun that she doesn't? There are many things that boggling her mind but she has to hear him first. 

"How can you be so proud, wrecking a happy family? I'd rather stay single than to be in a relationship with someone who is married!"

"Maybe out of desperation, I'm not surprised at all, she had that reputation."

"Let's not jump into a conclusion, maybe he lied to her? What I'm worried about is she didn't seem to learn from her past."

Her colleagues have split opinions about these rumors that are circulating about her. Though most of her colleagues are siding her, they know Minsi long enough and she already proved to them that she's a good person. Also her dedication to work is also commendable and her personal life should be taken aside as long as it will not affect her performance at work.

"Guys, do you think Minsi's new boyfriend is a married man? He seems young though!"

"Well, I don't want to judge her nor that guy. She's a nice person, though I'm concern that someone wants her to be in a bad light."

***

Minsi ponders, if she would confront Do Hyun or ask Jin-Ah first. She can't concentrate to work, people in the office are giving her odd look, like she did something wrong, like in her past. Her worries are reflecting on her aura and of course Sun Min and Mr. Hwang notice her uneasiness. They even discreetly suggested for her to leave the office earlier, so she can breathe and clear her mind. They know how vulnerable she is, when it comes to such kind of issues, while Minsi couldn't disagree, she's aware that she will never be at ease unless she will be able to speak to Do Hyun. 

***

Do Hyun immediately notices her behavior, she's quiet the whole ride and he knows that something isn't right.

"Hey, care to share what you are thinking?" Do Hyun's hugs her and gives light kisses her hair. 

"I'm just tired!" She frees herself from his hold.

"Don't tell me, you're tired of me!" Do Hyun pouts, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm tired of people who are keep on lying to me, I'm tired of people talking behind my back. I'm sick of hearing hurtful comments and judgments."

"Hey, I'm hear to listen, you can tell me everything."

Do Hyun can't hide his worries, he can somewhat sense that Minsi discovered something if not about him, it could be about her family.

"How about you, are you ready to tell me about everything?" She inquires.

"Minsi-yah!" 

Do Hyun was utterly stunned, his hunch is right, she might have heard something about him that made her upset.

Minsi look at him, waiting for him to say something but he remains silent and his face shows discomfort and fear. She frowns while she continues scrolling her phone. 

"Would you like to tell me who is this little boy?"

Minsi shows the pictures of him and Myungsoo. Those old photos when he was in Gwangju with his family.

"I'm sure, he is not Jungtae, Jin-ah, showed me some of his pictures that's why I know how he looks like."

"Minsi-ah, I can explain!" He utters nervously.

"My question is just simple, who is this boy Do Hyun-ssi?"

All of the sudden she addresses and speaks to him in a formal manner. The rumor spreading in the office is that the little boy is Do Hyun's son. She understands why people assume that, because the kid looks like him, their facial features are exactly the same. 

Do Hyun inhale deeply before he speaks.

"He is Lee Myungsoo, my son!" 

Minsi knew it, at first glance she can already tell. She closes her eyes to prevent the tears that are threatening to fall. She feels like her heart is breaking into pieces, she feels betrayed. She can no longer tell if she really know the man in front of her, the man she trusted and love with all of her heart.

"Minsi-Yah, listen to me first. I will tell you about him, it's just that!"

"Really?"

"Look, I have no intention to hide my son from you. I'm just taking my time to tell you everything about him!"

"I don't know, but what do you think you are doing? Do you believe that you can keep your son from me and the rest of the world?" Minsi's retort with slightly raise voice. Feeling disappointed is understated, she's furious because he conceal the truth about him.

"I'm terrible but please try to understand, do you think it's easy for me to not tell you about my status. I love my son as much as I love you! I'm trying my best to be good enough for both of you." Do Hyun sighs frustratedly.

"Then, I'll make your life easier."

"What do you mean?"

"From now on, you must focus on raising your son. Let's end this."

"Minsi-Yah, don't do this. Don't you think it's a drastic decision for us to break up? I understand that you're mad but I'm willing to fix everything. I chose not to tell you about Myungsoo because I'm afraid that you will not love me back."

