Coping

Let’s Meet Halfway

Minsi squints her eyes as soon as the light peeking through her window reaches her face. Despite that she's suffering from headache and hangover, she have no choice but to get up from her bed. She's living alone in her apartment and Soo Ryeon is longer to there to take care of her, no one will nag and will reprimand her whenever she's feels like a total crap. She's has no one to rely on and that thought alone makes her feel bad about herself. She is level-headed though, she's aware that she must be strong as she is the only one who can help herself. She started her day with her coffee, her company is on holiday break as Christmas is just three day to go. Minsi, opens the curtain in her living room, the window pane is covered with droplets of dew and the pavements below have traces of snow, which is not very common in Seoul this early. 

Winter is her favorite season, she had a lot of good memories during her childhood. She smiles bitterly as she recalls the time she spent with her father and grandparents. If only she can turn back the time, definitely she'll choose to be in that era when she is worry-free and secure with the love and care she received from the most influential people in her life. She misses the choco peppermint drinks, those times they gather to feast on his grandma's cooking on Christmas Eve and how his grandpa entertained her by playing his guitar.

After the death of his grandfather when she was 13, they still continue the tradition not until her grandmother also left the world after she graduated from college. Her father was determined to keep the old ways but because his untimely death, those promises were left unfulfilled. 

At 23, she already experienced losing the most important people in her life. There are time that she starting to lose hope too, actually she can't tell what keeping her to continue and go on with her life. It's like she's in a middle of search, exploration of what life will offers her.

"Miss, that looks perfect on you!" The sale assistant on one of her favorite shop told her. It's a pink trench coat that she tried on.  She has nothing to do for the day that why she went on shopping. Her colleagues and her friends are either on vacation and spending time with their love ones. Sun Min had invited her to celebrate Christmas with them but she declined, she has no other plans except that she wants to be alone. 

"I'll take this!" She flashes her sweetest smile to the store assistant.

Shopping has therapeutic effect on her, although she knows it's temporary, it somehow makes her feel good. It keeps her busy and it diverts her attention. Instead of spending time pitying herself due to her misfortune and failed relationships. It also helps her to cease thinking of the person who broke her heart. She managed to look fine and conceal that she is really hurting deep inside.

"Excuse me Unnie, can you take pictures of me with my boyfriend?" A teenage girl approaches her while she was resting at a bench facing a giant Christmas tree inside the mall.

"Sure!"

Her simple retort makes the girl grin. The girl hands her camera before she walks hand in hand with her boyfriend towards the Christmas Tree. She instructs the young couple to pose beneath the big tree. She took random shots and shows it to them. When the couple seems satisfied with the snaps they profusely thank her for accommodating their request.

A bitter smile creeps on her face as she remembers her conversation with her boyfriend.

"You never take a picture of me nor requested to give you one. Sometimes, I wonder if you are really proud of me as your girlfriend." She pouted.

While Do Hyun light pinch her cheeks, "Why do you say that? Of course I'm proud of you!"

"I have your picture as my phone wallpaper, but I noticed you still have that old photo on your phone instead of mine."

He chuckles at her comment and pull her closer to face him. 

"Look, I may not have your picture as wallpaper but I remember and memories  all your features by heart, from your smooth skin and your chubby cheeks." He caressed her face using the back of his hand.

"Your doe eyes, which shines everytime you smiles."

"Your cute little nose!" Which he gives a light peck.

"You also have the sweetest lips that I want to kiss all the time." 

He hold her chin, while he lower down his head, before he captured her lips into a sweet kiss.

The time stood still as they make-out. They broke the kiss after quite sometimes. They are both heaving due to the intensity of their kiss.

"I love you so much Minsi-ah, and I want you to always remember that. You're a dream come true, you make me happy. And I think of you all the time!"

"I love you too Do Hyun-Ah and I'm sorry for doubting you!"

"It's ok love! So what do you want us to do? My grades on my quizzes are remarkable, thanks to you for helping me study!"

"I don't know, what about you?"

"I have various things on my mind and I hope you are up for it!"

"So what are those Mr. Lee?"

"Impatient are we, since I did a pretty well at school how about giving me a reward?"

Minsi's eyebrows furrowed out to curiosity. 

"Hmmm...what kind of reward, I have coupons from my favorite cafe. I can buy you a latte if you want." Minsi offered excitedly.

"Hahaha, I think you'll enjoy it more than I would! Here's the thing, how about we do that the thing that we both enjoyed."

"Hmmm! Something fun, like? You can suggest."

"Yeah, how about we kiss some more?" He winked clearly teasing her.

"Hahaha, I don't!"

What she has to say, was cut when he swiftly captured her lips into a kiss. Although surprised she slowly closed her eyes as they savor the sweetness of their kiss. He is right, it's fun but meaningful. She loves him and she enjoys every single moment she spends with him.

She hastily wipes the tears in her eyes, she can no longer deny her feelings. She misses him everyday. At times, she wants to go to him and put aside her pride but she's afraid that she'll get hurt more if she'll continue loving him. He is a good person and he has proven it many times but she's scared that his family and his son will not like her. She's an orphan, although she lives independently, and can financially support and  take care of herself, it will not change the fact that she came from a broken family and to add her reputation is not squeaky clean as she projects her to be. Do Hyun maybe a single father but he has supportive and loving family and Jin-Ah is a living proof for that. For her even if she's part of one of the old rich family, she completely cut her ties to them and even if she's still connected to that family she don't think that it will work to her advantage. The probably worst thing that would happen is that her family will object her relationship will him. That's how it works for her mother side of the family and she personally experienced how they looked down and despised her father because his root is not the same with them. 

***

"Enough play for the day!" Do Hyun tells to Myungsoo and Jungtae.

"Appa, I still want to play!"

"Aniyo, look at your nose. It looks so red, besides it's too cold now and I don't want you to get sick."

"He is right Myungsoo-ah, we can play again tomorrow after my Taekwondo class."

Do Hyun smiles at Jungtae, he is happy that he chose Taekwondo as his sport, just like him when he was younger Jungtae has a promising future in this field, he already won regional competitions and he is now aiming to be part of National team for junior division.

"See, Jungtae-Samchon is listening to me, if want to be strong like him you have to obey me, Arasso!"

"Ok!"

"Kaja, I'm excited to eat what Omma has prepared for dinner!" He tells the two kids.

"You're here finally, Kyungsoo oppa just called earlier." Jin-ah divulges as soon as they entered the house. 

She gently pinch the cheeks of her nephew which turns red due to cold. 

"Yah, when did you start talking to him? I didn't know that you have each other's contact." Do Hyun asks suspiciously.

"Does it bother you Oppa? He's been calling you but you're busy." She answers back.

"What did he say?"

"They just want to check on you! Just call them yourself, so you won't be annoyed everytime we talk to each other."

"I guess Noona, has a crush on Kyungsoo Hyung." Jungtae blurts all of the sudden.

"Yah, what are you talking about?" Jin-ah replies apparently shock at her younger brother's comment.

"Jungtae, what were you saying?" Do Hyun follows up.

"Hyung, I noticed she's always smiling when she talks about Kyungsoo Hyung."

"That's not true, I'm just happy sharing the story of what happened during my stay in Seoul. They are like older brothers to me."

"Hmmmm..."

"Don't make up stories, or else just so you know. I'm aware that you're the one who is dating. I saw you with Minseo, you even gave her flowers!"

Jin-ah revelation stunned even their parents.

"Appa what is dating?" Myungsoo curiously asks.

"Baby it means going out with your favorite person!" Do Hyun tries to explain to his innocent son.

"Can I date someone too Appa?"

Myungsoo's statement makes the elders laughing.

"Hahaha!"

"Of course, but wait until you reach 20." His grandfather says.

"You heard that Jungtae, 20 so it's mean you are still not allow to date." Jin-ah says.

"Stop that already, come on dinner is ready!"

Their mother invites them to sit on the dinner table. How long it has been that they gather together? There is something about his mother home-cooked meal that comforts him whenever he is upset or not feeling well. He just realizes how much he misses his family. The endless bickering of Jin-ah and Jungtae, Myungsoo's shrill laughters. Their mother's typical nagging whenever they are doing something that doesn't please her. His beer session with their father. The noises in this house is sometimes annoying but music to his ears. 

"Do Hyun-ah, are you not hungry, why are you not eating yet?" His mother worriedly asks.

"Of course not, I miss your cooking's and I'll finish them all." He assures her.

"Hyung, I wish you're always here so Omma will cook more delicious food and we can eat meat more often!" Jungtae says while his mouth is still full.

"Don't talk when your mouth is full." Myungsoo reminds his uncle.

"Nice one Myungsoo-ah! I can't believe that Minseo agreed to date you. If she'll only see like that, I'm pretty sure she'll be disgusted." Jin-ah says.

"At least my crush like me back, unlike you!" Jungtae answers back.

"Yah!"

"Hey, don't fight over meal!" Myungsoo tries to stop his Imo and Samchon fighting.

"You two listen to Myungsoo!"

Do Hyun tells to his younger siblings, while he can't help but feel proud of his son. Despite of his young age he is already exhibits maturity.

"Yah, let's just have a peaceful dinner ok!" Their father says.

And they did what their father told them. Although Jungtae at Jin-ah continues their subtle bickering and in other's perspective that seems pretty normal for siblings. The Lee Siblings s were pretty big compare to other household. Do Hyun is seven years older than Jin-Ah, while Jin-ah and Jungtae's is six years.

"Thank you for the dinner omma!" 

Do Hyun back hugs his mother who is now cleaning the dishes. 

"OMO, OMO, my sweetest firstborn! Just go and spend more time with your son. You know how much he misses you!"

"Arasso!"

Do Hyun goes to Jungtae's room only to find out that his son already fell asleep. He carries him to his room and tucked him carefully on the bed. He chuckles as he hears his soft blabber.

"I love you Appa!"

"I love you more Myungsoo-ah!"

He watches his son who is fast asleep. He can't believe how fast he grows and he is somewhat guilty that he can't be with him personally to watch him grow. As much as he wants to bring him in Seoul, he worries that he can't take care of him well. He is busy with his works and studies, he can't be at peace knowing that his son will be left alone in his apartment most of the time unlike here in his parents house, he is sure that he is well taken care of.

He drops a kiss to Myungsoo's forehead, before he answers the phone that has been ringing for a while.

***

"Hero, why do you have to stop working just now?" 

Minsi feels distress once again. Hero's engine stop in the middle of the street just few blocks away from her apartment. She get out of the car and tries to call towing company for rescue.

"Hey, need help!"

Minsi looks stunned, hearing that familiar voice. She smile though, help arrives just in time.