Getting to know you

Let’s Meet Halfway

Do Hyun flinches when he felt the light pressure of Minsi's hand on his face. She cleanse his wounds prior she put on some medicines on the corner of his lips and other wounded part of his face. There's also some visible bruises on his face; particularly on his left cheekbone and one near his right jawline.

"I'm sorry!" She gulps as to prevent herself from crying again. She can't help but to feels culpable of what happened to him. Meanwhile, Do Hyun feels at ease knowing that she is now safe.

"Don't cry, it's not your fault, and besides I'm not really hurt at all." A smile displays on his face to assure her that he's okay but that's completely untrue, he just don't want Minsi to feel bad about herself.

"How can you still smile after what happened?" She asked while she lets out a hiccup.  

He tucked her hair between her ears. "Thank you for treating me!" "And I miss you!" He added which make her smile.

They continue staring at each other as if the force of gravity works horizontally for them instead. They exchange assuring smiles and both sigh in content.

"Oppa, I mean Chul Min, we dated for a year. I broke up with me 2 years ago, he fooled me, I didn't know that he is married. When his pregnant wife confronted and humiliated me at work that's the only time I learned about his lies. It was a huge scandal and starting that day, people in my workplace were talking behind my back, they called , home wrecker, pathetic mistress and other degatory names. I heard and endured all of the hurtful comments. I blamed myself for everything that happened. No one believed me expect Mr. Hwang and Sun Min Unnie. There were employees who even filed petition to terminate my employment, they think my image will ruin the company's reputation." She explains while looking at him to see his reaction. She also don't know but she didn't feel any hesitation to tell him about her past, like she completely trusts him. She cut her ties to his ex boyfriend and she is not sure why he is insisting to claim her back. She had already moved on and decided that she will live her life the right way.

He looks back at her. "A person shouldn't be judged by his or her past. What's important is we learned from our mistakes. If you think that your past will change the way I see you, then you are wrong. I like you the first time I saw you, I'm not talking about the time when I helped you fixed your car. I like you for along time since college." He explains and smiles a bit seeing her stunned reaction.

"What do you mean, where, when?" She asks seemingly taken aback with what he said.

"Do you remember Sweet Youth Cafe!" He smiles before he looks down to hide his embarrassment.

She chuckles as she remember how frequent she went to that place. "Yah, is that true, so it means we already see each other before but I'm sorry I couldn't remember you!"

"It's ok, those times I chose not be seen nor noticed." His shy response. Minsi noticed that he tends to scratch the back of his neck whenever he is shy.

"You never approach me, not even once, don't you? But why?" She curiously asked.

"I know it's weird, but I hope you will not think that I'm a stalker, it's just that my teammates before told me that it's not easy to approach someone from your class. You know, I'm just an ordinary student." He sighs.

"Aist, why do you always look lowly at yourself? Want to know the reason why I often eat there?

He nods vigorously to show his interest. 

"It is not because the food there are good but they were relatively cheap compared to the cafes near our university. As a student I also have tight-budget, I was a university scholar not because I'm a straight A student, but thanks to my Appa, if he was not a professor SNU, probably it would not be easy for me  to study there. We're not rich if that's what you think." She added.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to assumed anything, it's just I'm really shy, I guess." He sports his boyish grin.

"Hmmm...do you think, that cafe still operates?" She wonders.

"We can go there if you want, when you are free of course." He suggests.

"Are you asking me out?" Hope is evident in her voice.

Yes!" He replied confidently.

"I guess you're not shy anymore, I'm free tomorrow after work." 

"So, it's a yes!" He says cheerfully.

The following day they meet again and went to the cafe as planned. 

"I'm glad it's still here!" She says as she look around the place, while Do Hyun amusingly watch her reactions and that made her self-conscious.

"Is there something on my face?" She asks while she cannot avert herself from blushing.

"Nothing, I'm just please to see you happy!"

He still can't believe that he actually got the courage to ask her out. His sister is right "only a man with courage gets a gorgeous woman" and therefore he decided that he will not miss his chance to be with her.

"Shall we order now?" He suggests.

***

"The food still taste the same, what do you think?" she asked.

"Hmmm..yeah!" He agreed. "Do you want to go somewhere else?" He added. He is hopeful, the night is still young and he still wants to spend more time with her.

"How about if we drink somewhere?" 

"I'd seen you drunk many times and I must say no for now!" He disagrees. Memories of her drunk states flashes in his mind and he can't help but smile.

"Yah, but you're here with me, so I should be ok!" Her retort.

"Hehehe...I know, but it's not really good for you. Besides we don't need to be drunk to have fun! We can talk about anything freely like this." 

"Arasso!" She answered in defeat.

"How about some strawberry shortcake?" He suggests and she displays a big smile on her face. She intertwines her hand with his as they walk down the streets of Seoul.

***

"Hey, what time is it young miss?" Minsi is surprise to be greeted by Soo Ryeon who was sitting on the couch; not bothered turning on the lights.

"Unnie, it is just passed 10, I just hangout with a friend and I lost track of time!" Her defensive retort.

"Do I know that friend of yours, as far as I know you only hangout with me or Sun Min!" Soo Ryeon asks intriguingly.

