His Life

Let’s Meet Halfway

"Do Hyun-ssi, are you sure you can handle everything on your own?" Kyungsoo asked. The boys were looking over Minsi who is lying on the couch, completely drunk.

"I'll take her home once she is sober." Do Hyun assures them.

"We will go then, see you tomorrow!" Soo Chan gave Do Hyun a light pat on his shoulder.

Do Hyun sat on the couch, silently watching the sleeping beauty in front of him. He can't believe how easily she got drunk. He allowed  her rest first until the effect of alcohol gradually  decreased in her system. He is worried that if she woke up still in drunken state, she would insist on driving the car. But seeing how peaceful her slumber is, he knows she won't wake up anytime soon. He gently brushed the hair that sticks on her cheeks, he smile at himself, he never imagined himself nursing her, he thought he is lucky though, he could stare and admire her beauty without being caught. He is still embarrassed with what happened earlier. He didn't mean to make the atmosphere awkward. He don't understand but the glances she bestowed makes him nervous. He can't help but noticed how she blushed everytime he looks at her, though he thought it maybe because of alcohol, his gut tells him otherwise.

An hour passed and Do Hyun also starting to get sleepy, until he heard a silent weep and it's coming from Minsi. 

"No, don't leave me!"
"Please!" 

Do Hyun noticed that she is sweating and struggling in her sleep. 

"Appa!" She scream.

Do Hyun nudge her lightly, "Min Si-ssi!" 

"Appa!" 

She woke up crying from a nightmare, she is oblivious of the surroundings that she hugs Do Hyun. He was surprised due to unexpected skinship while she was trembling because of fear. He hug her back and lightly soothe her back to calm her, he allowed her to cry her heart out, not minding if his shirt is filled with her tears stain. It's hurt to see her cry like this and he is willing to do whatever he can to ease her pain. That very moment he only wants to protect her. 

Minsi lifted her head and look at Do Hyun. "Are you ok, now?" Do Hyun asked while he tuck her hair between her ears. He noticed the fresh tears that are b again in her eyes but she still smile, using his thumb he delicately wipe them away. Both of them can't break away from each other's gaze, they don't know how long they stayed in that position but for Minsi she feels safe, while for Do Hyun he knows he's at home.

The next day he waited outside her house. He's mood automatically lighten as soon as he saw her sporting her lovely smile. 

"Here!" He gave her some hangover medicine.

"Thank you and I'm sorry for causing you so much troubles." She shyly said.

"I hope you won't get drunk again, specially when I'm not around." He realized that he might sounds like a protective boyfriend. "I mean, don't, I'm worried that something bad might happened to you if you get drunk like that again." He stuttered.

"Arasso, I also don't know what had gotten into me that I drank beyond my limit." She agreed "And thank you for not leaving me last night!" She added. 

***
"Hey, lover boy, tell us what happened last night?" Hye Gun greeted, while he is changing to his work suit. Do Hyun looked at him blankly.

"Do Hyun, come on, spill the tea!" Kwang Kyu joined in the conversation.

"Nothing, what is supposed to happen?" Do Hyun revert the question.

"Aist, I mean Minsi-ssi was drunk and we left the two of you alone. You know, she is pretty hot. You're lucky, because she seems into you." Kwang Kyu said flashing him a naughty smile. Do Hyun's didn't like his choice of words and it made his blood boils. Kyung Soo, noticed the sudden change on Do Hyun's facial expression and how he clenches his fist. He told Kwang Kyu and Hye Gun to stop the teasing." That's enough!"

Do Hyun walked out from the locker and go to his work station, leaving the three confused.

"What's wrong with him?" Hye Gun asked, while he zipped his jacket.

"Seems he didn't get any action!" Kwang Kyu laughed.

"Guys, just stop!" Kyung Soo reprimanded the two boys again.

"Ok,ok." 

Do Hyun remained quiet for the rest of the day, which was also perceived by his colleagues. 

"Look man, we are sorry if you feel offended!" It's Hye Gun who approached him.

