The Dinner

Let’s Meet Halfway

It's Friday night and the family members are expected to gather around a lavish dinner table. They keep this family tradition in Choi's Mansion for over 50 years. Outsiders can think it's a perfect occasion when folks gather, having fun discussions over sumptuous dinner prepared and served by some famous and high-class chefs in the country. It's a usual dinner for three, a father, son and a daughter but the spread could actually feed more than 10 people. But in reality nothing is appetizing if you'll only share it with people full of sarcasm and mockery. A family is suppose to help each other and not to fight. A family dinner is an event when you could talk about personal things not only business. A family members should glorify each other's achievements and not to redicule ones' shortcomings. For Hera, it's a nightmare to be stucked with people who only think about of increasing material wealth. She wishes the things were the same when she is still with her husband and daughter. The time when every dinner is a celebration of life and love, when they are happy just by talking even the most mundane things on earth. For the past 20 years she never thought that her life will felt this empty inspite of the wealth, fame and opportunities brought about by simply being a daughter of the so-called Chairman Choi, a well-known business tycoon and a founder of Choi's Corporation.

"Hera, I haven't see your daughter for a long time!" The man in his 50's said before proceeding in cutting the steak on his plate. He is Choi Woojin, the older brother of Minsi's mother and the CEO of Choi's Corporation. "I heard she's working as Marketing Officer, don't you think it's about time to convince her to work with us?"

Choi Hera, could only gulped when she heard what her older brother uttered. 

"Oh, I forgot she no longer considered you as her mother!"

Mocking his younger sister and her now estranged family seems to be his second nature. He despises her husband for his selfish reasons. 

"Oppa, leave my daughter alone!" Hera, tells his brother trying not to be intimidated by his arrogance.

After all these years he remains sly and manipulative. She understands his desires to be the sole heirs of the family, in fact she is willing to renounce her share of inheritance and position in the organization as long as he will keep his fingers off her daughter. 

They used to have a good relationship, he was a reliable brother.  Things changed when she started dating Go Man Soo, his Junior and rival in Law School and things got worse when they got married.

"Enough of that!" Charmain Choi, divulges. However, the old man already lost his appetite. He drops his utensils, pushes his plate away and stands up from seat, leaving his children who seems in dissension, but it's nothing new, the old man couldn't recall an instance that his children did not argue at the dinner. He sometimes feels that it's pointless for them to gather. But he is old and his only wish before he dies is to see his children get along and to reunite with her lovely granddaughter.

***

"Omma, Omma! Don't leave us!" Minsi brawls when she saw her mother placed her luggages inside a car's compartment. She runs towards her and clings on her legs as much as she can. Hera kneels down at her level and wipes the tears on her daughter's chubby cheeks.

"Omma, will be back and I'll take you with me. That's a promise my Princess."

"Don't go please! I promise to be good just don't leave me and Appa!" Minsi begged. Her heart breaks into pieces seeing how devastated her daughter is. Her lovely and innocent daughter.

"Ssssh...I know you are a good girl, but Omma have to leave! Appa will take care of you. Always remember that I love you! 

"No you are a liar, if you love me you will stay with us!"

"That's not true my baby."

"Enough of this drama, Hera get in the car now!"  Her brother blurted in full sarcasm.

Minis, throws her doll to the man and blurted "I hate you uncle Woojin."

"Aist, don't you have manners?" Woojin was about to grab little Minsi but Professor Go was quick to protect his daughter. He grab the man's collar with so much force.

"Hyung, don't you dare touch my daughter with that filthy hands of yours!" 

"Relax, brother-in-law, I'm just going to teach my niece a lesson, which seems you failed to do!" Choi Woojin flashing his annoying smirk.

"Oppa, Yeobo! Stop this already!" Hera tries to halt the tension between her brother and husband. Despite of the years she had been married, her family still can accept her choices. They make everything hard for her family.

