The Meeting

Let’s Meet Halfway

"What's wrong with you Hero? Of all days, why now?" Minsi is starting to perspire, worry creeps on her face, time is running out and her car still doesn't start. "Aist, I have no time for this." She said to her herself as she grab her bag and sprint out of the car. She has an important meeting today, she can already imagine her manager nonstop rant if they will fail to close the deal and everything now lies on her hand. She has to impress the client or else the company might terminate her employment.

Luckily, she made it on time when she arrived in the meeting place her manager is already there.
"Go Min Si, why did you arrive just now? Her manager asked.

"I'm sorry boss, Hero, I mean my car broke. I just took a bus to get here. She explained, panting heavily as she run all the way from the bus stop. 

"Your car again, when are you going to dispose that rotten car? You are lucky that our client is late. If not I don't know how will I cover up for you. Remember it's might be your last chance, I'm pretty sure that you are aware that our big boss is keeping an eye on you, so stop slacking off and break a leg." Her manager said,  although he is a nagger-type of boss he is patient and understanding with her specially with her lapses. The old Minsi, is known to be a good performer at work, she was efficient and punctual, she used to be the go to person of her manager and other coworkers. She is someone you can rely on, not until that unfortunate event that changed the way other people look at her. 

"Congratulations Mr. Hwang and Ms. Go, that's  an impressive presentation. I will be expecting that you'll send us the copy of the proposal and the draft of the contract so we can set the date of the contract signing." Mr. Kim, COE of Kim's Marketing said, extending his hand for a handshake.

"Thank you, Mr. Kim, our team will handle this. Her manager said as he reach for Mr Kim's hand.

"That's great, Ms. Go, you can relax now, you did a good job." Mr. Kim said to her with a kind and assuring smile. She is still nervous despite that the elder already gave the assurance that they closed the deal.

"Thank you Mr. Kim." Her short reply , though internally she's screaming, still can't believe that she made it.

"Minsi, job well done for today! But please ensure to advise the legal team to prepare the contract. Also  check with the IT department if they are done installing the additional security code the client had requested." Mr. Hwang instructed as soon their client left.

"Yeah, Well noted on that Boss!" She said excitedly. Minsi works as a Marketing officer in an IT company that develops and provides services for in-house and customized Payroll, Procurement and HR systems.

"Are you done with your coffee? We need to leave now! I have another meeting, don't worry I'll give you ride back to the office. Her manager asked when he noticed that she leisurely sip her drinks.

"Yes, boss!" Her answer, as she finished drinking her coffee in a flash. "I'm done, we can go now!"

"Seriously Minsi, that coffee is still hot, it could burn your tongue." Mr. Hwang said out of concern but Minsi just flashes him her eye-smile.

***

"Aist, I'm dead-tired!" She said as she slammed her tired body in the couch. She just got home from the office, after the grueling schedule for today she thinks she deserves a good rest.

"Hey, would you mind taking a shower first, Yah Minsi, I'll set up the table for our dinner." Soo Ryeon, her tall and pretty housemate said.

"Unnie, I'll think I'll skip dinner, I'm so tired and sleepy." Her answer, still her eyes are closed.

"What the...you already skipped dinner 4 times in a row. What are you doing, do you wanna die?" Her housemate nags, pulling her out of the couch. "Get up!"

"Unnie, that's hurt!" She gets it, she'll never win against her. 

After she finished the shower, she go straight to the dining table. So Ryeon prepared Kimchi Stew,  braised beef and egg rolls for the side dish. They eat in silence when Soo Ryeon starts asking about her day.

"So, how's your presentation, did you close the deal?" The older girl asked.

"Yes!" She replied excitedly. "The client told me that he was impressed with my works and decided to sign a contract with us. It's my lucky day Unnie, at first I really thought it wasn't. You know Hero, broke down and wouldn't start,I took a bus to the meeting place instead. I came running late, but I guess the luck is on my side, we still closed the deal." She happily narrates  what happened to her the whole day. 

"So when are you planning to get rid of your car? You know I worry that you meet accident if you continue driving that of." So Reyeon said referring to Minsi's car.


"Yah, unnie that harsh! Instead of congratulating me, you are asking me to get rid of Hero, you are just like Mr. Hwang." She pouted. Hero, her car wad originally owned by her father. She took the ownership after the untimely passing of her father which she considered the lowest point of her life. Hero, despite being an old model is still reliable in some occasions, however she can't also hide the fact that the said car is getting more dysfunctional as days passed by.

"Look, I know it has a sentimental value to you but it's not serving it's purpose anymore. Your omma, even told you that. We understand if you don't want to totally discard it but at least get a new one. It's a necessity, specially with the nature of your work but your safety should come first and foremost." Soo Ryeon sigh as she explain her side.

"Hmmm...I just can't let go of it's memory and Appa loved Hero so much!" She smiles bitterly as she justify her reason to her roommate.

"Aist, you are really stubborn, why did I even try convincing you. Just let me know if you need anything.  Anyways. I'll be away for two weeks, the team is heading to Gwangju, you know shooting." Soo Ryeon said. She works as a researcher/writer for a documentary show in the leading broadcast station in the South Korea.

"Wow, is that a new scoop unnie or related to the 1980 uprising?  Her curiosity arises with what her roommate said.

"Yes, it is related to the remains that were found in an excavation site and our head writer wants me to work on that." She explained to the younger. 

"You must be excited Unnie, it's been talked of the town lately and I'm pretty sure your show will get high ratings once it's broadcast."

"Well, I hope so! I'm leaving tomorrow, so you are in-charge of the house. Better, don't skip meals and also clean the house if you have spare time!" So Ryeon instructed her.

