Father and Son

Let’s Meet Halfway

"Minsi, you are spacing out!" Mr. Hwang, walked to her desk and handed her some papers. "I need you to check on this contract with our legal team, then set a meeting with our new client.

"Ok, boss!" She replied and did what her manager instructed. It's been one week since he last heard from him, after their dinner she was expecting to see him either on the front of her gate or the pathway the following day but he wasn't around. Days went on and she still not aware of his whereabouts and she is starting to worry, she tried to call him once but his phone was unavailable. Thinking that he might be busy on something so she just let things passed.

"Where are you?" She whispered to herself.

"Are you ok?" Her teamlead asked.

"Yes, I'm just a loaded with work, but I'm fine!" She assured her. She should stop thinking of him or else she will not finish anything.

***
Do Hyun arrived in the hospital and worriedly look for his Omma and Myungsoo. 

"Omma, what happened, what did the doctor said, where is Myungsoo, is he ok?" Still panting, he bombarded questions to his mother .

"Can you please calm down? Myungsoo is resting now. We are still waiting for the laboratory result." His mother told him instructing him to sit on the bench. According to his mother, Myungsoo passed out while playing, but prior to that he was not eating properly and complains that his stomach hurts. 

Do Hyun sat on the edge of Myungsoo's bed, he watch his son who is fast asleep. His son is 5 years old now. He first met him when he was 3 months old when his mother left him on his parents house. He never thought that one night will change his life forever. That night he became a single father.  He clearly remember that day, when Myungsoo came into his life.

"Yeoboseoyo, Omma!" He answered his phone.

"Do Hyun-Ah, you need to come home!" His Omma said from the other line.

"But Omma, I still have exams this coming week. I can't go home now!" He told his mother.

"Come home now!" This time it's his father who speaks on the phone.  

He can sense the worry on his mother's voice, and recognized the urgency on his father's. After class, he went straight to the train station, having no idea about the biggest surprise of his life that is waiting for him.

He excitedly come inside their house and he was greeted by a loud wail of a baby.  He can't explain  the looks his parents displayed, they seems confused, shocked, he can't fathom the emotions on their facial expressions. And his younger siblings Jin-Ah and Jung Tae who try to hush and play with the baby who is crying.

"Omma, Appa!" He greeted.

"Why there is a baby in here?" he asked curiously, his parents  exchanged look prior his father speak.

"Jin-Ah, take them to the room. We need to speak with your brother." 

"What's happening, who is that baby?" He asked once again.

"A certain, Kim Sunmi-ssi came here and left the baby. What is her your relationship with her, Do Hyun-Ah?" His mother asked, his eyes widen as soon as he heard the name.

"Sunmi-sunbaenim? He gulped, "she is my senior!"He stuttered as he explain to his parents his connection to the said woman.

"Is that all? And how will you explain that child?" His father trying to control his rage.

"Do Hyun-Ah, she claimed that the child is yours and he is now 3 months old." His mother seconded. He felt that he was splashed by cold a water upon hearing what her mother said.  

"No, she could be wrong! That child might be someone else's. We are not even dating. It's just one night, we were drunk. I can't remember anything. I haven't seen her after that." He's not accepting the possibility that the child might be his.

"One night! How are you supposed to know if you are drunk? How can you be so irresponsible? His father said frustratedly.

"Yeobo, please relax, let's hear him out first!" His mother try to calm down his father. 

He told to his parents, all the things that he remember about that night, a year ago. He can tell how upset and disappointed his parents were, that was expected their hopes are high and they have so much faith in him.

"We can still verify with DNA test, I'll bring samples to hospital tomorrow." His mother suggested.

"I'll try to talk to Sunmi-sunbae, I would like to know her reasons." He said.

"What the difference it will make, the mother of the child, seems find her way to get rid of her child under her care?" His father said.

"Yeobo! Do Hyun-Ah, go and rest now. We will sort things out tomorrow." His mother told him while his father headed to their room not even looking at him.

