Extra Miles

Let’s Meet Halfway

Do Hyun is having the time of his life, watching Minsi sleeping besides him. He managed to convince his girlfriend to stay in his room for some morning cuddles before they start the day. But knowing her as sleepyhead, she immediately dozed off,  just within minutes of hugging, cuddling and smoothing the small of back. He let out a soft chuckle, remembering the times they sleep over at each other's place, those nights that they talked about their future and exchanging their confessions of love to each other. He will never get tired of this scenario. Waking up next to her, listening to her soft breathing , she grows more beautiful in his eyes each day. He wouldn't deny, he is sometimes tempted to kiss her senselessly in her sleep but he also made a promise that he will wait for her and for the right time. No matter how much he wants to make love to her, he hold himself back because he loves her more that he loves himself and he respects her.

She looks so peaceful in her slumber, he sighs in content, inhaling her sweet scent. That's enough to calm himself  and to ease the tension. That made him believe that his dreams all came true and he's holding it and he will never let go. He also recalls that the nights they spent together  are not always peaceful and dreamy, in the middle of the night he sometimes hears murmurs, she sometimes cries in her sleep. He is sure that she's an Angel, an Angel with broken wings. Just like him she experienced pains and losses and that motivate him to be the man she needs and she can rely on. He would do anything to ease her pain, he promised to make her happy, he is willing to give his life to her.

Do Hyun's light movements make her stirs in her sleep. Minsi squints her eyes to witness his brown orbs staring back at her. His gaze is mesmerizing and it melts her heart. She's never been this close to him for quite sometimes and she will never know how long it will take for her to not gush with the way he look at her. She gently touches his face and manages to flashers her eye smile.

"Oh my gosh, you know that smile of yours will give me a heart attack. You are so beautiful, you know that!"

"Don't die just yet, you promised that you'll take care and love me for the rest of our lives!" Minsi's made him giggles.

"I love you! I love you my Minsi-ah!" He gently smoothes the hair away from her lovely face.

"I love you more Do Hyun-ah!"

Her phone snoozes and that made her realize the reason why she woke up early. She planned to prepare breakfast for the family, but she ended up falling asleep again in Do Hyun's room. At first she was firm to say no when he suggested to stay in his room as he told her, he will help her in the kitchen. She can't understand the sorcery he casted on her that she agrees to him and now she's envelopes in his warm embrace, lying comfortably in his bed.

"What time is it?" She says in panic, while she frees herself from his embrace and sit up on the bed.

"Uhmm... I think it's time for my morning kiss!" Do Hyun's teases, pulling her back to lie on the bed

"Yah, I'm serious here, how will I go out from your room, what if they are all awake and already at the breakfast nook? What if they found out that I slept in your room, what if Jin-ah  would think that I always sneak at night just to be with you?" She says worriedly.

"And so, it's not like we never sleepovers. Do you believe  that they think that we don't do such things."

"What such things you are talking about?" She asks confusely.

"Couple things!" Do Hyun states.

"Yah!"

"Minsi-ah, what are you worrying about, I mean it's normal to hug, to cuddle and kiss the person you love."

"I know, but it so embarrassing!"

"For what, are you embarrassed that you are dating me?" He says with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"Of course not, look I'm sorry i didn't mean it that way! You know I love you and I'm always proud of you but we are at your parents' house. I don't want them to feel disrespected with my actions. I know you understand what I mean!" Minsi looks apologetic.

"I know and I understand, I'm sorry I make you feel uncomfortable!"

"No, my Love! I never felt that way, never ever that you made me feel like I'm not worth of your love!"

Do Hyun gives her an assuring smile. 

"There's nothing to be afraid and be embarrassed of. Didn't we promised that we will stick with each together, no matter what. Don't you remember that?

"I always will!"

"Good, because even you forget, I'll make it to the point that you will remember."

Do Hyun, slowly lower her head and gently capture her lips for a kiss. And like other kisses they shared, he clearly pour out his love. He delicately pull her closer to him, while she returns the favor. She can no longer deny it, his kisses make her hazy and weak in a good way. Good thing, that they are on his bed, because she knows that her knees will give up anytime soon. They made out for about 10 minutes totally forgetting about the time and oblivious of the place they where. But her phone snoozes again and that made her broke  the kiss.

"I hate it when your phone snooze like that!" Do Hyun sighs frustratedly.

"Saved by the bell." Her cheeks is still red hot.

"Kaja, let's get up. I'll go out first!"

She suggests.

"Are you sure you want to go out of the room with your lips swollen like that?" He smirks annoyingly.

"Yah, it's your fault Mr. Lee!" She retorts.

"As if you didn't enjoy it Ms. Go Min Si!"

"Yah!"

***

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee, spread around the kitchen. Mr. Lee is already sitting on the breakfast table, reading newspaper while his wife is setting the table.

"The kids are still asleep, should you wake them up Yeobo!"  Do Hyun's mother suggested.

