Growing Stronger

Two in a Million

Three months.

Key had decided to do a lot when he hit the third month. First off, this was it, he couldn’t go back on his decision; he was risking his own life for the twins now. He was going to have a new ultra-sound and he expected to know the twins' soon.

Key found himself smiling stupidly at his reflection everytime he checked himself in the mirror. He thought that he would get a little bit repulsed or weirded out when his belly started to grow, but truth was, he felt so strangely happy...!

He had been really careful with this skin lately too, he had watched many videos online and he saw how damaged the woman’s skin would get with pregnancy, especially with twins.  Oh no, he would never have that wrinkled skin! It was just gross!

He knew that he was a er for skin products already, but this time he had the hell of a good reason to buy them! He had spent hours choosing the right cream for him though; he couldn’t just put on some random cream! Some ingredients could be absorbed into the bloodstream and he needed to pick up the right cream, he didn’t want his babies to get damaged in any way because of his balms!

He didn’t understand how women could be so careless with their skin though…

 

His belly wasn’t super big, but there was a small bulge in there that he wasn’t used to. He would chuckle at it, feeling so silly, but he couldn’t help it. He was happy.

Everytime he got an ultrasound his cheeks would hurt from smiling so much and he told himself, if he didn’t stop doing that he would get expression wrinkles soon.

 

SHINee’s ex rapper had been pretty busy since he left to New York.

Influenced by the doctor’s words, Key searched for a place to stay, but not just anywhere. He had a high risk pregnancy so the big city was a no-no; he needed pure air, away from pollution, he needed a calm, healthy location to stay….and somewhere where people wouldn't get too curious about his state and risking his secret to the whole world.

 

He found a town called Woodstock, in Greene, a quiet, quiet, peaceful beautiful place to live. He would never know that New York had towns like those!

When the doctor told him that he needed to go to New York, he would automatically think of high buildings, ambulance sounds, smokes and messy streets. And this…was like water in the middle of the desert.

 

He wasn’t a nature lover, but this was necessary.

So no more shopping in the malls everytime he felt like it. And to live in such eco-friendly place that meant an hour and half by car till he could get to the hospital, his now second home.

 

However, Key was lucky enough to find out that an old woman was renting a room in Woodstock. Key had never rented a room in his whole life or thought of living with another person in their home but…he had to do it.

He was rich, sure, he could buy himself a house in there, but he didn’t have the time for that. The clock was ticking and he needed to leave the city as soon as possible.

 

He was pretty sure that he would go to Korea one day again, if he eventually escaped alive out of this, so he thought that buying a house wasn’t the right choice.

 

The place he found to stay was a gorgeous Victorian house that he had only seen in the internet. He had talked with the old woman and she accepted his money. The room was his.

 

In times like those, Key was really grateful that he was good in English; he was going to need it a lot now.

The landlady was called Sally Smith, and she was a lovely old woman, always dressed in a cute, frilly apron. Everyone in Woodstock was friendly, surprisingly enough, and this woman was someone he would never forget about.

 

Why?

He never told her, she guessed that he was pregnant in the VERY second day he stayed there.

She had been confused and Key ended up having to tell her part of his past and when he thought that he was going to need to pack his things again and get out of that house, Sally laughed and said ‘God is like a troublemaker kid, always messing with people’s minds.’

 

Key had been shocked for hours.

The woman was very religious but…she accepted it. She would always say something funny about God’s strange miracles and odd ways to do stuff, so she was obviously surprised by his pregnancy, but she never rejected him.

 

Key had cried that day, not believing his luck. He had been so unlucky those past months, so many things happened to him, and this person appeared in his life, brighting his path a little bit, giving him hope.

 

Key soon found out why she was such a good person.

Sally was a fighter. In her young years, Sally lost her husband in the war and her daughter in a car accident. Her family was gone, but she kept living her life with a smile and opened an institution to help children in need, whose parents were too poor to buy them clothes or food.

Sally Smith’s heart was made of gold. Even having such a tough life, the old woman helped others and kept that warm smile in her face, making everyone smile back to her. It was contagious and Key found himself smiling back too; she was giving him the support he needed so much right now. She was a great cook too and kept a small bakery down the street, which Key had fallen in love with.

 

This person remembered him of his own grandmother.

Maybe that was why he liked her right away.

 

In his free time, Key would help Sally in the kitchen, baking cakes and cookies with her. She had been teaching so much! Asian food didn’t look so yummy anymore compared to Sally’s cooking.

He had to admit, he felt like an amateur in the kitchen when she was around. So he decided to learn everything he could from her and bond with this amazing person when he was either bored or sad.