He went to his room, but sleep won't visit him. He can't fully understand what had transpire. He knows that his family members are all shocked, and things are still not sinking in. He is now worrying about his family's future, his scholarship, his dream and about the baby. What if the child is truly his, how he will raise him? Is he ready to give up his dreams and take responsibilities? He is in distraught, all he can think is that he must wake-up from this bad dream.

The following day his mother went to the hospital to submit the samples for the DNA test, while he tried to contact his friends and acquaintances to search for Kim Sunmi's whereabouts, fortunately one of his teammates has her contact number.

Sunmi agreed to meet him in Seoul.

"Sunbaenim!" He greeted the older female.

"Do Hyun-Ah! It's been a while!" She greeted back.

"About the baby!" He started.

"Ah Myungsoo, that is his name! That's your son's name!" She said nonchalantly.

"You told my parents that I'm Myungsoo's father, but why you didn't inform me about him first? Why all of the sudden you'll show up and leave the baby to us?" He asked.

"Ok, let's make it quick. I did not tell you because I don't have plans of keeping him at first. You know what happened between us, shouldn't happened in the first place. I'm not sure but maybe I still have a conscience, that I didn't continue aborting him. I can't say that I like him but I realized that the baby did nothing wrong, so I thought why should I get rid of it. However, I can't be a good mother to him. I'm getting married but my fiancé and his family cannot accept him. That's why I have to take him to you, because you are his father."

He can't believe she said those things, how can a mother leave her own child just like that?

"I don't care what you think of me, but this is the real me. I'm selfish and I only think of myself. I'm not capable of taking care of anyone!" She continued.

"But how about me, do you think, I'm the only one who should take the responsibility of raising the child? I don't even know if that child is really mine." He pumped his fist on the table out of frustration.

She sneered "I'm sure that he is yours and don't ever think that you are the only one who is sacrificing something for him."

"You are unbelievable!" He said controlling his anger.

"Like I said, I don't mind what you or other people think about me. I want to live my life without any distractions and that child, he is!"

"How can you say that, to your own child?" He shook his head in disbelief.

"Not all woman are destined to be a good mother and I'm the example. I know you are disappointed but I just can't fulfill that role. The best thing that I can do for him is to ensure that someone who will take good care of him and I can't think of anyone else but you!" She said in a more calm tone.

"How about me, I also have dreams, don't you think it's unfair? You should have told me, beforehand!" He told her, tears are b on his eyes.

"If I told you that I'm pregnant, what would you do? I doubt you would suggest aborting the baby, you are too soft for that." She said looking directly in his eyes.

"Look, I'm sorry, I know because of my selfishness, I ruin your plan, your life. But please try to understand for sake of Myungsoo. You are the only person I can entrust the life of my son. I know you are a good person and our son needs you." This time her tears manage to escape from her eyes. Do Hyun realized that she still had that maternal instinct and maybe she is right, maybe she is the position that she has to make that seems cruel decision, maybe it's for the best after all.

That night, he went back to Gwangju, the result of the DNA test was released too, and Kim Sun Mi is right Myungsoo is his son. His father gave him a cold shoulder while his mother tried to understand. The universe seems not favor him and he has no choice but to accept the situation, he needs to be strong not only of himself but most importantly for his family and his son. Day by day he tries to learn how to accept and love his son, he has now bigger responsibilities and he has to make decisions that will benefit his son. He gave up his scholarship despite the opposition of his father.

"Are you really going to give up your schooling, I don't know what kind of mindset you have?" His father was really upset.

"Yeobo, let's just trust and support his decision!" His mother said calmly.

"We did trust him but look what he had done, he wasted all the opportunities on his belt. How can he raise that child? Do Hyun-Ah, do you think that part-time job will be enough, it's not even sufficient to feed yourself." His father said furiously.

"Yeobo, please, let's give him a chance!" His mother tried to simmer down the tension.

"I'm sorry Appa, I know I disappoint you! But I made the decision, not just for myself. I will try my best to take care and provide for my son!" He said with conviction.

"Just do whatever you want, you don't know how to listen!" His father last words before he get out of the room.