"Yah, is it bad to make friends outside our clique?" 

"Well, of course not. I just want to make sure that your new friend is someone trustworthy!" Soo Ryeon smiles at the her.

"Yes of course, why would I make friends who I don't trust! Aist, I'll go to bed now!" She says, she leaves the living room before the older could further interrogate.

***

For the first time in Do Hyun's life he finally knows how it feels to be happy being with someone. He became a father without even experience dating. He finally understand the feeling of wanting to protect someone. He wants her beside him all the time. He could watch her smile all day, he'll never get tired listening to her, to her little rants up to her girly squeals. He never imagine how exhilarating it feels everytime they hold hands. And everyday he continues to discover how amazing she is.

"Do Hyun, can you weld this for me?" Soo Chan inquires.

"Yes, boss!" He cheerfully does Soo Chan's instructions.

"I'd never seen him this happy. He's in good mood everyday! I must say he's over the moon!" Hye Gun whispers to Soo Chan.

"Yes and it's a good thing, so let him be!" Soo Chan tapped Hye Gun's shoulder before he leaves him musing.

***
Soo Ryeon also noticed the glow on Minsi's eyes and her smile, as per observation she's happy and at the look of it she seems like walking on the clouds. She is certain, there is someone who is making her feels that way.

"Why don't you bring him here and formally introduce him to me." She told Minsi who is smiling while scrolling her phone.

"What?" She asks.

"I said when are you going to introduce the guy that you are dating?" She chuckles as soon as she saw Minsi's stunned face.

"Unnie!" 

"Was it because I know him already, you're dating  that boy living on that building across?  Soo Ryeon continues with her interrogation.

"Yah, Unnie he has a name."

"Why are you stuttering? I know his name, you want me to spell that, it's Lee.." 

"Stop Unnie that! Ok,ok, yes we're are seeing each other but we're not official boyfriend and girlfriend yet, is that wrong?" She finally admits, it wasn't her to intention to keep things from Soo Ryeon. 

"Yah, there's nothing wrong with dating and going steady, what I didn't like is you didn't tell me sooner."

"I'm going to tell you, it's just you're to quick to discover." She displays a cute pout.

"Arasso, I'm sorry for being nosy, but I think you owe me a story." Soo Ryeon says dragging Minsi to her room.

The two lady talked all night. Minsi learned that Soo Ryeon saw her and Do Hyun walking with their hand intertwined on several occasions and that she can never deny. Nonetheless, she is happy to tell her about Do Hyun. She told her how he saved her from his ex boyfriend who is still threatening her. Of course that matter worries Soo Ryeon but she assured her Unnie that she has nothing to worry. She wasn't shy anymore to talk about her feelings to him. For her, unlike her past relationship,  Do Hyun doesn't only gives her butterflies, but the most important thing is that he makes her feels safe and secure. 

"I wish you are truly happy with him!"

"Thank you Unnie! I praying for that too!"

***

"Hey, how's your day?" Do Hyun greets her. He helps her put her helmet on. He fetch Minsi on her workplace as they have planned to watch a movie.

"It's a tough day, I was on client's meeting all day!" She sighs looking really exhausted.

"Do you want to rest instead? You looks sleepy and tired. I mean, we can watch the movie some other times!" He suggests out of concern.

"Ottoeke!" Minsi grabs her hand mirror in her bag  to see if she wasn't look presentable at the moment. 

Do Hyun laughs at her reaction. "You still looks pretty!"

"I'm fine,  Do Hyun-ah and besides we planned this together and I really wanted to see the movie, you know Ju Ji-hoon Oppa is my ultimate bias!"

"Ok, if you say so! I don't get it, why is he your favorite. He is not even that handsome!" He whispers softly. 

"You we're saying something?" She asks when she heard his mumbles.

"Nothing, let's go!" He denies.

"Ju Ji-hoon I really like his acting style and his eyes, kind of reminds me of your eyes. Even Soo Ryeon Unnie agreed when I told her."

"What, did Noona said?" He asks curiously. 

"Ah, nothing let's go, I don't want to miss even the opening the opening credits." She says while ignoring his query, she purposely did it, knowing what she said somehow ignites his interest. Ju Ji-hoon is handsome but for her the boy she's hanging out with is more interesting than any other men in the world.

They arrived in the cinema, just in time. Luckily, the queue at the ticket booth wasn't long. Minsi suggested that she'll buy the snacks and drinks while Do Hyun is lining up to buy tickets.

The movie started, Minsi seems really excited. She fidgets everytime there is a horrible scene but can't stop herself from swooning when Ji-hoon's face appears on the screen, not until they reached the second half of the movie. Do Hyun noticed that she stop fidgeting and talking. He also felt her head fell on his shoulder and he heard a silent whims coming from her. He just knew that the muse besides him is now in the dreamland. He smiles as he lightly adjusts her head so she can comfortably sleep on his shoulder. He holds her hand and hums as he if he is singing a lullaby. As much as he wanted to concentrate watching the remaining scenes of the movie. His senses seem to shut off any environmental factors inside the movie house. He found himself contented listening to her soft breathing, her sweet scent fills his nostrils and feels the warmth of her body as she leans comfortably on him. That moment nothing else matter but the girl besides him.