"Leave!" Professsor Go, releases his grip to the older man. He cracks his knuckles to keep his emotions at bay for the sake of his daughter, she is still young to witness such kind of violence.  He is somewhat disappointed with his wife decision but he has to let go, it's the only way he can protect his child.

"Minsi-Ah, Princess! Omma will come back for you!" Yelping in pain as her brother forcibly drags her inside the car.

"Omma! Omma!" Minsi cries while professor Go, hugs her to prevent her from running after his wife and the moving car.

Those painful memories will be forever etched in their hearts and minds. She was able to keep her promise though, she came back to claim her family back, however it's seems too late. Her daughter don't care about her anymore. No matter how many times she tries reaching out for her, she will only repulses. Gone is the little sweet girl she knew, but she is still grateful that she grew up as a good person and the all the credits goes to her husband.

Her eyes snaps open, her body is covered with cold sweats. She feels terrible headache and heavy pounding in her chest. Heaven seems punishing her for the mistakes she did in the past. She wants to correct what she did wrong. She weakly sits on her bed and reaches for the pills on her side table, hoping to fall asleep again and reverse nightmare into a sweet dream.

***

Do Hyun and Minsi have been swamp with too many activities in their respective works. For Minsi, a busy day means reading long email trails, revision of quotations and proposals, debates with a project team's member and enduring hours attending client's meeting. On other hand, Do Hyun describes a busy day spending time with his reliable wrenches and welding machine. The shop has been receiving a lot of positive feedbacks from the customers and that appeases Soo Chan as an owner, through words of mouth their market also gets bigger and open opportunities for them to expand the business like adding more manpower and equipment to cater more clients. While Do Hyun is a great help with his exceptional skills and passion for work. He inspires his colleagues and together they learn and improve everyday.

"Minsi-Ah, the team would like to have dinner later, would you like to join?" Sun Min asked.

"No, I can't I have other plans for tonight! I'm sorry."

"No worries, just enjoy your date later!" 

If there's another person who knows Minsi well. Aside from Soo Ryeon and Mr. Hwang it's no other than Sun Min. They are friends since their college days and practically they are like sisters. She is one of Minsi's confidant and she is glad that she shares with her the important things that  is going on with her life. She is happy that she is now seeing someone, after all she'd been through, from her dating scandal and untimely death of her father she believes that Minsi deserves to be happy and someone who will cherish her. What she doesn't understand is despite that the poor girl chooses to live her life quietly, rumors and gossips appears to be  following her like a plaque. Employees in their workplace seems interested in everything she does while it remains a mystery that no one has discover yet her linkage to one of the wealthiest family in Seoul. Even Kang Eunbi who knows nothing but to spread hatred on her.

***

Do Hyun was waiting outside Minsi's office. Today will be Jin-Ah's last day in Seoul. The siblings invited Minsi to have dinner in his apartment. Both of them are thankful to Minsi for helping Jin-Ah while she is in Seoul. They weren't aware though, that there are eyes who are watching them from afar.

"How long you've been waiting, Do Hyun-Ah!" 

"Not long, I just arrived!"

"But let's buy cake first!"

Do Hyun, put helmet on her and they drive their way to his apartment. 

They arrive at his apartment and Jin-Ah had already prepared some of the ingredients they need.

"Oppa, Minsi Unnie!" Jin-Ah greeted the two.

"Wow, you prepared a lot!" Minsi says in awe seeing the amount of food they prepared. "By the way Jin-Ah we bought your favorite."

"Wow!" 

"What are we going to cook anyways? Minsi asks excitedly.

"Just leave it too Oppa, he's knows better than us." Jin-Ah says confidently.

She's well aware how good is her brother's cooking. He is actually good at everything, he is smart, he's good at sport, he's handsome and to top it all he's is very kind and responsible. The girl he will date or marry for sure is lucky except that he has an excess baggage. That is why she always pray that he will find someone who will accept and love him unconditionally.

"Jin-Ah is right, you are our special guest tonight. So relax and wait!"

