The Mixed Signal

Let’s Meet Halfway

"You're back." She cheerfully greeted him. "I met Soo Chan oppa, the other day and he told me that you went home." She flashed him her signature eye smile.

"Yes, something came up at home." He replied timidly.

"Hmmm...you must be tired. I should go now. See you around!" She told him, sensing the aloofness of the man in front of her.

***
"Minsi-yah, come on let's eat!" It's Soo Ryeon, she came back from Gwangju 2 days ago.

"Wow, I miss your cooking." She started to dig in the meal Soo Ryeon had prepare.

"Really? But what's with that face?" The older girl notice her pouty and said face.

"Work!" She exclaimed.

"I think you need to relax a bit, I'm afraid that you overwork yourself again!" Soo Ryeon expressed her concern.

"Unnie, don't worry about me. It's just that I'm loaded these past few days but the work is still manageable." She try to persuade her.

"Ok, just ensure that you'll get enough rest!" 

She nodded to assure her.

The truth is, it's not work that bothers her but rather it's the man she saw earlier in the front of their house. Her thoughts are filled with him, she was worried that he didn't hear anything from him the past few days and seeing him that night somehow eased her longing for his presence. But she don't understand his aloofness, she noticed the sadness in his eyes and he seems avoiding her gaze. She miss him but it appears that it is not the same for him. 

***
"It's not entirely my fault!" Kang Eunbi screams echoed the office. She even slammed the door that surprised everyone in the office including Minsi who just arrived from a client's meeting.

"Yah, Kang Eunbi!" Their manager shouted.

"What happened here when I was out?" Minsi asked her office mate.

"Eunbi-ssi, she's in trouble, she missed an important detail of the project she's handling and the client is now complaining." Her office mate responded.

Before she could say something, her manager called.

"Minsi-ssi, can you come here, please? I have something to discuss with you!"

"Yes, boss!" She walked hurriedly to his office.

"Good, I think that's a nice idea. Minsi-ssi, I'm confident that you can handle this project." Mr. Hwang said.

"Yes sir, I'll prepare the data and the presentation." She said excitedly.

"Ok, but we have to pull all nighter for this, this client is really meticulous." He reminded Minsi.

"If that's what we need to do, then let's do it!" She said with confidence.

***
Later that afternoon she received a call from Soo Ryeon that she will come home late. Her boyfriend just came back from a business trip and apparently they would like to spend time together. Just like few nights ago, she has to eat dinner alone again. She haven't dated anyone after she broke up with her ex-boyfriend. Being single usually doesn't bother her but she sometimes feels envious everytime she sees happy couples. She is already 26 and the only single lady in her clique, all her office mates are dating and Soo Ryeon, she feels that she will get married soon. She and her boyfriend Choi Jung Haeng are on steady relationship for 4 years now and the news of them tying the knot soon will no longer surprise her. Some of her friends tried to introduce some of their male friends to her but no one seems to make sense. She don't know, maybe she is the problem, because she is not trying to exert effort of getting to know any of them better but she know herself that she isn't ready that's why she built walls around her, so nobody can hurt her.

***

"Minsi-Ah, please let me explain!" 

"Just leave me alone, there is nothing to talk about!" She said fuming mad at the man in front of her.

"Look babe, I love you; it's you that I want to be with. I will divorce her, just stay with me, please! The man said, pulling her in embrace.

She pushed him away "Are you crazy Chul Min Oppa? It will not change the fact that you fooled  me." He met Chul Min through Mr. Hwang, he was his Junior and  now working in one their supplier's company. They constantly see each other during meetings, the attraction was there and they end up falling in love.

"Babe, please!" Chul Min pleaded.

"No, what are you planning to do with me? Is it not enough that they called me mistress, home wrecker, ? Stop being unfair with me! You fooled me and now I'm taking all the blame!" She burst out.

"Minsi-Yah. I'm sorry, I will find a way to resolve this. I love you and I know you love me too!" Chul Min, not giving up in persuading her.

"I had enough, I'd love you but you weren't honest with me from the beginning. Let's just stop, please stop hurting me! I don't want to see you anymore! You can't fool me again." She walked away and never look back.

That incident resulted to a scandal. Company people started to gossip that it reach to the knowledge of the top management. She almost lost her job as the company sees her case as something immoral and will ruin company's reputation. If not for Mr. Hwang, she was already terminated. It is true that he was the one who introduced Chul Min to Minsi but he was also not aware that the younger man is already married. He did not only helped Minsi because he was somewhat guilty but he believed that she is one of the company's asset. She is really good on her job, she closed many deals eventhough she was just a newbie. It will be a great loss to the company if they'll let her go. She is good person, it is just like that she is a victim of the situation and the prejudices of the people around her. After he convinced the management to retain Minsi, another  rumor spread out, that the two are in a relationship. He thought is was stupid because Minsi is 8 years his Junior and he only treat her as his dongsaeng. Luckily, the rumor immediately stop when he announced his marriage to his long-time girlfriend who is also Minsi's friend.