 

Being used to tight, rushed schedules, Key would get bored easily in that extra calm town where nothing seemed to happen, so he went to buy tints and canvas to paint, filling his mind with colors and giving his imagination a road to run free.

 

However, anything of this would heal the pain that he was feeling. He missed his career, his lifestyle, the constant loud music, he missed nagging Taemin, he missed yelling at Onew everytime he would attack the fridge, losing against Minho in videogames and…

 

…he missed Jonghyun.

 

He missed him so much.

His voice, his smile, his caring hugs, his kisses, his tender looking eyes…

 

Key was told that he was in risk of falling into a depression with all those extreme changes happening so fast in his life so he focused on his pregnancy, shutting down any thought of his mother or Jonghyun.

He had been forbidden to get himself stressed, so he fought the urge of searching for SHINee’s news in the internet and didn’t try to contact anybody else from Korea again, but needed to.

 

He needed to know that everyone was okay so he could be okay too.

But by doing that…what would happen?

 

What pained him the most was Jonghyun, he really needed to prove him that he was indeed pregnant, so he asked doctor Jung to get him the copies of his tests and some pictures of his latest ultrasound. Sooner or later, he was going to send that documentation to Jonghyun. If he didn’t believe him, then he would get him some proof. He would add a picture of himself too, to show his little growing belly. He needed to write something along with it too, explaining all this complicated mess.

 

It wasn’t going to be easy. He couldn’t just call him, his voice would betray him and he would probably start crying like a baby before he could tell him anything. His hormones were crazy right now; he was too edgy to talk with Jonghyun like that so…a letter was the best way.

 

He could send an e-mail but he knew how many times Jonghyun’s e-mail got hacked in the past so it was too risky.

 

Key got dressed and said goodbye to Sally, entering the taxi.

He had been waiting for this day… the ultrasound day.

 


 

A month and half went by since Kim Kibum had left the band. At first, Sekyung thought she had just hit jackpot, that it was too good to be true, but it wasn’t. Jonghyun stopped answering his phone, everyone was depressing over the rapper’s sudden disappearance and Jonghyun wasn’t an exception.

Even away, that guy could mess up her plans!

But his could be good, really good though. With that person out of her way, Jonghyun would finally understand that he didn’t like boys.

 

This was her chance, she thought, however, the male wasn’t very talkative since Key left. This would be temporary of course.

 

Key had been replaced with another person already. Soon enough he would be forgotten. Fame was like that, cold and harsh.

She just needed to wait for the right time, and Jonghyun would be hers.

 


 

In the other part of the city, four boys were sited in a bench of their choreography room. Why?

The new guy SM got them was just…a big troublemaker.

 

“He’s twenty minutes late.” Minho groaned, rubbing his temples in annoyance. “Again.”

 

Taemin sighed loudly and walked to the middle of the room, starting to dance by himself, his body moving naturally to the sound of the music. He wasn’t going to wait for someone who didn’t take the band seriously!

Truth to be told, Taemin didn’t like the new guy, this Park JungHee. He was always late, he didn’t follow the band around, he would just go away by himself, he never did anything in the apartment, he was reckless, he would even smoke in the living room…!

 

How could this person replace Key?! He was the total opposite of his friend!

Taemin had grown a silent hate towards the new guy…but he couldn’t do anything…SM was the one who made the rules and they had to follow them, liking them or not.

 

The fans were visible revolted. Some of them seemed to accept JungHee right away, but great part of them were unhappy, angry, confused and worried. They wanted Key back and so did he.

But the boy didn’t leave a single clue behind. Was he ok? Was he close by? Was he watching them? Where was he? Taemin’s mind was filled with those questions but no answer was given to him.

 

JungHee was ruining SHINee’s image by being caught smoking everywhere he went and Taemin couldn’t help but hate this person.

He was given a big chance on joining a band already famous like theirs and he was simply ruining everything they had fought for!

 

They tried to make a mini album for a start. It sounded weird, it didn’t sound like SHINee. Key’s voice wasn’t there.

Junghee’s voice was much deeper, rougher. He was a good singer, Taemin had to give him that but…it didn’t sound like SHINee.

 

He wasn’t a bad dancer either, but he would always lose concentration with other things and didn’t care much with trainings. In public, he would act all sweet and polite, in the apartment he would turn into another different person.

 

He looked okay the first day he met them on SM Studios. He seemed a good person. He was not; he just didn’t care for them! He was extremely independent; he would go out without warning anyone and return at late hours smelling weird.

This was driving Taemin crazy.