"But I want to help!" She protests.

"Well, according to Soo Ryeon Noona, you don't cook at home." Do Hyun retorts.

"Well, I don't cook that often because I'm always busy but it doesn't mean I don't know how!" She defends herself with her slightly raised eyebrows

"Ok, if you say so, then assist me!" 

Do Hyun gives her apron. While Jin-Ah watch them in amusement, the two looks like a newly married a couple. They are seems lost on their own little world, oblivious of her existence and everything in the surrounding.

"Ouch!" Minsi yelps in pain when she accidentally   touch a hot pot. 

Do Hyun has quick reflex though. He immediately checks her hand and put in a running water.

"Jin-Ah, can you get some burn ointment in the medicine box inside my room." He instructs his sister.

"Are you ok unnie?" Jin-Ah asks worriedly while she handles the medicine to his brother. 

"I'm ok! There's nothing to worry!"

"Aist, you need to be more careful!" Do Hyun applies the ointment on her burned skin.  

"I'm sorry!" She says in a gentle voice. Jin-Ah on the other can't do anything but silently observes their sweet interaction.  And she really hopes that his brother would tell her asap about his son and his dilemma. She knew that it will shock her but she believes that Minsi has a good heart and she will understand. 

Do Hyun requested Minsi to rest while he and Jin-Ah prepares their dinner.

"Wow, we are really having feast tonight!" She happily exclaims.

"Unnie, you should try Oppa's Beef and Daikon Soup, it's the best!" Jin-Ah brags her brother's signature dish.

Minsi grabs her spoon and chopsticks and starts eating. She first taste the soup and so far she likes it, the sourness, saltiness and spiciness are well balance, next she takes a bite of daikon, she can say that he used a freshly pick one, it's crunchy, spicy and zesty. And lastly for the best part her favorite beef, she bites a mouthful of it, the meat is chewy and soft that it melts in the mouth. Actually she likes everything that they served including the side dishes like cucumber kimchi and soy-sauced quail eggs which Jin-Ah brought from Gwangju. 

"My God, this is the best beef soup I tasted so far!" Minsi says and Do Hyun blushes at once with her compliments.

"See, it's also the favorite of Jungtae and Myung.." Jin-Ah almost divulges Do Hyun son's name. She chokes as soon as she saw the panic in her brother's eyes.

"Jungtae, your youngest brother and who is Myung..!" Minsi asks with a curious and clueless  eyes.

The siblings exchange nervous smile, but Jin-Ah is quick-witted as always.

"Myungjae, he's one of Jungtae's playmates! Actually everyone love's Oppa's Beef soup." She smile at Minsi and to her brother who let out a sigh of relief. She laughs guiltily, she don't want to lie but at that moment she has no choice.

"Kaja, let's enjoy the foods while it's hot!" Do Hyun places more food on Minsi's plate.

***

"This strawberry shortcake is the best Unnie!" 

"I'm glad you like it too."

Surprisingly the two share the same tastebuds. Based on Do Hyun's observations, Minsi and Jin-Ah have a lot of similarities actually.

"It's just sad that I can't send you off tomorrow!" 

"It's ok Unnie, you helped me a lot during my stay  here, as of matter of fact I'm really embarrassed because I know how busy you are." 

"No need to mention that, I enjoyed your company!" 

"Hey girls, as much as I know how you enjoy chatting. It's already late, Jin-Ah you better go to sleep. You don't want to be left by the first bus tomorrow. Minsi, I'll walk you home." He smiles gently at the girl.

"Arasso!" She stands up and gives Jin-Ah a quick hug before they leave Do Hyun's apartment.

"Take care and see you again, Unnie!"

***

"Thank you for the wonderful dinner!"

"I'm glad you enjoyed the food, but we are more grateful, Jin-Ah and I really appreciate your help." He says while he intertwines their hands as they goes down. They took the stairs instead of the elevator, so they can spend more time together.