Hard Truth

Two in a Million

The day was bright, no clouds in the sky and the sun was shining brightly above the Kim’s family house. The grass looked greener, butterflies flied gently across the flowers, kissing its petals and birds were singing happily, flying in big loops.

The day looked absolutely gorgeous and it sent everyone a feeling of tranquility and peac-

 

“I SAID NO!”

 

A few birds that had been resting in the houses’ roof, close to the window flew away with the scare.

 

“But Key-”

 

“No.”

 

“You don’t underst-”

 

“No.”

 

“Keeeyyy..! I’m not ready!”

 

“Yes you are!”

 

“But-”

 

“No buts Kim Jonghyun. They have the right to know.” Key walked into the living room, the shorter boy following him close behind, pouting.

 

The diva was in a bad mood, scratch that, he was in a terrible mood. Five days had passed since his arrival to the house and Jonghyun had been making excuses to don’t meet with his parents. But that wasn’t right, they needed to know! Yes, it was going to be hard to explain, really hard, but they needed to tell them sooner or later.

 

Jonghyun kept pulling the edge of Key’s shirt, trying to stop him from reaching the phone that was on top of the coffee table. “Yeobooo! My dad has a weak heart! Do you want to kill him?”

 

Key turned around, angry feline eyes glaring directly into the poor singer’s soul. He pointed an accusing finger to the older boy. “Don’t yeobo me. And if he dies at least he dies knowing the truth.” He hissed.

 

“Eeeh?! How can you say that?! He’s my dad!” Jonghyun whined.

 

The other gave him a sarcastic smirk. “That’s right. He’s your dad, your children’s grandfather, and that’s why you’re going to call them and invite them over for dinner.” Key grabbed the phone and shoved it to the other’s chest, making him take it.

 

Jonghyun bit his lip, throwing to the rapper the best puppy eyes he could manage. He blinked slowly, making sure to stare at him with a cute look. Key loved his puppy eyes, he just couldn’t resis-

 

“I’m not going to fall for that.” Key glared, arms crossed tightly on his chest.

 

“Aigoo..” Jonghyun whispered to himself, feeling like pouting even more. He didn't want to tell his parents..! He knew that Key was right, he was always right but…argh! How the hell was he going to do it?!

 

He pressed the familiar numbers on the phone, feeling Key’s annoyed gaze on his back. He had forgotten how scary the diva could be when it came to serious subjects.

Years ago Taemin forgot that he had a test the next day and Key was the one who found it by reading one of his notebooks where the maknae had scratched the date on the edge of the page. The younger boy was found in the living room, playing playstation with Minho and Key totally freaked out, literally spanking the maknae’s with a broom until he reached his room.

Taemin had been scared to tears and Key locked him up for the whole day, forcing him study hard, only letting him out to eat and go to the bathroom.

That was the last time Taemin was careless about school.

 

Jonghyun sighed, pressing the phone to his ear. God only knows what Key would do to him if he didn't call his family…

 

 


 

 

Taemin gasped for air as he looked at his own body reflected in the mirror, Minho, Onew and the rat dancing behind him. Minho was the one giving that nickname to the new member and since that day he kept forgetting about the boy’s true name.

The maknae kept dancing, ignoring the world around him, his body in autopilot, the moves completely mastered inside his mind.

Sweat was running down his forehead and chin, his shirt now soaked, pressed against his skin. His body was starting to ache, reaching its limit, but he couldn’t stop. He had been resting for too long, he hadn’t danced much since he found out about Key’s pregnancy and he needed to practice more, much more.

 

“Taemin! Taemin!” Onew’s voice woke him up from his thoughts. “Please…please stop.”

 

The blonde looked over his shoulder. Onew was panting, hands on his knees; Minho was resting his back against the wall and JungHee was lied on the floor, groaning.

 

“I’m taking a break…” Minho panted, grabbing a towel and shoving it against his wet face, sitting on the bench.

 

Taemin shrugged, giving up as well. He did good…but not perfect. He should keep dancing there for a few more hours to correct his mistakes but now he was the one who had to cook for his starved friends and he just knew that he had no chance to stay.

