Coffee, Dinner and Us

Let’s Meet Halfway

The following morning Do Hyun meet Minsi and bring the car to the auto shop. The ride wasn't really eventful.  Minsi insisted to drive, while Do Hyun silently observe her from the passenger seat. As much as he try not to steal glances he can't help himself. He thought she is cute in her outfit, she is wearing a wide leg jeans, sleeveless cropped top and a sneakers which is different from the usual that she wears, nonetheless she is really pretty with her barefaced and simple get-up. He was completely whipped with this girl the first time he saw her when he moved in their neighborhood and last night wasn't the first. In fact, he sees her almost everyday, in the morning when she goes to work and sometimes at night, going home. He lost count how many times that he tried to approach her, but he always chicken out specially when she is with her roommate. It's not that they are intimidating, in his opinion they seems friendly more than the snob type and according to his landlord the girls are pretty popular in the neighborhood not only because they are pretty but they also have good personalities.  Over the short period of time staying in his new neighborhood, he hears more nice things about her everyday. However, he wasn't contented, he wants to know her more personally and he believe that luck was on his side that night when he saw her crying over her troubled car. 

"You seems in deep thought Do Hyun-si." Her focus is on the road, but she still gave him her adorable eyes-smile.

Do Hyun was slightly caught off guard but he managed  to keep his cool. "I'm sorry, just some random thoughts but no big deal." 

"Hehehe...it's ok! I also have that moment, I space out very often, which my halmoni really hates. I swear, I got a lot of scoldings whenever she sees me behaving like that." She is such a chatterbox and Do Hyun don't complain,her voice is calming and her laughters is music to his ear.

***

They arrived in the shop and was welcomed by Soo Chan his boss and the owner. After their short introduction, he asked Minsi to wait in the lobby as they inspect her vehicle.


"I can't believe you will go this far just to impress a girl!" Soo Chan hyung said in his preaching like tone. 

"I know and I'm sorry, I forgot that the shop is close today and it's already late for me cancel this appointment. He explained.

It's true that he tends to forget things sometimes, but meeting and talking to Minsi made him oblivious of the time and space and everything in between. When he realized that he made such deal with her, he immediately called Soo Chan to ask for help. He need someone in the shop so it wouldn't obvious that it is operating just to serve her.

He watched her over the glass window. She is lurking on some magazines when she suddenly look at their direction, she smile and happily wave  at them.  He smile and wave back at her giddily.

"You got it bad man!" Soo Chan still can't believe that the younger boy is acting like a lovesick teenager.

"Hyung, she is pretty right? He ask Soo Chan as if getting his approval.

"Pretty normal for me!" Soo Chan replied. "Aist, enough of that let's get working so you can go already on your date." 

***

Soo Chan, was explaining to Minsi the condition of her car when the girl interrupted him.

"Soo Chan Oppa, you are amazing, but to be honest I really have no idea what you are talking about, you know jargons and technical terms I don't understand them. I appreciate your effort though." 

Soo Chan sigh in frustration, which didn't go unnoticed to Do Hyun. He pat the shoulder of the older guy telling him to relax. Though he can't hide his amusement, her assertiveness is really something, she is trying to be polite but she can't keep her sharp-tongue in voicing out whatever comes in her mind. He is happy though, knowing this side of her.

"Ok, I get it. What I'm trying to say is that your car need to be confined here for further troubleshooting, it has more damage than it seems." Soo Chan continues.

"Oh, so how long Hero will be confined here." Minsi asked nonchalantly.

"Give us at least 3 days to fix it. The engine is not really in a good condition but the good thing is that you decided to bring it here for maintenance, you know prevention is better than cure.  I hope the timeline of repair is ok with you." Soo Chan replied.

"Hmmm...I already entrusted Hero with you so I guess I have no problem with that. Just promise me, that Hero will be well taken care of. She said lifting her pinky finger asking Soo Chan for a pinky promise which leave the older guy no choice but to comply. Do Hyun on the other hand is still amazed in everything she does. No one can change his mind, this girl is just beyond amazing.

***

Do Hyun and Minsi, we're enjoying their lattes  in one of the cafe near Han River. Since they can't bring her car, they bring his motorcycle instead. Do Hyun was dubious at first when he suggested to use his bike, surprisingly Minsi is happy with  the idea, according to her it is her first to tour the city riding a motorcycle and that excites her. He can't explain the giddiness he felt when she wrapped her arms around around his waist when he started the engine. She was a bit startled but she relaxes soon when he told her to do so. He drives carefully and assure her that the ride is safe.

"Why did you that?" She asked all of the sudden. Do Hyun, look at her confusely. "Why, did you and Soo Chan Oppa, open the shop when it is supposedly close?" She asked suspiciously. "I'm not usually nosy, it just so happened that I saw your schedule on the table." She continues with her interrogation. Do Hyun look everywhere except her eyes, but a surge of guilt made him to speak up.

"I didn't mean to deceive you or anything, but I lost track of the day and forgot our schedule when I told you last night to bring your car in the shop today. I just realized it when I already got home. I thought you will be disappointed if I cancel our plan so I asked hyung if we could open the shop and check on your car." He explained nervously. 