"I'd been honest with you from the very start, you know what I'd been through, I lost both of my parents. I was fooled by my first love and I suffered from other people's judgements. Now they are talking behind my back again, they do think that I'm a heartless home wrecker, that I stole someone's else husband and father. I'm tired being misjudged, because I know my only fault is that I always fall in love with a person who wants nothing but to hurt me."

Do Hyun can't blame Minsi for feeling that way. She is right, she trusted him. She told him everything, her embarrassing and dark past which he accepts with no hesitation but in return he hide his true identity to her

"You did nothing wrong Minsi-Yah! It's all my fault because I'm coward. You're not a home-wrecker, you did not steal anything, because I'm yours from the very start. Myungsoo, he never had a chance meet his mother. She gave birth to him without my knowledge not until she decided to left him to us. What happened between was a mistake and my poor son was the result of my wrongdoing from the past! Please try to understand." He stutters as he try explain his side.

"I don't know if I will still believe in you!"

"Please believe me, what I'm saying is true, I got drunk and I don't remember anything that happened, I'm also surprised to know that I got her pregnant. We were not in a relationship neither."

"Then you should have told me soon. You missed a lot of chance. All this time, I feel so lucky because I thought I finally met someone who will love and accept for who I'am not knowing that person is actually hiding a bigger skeleton on his closet!"

"Minsi-yah, I'm sorry. I love you so much, that's the reason why I don't have the courage to say everything about me and my past. I'm scared that I might lose."

"Let's just stop talking for now, we're both shocked with what happened today. I don't think I can grasp any of your explanation because it doesn't make sense at all."

"Minsi-Yah! I'll tell you everything! Just give me chance!"

"Just go home Do Hyun-ssi!"

Minsi turns her back and closes the gate behind her. What happened that day is too much for her to handle, his revelation opens the wounds of the past which she thought were completely healed. Her mind tells her to listen and understand what he is trying to convey but her heart tells otherwise. She also thought, that her break-up with her former boyfriend was already painful, however nothing compares to the pain she is feeling right now. With that she knew the reason why the pain is unbearable, Do Hyun is her greatest love, the only man she will love this much.

***

Sleep doesn't visit Do Hyun, his guilt is killing him. She spoke to his sister Jin-ah and told her what transpired that day and as expected, she scolded him, though he understands. He ignored her constant reminder because he is waiting for the right timing. At the end of the call, his sister still console him and promises that she will help explaining things to Minsi. However, he denied her idea, he told her that he will find the right resolution to the problem he created for being dishonest. He will prove to her that he is worthy of her love, despite all the odds he will fight his love for her.

Days passes by and Minsi completely ignores Do Hyun. She took a break from work and decided to stay with Soo Ryeon ang Jung Haeng. The couple  couldn't take side between the two. Jung Haeng met Do Hyun and he did listen to his side of the story but they also respect Minsi's decisions, apparently she is hurt, her reasons are valid for being adamant in avoiding him.

"I know you are hurt! Just listen to what he has to say.  But don't push yourself to forgive him if you are not ready!" Soo Ryeon hugs Minsi who's crying nonstop on her bed.

***
"Give her time and space bro." Kyungsoo taps Do Hyun's on his shoulder.

"He is right for sure she will understand and will forgive you in the right time." Kwang Kyu seconded.

"It might take longer than you think but you have to endure it for a while." Hye Gun hands him a bottle of beer.

"I don't know how I can regain her trust, I hurt her." 

Do Hyun took a sip of the liquor, it taste bitter but it's nothing compared to pain he's feeling that moment. He's miserable, he misses her so much but he can't do anything, she is persistent in avoiding him and shutting him off.

"Just a piece of advise don't let this ruin everything in your life. You have a son who also relies on you. I'm not saying you stop pursuing Minsi, but try to use your energy improving yourself. Both of you need time off." Soo Chan speaks up.

"I know we have lot of work to be done, but why don't you take a break and visit home. Maybe you can think better when you see your son." Soo Chan suggests.

After contemplating, he agrees with his colleagues proposal. He badly needed a break, Minsi needs times too. With a heavy heart he pack his bag and headed to Gwangju, hoping he'll restore the courage to face all the hardships that he will come across along the way. Hoping to be better and braver person. He is determined to do whatever it takes to win back his one and only love.