"Let them be, after all it's holiday. Just let them sleep some more!"

"But the food will get cold!"

Do Hyun and Minsi, appear in the dining area. The older couple notice that Minsi is hiding behind their son's, probably still awkward from what happened yesterday.

"Good Morning Do Hyun-ah, Minsi-yah! Come and sit!" Do Hyun's mother greets them happily.

"Good Morning Ma'am and Sir!" Minsi's shy response.

Do Hyun delicately squeeze his girlfriend's hand, assuring her that everything will be alright.

"Your son and siblings, still asleep! Probably they are taking advantage of the holiday." His father says before taking sip of his soup.

"Minsi-ah, I'll just check on Myungsoo and Jungtae!" Do Hyun says as soon as he saw Minsi settles on her seat.

"Sure!"

"Good Morning, everyone! Oh Eunnie, you woke up early!" Jin-ah comes out from the room. She sits down next to her mother.

"Yeah, sorry! I didn't wake you up!"

"It's ok Eunnie! I hope you have a restful night!"

"I did! Thank you!"

"Good Morning, aunt Minsi!" Myungsoo excited run to approach her.

"Be careful!" Minsi reminds the young boy.

"Appa, I want to sit besides Aunt Minsi." The young boy sports his cute pout that will surely wins the heart of the elders.

"Arasso, but I hope you let Aunt Minsi have her breakfast in peace!"

"It's ok, Do Hyun-ah!" Minsi also flashes him again her eye smile while she helps Myungsoo to settles next to her.

He thought his morning is filled with cuteness, he can't wait  for the day that the three of them will live together in one roof. Their smiles are enough for him to be inspired to be the best version of himself.

"Yah, what are you waiting for? Let's eat before the food gets  cold."

The whole family share a heartily breakfast, they casually converse and exchange their thoughts about random things.

"My friends and I, will go out this morning." Jungtae asks permission to his parents.

"Appa, can I go with Jungtae Samchon?" Myungsoo asks Do Hyun.

"I'm sorry Myungsoo, but not this time!" Jungtae declines the request of his nephew.

"It's ok Myungsoo, I can play with you all day, I'm free from school works." Jin-ah tries to cheer the younger kid who's apparently disappointed with Jungtae rejection.

"Ok!"

"By the way, Minsi-ah, I'm just wondering if you can come with me to the Market, just need to buy some ingredients for Christmas Eve's festivity." It's Do Hyun mother who nonchalantly invites Minsi.

"Omma!" Do Hyun says with slight worry on his tone.

"What, your Appa told me that you need to help him fixing the old car? I thought Minsi will be free at least this morning!"

"Of course Ma'am, I'll be glad to accompany you to the market." Minsi says excitedly, she smiles to Do Hyun, to assures him that she's fine with his mom's idea.

"Great, I have listed down the things that we need. I could introduce you also to some of my friends, we can visit also Do Hyun's godmother's shop too."

Do Hyun can only shook his head in disbelief. But he trust his mother. Whatever her plan is, with the smile on her face and the warmth in her voice he is sure that she will not make Minsi feel uncomfortable. If his judgment is right, he thinks that Minsi already won her heart.

***
"She's pretty, seems nice and well-mannered . I'm happy that my godson finally has a girlfriend."

"Me too! To be honest I'm a bit worried, but she makes my Do Hyun happy. Even Jin-ah and Jungtae are fond of her and what's most important is that she gets along with Myungsoo. That boy sticks to her like a glue." Do Hyun's Omma proudly says. While watching Minsi who seems amazed with various cakes display.

"Minsi-ssi, come join us here!" Do Hyun's godmother invites her as she pours the tea on the teacups. She is the owner of the famous Woo Cafe  in Gwangju.

"You have pretty designs, I bet the cakes taste sumptuous too!" Minsi says giddily.

"Thank you for the compliment, but I think my stuffs are nothing compare with what you have in Seoul." Do Hyun's godmother humble retort.

"Aniyo, it's not far cry from what we can see in some cafe's in Seoul. Oh my God, this strawberry shortcake is so delicious."

"Really, I can see that you have a sweet tooth."

"Yeah, Do Hyun-ah always complain and reminds me not to eat pastries and cakes too often. He even scolded me and Jin-ah one time when we got home late because we went on Cafe hopping." 

"As expected with Do Hyun-ah!"

"Hahaha!"

Their laughters echo the bake shop.

"She's a great catch. It's clear as a crystal that she's in love with my godson. She can't stop talking about him." Do Hyun's godmother says in amusement.

Do Hyun's mother, Ms. Kim nods in agreement.

"I know that's why I'm afraid if things will not work out for them. I can't afford to see my son gets hurt again."

"Relax, On the contrary I would like to believe that they are destined to be together. It's fate that brought them together!"

"You think so?"

"I know so!"

***

"Minsi-yah, look at this picture." Ms. Kim shows Do Hyun's baby photo albums.

