A place to call home

Two in a Million

‘Appa won’t be long’ my , Key thought, sulking.

 

A week ago Jonghyun told him that he and Minho needed to go back to Korea for an urgent matter. Urgent? What else could be worse than having to carry an IV around, that horrid fat needle inside his arm, having to get up from that bed with that nasty pain in his tummy, what else could be worse than having a cesarean recovery when his body was male and not female?

 

It was painful, it made him cry from exhaustion and stress, Doctor Jung was right, the recovery had been really difficult.

The walks were the worst part of it all, having to walk when you have a hole in your stomach closed by stitches, having the feeling that your organs would fall off at any time was horrifying. It took him half an hour to get out of that bed without screaming in pain. He had to create a strategy to get up, he propped himself up on one elbow, then pushed off with the other arm.He also discovered that lowering the bed and creating a sharp angle where his head rested made it easier to slide out.

It felt as if he was pulling the incision if he stood up too straight. It felt like the stitches were going to rip apart and he wasn’t very pain friendly, which made him want to lie down immediately, refusing to take anymore walks. Samantha and his mother never listened to him though; they kept making him take long walks through the corridors of the maternity ward, getting weird stares from the female community.

 

Sally kept coming to visit him, bringing him delicious food that he missed so much..! However he was told that he couldn’t eat anything solid until day five, making him throw a fit that even Taemin had to run out of the room to protect himself.

 

Talking about Taemin…the younger boy had been acting strange recently.

When the singer thought that Key was sleeping he would open one eye to peek and caught Taemin chuckling many times to himself, holding his cell phone, blushing, sited on the small sofa by the bed.

Key wasn’t stupid, it was pretty obvious what was happening, Taemin was interested in someone. Just thinking about it made his poor motherly heart ache, he needed to talk to him soon, he didn't want the maknae to get his heart broken by some fake tramp that only liked him by his wallet and looks.

 

That week had been exhaustive but he had learned a lot too. Surrounded by females, Key learned how to change diapers, warm the milk correctly, clean the babies and take care of their skin. He had been afraid to do something wrong, he had been nervous as hell, his hands kept trembling every time he had to do something new, …he wondered if Jonghyun was able to do those things as well.

 

Ah, Jonghyun…that stupid dinosaur…!

 

At first, Key thought that Jonghyun needed to go because of the band, but he let Taemin stay with him so it was obviously not because of SHINee. He wasn’t angry with Jonghyun; he was disappointed and honestly sad.

He didn't understand… the singer arrived to his room with the biggest troubled face he had ever seen, sweating even, he told him that he had to go and he really couldn’t tell why; that he would need to trust him and that he would understand later. Jonghyun spent at least fifteen minutes looking at the babies in the cribs, Key could tell that he didn't want to leave but Minho came to drag him away, saying that the taxi was there to take them to the airport.

 

He wasn’t going to lie, he had been genuinely angry to the two boys. He wanted to know what was happening and hours later after they were gone…he already missed Jonghyun’s presence. When he was around him he felt somewhat…protected. And now the protection was gone, that warm feeling that he gave him went away.

Adding Jonghyun’s departure to his post-operatory stress made him sob all night. His hormones were still messed up and he was too fragile by that time, making his old fear come back, maybe Jonghyun didn't want the kids after all, maybe he didn't felt ready, maybe he was scared to be a father..!

However, that fear vanished with every text Jonghyun sent him asking how the babies were, if they were getting weight, if they cried too much, he even asked him to send him photos of them everyday. So Key was just being paranoid, he obviously wanted the kids.

 

He had asked his dad if he knew why Jonghyun was suddenly leaving but he said that he knew nothing about it and he seemed quite satisfied with that. With no answers to his questions Key could only focus on his recovery and wait for the week to be over so he could go back to Korea.

 

And that time came faster then he thought.

Sally cried for an hour straight, saying that she would miss him and that would keep calling him to know about him and the babies. He was going to miss this person, she had been like a second grandmother and he just couldn’t help it but let out a few tears as well. The old woman made sure to load him with sweets and small cakes for the trip and Key wondered if he was allowed to take all that on the plane.

 

The trip back to his country had been beyond torture. His dad made him travel in first class but it still uncomfortable for him to have to sit for so much time in those plane seats with his belly aching from his stitches. He thanked the lord that his mother was a nurse; he sure wouldn’t make that trip if he didn't have her by his side to help him out.

