Choices

Two in a Million

 

When Key arrived home from the clinic, only Minho was still sleeping. It was almost lunch time and Taemin was struggling in the kitchen already, Onew whimpering to him about how hungry he was. Key had been teaching the maknae how to cook, and when he was out, Taemin was obviously the target of the other three hungry boys.

 

“Morning.” Key greeted them, and Jonghyun looked over his shoulder on the sofa. He looked...annoyed.

 

Truth was…Jonghyun wasn’t pleased. At all.

When he woke up, Key wasn’t in the bed with him; he had just vanished in thin air, not even leaving a note. He already knew he was going out…but the other never told him that. It looked like…he was keeping a secret from him.

Jonghyun didn’t like secrets. Not when he was being kept in ignorance like this.

Key was hiding something. He was almost sure of this.

 

“Where were you?” The singer asked, his eyes on the TV, not paying attention to it at all.

 

Key took out his jacket and shrugged. “With Amber.”

 

Jonghyun felt like he had just been slapped.

Amber? Now he wanted to laugh. Of course he wasn’t with Amber! He had heard Key talk last night! He would never speak with the tomboy girl in that way! They were too close for formalities!

 

Key never kept secrets from him!

What if…no. Key couldn’t be seeing someone else right? No, Key would never do that.

But still…the fact that he knew he was lying was slowly breaking his heart.

 

He said nothing though. He couldn’t just act jealous like that; he needed to trust his lover. He knew that Key would never do anything to hurt him, maybe he was overreacting.

Yeah…maybe that was it.

 

Key looked strange though. He watched the rapper enter the kitchen, automatically wrapping the apron around his waist, shoving Onew out of the kitchen. But he didn’t shout. He always made a fuss about people inside his kitchen, being so quiet…was not normal.

 

Key looked tired; his eyes were slightly red too.

Thinking about it, Key looked weaker since the past month. On the stage he was the first to get tired, and his moves weren’t so quick and sharp like before, on practices he would need to sit down and drink bottles and bottles of water, going to the bathroom occasionally.

He knew they had a very tiring life but Key could be very energetic, this was different. Today Key wasn’t shining, he looked truly sad.

A quiet Key only meant that something was indeed very wrong.

 

“Morning…” Minho walked to the living room slowly, his bed hair spiking in every possible direction.

 

Jonghyun looked up and chuckled to his friend’s sleepy eyes. “Good morning Sloth Monster.”

 

“Very funny. ”Minho yawned and sat down beside the older boy, almost knocking the other down off the couch. “Scoot.”

 

Jonghyun yelped loudly and moved to the other side of the couch.“Oi! Why don’t you throw me on the floor? Jeez.”

 

Onew came from the bathroom and sat on the armchair, taking the remote to watch the news.

 

Minho smirked evilly. “Key wouldn’t approve of that. Besides, it’s not my fault you’re short.”

 

Onew gasped and looked at his friends, the end of his lips curving in a smile. “Oh boy…”

 

Jonghyun gaped at the rapper. “Oh no, you didn’t.”

 

“Problem?” Minho continued smiling at the older boy, obviously teasing him, provoking him.

 

Jonghyun jumped to the floor and stood in front of the taller boy, waving his arms, punching the air in playful aggressive moves. “Come here and face me like a man!”

 

“Sorry, I don’t fight with gnomes.” Minho smirked, looking away.

 

“Critical Hit from Flaming Charisma to BlingBling’s Ego! BlingBling’s life is reduced to 10%!” Onew shouted, making Jonghyun fake a heart attack, dropping on knees on the floor, grabbing his chest and groaning in pain loudly.

 

Minho laughed to his friend’s childishness and shook his head. However, something caught his eye, making him sit closer to the edge of the couch, trying to get a better look of the object of his curiosity. “Hyung, what is that?”

 

Jonghyun followed Minho’s stare and gasped, picking up a little black box that had fallen from his pocket. “It’s nothing!”

 

Onew gave Minho a knowing smile and the taller boy nodded, getting the message.

Jonghyun smiled innocently and was just preparing to stand up and run for his life when his two friends pinned him to the floor. “Yaaah!”

 

Onew pulled his legs, making Jonghyun fall on the carpet and Minho sat on his back, picking up the little box from his friend’s hand.  “Give that back!”

 

Minho ignored his hyung’s shouts and opened the velvety box, two silver rings inside.

The rapper grinned and patted Jonghyun’s head under him. “You love sick puppy. Isn’t this just adorable?”

 

Onew let go of his friend’s legs and peeked above Minho’s shoulder. “Wa! Are you going to propose?!”

 

Jonghyun blushed and shoved Minho off him, grabbing his precious little box again, hiding it on his pocket when it had been previously. “Keep your nose out of other people’s business!”

 

“Seriously, what are these for?” Minho asked, sitting on the couch again.

 

Jonghyun looked around, making sure Key was away and whispered. “Key and I have been dating for six months now…and I realized we didn’t have any rings yet…Key likes those things, you know him.Yeah…that’s about it.”He said slowly, trying to calculate his words so his friend didn’t notice the true re-

 

Minho yawned. “And the real reason is?”

 

Jonghyun gaped at the rapper. Damn him! Oh hell, better say it already.

“I want to ask him to come live with me.”

 

Onew made a confused face before raising his eyebrows. “But you already-oh.Like…to another place?”

 

“That’s big, hyung.” Minho nodded.

 

Jonghyun sighed. “I know.”

 

“It’s like you’re marrying him.” Onew laughed in amusement.

 

“I know.” The singer said once again.

 

Minho looked at the leader singer with a worried expression. “If that reaches to the media…you know that you have to be caref-”

 

“I know! I know!” Jonghyun hissed, standing up. “I still don’t know if he really wants to move out so…”

 

Minho laughed. “I hope you’re kidding. Stop cooking for 4 guys is enough reason for him to want to move.”

 

Onew looked at his friends in shock. “That means…who is going to cook then?!”

 

The three of them looked at each other in silence, the only sound audible coming from the kitchen where the other two boys were making lunch.

 

“TAEMIN.” They shouted.

 

“Now I almost feel sorry for the kid.” Jonghyun laughed, giving Onew’s knee a playful kick. “Cooking for Always Hungry Dubu…”

 

“He’s been having lessons with Key, so he can’t be that bad right?” Onew asked, ignoring Jonghyun’s comment.

 

“You remember the times when he didn’t know how to peel an apple? I’m traumatized; I don’t think I trust him enough to eat his food. ” Minho confessed, shaking his head negatively, taking the remote to change the channel on the TV.

 

“Eh?! You’re his bestfriend! You don’t trust him?!” Jonghyun chuckled.

 

“I do but I like being alive, thank you very much.” The taller boy smirked, his eyes fixed on the sport’s channel he had chosen.

 

“Guys, lunch is ready.” Taemin came from the kitchen wearing the yellow apron with red bold letters saying ‘Careful!  Still learning!’ that Key had given him.

 

“Did you made it?” Onew asked right away, making Jonghyun let out a loud chuckle.

 

The maknae raised his eyebrows in confusion. “What?”

 

“The food. Did you cook it? How good are you in the kitchen?” Minho asked seriously, pointing an accusing finger at the younger boy.

 

“Do you know how to make Key’s special pasta already?” Onew copied Minho’s serious expression.

 

“Argh…no I don’t.” Taemin looked at his friends like they had suddenly grown a second head. Why the hell were they asking that?!

 

Both Minho and Onew sighed loudly and got up, walking to the kitchen, followed by a laughing Jonghyun.

Taemin couldn’t be more confused.

 

Minho stopped by the maknae’s side and glared. “Then learn it quick before it’s too late.” He said in a scary voice, entering the kitchen.

 

Taemin was going to ask what the hell was going on when Onew stopped by his side too, sulking. “Yeah, you better.”

 


 

A baby.

Inside him.

Growing.

 

The thoughts haunted Key’s mind like ghosts.

This was indeed the most complicated situation he ever had been on. He wished his grandma was here now, she would know what to do.

Wait…

Now it made sense.

The paragraph his grandma wrote in the letter… ‘I still think it was a mistake to keep hiding this from you but you are growing into a fine young man and you’re filming Hello Baby, and…I can’t help but wonder.’...did she know that there was a chance for him to be in a gay relationship?

He was good with kids, it was natural for him, and his grandmother knew the truth since the very beginning. She knew that there was a small chance of him to have a baby.

She knew he was gay before he did.

 

“You’re quiet.”

 

Key looked up, smiling when he saw Jonghyun’s worried puppy eyes looking back at him.

He needed to tell him. But how?

How could he explain the impossible?

 

Key wanted to cry again. God! Why was he so edgy?! His hormones were getting crazy!

 

“It’s nothing.” He lied.

 

The pair was sitting in the sofa, Key resting his head on Jonghyun’s lap.

Onew had a musical to do that day and Taemin went to see it with some friends while Minho went to buy a new pair of sneakers.

The taller boy had been shocked when Key refused to go shopping with him, it was a rare chance to go out with Minho but Key just wasn’t feeling like it.

He wasn’t feeling like doing anything at all.

He just wanted to be there, on his lover’s safe embrace, trying to set his head straight.

 

“Do you like kids?” The question left his mouth without his brain’s permission and Key felt himself pale at his own words. Was he stupid?

 

Jonghyun blinked in surprise to the sudden question but smiled. “Of course I do. Why is that?”

 

“Did…did you ever thought to be…a father?” Key made his best to not sound suspicious, yet he knew he was failing.

 

“Key…” The singer smiled sadly. Jonghyun had thought about it, he wanted a family, but he knew that that would be impossible if he wanted to stay with Key. Yet, he had decided to abdicate that pleasure to be with the boy. Was Key worried that he would give up on their relationship because of that? “You’re thinking too much. I thought about it too you know? But, I just want to be with you, I’m not giving up on you.”

 

“No, that’s not it... Let’s say I could get pregnant! Would you have kids with me?” Key babbled, feeling the tension start to get heavy on his shoulders. What was he doing?! This wasn’t the proper way to tell anything at all!

 

Jonghyun laughed.

Key felt something break inside him. Why was he laughing?

 

“Don’t say that! Imagine yourself with a big belly, complaining about everything, you’re moody already, if you ever got pregnant that would be the end of all of us.” Jonghyun chuckled, wiping small laughing tears on the corners of his eyes.

 

The end of all of us.

 

The words echoed in his head with a different meaning. He knew he was referring to his mood, but he couldn’t help but think that the band would end too.

 He…really didn’t know what to do. He had never felt so lost before.

 

“Why are you asking this all of sudden?” Jonghyun made a face, smiling.

 

“Argh..nothing! Just…my imagination taking over. ” Key faked a chuckle. He wasn’t ready for this…

 

“Babo.” The lead singer chuckled, pressing a soft kiss on Key’s forehead.

 

 


 

Minho was back home and Key took this golden opportunity to leave Jonghyun with him. The rapper told this boyfriend that he would go out with Mir for a while and left the apartment.

He had been lying a lot but…he needed this.

He needed space, and right now he needed to go out to the park to clear his head.

 

Key knew this was dangerous, to go out like this without any bodyguard, his disguise being only dark sunglasses, a large gray hoodie and a hat.

 

It was a nice weather and the park was crowded. Parks, Key noticed, were the kids’ favorite place.

He looked around, there were kids riding bicycles, kids playing tag, kids playing with their parents, kids on the mud, kids being taught how to walk, kids, kids, kids…

 

Without noticing, his hands travelled down to his stomach, rubbing it slowly.

 

Something hit his leg and the rapper looked down to see a small red ball by his feet.

A little boy came running to him and stopped, staring at the ball and then to Key, afraid to get any closer.

 

The idol kneeled down and grabbed the ball. “Is this yours?”

 

The small boy nodded slowly, shyly.

 

“Don’t throw it too far away next time, ok?” Key smiled, handing the ball to the boy.

 

“Ok.” The kid smiled, taking the ball and running to his friends again.

 

Key felt his lips widen in a smile and shook his head. He was so damn sensitive sometimes, he was a er for kids, he just couldn’t help it.

Letting out a sigh, he palmed his belly. He knew it was still very small, he had seen it on the screen but…what was it? Was it a girl? A boy? How would it look like? Would it have Jonghyun’s eyes? Or his nostrils?

 

Key let out a chuckle, imagining Jonghyun run after a baby dinosaur.

 

Oh god…he couldn’t do that.

He didn’t have the courage to kill it. How could he?

His baby…their baby.

 

A tear escaped his left eye and Key wiped it before it could roll down his cheek.

He was going to tell Jonghyun…that night he needed to do it.

Or was it better to take him to the clinic to talk with Doctor Jung? Yes, that would be a better option. The doctor would know how to explain it.

He knew this wasn’t going to be easy at all… choosing to keep the baby meant…meant a big, catastrophic change in his life. What would happen to Shinee? That was what pained him the most. If he couldn’t dance for eight more months…he was not going to be able to perform at all. He knew he didn’t have the energy to too.

 

Key smiled sadly and patted his belly. “You’re not even of the size of my pinky finger and you’re messing with my life already, I don’t even want to know when you get out.”

 


 

Minjee sighed loudly and groaned right after.

Why wasn’t this feeling like it should? She was helping her friend to win the boy’s heart but…was this right?

She felt like a criminal.

But…Sekyung was her childhood friend; she would never make her do something if she knew that it could trouble her, right?

 

“There he is.” The man by her side told her.

 

This was the man that SeKyung hired to help her in her task. She didn’t trust him, he wasn’t ugly or gross, he was about 22 years old and had a nice appearance but the way he talked and acted…how did her friend even know people like this?

 

“Ok, I’m going to do my part, be ready when the time comes.” The girl said, handing her phone to the older boy.

 

Minjee sighed again and came out of the shadows of a tree, following the idol.

 

I’m sorry Kim Kibum.

 


 

*runs away before you all start to throw kitchen knifes at me*