 

“Tae, someone’s here for you.” Minho called again.

 

The maknae turned to him and followed the boy’s gaze, which ended by the door where two small feet stood.

Taemin’s eyes widened. “M-Minjee?”

 

The dark haired girl smiled, waving shortly at him and bowing politely to the other members, who waved back. She was dressed in a simple pearl white dress, her long hair loose on her shoulders and that was enough to leave the maknae speechless for a moment. He had only seen her in loose jeans or really old clothing, sometimes she seemed like a bum to tell the truth but…this was different. She actually looked like a girl.

 

“What are you doing here? How did you get in? Did something happen?” Taemin asked worriedly, walking to the girl.

 

She chuckled, shaking her head negatively. “Nothing’s wrong. I just…decided to stop by and say hello. I know someone who works here, you probably don’t know her, she used to be my neighbor.”

 

“Oh.” He simply said, nodding.

 

She nodded back, smiling shyly.

There was an awkward silence in the room, both of them looking at their shoes, not knowing what to do.

Taemin was slowly freaking out inside to tell the truth. It seemed so easy to talk to her on the phone but…in front of her…gosh! Every thought left his mind, he was…blank!

His palms were sweating and…omo! He was all sweaty! His hair was sticking to his face and he was probably smelling bad! This was not the right way to greet a girl! He was an idol even! He wasn’t supposed to-

 

“Taemiiiiiiiin.” A whisper pulled him out of his trance.

 

Minho, Onew and JungHee were behind Minjee, a few meters away, waving their arms to get his attention. The taller boy kept mouthing ‘Invite her to dinner!’, Onew was probably saying ‘Take her to the cinema!’ and JungHee…kept stinking his finger inside his other hand while mouthing ‘ her!’.

 

Minjee bit the inside of her cheek, blushing in embarrassment, her toes curling inside her sandals. “I shouldn’t have interrupted your dancing I’m sorry. You did good. You dance really well. Yeah. I-I should go now.” She bowed quickly.

 

The girl turned around, taking a few steps towards the door and Minho slapped his hands against his face murmuring what it sounded like ‘he’s hopeless!’ while Onew pointed at the girl violently, silent screams coming from his mouth while JungHee whispered ‘If you don’t get her, I will!’.

 

“W-wait!” Taemin cursed himself for gagging.

 

The dark haired girl turned around, blinking at him behind the oversized glasses.

Taemin froze for a few seconds and Minho was about to shout at him when.. “Can- can I ask you out?”

 

Minjee blushed, her eyes widening and Taemin covered his mouth with his hand in embarrassment. “O-out as a dinner I mean! Or-or-or McDonalds..! Are you hungry? If you’re not we can just go walk outside, of course, not outside outside because I can’t and I’m sweaty and I need a bath, that is If you really want to go out in the first place-”

 

“He’s rambling..” Minho hid his face on Onew’s shoulder. He couldn’t watch this, it was too humiliating.

 

Minjee kept blinking in silence, looking at the sweaty, red-faced blonde boy who kept talking like there was no tomorrow.

Cha Minjee wasn’t the kind of girl who listened to bands and followed them religiously. She spent her school years only studying, obsessed with good grades but she had friends who liked bands like SHINee’s and she heard many times how idols were always perfect, always confident and true playboys.

 

But…looking at Taemin she could only see a normal boy who was practically pissing in his pants with the great amount of nerves he was showing. He…didn't seem like anything she had heard about. Taemin was…different. “I do.”

 

“And of course, you must have better thi-… wait what?” The singer stopped talking, staring at the girl in surprise, his heart racing, almost hurting his chest.

 

Minjee let out a genuine smile, trying not to look at the boy directly in the eyes. “I will go out with you. I’m free today.”

 

“Oh.” Taemin whispered in shock. She..really agreed? …for real? Like…a date?! The maknae swallowed loudly. “Oh..ah… where do you w-”

 

“Oh for ’s sake, just go take a shower and leave!” JungHee shouted, waving his arms like a maniac, walking to his bag to pick up his cigarettes. “All this bashful teen romance is giving me nauseas!”