 

It started when they moved JungHee to their apartment…

 

Flashback

 

“So, where is my room?” Junghee asked, chewing on his bubblegum, staring at the four boys in front of him.

 

Onew looked nervously at the other members in a silent question that everyone got immediately; should this person move into Key’s room?

 

Minho sighed and told the newest member of the band to follow him.

Taemin followed them close behind, watching as Minho opened Key’s door. This was a cruel image. This didn’t look right at all, no one should sleep in there but his friend…

 

JungHee looked around and pouted his lips. “Hum…not bad. I’m not gonna sleep in those stupid pink sheets though.”

 

Taemin’s eyes widened. Stupid pink?! That was Key’s favorite shade of pink!

 

Minho’s expression didn’t change though. He knew how to keep cool. “If you want to take them out do it, just don’t throw them away.”

 

“Oh, I will. I hate pink…” The older boy groaned, attacking the sheets, pulling them out of the bed.

 

Taemin bit the inside of his cheek, frowning and stepped in front of the other male.

JungHee raised an eyebrow to the maknae and the blonde took the sheets from the other’s arms, hugging them in a protective way. “I’ll keep them…”

 

Junghee snorted and Taemin glared at the boy. Why couldn’t this person be nice?! What kind of education did he receive as a child?!

 

Flasback’s End

 

The maknae ended up moving to Key’s room two days later when he found out that the older boy smoked and offered his own room for Junghee to stay. He didn’t want him to ruin his friend’s room. He didn’t want Key to come back and find his room dirty with cigarette butts and ashes.

Taemin was taking care of the kitchen with extra care too. He would yell if someone got it dirty or left it messy, Key hated when his kitchen was dirty.

 

Because…Key was coming back right?

This was just temporary…it needed to be. Key was going to return to them in no time. He needed to…

 

Jonghyun watched the maknae dance with a determined expression on his face, pursing his lips angrily. He knew Taemin didn’t like Junghee, it was pretty obvious since the younger kept glaring at the new rapper every time he could. He didn’t blame the younger, he had his reasons, the new guy’s personality just didn’t match theirs and was quite immature. SHINee was supposed to be a family…this didn’t feel like family anymore.

 

Jinki had been stressed to the max, having to repeat the lie about Key’s departure over and over in the interviews. SM never told them the reason that broke Key’s contract, the leader had fought with everyone, made his best to get his hands on the documents, but it had been impossible. Jinki was simply told to tell the media that Key had left for medical reasons.

 

Taemin’s personality changed quite a bit too. The maknae stopped smiling so much, keeping his expression serious and worse, he wouldn’t stop glaring at everyone. He never laughed at Junghee’s jokes, he stopped acting cute like he used to, even when he was home.

The younger looked revolted, betrayed, angry…and this was worrying everyone. They didn’t want Taemin to lose his innocence completely. The boy had never acted like this before…

 

Minho tried to keep himself cool, logical and professional, and he could fool the media quite well, but he couldn’t fool his friends. Jonghyun could see in his eyes, the worry, the hurt, the anxiously. Jonghyun had to feel proud of him; the taller boy could be much more mature than himself.

 

What about him?

He was miserable.

 

He knew he had to keep a straight face for the photos, interviews, shows…but…this was too hard.

 

Key had taken everyone’s happiness with him. Especially his.

 

The day that SHINee announced Key’s resignation to the media…had been the worst day of his life.

 

There were flashes everywhere, cameras blinding them as they walked to the small stage.

Everything seemed to occur in slow motion in front of Jonghyun’s eyes.

 

Jinki had dark circles around his eyes, looking pale as he stood in front of the microphone, the three of them close behind, watching as the paparazzo’s aimed their cameras at them, reporters shouting questions loudly.

 

For the first time, Jinki looked scared to be on stage. He would look at the people in front of him in fright, his hands trembling as he grabbed the microphone.

 

After a few minutes, they were all over the television, newspapers and internet.

The bomb had fallen and exploded, leaving millions of fans heartbroken.

 

Key was no longer in SHINee.

 

As he heard Onew’s speech, tears started to accumulate on his eyes again.

He felt cold inside; it felt like someone had stolen the ground under his feet, leaving him to fall in an endless dark hole.

 

A week later, Jonghyun caught a plane and stepped outside of Key’s house in Daegu.

He needed to talk to his family, but no one was home.

He waited, he waited hours outside, he needed to talk to them personally. What if they had lied? What if Key was in there?

Hours later, he got to talk to Key’s mother, she looked scared, worried to tears. He wasn’t home. Now he was certain of it.