"No, it's ok, I'm just a little bit tired. I guess!" He sigh.

"Soo Chan hyung is right, it's not just a simple crush! You got it bad bro!" Kyung Soo added. 

"We can't blame you, Ms. Minsi, she's quite a good catch." Kwang Kyu said which made Do Hyun smile bitterly. He agree to what he said, for him she is just perfect.

"So what's your plan? You should make a move before other guy snatch her." Hye Gun asked.

"I don't know, she's out of my league. A girl like her deserves someone better." He replied nervously.

"What are you talking about? The two of you seems compliment each other and who would not fall for that handsome face of yours?" Kwang Kyu give him a pat on his shoulder.

"Kwang Kyu is right, you should not feel intimidated, as far we observe, she is not the type who looks at someone's status quo and I feel that she is genuinely kind." Kyungsoo added.

"And I think she likes you too. If you worry not getting her parents approval, that shouldn't be an issue for now, just ensure that you'll win her heart first." Hye Gun said which earned thumbs up from other boys.

"Come on Do Hyun-ah, what's holding you back? Just show her that your intentions are pure, you already have an advantage and if you need help, you know we are here." Kwang Kyu said and the others nod in agreement.

Do Hyun, parked his motorcycle. On his ride home, he is contemplating if he will follow the advise of the boys and pursue her. They said that their status difference shouldn't be an issue. Maybe they are right but he can't let go of his fear. He wants to protect and love her but he is afraid that he might caused her pain. 

He is about to enter the gate when he heard someone calling his name. 

"Do Hyun-ssi!"

"Minsi-ssi, what brings you here? He asked, a bit surprised to see her. 

"I'm thinking of inviting you for a dinner, you know my housemate she still out of town, it's just feel lonely eating alone." Minsi asked that made Do Hyun taken aback. He notice that immediately, she is not sure but seeing his reaction made her feel that she is being thoughtless and he might have other plans . "Hmmm...if you're busy, it's ok. I'll go then!" she said bowing her head.

"I'd love too, I want to have dinner with you." Do Hyun blurted which made her smile.

***
"It's a new place and it's pretty popular too. I can't believe it's just few blocks away from our place." Minsi told him excitedly.  Judging the place it seems pretty expensive.  He is looking at the menu, when Minsi speaks again.

"Thank you for keeping me company tonight Do Hyun-ssi!" Showing him her sweet smile.

"I should be the one, to thank you for inviting me." He said, he can't help but smile back at her. 

"They say the steaks here are good, should we try it, what do you think?" She suggested.

"Hmmm...I'm ok with it!" He agreed.

The restaurant has a nice ambiance and good food but what's make the place more vibrant is the presence of this lovely girl sitting across him on the table. They converse like they know each other for a long period. The more he gets to know her, the more he is falling for her she is not just pretty, she is smart and kind-hearted too. Actually, he is running out of adjectives to describe how amazing she is.

"Wow, I'm a bit surprised to hear that you are from Gwangju." She said, before she sip on her drinks. "Soo Ryeon Unnie, she is currently filming a documentary there!" She continued.

"Ah, Gwangju is actually a good place. It's just a little concerning because people only know it because of it's dark history." Do Hyun exclaimed putting down his knife. He spend his whole childhood and teenage years in Gwangju, he only moved to Seoul when he was granted a University scholarship as part of Taekwondo varsity team. 

"Yeah, but I think it's quite fascinating. You might find it weird but I feel connected to that place. I remember, that Appa once tagged me along on one of his trip in there, he was a History Professor by the way. I guess that's how my inkling with Gwangju started. But unnie, also told me that I might be a reincarnation of one of the victims there. Hehe, her weird imagination and I don't like the idea that my previous life ended tragically." She said laughing and he laugh along with her.

They were walking on their way home, after that sumptuous dinner and fun conversation when Minsi suggested to grab some beer from a convenient store.

"Ah. I thought you agree, that you won't drink anymore?" He asked.