Fourteen hours in that plane made him go crazy;feeding the twins and changing diapers in a plane was pure hell, he wanted a bed, he wanted to rest next to his babies in a quiet, peaceful room.

His children probably sensed his stress because they cried for hours, making him freak out even more. He couldn’t stand the crying, it hurt him knowing that they were suffering.

 

Fourteen hours later…they were in Korea.

The sun was already setting when they stepped out of the airport and Key just wanted to hurry and lie down in a bed, it didn’t matter where, he just wanted to rest...

Already inside of the taxi, his dad told the driver to wait a bit and pulled out his phone, pressing a few numbers.

Key sighed angrily, putting on his seatbelt. “Dad, let’s go already, you can call the company later..! I’m exhausted..!”

 

“It’s not a work call.” His dad said from the front seat. He waited a few seconds before someone picked up from the other line. “The week is over Mr. Kim. I need an address.”

 

Key frowned in confusion. What he was talking about?

He saw his dad’s eyes widen for a second, letting out a small smile. “Very well, we’ll be there in a while. I hope you have everything ready for our arrival.”

 

“Where are we going?” Key asked as soon as his dad finished the call and whispered the directions to the driver.

His dad turned around and let out a small smile. “I don’t know. Let’s find out.”

 

Key and Taemin shared confused looks.

 

“Yeobo…what is this? Where are we going?” Key’s mom asked in a warning voice. “And don’t you dare to lie to me Kim Sang-Chul.”

 

Taemin and Key stared at the man and watched him pout, sighing. That’s right old man, spit it out.

The nurse gave him a glare and the business man bowed his head a little in shame. “I lied.” It came out as a small whisper.

 

“You what?” She asked, frowning.

 

“I lied. I know why Jonghyun left.” The man told them, making Key’s eyes widen.

 

“You lied to me? You said you didn't know!” Key half-whispered, half-shouted in order to don’t wake the tired babies resting in the baby carseats next to him.

 

“Kim Sang-Chul, what did you say to the poor boy?!” His mother snapped, throwing his husband a nasty glare that made Taemin froze in his seat, watching the scene quietly. 

 

The man shrugged. “I told him the truth, my grandchildren need a home to stay and he didn't want them to go to Daegu with us. He said that his children belonged by his side, that he was the father. He spoke like an adult so I made him act like one too.” Key’s dad nodded to himself, not regretful at all.

 

Oh god…

Not again, his dad just loved to step into his life, didn’t he?

He was almost afraid to ask but … “Dad, what did you do?”

 

The man looked at him with a serious gaze and readjusted his glasses with his fingertips. “I gave him a chance to prove me that he can be a real father.”

 

“Aish! Why do you always have to stick your nose where it doesn’t belong?” The nurse complained angrily. “You can’t just decide their destiny by yourself! They have their own life, don’t rush them, this is too sudden for them, too complicated. They’re just kids!”

 

Key’s dad turned around to their direction again, this time glaring. “No they’re not. They stopped being kids long ago! If they were grown enough to make babies they’re grown enough to provide them a home as well.” He shouted, making the driver give the back passengers a weird look through the mirror.

 

Key’s mouth dropped. Home..?

No…he wasn’t serious right..?

He couldn’t have possibly told Jonghyun to… “Are you saying that..”

 

The older man nodded. “I gave him a week to find a place that I can be sure that can be my grandchildren’s home.”

 

What..?! All this time…Jonghyun had been searching for a house…? In one week? How the hell would he get a house in one week?!

Key gasped. “Don’t I have a say in this?!”

 

This was his life they were talking about! How could he just do that without him knowing a thing?! Worse! How could Jonghyun just whimper like a scared dog to his dad’s every wish?! He should have talked to him first!

 

His dad sighed in irritation and turned around to face the rapper one more time. “Kibum, you were dating that boy weren’t you?”

 

Key blinked quickly, looking at his lap. “I-I was..!”

 

“So let me tell you this, I may have made many mistakes before but I’m pretty sure that family is something that I’ll always value. You will not raise those kids alone. ” The man said in a firm, determined voice, face dead serious. “If he was so proud to call himself a father and told me that he can support his own kids without my help, then he can start acting like a man and prove that he can indeed do that for his family.”