"So, I bother Soo Chan Oppa too!" She mumbled.

"Minsi-ssi it's not like that. Last night I saw how worried you are. I was pretty amused how you value your car because even if it's old. I saw how you smile when I told that I'll help you and I don't want to erase that smile of yours because I just got confused. I'm sorry and I understand if you are mad." Do Hyun explained feeling dejected.

"Hey, what's with that sad face? I'm not mad, how can I be mad when I know your intention is just to help, I'm a little bit upset and shy because I feel like I'm causing you troubles. Both of you should be relaxing at home instead of working." She retorted. 

Do Hyun raised his head and gaze at her eyes. "I'm sorry!"

"Yah, let's stop all this drama. I don't want to spend this afternoon feeling sad and frustrated. I mean, we should enjoy the view, our coffee and this cake." She said before she took a mouthful bite of strawberry cheesecake. 

Do Hyun can't help but smile because of her cuteness. Her sunny personality can brighten the gloomiest of all days and he agrees with her. He must enjoy the view and it is none other than this beautiful girl in front of him, whose smile makes his heart flutter. Soo Chan is right he got it bad. The more he sees her and the more he hears her talk makes him more drawn into her. 

"I'm just curious how did you become a mechanic? I'm pretty amazed actually!" Minsi asked while stirring her cup.

Do Hyun took a sip of his drink before he answered. "I'm not a college graduate, I drop my schooling on my 2nd year in Engineering. After that I was drafted to enlist, there I met hyung. We instantly click because we have the same passion for cars, engine and any type of equipment and he told me his plans about opening up his own shop. He invited me to join him, which I initially turned down.  My plan is to go back to school but an expected turn of event happened that I have to help appa in our small business. When we finally settles everything that's when I decided to meet Hyung and luckily, he didn't close his door for me." 

"Wow, you are lucky to have a good friend!" Minsi said. She was supposed to say something when Do Hyun suddenly touch the corner of . He was also shocked with his action. He lightly wiped away the icing on her lips. He knows he should have just tell her or give her a tissue but he still did it. He felt her shudder due to sudden contact but she still managed to smile at him.

"I'm such a messy eater, gosh I'm so embarrassed!" She said while wiping with the tissue. For the first she saw her blushed and he thought she is even lovelier when she is shy.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." He said still looking at her eyes.

"Hehehe; no worries it's ok!" She laughed obviously trying to erase the awkwardness. "It's still early to go home, maybe we can also have a dinner together, what do you think?"

"Of course, I think it's a nice idea hehe!" He answered, laughing at how fast she switch her personalities from being shy to being confident really quick.

"It's on me this time, you already paid for the coffee when it is supposed to be my treat." She said sporting a cute pout.

"Ok, but first you should finish your cake. It's obvious that you are fond of sweets." He said to her, mentally taking note of the things that she likes.

The whole afternoon they did talked about a lot of things. He was glad that she is comfortable sharing some of her stories and experiences about her work and personal life. He was raised by a single dad and live with her grandparents as a child. He also learned that she is not in good terms with her mother and that gap widen when her father died.

He was amazed to found out that this girl is not self-centered, how she encouraged him to talked about himself, like she is interested with him. She is more than just a pretty face, she is smart and kind. Though she can be brutally frank, she always says words with outmost sincerity. However, he didn't fail to notice that behind her cheerful personality, she is hiding pain and he feels that she is somewhat struggling. If it's about her relationship with her mother, he still doesn't know. They are still on the stage of getting to know each other and he is willing to wait until she is ready to open up. One thing for sure, he doesn't care if she have secrets, because who doesn't have. 

***

"Do Hyun-ah, thank you for the help today; for the ride; for the coffee and the dinner. Aist why do you have to pay for everything today when I should be the one in-charge? How come you have such talent to make me feel like I'm not capable of paying my own meals." Are you always like that?" She nagged as soon as she got off from the motorcycle.

Do Hyun laughed at her remarks "No, just don't worry about it. I really have fun today!"

"Nado, it felt like all the stress left my body even if just momentarily but at least it relaxed me. Thank you!" She said handling him his helmet. "About your jacket I'll return this after washed"

"Arasso, I'll let you know once your car is ready." She told her.

"Ok, by the way. I haven't got your number or know your  handle on Instagram." She curiously asked.

"Yes, my contact number, but I don't have Instagram and I don't do social media." He shyly reply. 

"Really? You are really something. I'm surprised, I mean people are now communicating through social media. Are you hiding something, a girlfriend, a wife or! She tried to kid him.

"Is it that bad, that I don't have!" He asked shyly.

"No, please, don't get me wrong! It's ok if you don't like those things. It's not everything, I mean there are other ways how you can communicate or talk to other people, some of those are old fashion but I guess it's more sincere." Minsi stated. "Look, I'm sorry Do Hyun ah, if I offended you or if I sound sarcastic sometimes." 

"It's ok, it's not that you hurt my feelings and I mean it! You don't need to change your behavior or manner of speaking just to please me. I like it, I like the way you are." Do Hyun said leaving Minsi flabbergasted.