"Aist, why everyone around me are having fun, while here I'am alone forever!" She laughed as she talk to herself. When she reached the street to their home, she saw a familiar figure, it was Do Hyun, who seems fixing something in his motorcycle. She braved herself and decided to invite him for dinner.

"Hello, Do Hyun-ah!" She greeted the boy who was startled to see her

"Minsi-ssi! He greeted her.

"I just got back from work, anyways how about catching up, dinner perhaps?" She shyly asked.

"I'm sorry, Soo Chan-hyung is asking me to go back to the shop. Maybe some other time." He politely declined her.

"Ah, I see..it's ok. You should go, he must be waiting for you now! Take care!" She faked a smile and turned her back before Do Hyun could say anything. She went straight to bed and decided to skip dinner and since she had a long day in the  office she immediately fall asleep. 

Days passed by and she was pre-occupied with work. True enough, she and her team really pulled an all nighters at the office to prepare for the presentation. She devoted her time researching and talking to possible suppliers for the propose project, which she thought was good because she it diverted her attention and stop thinking about the boy who seems avoiding her. His behavior still puzzles and frustrates her but she thought she will deal with it once they are done with the proposal. 

"Let's have dinner before we go home!" Her teamlead Sun Min suggested.

"Pass, need to go home. You know my roomie already miss me and I promised  to have a dinner with her!" Minsi said.

"Ok, how about the others?" Sun Min asked. 

"We're ok!" One her officemate replied.

"Minsi, it seems you are the only one who will be left here." Sun Min said.

"Sorry, I'll join you next time!" Minsi apologized.

"It's ok, go home safely!" Sun Min retorted.

"You go ahead and enjoy. I still need to answer some inquiries of our suppliers and also I will send the draft of the proposal to Mr. Hwang, I'll copy you!" She said as she continues to type something on her laptop.

"Ok, l'll check it tomorrow! You work so hard today. Take care!" Sun Min said before they bid goodbye. 

***
She parked Hero and excitedly hop out, she also misses Soo Ryeon, eventhough they are roommates, their work schedules didn't seem to match that's why there are days that they don't see each other. She was about to close the gate  but then she sense someone across the street is staring at her. She looked at the direction and realized that it was Do Hyun. She suddenly felt shy and conscious. She wants to greet him but then she remember how distant he was during their last few encounters, with that she chose to ignored him and pretended that she did not see him. She don't want the feeling, she is anxious that when she show him that she is interested, he will ignore her again. She likes him, she knows that for sure but him liking her back is still a big question. With a heavy heart she closed the gate and totally shunned him. Just like that, the person she relied on for few days when she was alone is now back to being stranger.

"Oh my God! Unnie, congratulations!" She hugged her excitedly as soon as she saw the ring on Soo Ryeon's finger. She also didn't notice that her eyes start to water.

"Hey, are you really happy for me, why are you crying?" Soo Ryeon asked.

"Of course, I'm happy for you, it's just that I will miss you and you will leave me alone in this house soon!" She said as tears continue fall from her eyes.

"It's not like that I will leave the country, I'm just moving house, we will still see each other. You can sleep over sometimes too." Soo Ryeon said as she smoothed the hair of the younger girl.

"Do you think Oppa will be comfortable with me sleeping in your house?" She asked innocently.

"Of course he will, you are like a sister to him too! You know we are your family!" She said which made Minsi cry harder.  It's true, when her father died, she is the only person who treated her like her own family. "Aigoo, you are such a baby." Soo Ryeon hugged and rubbed her back to comfort her. 

The two girls are lying comfortably in the bed.

"So when will you move in with Jung Haeng Oppa?" Minsi asked.

"I'm just starting to pack my things, probably by next month but we are not hurrying. I can relax a bit!" Soo Ryeon answered.

"Unnie, I'm really happy for you. Oppa is a great guy. Both of you are lucky to have each other." She told Soo Ryeon.

"Thank you and I agree with you. But you know I also pray that you'll find the right guy too. I know it's your choice for now. But I will be more at ease knowing someone will take care of you!" Soo Ryeon said, leading to the conversation that she has been avoiding for a long time.

"I know, but maybe I'm destined to be alone forever like it's my Karma for getting involved  to a married guy! She laughed bitterly.

"Don't say that, it's not your fault that the guy deceived you! Anyways you are still young, I'm pretty sure that your Prince Charming will find you soon! But are you sure you are not seeing someone right now?" Soo Ryeon told her. She haven't told her about this certain Lee Do Hyun, that's been running on her head all day long. Not until she is sure that the boy likes her too.

"Hahaha, I wish...Anyways, where will be your honeymoon, can I tagged along? She obviously teasing Soo Ryeon.

"Yah, Minsi-Ah, you better go to sleep."

"Why are avoiding that question and look at you. You are blushing unnie!"