"Try to understand your appa, Do Hyun-Ah, he is really frustrated with the situation, but I'm sure he will still support you." His mother hug him and this time he allowed himself to cry.

"I'm sorry Omma, I'm sorry for causing all these problems. I'm such a disgrace to this family!" He continue to sob.

"Don't say that, things will get better soon! Just do what you have to do. We will help you, Myungsoo is part of our family, we will love and take care of him." His mother assured him.

The following day he left home to serve in the military. He left Myungsoo to his parents care. His mother said was true his father, later on accepted the situation and his grandson.  His family had been supporting him and his son. Days passed, Myungsoo celebrated his first birthday by visiting him on the camp. His younger siblings help his parents in taking care of Myungsoo. That same year he also learned that Kim Sunmi and her fiancé got involved in traffic accident while on vacation abroad and were declared dead on the spot. That event made him the sole parent of Myungsoo. He feels sorry for his on for not meeting his mother. But somehow, he finally understood what Sunmi said, that she cannot fulfill her role as a mother not because she is a bad person but rather it's a premonition that her life will be short lived.  

"Hey, Myungsoo-Ah, how are you feeling now my baby?" He asked his son who is now playing in his bed. He was diagnosed of irritable bowel syndrome. 

"Appa, you are here!" His son greeted him cheerfully before jumping to his embrace.

"Yah, be careful!" He kissed his son.

"I don't like here Appa. I want to go home and play with you and Jungtae samchon." His son continues to snuggle on him.

"Soon, but you have to promise, that you'll take all your medicines." He soothe his son.

"I don't like, it's bitter!" Myungsoo retorted.

"No, Myungsoo-Yah, you need to obey Appa! So we can play together." He convince his son.

"You will not go anywhere, Appa?" His son asked.

"Yes, I'll stay until you're well. Appa loves you!" He hug his son tightly.

"Myungsoo loves Appa. He is the best in the whole world!" His son kiss him on the cheeks. 

After 4 days, his son was discharged in the hospital. He fulfilled his promise to Myungsoo, he stayed home for few more days. He took care of him until his son regain his energy back. Good thing is that Soo Chan knows about his situation and allow him to take off from work.  Though he was busy spending time with Myungsoo, he still can't stop thinking about Minsi. He feels guilty for not answering her call, but also he can't think of how he will explain his state. For the past few days they spent together, he can say that his admiration is not one sided and he don't know how he will tell her about his son, he knows that his status will possibly ruin a relationship that haven't even started.

He was sitting on bench on their garden when his father approach him. 

"She is the same girl, that you like, Am'I right?" He was startled upon hearing his father voice. He was looking at Minsi's picture he took using his phone during their last dinner together. 

He nodded and smile shyly.

"Are you two together now or have you ask her out?" His father asked.

He shooked his head. "Appa, you know I can't, she is someone I cannot have. She deserve someone who she can be proud of and we all know that I'm not like that." 

"Do Hyun-Ah is it because of Myungsoo, the reason why you are holding back? You had sacrifice a lot for your son but I hope you will not stop doing the things that will make you happy." His father sigh. He don't know how he will comfort his son. At his age he is supposed to be enjoying his life, going out and dating or probably thinking about marriage.

"My situation is different, who's parents are on the right mind who will allow their daughter to date me, a college dropout and a single father. But I'm ok Appa, at least I have Myungsoo!" He smile bitterly.

"If one day, Jin-Ah will tell me that he is dating a single father. I will accept that because I respect my daughter's decision and who I'am to judge and look down on someone. Do Hyun-ah, I hope you will stop seeing yourself as a failure, having a child is not a flaw. Raising a child and taking responsibilities at a young age is admirable. You should capitalized on the lessons life is bestowing you. Son, your past mistakes should not dictate your future. The person that you became and what you will become is more important than the person you was. And please remember that you deserve to be happy!" His father lightly pat his shoulder before leaving him alone again in the garden under the moonlight.

***

"Do Hyun-ssi, you're back!"