Calm before the storm

Let’s Meet Halfway

Minsi stirs from her sleep, she woke up earlier than the usual, she stares at clock hanging on her wall. She took some of her time gazing at the beautiful man besides her. She won't deny it, she loves staring at his face, his handsome features makes her heartbeat faster. At this rate she is tempted to touch him but he looks peaceful on his sleeps and she doesn't want to disturb it. Slowly, she free herself from his arms that wrap around her waist. She is careful that her movement won't wake him up.

She goes straight to the kitchen, she decided to make breakfast, for her it's the most decent meal she can prepare. If she will compare her cooking skills to his, she knew she needs more improvements. She opted to make American breakfast, she gets some bacon and eggs, apricot jam, yogurt and berries from the fridge. She also spreads some butter on the bread for it to be ready for toasting. Do Hyun prefers black coffee in the morning so she also starts brewing some.

She hums cheerfully as she starts frying the food but she gets a little distracted when she felt his arms swathes around her waist while he rests his chin on the crook of her neck.

"You woke up early today!"

"Yeah, I just thought of making breakfast since you made the dinner last night."

"Need help!"

"It's almost done, why don't you just sit down and wait while I prepare the table." She suggests.

They eat breakfast as usual, they talk about their plans and activities for the day. Do Hyun also shares that he got accepted again by the university where he used to go to. Yes, he decided to continue his degree and Minsi is one of his reasons to finish what he started. Although it's too early to think of, he has plans of marrying her and raise a family with her, Myungsoo and their future children.

"That's good news!"

"I have night classes, MWF and whole day every Saturday." He explains.

"So it's mean you'll be busy!"

"Yeah, but I will try balance my time, work, school and spending time with you!"

"You know how much I appreciates you but you don't have to worry about taking me on dates all the time. I'm contented with what we have, at least I can see you everyday, it's enough for me."

"You are so understanding, I love you!" He holds her hand and kisses it gently.

"Just do what you have to. I'm so proud of you!"

***

"What's the commotion here?"

Mr. Hwang just arrived from a client's meeting with one of her colleagues. His staffs gathered around a table looking intently on the computer's monitor. Upon hearing Mr. Hwang's voice they immediately disperse, one by one they go back to their respective work areas. 

Sun Min explains that there are pictures and videos of drunk and wasted Eunbi uploaded and circulating in the internet. Apparently, there were people who took videos when she'd gone crazy in the bar. The videos clearly show her face and people are  commenting negatively about her behavior.

"Did she come to work today?" Mr. Hwang asks, he's trying to be objective, she is still under his teams and what she did could negatively affect the company's reputation once it reach the knowledge of their clients.

"She calls on sick leave, maybe a bad hangover!" Sun Min's retort. She's somehow glad that she and Minsi didn't accept her invitation or else they will be in trouble.

"When she comes tomorrow, tell her to go straight to my office!" 

"Yes, boss!"

With today's technology, the news about Eunbi's scandal also reaches Soochan and his team. 

"Do Hyun-ssi, Ms. Minsi should really stay away from that colleague."

Kwang Kyu was right, a person might be trying to look nice but when crisis arises it will reveal his true color.  

"Well, I think we should all be guarded."

***

"Omma, what are you doing here?"

Eunbi exclaims as soon as she open her eyes. Her head is throbbing in pain, she knew that her alcohol intake that night got of hand and it still surprises that she managed to go home safely.

"Why don't you eat this soup before you take that hangover pill?" Ms. Kang's offers.

"I asked why are you here?" She stamps her feet to show her annoyance. She's living alone in her apartment in one of a high-end residences in Seoul and her mother sudden appearance irritates her.

"I just want to check on you!" The elder calmly replies to her inquiry.

"You shouldn't be here, look at yourself! I don't want to become a laughing-stock of my neighbors if they see you!" 

"I'm sorry, I will go home after I clean the dishes!"

"Cover your face when you go out. I don't want other people to see you." Eunbi's harshly says to her mother before she goes back to her room and discards the breakfast on the table.

***

"Minsi-ah, are you sure you can handle the meeting without me?" 

"Don't worry about me Unnie, think about your mother's condition  first. You should go now to the hospital. I'm pretty much familiar with the presentation." She assures Sun Min.

Just an hour before their meeting with the client Sun Min received a call from the hospital reporting that her mother met an accident on her way to the market.

"Thank you Minsi-ah! Just let me know if you need something. You can directly access my files if needed!"

"Take care and drive safely, Unnie."

***

"Omma, what happened?" Sun Min asks worriedly. 

"I remember I was crossing and I'm sure it's red light but then this car suddenly appears in the middle of the street." Her mother explains.

"Hello, so you are the family member?" The doctor appears and approaches Sun Min and her mother who is now laying on the bed.

"Yes, I'm her daughter."

"You can relax a bit. There's no significant damage that was seen on her X-ray and MRI result but since she sustained wounds and bruises because of the trauma, she needs to be confined here for few days, so we can further monitor and  observe her condition."

Sun Min sighs, her worries somehow lessened as the doctor quarantees that her mother is now out of danger.

"Thank you, I'm glad to hear that Doctor. Omma did hear that you need stay here to recuperate. Why did you have to go the market when we just had went to grocery yesterday?" Sun Min subtly scolding her mother which made the doctor laugh.

"You run out of quail eggs. I'm planning to make some braised eggs, before I go back home."