 

Onew smiled at Minjee, actually agreeing with the new member for the first time. “The lady can wait a bit, cant you?”

 

Minjee nodded. “Of course.”

 

“But that isn’t right…” Taemin gasped. Girls shouldn’t wait for boys right? That was disrespectful! At least it was what Key always told him…

 

“Just take a shower quickly and hurry Romeo.” Minho laughed at Taemin’s lost expression and pulled him away from the girl, pushing him to the balneary’s direction.

 

 


 

 

Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap. Crap.

 

That was the only word that Jonghyun couldn’t think of in that very moment.

He was peeking behind his living room’s curtains and his dad’s car was parked outside of the house, his family staring at the house in shock, talking between each other, slowly walking to the door.

 

“Kim Jonghyun, act like a man and stop hiding like a creeper.” Key said behind him, making the singer jump. “Do as we planned, explain them the basics and then I’ll come to help you out, I’m going upstairs now. Jae was needing a change of diapers…”

 

Jonghyun nodded, staring as the blonde male walked out.

This was it.

He had a lot of explanation to do that day and…he was going to faint. He wasn’t really ready for this. He would gladly dance the hula in front of millions of people if he could skip having to tell his family about all this.

No, no, no. he had to be positive! Maybe…maybe they would think that they were in the wrong house and end up leavin-

 

Ding Dong

 

.

 

Jonghyun walked to the door in baby steps and opened it, forcing a relaxed smile, his heart jumping in full force against his ribcage. “Welcome..”

 

Jonghyun’s family was the straight opposite of Key’s; they weren’t rich, they didn't have that modern way of thinking, his dad wasn’t as tall as Key’s dad and his mother…wasn’t tall at all.

While Key’s mother looked like she was the one who had the last word in the family, his mother was very reserved and would submit to his dad’s wishes and if he said that he wouldn’t agree with this…neither would his mother.

 

“Jonghyun.” His dad greeted him, smiling, before giving him a tight hug. He pulled back and grinned. “I’m so proud of you son.”

 

He barely pulled away when another two pairs of arms surrounded his neck, both his sister and his mother hugging him. “My son..! I missed you!”

 

Jonghyun let out a genuine smile. He had missed his family too… “Please come in. Let me show you the living room.”

 

 


 

 

Key heard people talking downstairs and smiled to himself, his hands moving automatically on his baby’s diaper. He was getting used to make these things since Jonghyun was too of a to do it by himself, he didn't mind it though.

The rapper chuckled lowly, smiling at the baby boy under him. “Your daddy is in trouble. I wouldn’t like to be in his shoes.” He tried not to laugh.

 

The baby gave him a quick smile, returning to his previous task of moving his tongue in different directions, amused by how it wetted his lips.

Key frowned, picking up a tissue and wiping the baby’s face which was covered in spit. “You really are your dad’s son. The tongue habit too? Seriously Jaesun..” He sighed, watching the baby ignore him only to do it again.

 

Mikum was sleeping in the other crib, her tummy full of milk. Key picked up the boy and tucked him to his own crib but he knew that he wasn’t going to sleep any time soon, the baby looked pretty interested in finding out more about his body, grabbing his foot and shoving it on his face.

Key couldn’t help but smile at him like the proud parent he was. He decided to play with him a bit even if he had to go downstairs to save Jonghyun from his ‘oh-so-evil-parents’.

 

Ah…Jonghyun.

Their relationship was a tad better since he came to the house. There were no more silent moments or awkward conversations, they were slowly returning to normal, to what they were before getting together…bestfriends.

He wasn’t stupid, he could see the way Jonghyun looked at him, he could feel his stares on his back and he heard how his tone of voice always changed when it was directed to him. Jonghyun made it very clear, he wanted him back.

The thought always left Key feeling jumpy and excited; he wanted him too but…the time wasn’t right. Not yet. He couldn’t really explain it, something inside him just wanted him to wait a bit and he didn't know why.