"Stop, stop or pillow fight!"

The two girls continue bickering and giggling until they fall asleep. 

Minsi and Do Hyun, have been seeing each other on the street but no one tried to make a move to start a conversation. The situation really disgruntled her but what she can do. Day by day the distance between them grows wider.

"He's just not into you, stop thinking about him, you'll only get hurt!" She whispered to herself in dismay.

"Minsi-ssi, are you saying something?" Mr. Hwang interrupted her daydreaming.

"Neh, I'm sorry!" She blushed as she apologizes for spacing out.

"Like I said, congratulations for closing the deal. You guys did well. Let's have team dinner later." Mr. Hwang continue. And the whole team applauded, all their hard works really paid off.

"After dinner, the team decided to drink out. They went to this place and surprisingly she came across with Do Hyun and his co-workers. 

"Oh, Minsi-ssi, you are here!" It was Hye Gun who greeted her. 

"Anyeong, I see you're all here. I'm with my colleague!" She said bowing her head, apparently she is avoiding the gaze of the guy in a blue shirt.

"Chukahaeyo!" Her team shouted raising their bottles.

"Thank you everyone for making this project a success!" Mr. Hwang started.

"Of course, Minsi did a great job again!" Park Sun Min added, which made her blush. She is sure that the people from other table will hear how her bosses compliments her.

"Aniyo, it's team collaborative effort, congrats to all of us. Cheers!" She suggested a toast.

The team is having fun but she still self-conscious knowing that Do Hyun and his colleagues are there too. They already know how bad she handles alcohol that's why she takes thing easy. Their fun was interrupted when Mr. Hwang's phone rang, he quickly answered  his phone.

"What's up boss?" One of her colleague asked as soon as their boss hang up.

"It's my wife! I'll need to go first. Sun Min-ssi, you take care of the rest! Guys, go home safely after this!" He reminded his team.

"Sure boss! Drive safely! Sun Min nodded

"Minsi-ssi, can I have a word with you?" Mr. Hwang said as soon as he stood up! 

"Yes!" Minsi followed him.

"Yah, Minsi is sure Mr. Hwang's favorite. He always favor her. I guess that's the reason why Eunbi is jealous of her." Her co-worker said.

"But Minsi obviously is better than Eunbi." Another one said.

"Have you heard, the rumor, Mr. Hwang was the one who introduced Minsi ex-boyfriend and that Chul Min guy is actually married, maybe he is just guilty because Minsi almost get fired because of that scandal." 

"Can you lower down your voice, it's not a rumor! It really happened. I'm telling you this so you'll stop gossiping. I know what happened because I was there I saw how difficult it was for Minsi, that guy fooled Minsi and Mr. Hwang." Sun Min said.

"But don't you thing that maybe Mr. Hwang actually likes Minsi?" The other guy asked.

"Are you all crazy? Obviously Mr. Hwang only sees Minsi as his younger sister. I swear if anyone of you badmouth them, I'll take necessary action. We are not just colleagues we are family and we must protect each other. Mr. Hwang and Minsi don't deserve bad judgement like that!" Sun Min warned her team.

***

"What is it boss? Minsi asked Mr. Hwang as soon as they reached the parking lot.

"You know the guys from the other table, I noticed that they keep on staring at you, specifically the one in blue shirt." He was referring to Do Hyun she thought.

"Yeah, I know them, they help me repair Hero, remember when my car broke. He assisted me." She told her boss.

"Ok, I'm not here to judge, they seems to be nice people but I would like you to be more cautious specially with new people you meet." Mr. Hwang remind her.

"Thank you for your concern, I assure you that I can take care of myself. I'd learned my lesson already, I learned it the hard ways!" She smile bitterly.

"I'm glad, but you know you can count on me. Just let me know if you need my help." Mr. Hwang said. 

"Aist, what did I do to deserve a manager and friend like you? Boss you go now, Unnie and Baby Jeon is waiting for you!" She pushed her manager to his car. "Promise I'm ok!"

She went back to the table and settle down on her seat.

"Hey, Minsi-ssi, what did boss tell you?" Her officemate curiously asked.

"Too nosy, it's a secret!" She's obviously annoyed.

"Sunbae-nim, here! Mr. Hwang told me to give it to you! He said he informed you already that he'll on 3 days business trip and you should treat us to lunch the whole time he's not in the office." She said as she handed the card to her teamlead.

"Yah, free lunch for 3 days. I told you we have the best manager!" Sun Min told her team.

"Cheers!"

Minsi looked at the table beside theirs; she noticed that Do Hyun and the boys are seemingly quiet. She realized that there are lot of good things she should be grateful for. She have Soo Ryeon, Mr. Hwang, Sun Min and her team. Romance maybe the only thing that's lacking in her life now and she is somewhat hoping that she could share it with the boy in blue shirt by the next table, but with the way he is behaving  maybe he isn't the one her father was referring to.