"Omma, you don't really need to do that! Look, instead that you are enjoying your stay here in Seoul, now you're in the hospital."

"I'm sorry, I just thought you're not eating very well, look at you, you are so skinny!"

"I'm sorry but I must leave you two. I need to check other patients." The doctor interrupts the mother and daughter conversation.

"Yeah, thank you again Doctor Lee!"

"Omma, I'm sorry I'm just worried about you! I promise that I'll eat healthier food from now on. Just get well and don't makes us worry again."

"Arasso!"

***

"Minsi-ah, Do Hyun-si!"

"Unnie, how's your mother?"

"She's sleeping, the doctor said that she needs to stay here for few more days but she's ok, I'm glad that she had no serious injury."

"We brought you food! We thought you're to worried to buy meal for yourself. But you should relax a little." 

"Oh thanks, but don't have too!"

"By the way, boss told we that he'll visit here tomorrow with unnie!"

"I'll be at the office tomorrow afternoon. My older sister she'll come and will be in charge of taking care of Omma. I need to settle things first at the police station."

***

"So, how's your day?" Minsi asks Do Hyun as they settles on the couch.

"Pretty much the same but the university called me and asking me to report tomorrow."

"Oh, that's great! I'm really excited for you!"

A phone call interrupts their conversation it Jin-ah who is calling. Do Hyun excuse himself to answer the call. After about 15 minutes, he hangs up. Minsi can tell the sudden shift of his mood, his face shows uneasiness and eventhough she don't want to be nosy she still ask if the call he received has something to do with it.

"Aniyo, Jin-ah told me that something happened to Jungtae while he is playing but he is ok now!"

"Today isn't very good day for some, 1st Eunbi you know those videos, then Sum Min unnie's mother, now Jungtae!"

"I know, it's crazy! But despite of everything I'm glad that you are here!" He drops kisses on her forehead.

It's true that something happened to Jungtae, however his son is also involved in that matter. Myungsoo accidentally spilled his drink to Jungtae's school project and it was completely destroyed. He felt sorry for his son, cause he is not there to console him. Also, he could have freely tell Minsi about the whole story if she only knew about Myungsoo.  And one more thing, Jin-ah is now getting impatient that she scolded him for for the same concern which is telling about his son to his Minsi.

***
"Kang Eunbi-/ssi, you have to understand that everything that had been decided with concensus of other managers" Mr. Hwang explaining the sanctions in regards with Eunbi's scandal.

"I think it's unfair that they want to suspend me. It's not like that I killed someone!" 

"But, many people recognize you and also the bar owner filed complaints."

"I can't accept it!" With that Eunbi storms out Mr. Hwang's office.

She gets her things and look around and everyone in the office.

"You're all happy now! I'm suspended for getting drunk, while some people here are still worry-free even if did they something indecent like getting involved to a married man."

Obviously she is pertaining to Minsi. Everyone in the office can now tell that all the act of kindness and friendliness she showed were just part of her drama. Minsi remains silent, she is somewhat expecting that this will happen. From the very start she is skeptical with how she behaved and treated her for the past few weeks. Eunbi still hates her and clearly she has no intention of clearing things between them.

"Are you ok Minsi-ssi?" One of her colleagues ask.

She is close to tearing up, but she tries her best to be nonchalant about it. Do Hyun's presence in her life helps her to move on from her past, how easy it for Eunbi to make her doubt herself once again, just one statement and all bad memories flooding her mind, taking away her sanity.

***

For the succeeding weeks Do Hyun and Minsi become more busy. Do Hyun started attending school and most of his free time are spend studying or to compensate the hours he missed at work. Minsi however tries not demand anything instead she gives him her full support. She learned how to cook so she can prepare his meal after school or work. There are times also that she will wake up in the middle of the night to make snacks for him whenever he pulls an all nighter. She always encourages him whenever he feels exhausted juggling his time between studying and working. She helps him review, eventhough she hardly understands engineering concepts. And Do Hyun appreciates everything she does for him. She is one of his inspiration and he will do everything to make her proud.

"Minsi-ah, it's cold here!" Do Hyun, tries to wake her up. She fell asleep and curls herself in single-seated sofa as she helps him review for his upcoming exams.

"Let's go inside the room so you can sleep comfortably in the bed?" He suggests.

Minsi gently rubs her eyes and stares at him with her sleepy eyes. 

"No, you still need to review! Do you want coffee, wait for a while." She tries to stands up but instead Do Hyun lifts and carries her in a bridal style.

"Enough for tonight, besides I'm already exhausted. Let's just sleep ok!"

"Ok!" 

The next thing that happens is she feels the soft fabric of his matress against her back. He delicately cover her body with a duvet before he lays down next to her. He pulls her closer to him as they succumb to a very much needed sleep.

***

"What's this?" One of Minsi's colleagues exclaims as soon as she opens an email from an anonymous sender. Little she knows is that everyone in the office receives the same email.

Subject: History repeats itself.

She opens the link and saw compilation of Minsi's pictures with her ex-boyfriend (Chul Min) and her current beau Lee Do Hyun. 

It also shows picture of the two men with their family. Of course they already knew that Chul Min  is married but what shocks them is to see pictures of Do Hyun carrying a little boy, who exactly look like him. How easy it is for them to make some speculation that the child could be his son. But the most alarming is the caption below Minsi's picture stating "The home wrecker strikes back."