 

 


 

 

“Do you want something to drink?” Jonghyun stood in front of his family who were sited on the middle couch, staring at the living room in awe.

 

His mother had the biggest smile possible; she was a really simple and modest person and never thought on even stepping inside in a house like this; let aside her son having one. She had a proud smile on her face, her hands resting on her lap, afraid to touch something and break it.

 

Both his parents shook their heads negatively to their son’s question and the male turned to his sister. “Songdam?”

 

“I’m fine.” The older girl smiled at him, winking.

 

“Alright.” Jonghyun felt himself start to sweat. This wasn’t going to be easy… He sat on the couch next to them and couched. “Humm…so…”

 

“Your house is impressive. How come you never told us before?” His dad asked before he could say anything. “For how long you’ve been living here?”

 

“Just a few days. Not even a week.” The singer smiled. Okay, starting with something less serious first was a good step.

 

His dad nodded. “I see. Well, you said you had a big announcement to make, is this it?” he smiled, looking around to get a better look of the room. “This is really nice son.”

 

Jonghyun shook his head, feeling himself grow nervous. “Argh…no. It’s not about the house.”

 

“Oh?” The man blinked, his wife mimicking the action. “What is it son?”

 

. This was it, wasn’t it?

How the hell would he explain to them that they were grandparents for almost a week now? How the hell would he explain to them that the person who gave birth to his children was actually a male? Worse, how would he tell his dad that Kibum was the mother?!

 

Jonghyun took a deep breath, hoping to gain a bit courage. He needed to do this, Key was right, they had to know sooner or later. “Well…I’m going straight to the point. I just…Please be calm and let me explain everything first” He gulped. “It’s going to be quite a shock..”

 

“Son, you’re scaring us.” His mother said, frowning in worry.

 

“Our family got bigger.” There. He said it.

 

He watched how both of his parents looked at each other with confused glances and his sister simply shrugged.

 

“Well, that’s wonderful son! When are you going to meet her?” His dad spoke first, smiling.

 

Wait that?

 

“’Her’?” Jonghyun repeated. They didn't get it. Aw .

 

“Your girlfriend!” His dad laughed. “What’s her name?”

 

“Ah, no. There is no girlfriend.” Jonghyun sighed, rubbing his forehead. He was sensing a terrible headache…

 

His parents looked at each other again and his mother gave him a small smile. “We don’t understand son.”

 

“You’re turning white. Just spit it out.” Songdam frowned, getting worried for her brother. He sure was acting strange. Jonghyun was normally a relaxed, carefree person…and he looked like someone was about to cut his neck with a dagger.

 

“I don’t know where to start..” Jonghyun sighed loudly, burying his face on his hands.

 

Suddenly a loud cry came from upstairs and everyone froze, eyes wide, staring at each other in confusion.

Jonghyun cursed silently. Great time to start crying Mikum…

 

The older woman opened to say something, but her words got caught on for a moment before she got the strength to talk again. “Maybe you should start by telling us why there is a baby in your house.”

 

Jonghyun looked up, his sister giving him the weirdest look while his dad raised his eyebrows to the sound.

 

“About that…” He gulped. “IfoundoutthatIwasadad.”

 

“What?” Songdam made a face. “Talk like a person.”

 

“I found out…that I was a dad.” Jonghyun said slowly, covering his face again, afraid of his parent’s reaction. Songdam was a pretty cool girl, she had accepted Key from the very start but…was she ok with this?

 

“You’re a what..?” His dad asked in a firm voice, eyes wide in shock.

 

The singer nodded. There was no turn back now. “Just recently. Yeah. Just…yeah.”

 

“I’m a grandmother?!” The woman gasped, her hands flying to her chest. She let out small rushed breaths, the corners of her lips curving a shocked half-smile.

 

“The babies upstairs…they’re mine.” He let out a small smile, his sister still completely dumbfounded, staring at him as if he had two heads.