"Come on Do Hyun, it's just two cans and besides you told me I shouldn't drink if I'm not with you, but you are here so I'm not worried or anything." She continues to gulp on her beer.

After she finished drinking, she started to feel tipsy. Do Hyun noticed that she struggles walking and he offers to help and give her a piggyback ride on their way home.

"I must be heavy!" Minsi said, when she heard him sigh.

"No, you are light as feather, I think you should eat more." He retorted. He is somewhat nervous but still at peace knowing she is comfortable with  him.

"Hmmm, only if you promise to eat with me more often!" She exclaimed which leave him speechless again.

"Thank you Do Hyun-ah. I had a great time." She told him, now they are standing in front of her gate. 

"Are you sure you're ok now?" He asked, Minsi nods to assure him.

"Goodnight, Minsi-ah!"

***
Do Hyun toss and turn in his bed. He can't stop thinking about her eventhough it is just an hour since they parted. Just like the first time she saw her, not when he moved on this neighborhood but sometime 6 years ago in a cafe near his dorm. He clearly remember that moment, he was having a dinner with his teammates after practice, when Minsi and her group of friends entered the cafe.

"You see those girls, I heard they are pretty popular in SNU!" One of his teammates said.

"Rich, pretty and famous! If only I'm lucky enough to at least date one of their kind." His another teammate said. 

"Dream on, they are way out of our league, pretty much, their families will only favor lawyers or doctors to date their precious daughters. I'm actually surprised to see them in a shabby place like this." This time it's their team captain who speaks.

"It's an immersion, they are trying to experience and to relate to ordinary students like us!" His teammate said which gain laughters from the group. He curiously look at the people they are talking about, his teammates are right, the girls are pretty but this particular girl caught his attention. Her beauty is simple but mesmerizing, she have a lovely smile that reaches her eyes. His team captain notice that he is starting at the girls.

"Ahem...pretty boy, looks like you are smitten!" He said giving Do Hyun that knowing look.

"Hmmmm No..." he lightly shook his head to deny.

"Who are you kidding? Just a piece of advice, it's ok to stare but don't dare to touch nor kiss, or else your heart will be broken." And the other boys agreed.

"Whatever your plans, forget it!" 

Do Hyun, keep in mind what his teammates told him about meeting girls. He devoted his time studying and practice. He did plan on getting a part time job to cover some of his expenses but his father told him that he should focus on his studies and Taekwondo. His father was right, thinking the sacrifices and hardships he and his family gone through to get the scholarship should not go into waste. His family isn't well off, their only source of living is their flower shop business. His mother health condition isn't that great anymore and he has two younger siblings who is looking up to him. Though he still sometimes see the girl in the cafe, he decided not to approach her and he was just contented admiring her from afar. In those months her presence become his inspiration, hoping that in perfect time he will have the courage to properly introduce himself to her.

But fate seems have other plans for him, an event that unexpectedly ruined his plan and dream.

"Guys, this is Lee Do Hyun, he's a rookie member of Taekwondo team, please take care of him!" His coach introduced him to some organizers of their kick off party. 

Booze and foods were everywhere and everybody seems having fun. Loud music and student athletes were crazy partying. He found himself drinking too, he was introduced to some new people. He has a good control when it's comes to alcohol but that time he felt that he wanted to loosen up, he wanted to temporarily forget all his responsibilities and just enjoy the moment. He allowed the alcohol to run in his system for a while, he had so much fun, that he forgot everything. The only thing that he remember, is waking up in bed, beside the unknown woman. The woman woke up too; that when he realized that she was his senior and she told him to forget her and everything  that happen. In his mind, how he can forget when he don't remember anything. But that's what he did, he continue with his life as a student and as an athlete as if nothing happened. Not until...

His phone rings...

"Hello Omma!" He answered.

"Do Hyun-ah, you need to come home. We will bring Myung Soo to the hospital." It's his mother talking on the other line.

"What happened to Myungsoo, Omma?" He asked worriedly.

He hang up the phone, and immediately pack some of his things. He needs to go home, to Gwangju. Myungsoo needs him, his son needs him.