Meeting the Sister

Let’s Meet Halfway

"Ouch, I think my left shoulder is a little numb now!" Do Hyun lightly stretches his arms.

"Yah, are you blaming me?" She asks with slightly raised eyebrows. 

"Aniyo, I really had a long day in the shop." A soft smile spreads on his face

"Why you didn't wake me up?" She's sporting a cute pout, a little embarrassed for falling asleep in the middle of the movie and for treating Do Hyun's shoulders as her pillow.

"You look really tired, that's why I let you sleep for few minutes, no worries, I'm the only one who heard your snore!" He kids.

Her eyes widen and gently slaps his arms "Yah, I don't snore!"

He laughs at her retort "Yeah, I'm just kidding!"

She's so pretty and he thinks if a situation permits him, he will watch her sleep all night. He doesn't  care if his arms or shoulders get numb. He can endure those things as long as she is besides him.

"Thank you for making me feel safe all the time!" She says showing him, the eye smile that's enough to makes him go crazy. He gently smoothes her hair and gives her an assuring smile. 

"Let's go! It's already time for your beauty rest!" He joked as he assists her in putting her helmet.

The ride way home was smooth and safe but his heart won't stop from beating frenziedly with her arms wraps around him.

***
"Goodnight!" Do Hyun eyes widen when she suddenly closes the gap between them and leans her body towards his for a hug, with open arms he hugs her back and gently rubs her back. It feels good to have her in his arms. They stayed in that position, relatively long enough for his comfort but he is not complaining, he is dying to hold her since the day he meet her. Everything seems surreal but it came to an end when they heard a shrill voice calling him.

"Oppa!" 
 
They look around to see where the voice came from. Both of them were startled to see a teenage girl giddily running towards them.

***

They are now sitting across each other in his apartment.

"Hello Unnie! I'm Jin-Ah, I'm his sister." The younger girl excitedly introduces herself to Minsi.

"Jin-Ah, why you didn't tell me that coming today?" Do Hyun asks. "I should have fetch you in the bus station. It's kind of different here compared to Gwangju."

"Oppa, shouldn't you be proud of me instead, I was able to go here all by myself." Jin-Ah retorts.

"I really thought that you'll be coming tomorrow!

"Yeah, but there's a sudden change in the schedule of our conference." 

"Where they will hold the conference?" He asks.

"In Seoul National University and I need to be there tomorrow at 8am. Can you drop me there Oppa?" Jin-Ah asks, clinging  her arm to her brother.

"I have work tomorrow, but I'll tell Hyung, that I'll report to work late." 

"I'm sorry to -in, but I'm not busy tomorrow, I can accompany Jin-Ah!" Minsi volunteers 

"Really Unnie!" Jin-Ah asks excitedly.

"But, you told me that you'll meet Soo Ryeon Noona tomorrow." Do Hyun exclaims.

"Yeah, but I can meet her after I drop Jin-Ah, besides the shop usually open late." She grins. She wants to assure the siblings that she's willing to help.

"Yah, thank you Unnie!" Jin-Ah stood up from her seat and hugs Minsi.

***
"Minsi-ah, Is it really ok with you?" He asks, while he walks Minsi home.

"What?"

"I mean, going with my sister in SNU, you should know my sister is a combination of a chatterbox and energizer bunny. She drains the energy of people around her!" Do Hyun explains.

"Hahaha, that's funny. I guess we will get along well if that's the case." She lightly nudges the boy. "Don't worry she's safe with me, besides I should return the favor, you are always there when I'm in need, it's my turn now to help." She winks. 

"But I did everything willingly for you, I'm happy spending time with you." 

"I know how kind-hearted you are! That's why I'm lucky to meet you!" She told him. "I think you should go now, Jin-Ah is alone in you apartment!" She adds.

"Goodnight Minsi-Ah!"

***

"Oppa, are you dating her? Don't deny it, I saw you two hugging. By the way I like her, she's  pretty and seems nice!" Jin-Ah excitedly told him as soon as he enters the house.

"You should sleep now, you don't want to be late tomorrow!"

"Can you tell more about her? I'm really happy for you Oppa, but does she knows about your son?" Do Hyun was stunned by her question it reminds him that he haven't told her about his dilemma.

"I haven't, but I will tell her soon!" He tells his sister trying to be nonchalant.

"She seems nice and as I look at it she makes you happy, but if she will not accept Myungsoo, it could change my mind. You know family is more important." What Jin-ah blurted hits him, she is right Myungsoo his son, his family and the most important person in his life but he cannot ignore the growing fondness he has for Minsi. He knows that sooner he has to face the reality, he can't keep a secret forever, no matter how hard you try.

"Just tell her already, if she really likes you, she'll accept and understand!" Jin-Ah says before she closes the door of his bedroom.

***

"Unnie, thank you for dropping me here!" Jin-Ah says before she exits the car.

"Yay, no worries, as I told you I'm not busy and I have nothing to do at home! Let's meet here again at 4pm." She assures the younger girl.

"Arasso, please drive safely!"

***

"Soo Ryeon Unnie, that wedding dress looks good on you!" Minsi says as soon as the older girl came out from the dressing room. "For sure Oppa will fall in love with you more once he sees you!"

"Really?" Soo Ryeon's face turns bright red at her comment. For Minsi, her Soo Ryeon Unnie is a perfect example of a blushing bride. 

"How are you doing these past few days? I'm sorry, I can't visit you often!" Soo Ryeon said while she stir her coffee.

"It's ok, I know you're busy preparing for the wedding!" She said.

"So, how about you and that Do Hyun guy?" Soo Ryeon asked.

"Unnie!" It's her now who is blushing. "We're ok, though he haven't say those words to me yet but we're both happy with what we have now, I guess." Her shy response.

"I can see that you are happy, just enjoy the feeling, no need to rush." 

***

"Thank you Minsi-Unnie for helping me today." Jin-Ah said.

"No need to mention that. Let's go, let's grab something to eat before we go home!" She says as she drives off the pathway.

Minsi decided to bring Jin-Ah to one of her favorite cafe, but along the way, they unexpectedly see her mother.

"Minsi-Ah, I'm really surprised to see you here!" Ms. Choi greets her but she didn't respond, instead she drags Jin-Ah away from the place.

"Who is she Unnie?" Jin-Ah asks confusedly. Minsi remains quiet as they continues to walk away from the elder.

Both she and Jin-Ah, we're catching their breaths. 

"I'm sorry Unnie, but I'm confused why are avoiding that lady, she seems happy to see you!" Jin-Ah curiously asks.

"I'm sorry too, for dragging you all the way here. But that woman, sadly is the one who gave birth to me." She replies while still panting.

"What, she is your mother?" Jin-Ah says completely surprised. Judging the old woman based on her style , Jin-Ah is sure that she is from a prominent family and if her hunch is right, her brother might experience hard time to get Minsi's family approval to date her, given his status, a single father and the class their family belongs too. 

"She just gave birth to me, but I don't want to be associated with her!" She says trying to control her annoyance.

"But why?" Jin-Ah asks again.

"Can you just stop asking things about her?" Her retorts with slightly raised voice.

"I'm sorry!" Jin-Ah look downs completely shocks with the way she reacted.

"Look Jin-Ah, I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't reacted that way. I'm quite surprised to see her too." Suddenly she feels quilty of her actions. 

"No, it's my fault for being too nosy! That's why Oppa always scolds everytime he thinks I go overboard." The younger girl explains.

"Still, I feel bad, well you are right she is my mother but only because she gave birth to me but she chose to left us, so her presence shouldn't bother me at all. I'm really sorry but can we drop this conversation. Also I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable." She says, and Jin-Ah didn't fail to noticed that she is tearing up. The younger girl realizes that Minsi must be having a difficult time. She appeared indifferent for a moment, because she was hurt. She can't believe  the uncanny parallel of the two most important people in her brother's life. Both of them were left by their mothers at a very young age, the one will never have a chance to meet his real mother while the other one wants to completely cut ties to her now estranged mother.

***

"Wow, these are pretty I bet they taste good too!" Jin-Ah says utterly amazed at the cakes and drinks in front of her.

"So, what are you waiting for, dig in!" Minsi tells her. 

"Jin-Ah, regarding the incident earlier, I'm really sorry if I startled you!" 

"It's ok Unnie, you don't need to explain anything!" Jin-Ah smiles softly at her.

"You and Do Hyun, have the same smile. He told me a lot of nice things about you!" 

"Yah, like what Unnie? He usually don't speak a lot and all he do is to reminds me of thing like: Jin-ah do this or don't do that, study harder, don't give Omma and Appa a hard time." Jin-Ah complains.

"Hehehe, he cares for you a lot and he wants the best for you. You are lucky to have a brother like him." She says while Jin-Ah is amazed to see how her eyes twinkling everytime she talks about her brother.

"Indeed, we are lucky to have him." Jin-Ah agrees .

"Let's stop talking about your brother. I would like to know more things about you, like your dreams and the things that you like. I don't have any sibling that's why I'm a bit elated everytime I meet new friends." 

"Friends? Do you considered me as your friend?" Jin-Ah says amusingly.

"Why, you don't want because I'm older than you?" She says, slightly disappointed.

"Of course not, I want to have a pretty friend like you Unnie!" Jin-Ah says excitedly that she choke on her drinks. "Ahem! Ahem!"

"Yah, be careful! Minsi gives her some tissue.

"I'm so happy Unnie!"

The two spent an hour in the cafe chatting and laughing. They also took pictures together. They are having fun, when her phone rang.

"It's your brother!" She excuses herself and answers the call.

"What did he say?" 

"Let's meet him in the shop!"

"We're going to see Soo Chan Oppa there, I miss him already! Jin-ah says cheerfully.

"Yes, but let buy some food first. I'm pretty sure the boys are starving!"

***

"Yah, Minsi-ssi it's been a while since you visited us!" Hye Gun greets her. "And who is this young miss?"

"Jin-Ah!" Soo Chan greets her.

"Soo Chan Oppa!" Jin-Ah excitedly hugs him.

"Yah, look at this baby girl!" Soo Chan is surprise to see her. The last time he visited Do Hyun's family in Gwangju was like 3 years ago.

"Is she's Do Hyun's sister?" Kwang Kyu asks while observing the interaction between his boss and Jin-Ah.

"Yeah!" Minsi says. She smiles as soon as she sees the apple of her eyes. 

"Minsi-Yah!" He displays his signature smile. 

The group shared the food Minsi's brought. 

"I can't believe that you'll start college soon, Jin-Ah! What do you plan to take? Soo Chan says.

"Yeah, something related to broadcasting and communication, that's my plan Oppa!" Jin-Ah replies.

"So how's the conference?" Do Hyun asks.

"It went well, it will resume on Monday, don't worry Oppa. I know how to go there already Minsi Unnie taught me how."  She winks at the older girl.

"Well, the two seems get along well." Soo Chan says

"Of course!" The two said in unison.

"Yeah, I hope all girls are like that!" Kyung Soo blurted.

"Woah, don't tell me, your girlfriend is still mad at you?" Kwang Kyu asked Kyung Soo.

"You have girlfriend Oppa?" Jin-Ah asks curiously.

"And so, why are you seems curious if he has boyfriend?" Do Hyun furrows his eyebrows.

Minsi lightly nudges Do Hyun.

"Why, I'm just about to ask the same question to other. I know I'm the only one who is not allowed to date here!" Jin-Ah frowns clearly annoyed at her brother.

"Yah, relax the two of you!" Soo Chan reprimanded the siblings. While the group can't stop laughing at their bickering.

"Do Hyun-Ah, you're overacting you know!" Minsi puffs.     

"I'm not over reacting, Jin-Ah can't date until she graduate, that's appa's rule not just mine." He answers back.

"But, she isn't dating anyone yet, right Jin-ah?" Minsi scoffs. Jin-ah nods in agreement but she's still annoyed at her brother.

They continue eating while Jin-Ah keenly observe the lovebirds across her. She never seen her brother this happy not until this day. They way they look at each other, she can see deep adoration in their eyes. Minsi is good for her brother, in the short time they spent together, she can say that she is a genuine person and she truly cares for her brother. However, she worry that she still don't know about his brother's child.

***

"Oppa, when are you gonna tell Unnie about Myungsoo? Jin-Ah asks her brother.

"I'm just waiting for the perfect timing." 

"It happened that I saw her Omma today, I'm not sure if you know that they are not ok and speaking terms. I also made a little research earlier, Minsi Unnie's mother is one the heirs of Choi Corporation. You know what it means, even if she already cuts her connection to her family, we are aware of what rich people capable of doing if they don't approve the person their family member's is seeing. It's not that I'm watching too much drama but it's the reality. What I'm telling is you should be careful too, you having a child and it's not the only issue you have to face. I hope you'll tell her soon about Myungsoo, she has the right to know." Jin-Ah sighs as she say those things to her brother.

"You have all my support Oppa, I think Unnie is a good person and I'm rooting for both of you."