 

“What are you saying Kim Jonghyun?” His dad asked in a low voice, a hand covering his mouth. “You impregnated a girl? And she’s not your girlfriend?”

 

“Did he say babies?” Songdam sudden realized what his brother had said. “Two of them?!”

 

“Omo..! I need to see them!” His mother stood up in a jump, ready to leave the living room and climb the stairs.

 

“NO!” Jonghyun shouted, making everyone jump, his mother staring at him in shock. “Not yet…!”

 

Both confused and hurt, his mother returned to her previous place on the sofa, her daughter giving her an apprehensive look.

 

“Jonghyun, what you did was very…I-I really don’t know. I’m still shocked..” His dad confessed, not knowing how to react to the news. “How come you never told us before? Why only now?”

 

“I only found out a day before they were born.” The singer answered truthfully. Where was Key? He should be downstairs already…! He didn't want to do this alone..!

 

The older man shook his head, looking at the floor while his wife wiped a few happy tears that escaped her eyes. “Who is this woman? Why did she never tell you? Is she a fan?” The man asked, trying to know a bit more about the current situation.

 

A woman. Yeah right.

His dad was going to freak…

 

“Well…no.” Jonghyun bit his lip. “This is where things get harder to explain…”

 

“Mom…” Songdam poked her mother’s arm, her eyes wide in shock as she stared at something beside her.

 

“Not now honey.” The woman didn't even look at the girl, trying to listen to her son.

 

“Hard to explain? Does she want money?” The man frowned angrily. “There is all the kind of girls out there..!”

 

Jonghyun’s sister kept pulling her mother’s sleeve, her eyes never leaving a certain frame on top of a chest of drawers next to her. “Mooom…!”

 

“Songdam stay quiet for a moment..! Aish!” The woman shook her daughter’s hand away, ignoring her.

 

Jonghyun shook his head. “No, no one wants money. It’s that…the mom of my kids…we…it’s not really a mom.” He gagged a bit. Where the was Key to help him out?!

 

“Mom!” Songdam shouted, making everyone look at her.

 

“For god’s sake what?!” The woman asked angrily, glaring.

 

“Here.” The girl pointed to the frame she was looking at.

 

Jonghyun paled. , he forgot to hide that.

The picture that everyone was looking at was nothing else but of a very pregnant Key in a garden, the same picture that Taemin had showed him the night that he was told that he was going to be a dad.

 

Well…now they knew it.

 

“Jonghyun…what’s that?” His dad asked slowly, his eyes never blinking away from the picture.

 

His mother had her hands on , her eyes of the size of golf balls. Songdam kept staring at her brother, waiting for a explanation.

 

Jonghyun stared at the picture, Key’s big belly showing perfectly for the world to see. “Dad…that’s totally what it looks like.”

 

“Is that…Kibum?” The man took a better look at the picture with a horrified expression.

 

“Omo…” His mother simply said in an almost inaudible voice, her hands never leaving her probably opened mouth.

 

 “What kind of joke is this?!” The man shouted angrily, standing up.

 

“There’s no joke dad. I swear.” Jonghyun said, standing up as well. “Kibum discovered that he was born a hermaphrodite and-”

 

“There is no such thing as that! Men cannot have children!” The man looked at his son as If he had completely lost his mind. He shook his head, sending the singer a look of disgust. “I’m very disappointed on you. This is a terrible joke!”

 

“I’m not joking!” Jonghyun shouted, not knowing what to do anymore. His dad would never believe him!

 

“I know very well that there are computer programs capable of doing anything. I’m may be old but I’m not dumb Kim Jonghyun! And this was the stupidest prank you ever did!” The man yelled, pointing him an accusing finger, glaring at the younger male. His mother kept looking at him in disappointment, shaking her head in disapproval.

 

! He knew this was going to happen! “Dad! I was there! Key’s family was there! His mother is a nurse, she saw them come out to this world!” He tried to explain, adrenaline rushing inside his veins.

 

“Enough of this! We’re going home.” The man declared, walking towards the door, his wife walking close behind. “Let’s go Songdam!”