 

Key held his breath for a moment.

Jonghyun said that..? So he wasn’t being forced to do this…he wanted to do it because he wanted to live with his kids close by…?

 

“Yeobo..” The nurse whispered, looking at her husband with a hint of admiration in her eyes. At first she thought that the man didn't like Jonghyun, that he was even provoking him on purpose but now she knew…he was just helping him to face reality…to grow up.

Being a parent is something that requires maximum responsibility, it’s a life that you’re taking care of, and in this case, two lives.

She knew that Jonghyun wasn’t a bad person; she received him many times at her home when he came to visit Kibum when they were trainees. But…her husband was right. It was still not enough, he needed to act quickly and face the problems.

However, he could have given the boy much more time to search for a house; rushed decisions were never the best…

 

“I’ll be more than happy if he proves to be an adult that can keep with his duties. My grandchildren will not grow up within a broken family. They’ll be loved and they’ll have a caring, supportive family, grandparents, a mom and a dad.” The man suddenly stopped to look at Kibum who raised an eyebrow at him. It felt…awkward to call his son a ‘mom’. The man made a face. “Well…sort of.”

 

“Your dad is right hyung.” Taemin finally decided to speak, making Key turn his head in his direction. The maknae smiled to the lost expression on his friend’s face. “It’s the best for the babies to live with both parents…even because…Jonghyun hyung loves you. And I know you do too.” He let his lips smile wider.

 

Key looked down, trying to ignore the strong beats inside his chest. Living with Jonghyun…

This shouldn’t scare him, he had been living with that dinosaur for too long now, they shared a bed since they started dating too but…this was different. This wasn’t a dorm; this wasn’t something that they shared with other people. This…was a home.

Home…

The word made him shiver. What was a home?

His parents’ home felt like a cold office room, it gave him chills. The only place he could ever call home before was his grandmother’s house. That one felt like home, it felt alive.

Could he ever get that feeling in another house?

 

Key bit his lip after looking at his sleeping babies in the baby car seats. He knew his dad was right, he didn't need to be a genius to figure it out. His kids needed a proper home to be raised and he really didn't want to go back to his parents’ house.

So…moving in with Jonghyun…

Key felt his cheeks get warm to the thought. Goddamn! What was he?! A hormonal teenager?!

 

“I guess I can’t say anything else. You’re right..” The nurse sighed, smiling to her husband.  “They’re too young to grow family issues; they need to stick together, now more than ever.”

 

Taemin grabbed Key’s hand that had been resting on his lap and gave it a squeeze. “Give him a chance hyung.” He whispered, smiling.

 

“I…a-alright..” Key chocked out the word, making the singer grin happily, jumping to hug his neck.

 

Mr.Kim looked at the two boys from the car’s mirror and let out a small smile. “Then let’s see what that T-Rex bought for you, shall we?”

 

 


 

Sign papers, discuss documentation, drink coffee, search for furniture on the internet, go to the bathroom, drink coffee, pay for the furniture, help to carry the heavy objects, drink coffee, sign more papers.

Jonghyun’s week was spent like this.

He didn't even remember the last time he slept. He wondered how he kept himself awake until now; he needed to sleep soon, but not now. They were coming, they were on their way and he needed to have everything in place before their arrival.

 

Jonghyun found a house, yes. Months ago he had mentioned to Key that he wanted to live with him, by that time he wondered if Key thought he was kidding. He wasn’t. He had been serious about it and he almost asked him to move out officially but then…Sekyung made them fight and he ended up not doing it..

In that time Jonghyun had made his research online, looking at every house and apartment that was for sale. However, he never did nothing without Key and wanted him to pick it out with him. That never happened...

Who knew that karma would kick his and make him pick the house by himself months later? Destiny sure was a curious thing.

 

Due to his previous research he had gotten some contacts and he got to use them, calling many different people, telling them what kind of house he wanted and how much he could pay for it. He wasn’t stupid; he wasn’t going to buy some massive, diamond worth house just because he was famous. He needed to save money for the future, and now that he had two little babies…money was sacred. But he couldn’t buy some rooting shack as well; he needed the house to be in a private location, most likely out of the city, out of the paparazzo’s reach. How the hell would he explain to the world why he was found in some house, living with two babies and his missing bandmate?