"Yah, no doubt Myungsoo is his carbon copy!"

"Exactly!"

"I thought, Do Hyun resembles to Mr. Lee a lot, but seeing these pictures he clearly inherited your eyes Ma'am!" Minsi says while smiling looking intently at Do Hyun's pictures.

"You really love my son! I can see it i your eyes."

"I guess, I'm that obvious." She says shyly. "At first I was hurt when I learned that he already has Myungsoo. I was too selfish that I want to be his one and only love. I thought of ending our relationship without listening to his side of the story. I shut him down, I shunned him away. I felt betrayed to be honest that I don't want to be with him anymore. But then he respected me and the space I needed. And those times that I'm away from him that's when I realized that I can't live without him. That my love for him is greater than my pride and selfishness." Minsi continues to narrates her story.

"Thank you for making my son happy and for accepting Myungsoo. As a mother, I fear that no one will accepts him because of his uncanny situation. But you are the answer to my prayers, your unconditional love to my son only proves that prayers work. My son and our family is truly blessed to have you!"

"I think it's the other way around. I'm the lucky one to have Do Hyun-ah. People think my life is perfect but the truth it is miserable. My mom left us when I was still young. I lost my grandparents, my dad caught up into scandals and was murdered. I also have share of wrong decisions that made me a laughing-stock of my colleagues, they gossip about me. I don't have many friends because people don't want to be associated to me. But Do Hyun, he doesn't care about my past, he always made me feel that I'm special and that I deserve to be loved. Besides Appa, he is the only one who treats me like a Princess and it's such a shame that I treated him bad when we I thought that he keep a secret from me."

"We understand what you'd been through, my son didn't meant to hide Myungsoo, from you and the world."

"I know, he loves Myungsoo so much and I'm proud that he is doing his best to give the best thing for Myungsoo.  Ma'am you know at first I thought I was just attracted to Do Hyun-Ah because is so handsome, but he is more than that, he is a good person, you raised him so well.  I can't help but fall in love with him every day. Yah, what I'm saying!  Forgive me I know it's a bit unusual for you to hear like I'm confessing how much I love your son but that's how I feel about him. I love him with all my heart and I would like to thank you for allowing me to be part of his life. I'm crazy! But I dream spending my life with him and Myungsoo. I want to be his family so bad that I can give up everything that I have just to be with him."

Tears start to escape from Minsi's eyes as she is speaking to Ms. Kim.

"Aigoo, you're such cry baby. Minsi-ah, from now on stop calling me Ms. Kim or Ma'am. I can be your Eomonni if you want. I know we cannot fill the void in your heart for losing your Omma and Appa at a very young age but you can count on us, you are part of our family starting now!"

"Ms. Kim!" Minsi says in awe.

"Didn't I just told you to call Eomonni?"

"Eomonni!" Minsi cries and hugs the older woman. How long she wanted to feel how it is to have a mother figure in her life. She is right Do Hyun's Omma just wanted the best for him and she will keep her promise that she'll continue love and make him happy.

***
"Merry Christmas!"

"Come on, let's go, the fireworks display is about to start." Jungtae says excitedly as he open the front door of the house.

"Myungsoo-ah, wear this first!" Minsi gently put a beanie and an earmuffs to the young boy. "It's freezing outside, you can't get sick, Arasso!"

"Arasso, Merry Christmas Aunt Minsi!" The young boy cheers before he follows Jungtae outside.

The whole Lee Family is now outside, waiting for the fireworks.  After a few minutes the sky is filled with colorful lights.

"Wow, it's amazing!" Jin-ah blurts while looking intently in the sky. Same with Jungtae, Myungsoo and their parents.

Just few steps away, Minsi felt Do Hyun's arms wrapped around her waist. Her boyfriend is giving her a back hugs.

"How's your day my love?" Do Hyun gently whispers on her ears.

"It's wonderful! Thank you Do Hyun-ah for asking!"

"I can see that you and Omma had a great time!"

"Yeah, we did!"

"Great!"

"Look love, the sky is so beautiful!" Minsi points out the sky using her index finger.

"I know, but that's nothing compare to the true beauty that I'm hugging now!"

Minsi, tilts her head to meet his gaze.

"God, I want to kiss you right now!"

"Don't you dare, the whole family is here!"

"I bet they'll never notice, as you can see they're all busy."

"You think so!"

"Yeah, look at them!" Do Hyun still convincing Minsi.

"Ok, but just a short kiss."

Eventhough it's a bit dark he can still notice that Minsi is blushing as she utters those words. And without any further adieu, he lower down his head and gives her light pecks on her lips before he passionately kiss her. This scenario just reminds him of the kiss they shared when they became official, their very first kiss.

They ended the kiss, it's too short for his liking but he is still happy that his request was granted. After all he has all the time to spend with her after this short vacation in Gwangju.

"Merry Christmas my Love!"

"In deed, it's the best Christmas ever!"