 

Jonghyun brought his hands to his head, panic growing inside of him. He didn't want his family to think that he was a liar..! He wasn’t! How could he prove them otherwise?! He knew that this wasn’t easy to believe in, but …they needed to trust him..

Now he understood how Key felt when he tried to explain this to him the first time..!

 

“Wait.” A voice came from the stairs, stopping the older man from reaching the door.

 

Jonghyun looked up. “Kibum.”

 

“You.” The singer’s dad groaned in disgust.

 

Key ignored the male’s glare. “Your son is telling the truth. He would never lie.” He said in a calm voice.

 

The man did a low sound with his throat and turned to his son again. “I thought you were fixed Jonghyun. And now you’re living with him?”

 

“How did you even got babies for this prank?” His mother asked in a small voice, horrified. “Who are the parents?”

 

“We are Mrs.Kim.” Key gave her a small smile. “They’re names are Kim Mikum and Kim Jae-sun. A boy and a girl.”

 

The woman just walked closer to her husband, confusion in her face. Key knew that the woman wouldn’t believe him until the man did too, he had visited their house when he was only Jonghyun’s friend and he knew well how that woman personality was. But…he hoped that her motherly instincts could make her believe in him…only just a bit…

 

“You aren’t expecting me to believe this madness!” The man laughed in a furious manner. “A male can’t just pop out a baby! Let alone two of them!”

 

Jonghyun sighed loudly, getting tired of the situation already. “Dad, please, we’re saying the truth. Kibum went to New York to have them! He has female organs inside him and he ended up pregnant because of a small tub-”

 

“Did he make you believe in all that?” His dad pointed at Key. “Did you seriously believe it?! Can’t you see that all of this is fake?! Are you that naïve, Jonghyun?!”

 

Key glared at the boiling man and raised his shirt, showing his stomach. “Is this fake?”

 

The family stayed quiet for a moment, looking at the red mark on Key’s lower stomach.

 

“A cesarean scar…” Jonghyun’s mother whispered in horror, her hand flying back at .

 

Key let the shirt cover his belly again and sighed. “I didn't know I was born an hermaphrodite. My mom hid it from me for years. Believe me; I had a much bigger shock when my doctor said I was pregnant. I wanted to abort, I felt a freak.” He confessed, earning a concerned look from Jonghyun. He gave him a small smile and looked at the people in front of him again. “But I didn't. I love my children.”

 

There was a long pause, silence filling the corridor before Jonghyun’s dad let out a small chuckle.

He looked at the two boys in front of him and shook his head once more. “I’m sorry, I can’t believe this.”

 

The older male turned around and opened the door, only to find a figure in front of him, hand raised in the air about to knock.

 

Key’s eyes widened. “Dad?”

 

“Mr.Kim?!” Jonghyun’s father froze in place, his eyes doubling their size.

 

“You know each other..?” Jonghyun asked in confusion, walking closer to Key’s side.

 

Key’s dad walked past Jonghyun’s, ignoring him completely and bowed politely to the females in the corridor before turning to his son with a smile, hugging him. “Good evening Kibum. I was in the city for work and passed by to see my grandchildren, I missed them. Can I?”

 

Key blinked, nodding. “S-sure. They’re upstairs.”

 

“Please excuse me.” The man bowed once more, walking past Jonghyun without even looking at him and climbing the stairs, humming a random song.

 

Ok..something was very wrong here, Key noticed. First, his dad didn't greet Jonghyun’s dad and the man knew him. Second…Jonghyun’s dad looked like he had seen a ghost.

 

“Dad? Are you ok?” Songdam asked worriedly as the man kept his mouth open in shock, looking at the floor, dazed.

 

Slowly, the man turned around and looked at Key, pointing at the stairs. “That was…that’s your dad?” He asked in a small, scared voice.

 

Key nodded, watching the man loose all his color, his face turning dangerously white.

 

“Honey? What wrong?” Jonghyun’s mom asked in concern, holding the man’s arm.

 

The man looked at his wife in horror before whispering. “That’s my boss..!”