It would be a scandal and right now…he just wanted a normal life, out of the curious stares from the media. He needed to protect his family from the outside world.

 

Jonghyun’s eyes widened. He said it… ’his family’. He was really getting used to it wasn’t he? Strange…at first he was dead nervous to know that he had to get the perfect house, hoping Key would like it, he wanted the boy to stay there a few more days, he never felt ready to see him that quick, so many worries, too many stress and now…he just couldn’t wait anymore.

He felt like jumping every time he thought that both Key and his children were somewhere in a car driving to his direction.

 

Jonghyun took a deep breath, walking to the house’s hallway and taking a good look around. This was his home. This was where he would live from now on… the feeling was alien to him…everything felt so weird, so sudden.

 

“Jonghyun! Get your in here! We can’t carry this by ourselves!” Minho’s voice came from the room next to him.

 

The muscular boy walked to his brand new living room and gasped when he saw Minho and Onew holding one of his new white sofas. “Careful! Don’t drop it!”

 

The singer ran to his friends and made his best to keep the sofa steady, putting it in its place. Minho let out a long breath, running his arm through his sweating forehead. “We’re…almost done…”

 

“Aigooo…my body is aching…” Onew groaned, letting his body fall onto the sofa. "I'm too old for this.."

 

Jonghyun gasped, kicking the leader’s feet. “YAH! Get out! You’ll get it dirty!”

 

The older boy whimpered, refusing to stand up.

Minho chuckled to the scene, stretching his tired arms above his head before kicking Onew’s foot as well. “C’mon hyung. We’re almost done.” He said, trying to encourage the boy.

 

“There’s a taxi outside! They’re here!” A female voice was heard from upstairs.

 

Jonghyun froze, Onew’s eyes widened and Minho’s mouth dropped.

 

 “ALREADY?!”

 

 


 

“Are we still in Seoul?” Taemin asked, looking confusingly through the taxi’s window. It looked like a forest outside…he never thought Seoul had so many trees out there.

 

“I really hope so.” Key’s dad said, staring at the landscape as well.

 

Five minutes later the car stopped in front of a large gate between high, stone walls. There was a small security camera on the top of the wall, Key noticed.

Wait…no way. This was it? This was the place?

Key looked around curiously, trying to see behind those walls, it was impossible though, they were too high to see anything at all.

 

“We’re here.” The taxi driver announced, parking the car in front of the gate. “Do you need help with the bags?”

 

Key’s dad shook his head. “There is no need, how much is it?”

 

Slowly, the occupants of the taxi stepped out of the car, Key’s father paying the driver and carrying his son’s bags, putting them on the floor, Taemin doing the same with his own luggage.

The middle aged nurse helped her son to put the twins in the stroller and before the man could reach the bell, the gates started to open automatically.

Key gasped in surprise. Jonghyun sure liked to impress…

 

“Are you nervous hyung?” Taemin asked by his side, grinning in excitement.

 

Key blushed, avoiding the younger’s eyes. “…A bit..”

 

Taemin chuckled. “Don’t wo-”

 

“KEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYY!”

 

Key froze to the voice.

As the gates opened, a girl came running to him, almost knocking him down with the force of the hug. Key’s eyes doubled their normal size. “Amber?!”

 

The short haired girl grinned, pressing a loud kiss on his cheek, her arms tight around his neck. “Omo! I missed you so much! Thanks god you’re alright!!! I just couldn’t believe it when they told me!” She squealed, turning to the stroller, squealing loudly. “Oooohh! Look at these cute little raptors!”

 

Taemin slapped a hand against his mouth to prevent him from laughing out loud at the pissed off look on Key’s dad’s face.

The rapper blinked stupidly at his friend’s sudden appearance. Where the hell she came from? Wasn’t she angry that he left all these months without telling her a thing..?

He watched her in shock as the boyish girl leaned on the stroller, squealing like a mad person. Normally…Amber acted cool and quiet and…well, cool. But when she was around kids…this happened.

 

“What are you doing here?!” Key asked, still trying to recover from the shock. Amber was the last person he expected to find right now to be honest. It’s not like he was mad about it, no, he was extremely happy to find his friend there, he had missed her like hell really.

 

The girl grinned. “Making your life a lot easier! Jonghyun called me to help him. You didn't expect three completely unfashionable boys to decorate a whole house by themselves, did you? They’d ruin it and they were pretty aware of that.” She laughed.

 

Key wanted to slap himself. With the surprise to find Amber he didn't even look inside!

He turned his feline eyes towards the open gate and gasped. “Omo…”

 

In front of him…was something he never expected to find.

The road led him to a stone made house, both doors and windows were wooden, it had two big doors, which he could tell that belonged to the conjoined garage. The lights were , making the big house glow in a beautiful shade of golden.

Jonghyun…bought this..?

Was…was…WAS HE MAD?! That must have been ing expensive!

Oh my god…that stupid dinossaur was broke now wasnt he?

 

Behind Key, Amber was still leaned on the stroller, the babies’ cheeks. “Aaahh! Mikumie! It’s auntie Amber! Do you like me? Do you my little muffin? Yes you do!” She said in a baby voice.

 

“Wow…” Taemin gasped next to his dumbfolded friend, staring at the house in awe.

 

“Omo, Jae-sun, are you glaring at me? Such smart baby!” Amber grinned, poking the baby’s nose.

 

Key’s mom had her hands on , covering it while staring at her son’s new house. Her family was rich; she wanted her son to live in luxury as well, but she had been worried about the other boy’s tastes. Jonghyun looked so …simple. She knew that he came from a normal family, that he was used to little comfort and she thought that he would buy a common house as well. She had never expected him to buy such a thing.

 

“Not bad.” Key’s dad shrugged, pouting his lower lip out.  “Could be better.”

 

The nurse gasped, slapping her husband’s arm forcefully. “Yeobo! Stop picking on the poor boy, the house looks gorgeous! How can you say that?!”

 

“I have the right to pick on him! He stole Kibum from us!” The man complained, frowning in a childish way.

 

The nurse rolled her eyes, crossing her arms against her chest. “Aish, you’re so immature!”

 

“Ehhh, you’re a biter aren’t you?”  Amber chuckled when the baby boy caught her finger between his lips. The tomboy girl took her finger out and made a face. “Aigo…baby spit..”

 

Key’s lips curved in a shocked smile. “This is…”

 

“Please adopt me.” Taemin said suddenly by his side.

 

Key looked at the maknae in surprise. “What?”

 

“I’m serious. I want to live here.”  The younger boy looked at him with wide eyes. “Please?”

 

“You should see inside.” Amber said behind the boys.

 

Key turned to the female rapper and gasped when he saw the girl holding his little boy in her arms. “YAH! Who gave you permission to touch my baby?!” He yelled, his motherly alarm ringing inside his ears loudly.

 

“They like me!” Amber grinned, shaking the baby slightly, making him smile a little. “Aww! See?! You saw it didn’t you?!”

 

“You’ll drop him! Get your manly hands away from my baby!” Key took Jae-sun from the girl’s arms and gave him a protective hug.

 

The female rapper gasped, faking to be offended. “Manly hands?! Well, these manly hands made a lot for your house.” She laughed. “Let’s enter, shall we? I bet Jonghyun hid his tail between his legs and got himself under the bed by now.”

 

“Why would he do that?” Taemin asked, following Amber who started walking inside.

 

“He’s been trembling all day just thinking that Key would arrive today, it’s kinda sweet really, but annoying after a while.” She rolled her eyes, smirking.

 

Key put the baby back in the stroller and his mother gave him a smile, indicating him that she would push it for him. “Go on dear. You’re still weak.”

 

Key smiled in a silent thanks and saw his dad mumble to himself, looking irritated, pouting like a kid. He rolled his eyes, fighting a smile, his dad was probably pissed that he wasn’t going with him to Daegu..

 

Omo…the house looked even greater now that he was slowly making his way to the main door.

Was this really his? This wasn’t some joke right? This was his home from now on…

Damn…his head was spinning now…

 

Amber stopped talking to Taemin and gave the rapper a concerned look. “Why are you walking behind us? You should be in front, the house is yours. C’mon.” She said, grinning as she pulled his arm.

 

“Is it open?” Taemin asked when they reached the front door. He didn’t wait for an answer though, he pushed it softly and the door opened a bit.

 

Amber walked inside first, dragging the male rapper with her. “Welcome home Kibum.”