 

Taemin had helped him too.

They both went after Amber, Mir… hell! Key couldn’t have just disappeared like that! He needed to be somewhere!

But everyone had told Onew the truth, Key wasn’t with them.

 

So…where was he…?

 

 


 

“Ah! Kibum! Please enter!” Doctor Jung smiled when Key entered his new office, much more clean and sophisticated than his one back in Korea. Less macabre too.

 

Key closed the door after him and bowed politely. “I’m sorry, am I late?”

 

“Oh no, how was your ride?” The man grinned, turning in his chair to the boy’s direction, crossing his fingers in each other’s.

 

Key made a face and rolled his eyes, approaching the desk. “Boring. The taxi driver was listening to the weirdest Mexican music ever.”

 

The man laughed and stood up, massaging Key’s shoulder with one hand and guiding him back at the door and opening it. “Excited for today?”

 

“I couldn’t sleep all night!” Key nodded, letting out a thrilled grin.

 

“That curious huh?” Doctor Jung chuckled as they walked in the corridor. “Then let us go kill that curiosity, I’m dying to know myself. Shall we go?”

 

“Yes!” Key almost shouted and then waved at a grumpy looking man who was walking in their direction. “Oh! Hello doctor Perez!”

 

The man stopped walking and looked up, glaring. “Good day to you Mr. Kim. Don’t forget that I need you here next week...” The doctor groaned the words, adjusting the glasses on his crooked nose.

 

“Yes grandpha!” Key grinned and waved again, making the older man roll his eyes and flee to his office, slamming the door after him loudly.

 

Doctor Jung raised an eyebrow at Key and made an astonished expression. “I think you’re the only one who can talk with him like that without him beating the life out of you… how do you do that?”

 

“He’s nice!” Key smiled, shrugging.

 

“He’s a block of ice!” The man exclaimed, quite surprised with the boy’s attitude towards the most unpleasant doctor in that Hospital.

 

“He’s not mean; he’s just very serious towards his work.” Key chuckled, remembering how awkward he was when he got to know Minho for the first time. There were times that he thought that the younger boy didn’t talk at all or that was angry with the world. However, he ended up being a really cool, nice person. And there was the chef he worked with too at the Raising Idol Show. He wasn’t afraid of serious people by now, he was used to them.

 

Doctor Jung looked at Key in admiration and opened a white door, turning on the lights. “C’mon. You know what to do, pants to hipbones, shirt up.”

 

Key nodded and lied down on the stretcher, doing as he was told, staring at the white ceiling. “I’m so nervous…”

 

“I thought you were excited.” The man pointed out, sitting on a small chair in front of a computer, opening Key’s file.

 

“I am!” The blonde said, fighting the urge to kick his legs against the mattress. “But…I’m getting these shivers...I’m so nervous!”

 

Was it girls? Boys? Both?

Oh gooood! He wanted to scream at the doctor to hurry up with that machine!

Oh! He needed to think of names too! But they were going to be born in USA…should he give them American names?

Key closed his eyes, trying not to think too much.

 

“You’re going to shiver again.” A female voice came from his side, scaring Key who opened his eyes right away.

 

“Ah!” The ex-idol shouted, feeling something cold hit his belly. Key pouted and glared at Doctor’s Jung new nurse. “Hello to you too Samantha.”

 

The thirty-two old woman smirked at him and spread the gel gently on the rapper’s belly. “Now, any expectations?”

 

Key groaned. “I don’t know…! I took care of a baby boy once and it was really fun, but girls are so cute too..”

 

“I say they’re girls!” Samantha smirked in her unique way, squeezing her lips in what Key liked to call ‘a y way’. Samantha was a cool person though, very funny and cocky. The right person to be Doctor Jung’s nurse.

 

“Hum..then I say they’re boys.” Doctor Jung chuckled and grabbed the gadget that Key was already used to. “Bets are over, let’s see who wins.”

 

Key took a deep breath and smiled to the screen, Samantha by his side, petting his head with a smile.

Key’s heart started to pound strongly against his ribcage, adrenaline rushing through his body.

After a few minutes Doctor Jung turned his head to him and smiled. “Congratulations Kibum…”

 


 

Congratulations Kibum… the author of this story just made everyone curse loudly and shake their computer’s screens like maniacs because of the wonderful cliff hanger she left for the readers :D

I love you too guys!!!! <3

 

So…what do you think? Only I know the of the babies but I’m curious, what would you like Key to have?

It’s already decided though xD


Sally's house:                                                                    Sally:                                                      Samantha:

                                             

Junghee: