To Reconcile with the Past

Let’s Meet Halfway

"Soo Chan oppa!"

"What happened here?" The older guy inquires.

Minsi being comfortable with Soo Chan, accept his help in dealing with her car. He is like a brother to Do Hyun, but she knows that he isn't a type that would tolerate wrongdoings of his friends or anyone. Pretty much they also established a good connection, she actually became friends with Do Hyun's colleagues since they are also very supportive of their relationship. Though she haven't  visit the shop after her disagreement with her boyfriend, it doesn't mean that she also wants to cut her ties with them. They have nothing to do with her and Do Hyun's issue.

"I'll take you home!" He offers.

"Don't worry about hero, he'll be ok!" Soo Chan assures her as soon as the towing company arrive.

"Thank you for helping me Soo Chan Oppa! Would you like to come in and have coffee!"

"If you insist, then it's fine with me!"

Minsi offers him a brewed coffee, she remembers, Do Hyun told her about what Soo Chan preference when it comes to coffee and the guy can finish about 4 to 5 cups in a day.

"How are you preparing for the wedding Oppa?"

Soo Chan and her long time fiancée are set to married on spring and as early as now he's been busy with a lot of things for his upcoming engagement and wedding.

"I'm fine, though Jisoo is more stress than as I expect "

"You can tell Unnie, that she can reach out to me, if she needs help!"

"Yeah, I'll tell her!"

Minsi smiles, there's a moment of silence before Soochan speaks again.

"You know, I don't want to be nosy, but have you already speak to Do Hyun?"

Minsi was caught off guard of his sudden inquiry. Although she's kind of expecting that their conversation could lead to that topic. She smiles bitterly and shakes her head off.

"I truly understand how you feels, but I hope you would listen to his explanation. I'm not saying this because he is my friend and I don't what you to think that I tolerate his actions, I witnessed how many time he contemplated to talk to you about Myungsoo."

"I know Oppa, I just need time I guess! You know I trusted him, my life has been an open book to him, he's my confidant and I was expecting that he feels the same way about me, I still don't understand why he hide the truth about his son."

"Do Hyun went through a lot of difficult times, when I first met him, he looked so depressed. He only smiles when he talked about Myungsoo, his son is his source of strength. And Myungsoo, that boy is really lovable and charming."

"I know that is why, I'm suggesting that we keep apart for a time being, his son's needs him and I don't want to add to his burden and responsibilities. I feel like I'm stealing the time he could have spend with his son. Do Hyun has a lot of aspirations and he is determine to achieve those. I don't want to be the hindrance for those." 

"He loves you and you are important to him, I don't think he will allow you to slip away from his life again. Before Myungsoo, he never wanted anything in his life but to be with you!"

"I don't know what to believe and think anymore!"

"Don't force your to forgive him, but I'm telling you he deserves a second chance, the two of you deserve it and as I can see it you are each other's happiness."

***

Minsi lays in her bed, her conversation with Soochan makes her think of Do Hyun more. She misses him, she can feel his sincerity everytime he tells her that he loves her and he always do things that would makes her feel special . She knows for sure that her heart is yearning for him, for his warm embrace, for his kisses, for his kind words or just simply his presence but her mind is also telling her that she couldn't afford to get hurt anymore.

***
Do Hyun just finished talking to Kyungsoo, his colleagues are checking on how is he doing and coping. It's comforting to hear their unsolicited advices and their laughters, they always encourage him to do the things that will make him happy. It's like he found a second family in Seoul.

He went back to his room to check Myungsoo who is sleeping peacefully. His son inherited much of his looks. Like his younger brother, the three of them share the same features. He also realizes that his son is growing faster than he imagines. He is taller now from the last time he visited him and he starts to think that he is missing some of these milestones of his son. He wants to be there for him all the time but he has bigger responsibilities to fulfill, he has to prepare for Myungsoo's future more than anything else. Myungsoo stirs from his sleep.

"Appa, Appa!" 

Do Hyun chuckles, he thinks that his son is having dreams. He gently smoothes his hair and pulls and tucks the duvet. 

"Sleep tight my baby!"

He feels the dryness on his throat and a bit of hoarness in his voice. He guess that his body is adjusting again to Gwangju's climate, apparently it is much colder here than in Seoul, however he also heard from Hye Gun that it also snowing now in Seoul and it reminds him of Minsi. She loves winter and she can't help but worry that she is all by herself 

He goes to the kitchen to brew some tea to calm himself and  at the same to relieve the dryness of his throat. He was surprised to see his father, sitting on the dinner table while reading newspaper.

"You're still awake Appa!"

The older put down the newspaper on the table and look at him.

"How about you, you seemed have a long, tiring day?"

"Yeah, I'm about to brew some tea, would you like some?" He offers.

"Yes, please!"

The father and son shares comfortable silence as they wait for the tea to get ready.

Do Hyun gently pours the tea to the cups and serves both of them.  The aroma of the tea has relaxing effect and perfect for the cold weather. He is clearly enjoying the tea when his Appa breaks the silence.

"How are you doing Do Hyun-ah?" The elder asks.

"I'm happy spending time with Myungsoo, I mean it's the right time for us to catch up. He's growing too fast!"

"I'm glad that you seems fine but how about her, did you reach out to her already?"

Do Hyun sighs deeply, his father knows the answer immediately to his query. 

"I think she still needs more time, but I hope she's fine. I'm afraid that she's alone today and I wish I'm there for her!"

"I can feel that you really care for her, but can you really tell if  she feels the same? Your Omma and I wants you to be happy but you must think of yourself too. We want you to take things easy and think of Myungsoo, your son should be your top priority."

"Understood, I always keep that in mind. That's why I'm working really hard so I can give my son a bright future like what you keep on doing for us."

Do Hyun is lucky to have his parents to support him and every decisions he makes. He is grateful for the love they are bestowing to his son most specially and since he's there to spend time with his family he will make sure that every moments he spends with them count eventhough he is missing Minsi, he will endure being away from her until she is ready to forgive him. 

***
"I'm really ok, Unnie. Thank you for inviting me though!"

Minsi once again declined Soo Ryeon and Jung Haeng's invitation to celebrate Christmas with them. The couple always makes her feel welcome and loved but she a bit tired being a third wheel, she thought it's also their first Christmas as a married couple and she wants them to spend the holidays all by themselves. She's also aware that they are not convinced when she told that she's ok but she is firm with her decision that she wants time for herself, so she can reflect and think of what will be her plans for the coming days.

She calls for a cab after meeting one of his college friends. As she waits for her ride to arrive, a luxurious car stop in front of the pavement where she is standing. The car's window roll down and reveals a face that she haven't seen for a long time. That old man that she never wish to see again, his estranged Grandfather Choi.

The old man looked at her intently and she did the same. Her eyes are fixed on him and she tried her best not to flinch. He is the one responsible for ruining her family, he took away the happy memories of her early childhood and he made her mother left them. He is heartless and she doesn't want to be associated with him. 

The old man seems amaze at how his granddaughter is not intimated by his presence. It's true that he hired some private to investigators to tail her while she is growing up and he is somewhat proud of what she becomes. She's independent and strong and he can't deny that his son-in-law did a great job in raising his favorite grandchild.

His somewhat staring competition with his granddaughter lasted not more than a minute. He sends signal to his chauffeur to roll down the window and drive away.

Minsi on the other hand, grabs tightly on her coat. Her unexpected meeting with her grandfather makes her nervous and scare. She had enough of them ruining her life and unlike her mother she will make sure that no one from the Choi family will interfere her peaceful life, ever again.

***

"Appa, I don't what to go to the mansion!"

"Minsi-Yah, aren't you excited to see Harabeoji?" Her Omma asks her.

"I'm scared of him, the chairman, he doesn't smile like Harabeoji!" Minsi is referring to her grandfather from her father side of the family. 

"Minsi-Yah, it's ok, believe me Harabeoji wants to spends time with you!"

"Is that true Omma, Appa?"

Both parents nodded in agreement and the smiles on their lips somehow gave little Minsi hope that everything will be fine in the Mansion.

They arrived in the Mansion and the car lead them on the west wing where the guests usually gathers. Minsi was stunned at how big her grandfather's house. It has a huge garden and the center attraction of it is a huge water fountain, that is adorned with colorful lights at night.

As soon as they get of the car, a dozen of house servants welcomed them and two of them lead them to a huge dining hall. There she saw his uncle sporting a sly grin and Chairman Choi, who appears stoic and showing no emotion.

They sat on their respected seats and the food are starting to arrived, but none of the food were enticing to her. The elders started talking while eating but Minsi is not touching anything.

"Minsi-Yah, why are you not eating are you still full?" Her mother asks.

"I don't like any of it!" She said honestly. "I like egg rolls that halmoni prepares for me!"

"Oh, Hera, your daughter is really cheeky but where is her manners?  How come her father is a known professor and yet I hate to say this but she seems an educated."

"Oppa my daughter just turned 5 and she's too young to learn everything about etiquette." Her mother retorted.

"Well, if she wants to be an official heiress, he has to learn that or else she'll be another disgrace to this family."

"Oppa!"

"Omma, Appa, let's go home! I don't like it here!" Minsi started her tantrums.

"Baby, it's ok! Let's just finish the dinner!" Her father tried to console her.

"I don't like these foods , they taste bad!" Minsi continued her tantrums while her uncle Woojin laughed.

The noise they are making didn't appease the Chaiman and with that, the old man drops his utensil and stood up and muttered "You can all leave now and don't even bother to come back!"

***

Minsi goes out the following day to shake off the negative energy she felt after meeting her grandfather.

While in her favorite cafe, she sees a tandem of father and son who are chilling inside the cafe. The father acts sweet to his son as he assists him with his food. The child seems happy too as he constantly giggles everytime his father feed him. She suddenly remembers her father. The man's gestures are like her father's, he seems loving and caring. It also make her think of Do Hyun. When they started going out she is always curious how he would interact with children. It's true that she imagined marrying him and hoping to raise a family with him, that's also the reason she was shocked when she learned that he already have a child. She hopes that they could start a family together but he already advanced to that stage by having a son. She would like to be his first and his one and only,  because that is Him is to her. She hope that  they could explore and learn more things together but fate seems to have other plans for them.

For the past few days that she is trying to forget him, she is more convince they are fated for each other and with what she just witness, she realized that her childhood experiences were foreshadows of what's happening in her life now.  She always pray to meet someone who is like her father and God gave her Do Hyun. Now she understands and she will no longer deny it, what happened in his past no longer matters to her, because she loves him with all her heart. 

***

Do Hyun decided to close the flower shop earlier than the usual, he made a promise to Myungsoo that he will come home early and help him assemble his new toy.

While he is shutting down the computer the main door of the shop opens and that makes him speak without even looking to the alleged customer

"Good Evening! I'm sorry but we are already close for now."

The customer didn't answer.

"But you can!" Do Hyun did not finish what he has to say. He is flabbergasted as soon as he saw the face of the person in front of him. 

"Minsi-yah!