"You sounds like halmoni! Arasso, arasso! Don't worry about me!" She annoyingly replied.

"And you sounds like a child, that need to be reprimanded all the time." So Ryeon retorted and their bickering continues. They are always like that, female version of Tom and Jerry but despite their love and hate relationship, Minsi really appreciate Soo Ryeon, she is someone reliable and trustworthy, having her in her life is like having a sister and friend rolled into one.

***

"Pizza everyone!" Minsi's manager excitedly announced as he entered the office carrying the boxes. 

"What's the occasion, boss?" One of her male officemates asked giving a hand to their manager.

"Well, I'm sure that you already know that we closed the deal yesterday and thanks to all of you for all the hardwork and  Minsi-ssi for her wonderful presentation." Her manager-nim said which turned her into a tomato face and she blushed even more when her officemates applauded her expect for one person in the room, Kang Eunbi.

"So what's the fuss all about, it's not even a big company!" She said irritably which silence everyone even their manager. Kang Eunbi, is a niece of one of the company's stakeholders. She is pretty and smart what they don't understand is her strong dislike towards other female employees specially to Min Si. Honestly, she starting to get on her nerves too, if only she don't need this job, she already gave her a piece of her mind.

"Just ignore her Min Si, she is just jealous and who cares if it's a big or small deal. It will still give additional  profit and revenue to the company." Her team lead said, giving her a light tap on the shoulder. The team didn't even mind what happened and just enjoy their pizza.

***

Min Si, was done cleaning the house. She received a call last night from So Ryeon aka her second halmoni to remind her of that. She was already arranging her wardrobe when she remember that she needs to check Hero. She is also planning to bring the car to a nearby auto repair shop for general check up and maintenance.

"Hello there Hero, I miss you! Let's check if your engine will start now! You can do! Aja!" She took a deep breath, close her eyes and insert the key on the keyhole to ignite the engine but she heard a strange sound and when she open her eyes she saw smoke coming out from Hero's hood. Due to fear that the car will explode she immediately open the door and run for her life. She run as fast as she can but she bumped into someone. Because of extreme fear she bury her face on the stranger's chest and cry her heart out. The stranger obviously was shocked and don't know how to hush her. Still sobbing, Minsi raise her head and speak to the man "Hero, I mean my car, he's broken and I can't do anything for him." The stranger smile at her cuteness. 

"It's ok, would you mind showing me your car so I check it? The stranger asked still amuse at her behavior.

The man go to examine the car. He open the hood and more smoke come out. Both of them cough from inhaling the fumes.

"Yah, be careful, it might explode." She warn the stranger.

"Don't worry, it will not!" He gave Minsi an assuring smile as he continue check the condition of the car's engine. Minsi has no choice but to stay behind. She just can't believe that the man is also carrying some tools with him in his motorcycle. She watch him as he fix the car, she even noticed the man's handsome features, he is tall and has a well built body. She swallowed a bit when he rolled the sleeves of his shirt, giving her a better view of his biceps. She thought, how come that she didn't know that a handsome man could possibly roaming around their neighborhood.  After a few minutes the man seems done fixing something inside the engine before he close the hood. He look at her and smile. "You can check it now!"

"Eh!" She said in hesitance. 

Sensing her reluctance. He extend his hand to her, Minsi still confuse with the man's action, she extends her hand out to hold his. She was stunned when the man laugh. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm asking for the key. It looks like that you are still doubting that it's safe, so I'll start the car for you instead. " Minsi was flustered, that very moment she wish that the earth would open up and swallow her. It took few moments for her to recover from the embarrassment. She looked down as she told the man, "It's already inside!"

The man, go inside the car, starts the engine and voila it work. He comes out from the car and gave Minsi a satisfied smile.

"Wow! Minsi exclaimed happily.

"Haha, I told you it won't explode. By the way the connecting wire of the battery stater was worn out that's why it won't ignite.  It's ok for now but I suggest that you bring it for repair and maintenance to avoid future problems." He explained.

"How did you know all of that and also I haven't see you here before, by any chance did you just happen to pass by? I'm sorry if I took some of your precious time, it's just that I don't know a lot of things about car, except that Hero is an old Model." Minsi shyly told the him.

"No worries, I'm happy to help. I work as a Mechanic in a nearby Auto shop owned by a friend. If you want we can bring your car there tomorrow. Also I live there." He said pointing the building across her house.

"Yah, you live there, in that building, so it means we are neighbors!" Minsi said excitedly. 

"Yeah, I guess we will run across each other more  in the future." He said. 

"Of course, by the way since I cause you a lot of trouble today. How much would be the fee for repairing my Hero?" She asked.

"Yah, no need to pay me, consider that as a help from a friend. I'm sorry but I mean is that we are neighbors right?" This time it's the man who seems embarrassed.

"Yah, that too much, I should repay your kindness at least." Minsi insisted, giving the man her signature eye-smile.

"Actually, it's really unnecessary but if you insist maybe you can treat me for a coffee or dinner sometime?" The man scratch his neck as she talk to Minsi. 

"Is that a discreet way of asking me for a date? She boldly asked the man.

"Eh!" The man short response, who was slightly taken aback.

"Just kidding, but I'm ok with that. I'm free tomorrow, how about you? Maybe we can go somewhere after we bring the car to the auto shop? Minsi continue.

"Sure!" His plain and simple answer, still shock at Minsi assertiveness.

"Ok then, let's meet tomorrow. By the way, we haven't introduced ourselves. "I'm Go Min Si!" she said extending her hand to the man.

"Nice to meet you Min Si-ssi, It's Lee Do Hyun!