Waiting Torture

Two in a Million

“H-Here! It’s…here!” Taemin gasped for air, stopping in front of a familiar white and blue building. The maknae wanted to sit down on the floor and stop to breathe …but no…Jonghyun didn’t stop. He ran even faster. Damn. “W-waiiit…!”

                                                   

The lead singer didn’t feel tired, he didn’t felt like he had to breathe. He knew his body was sweating but he didn’t feel it. The only thing he felt right now was adrenaline. The need to see Key again was driving him crazy, giving him the strength to keep going.

Stepping inside the building, Jonghyun made his way to one of the secretaries and made his best to make his English sound decent. “Good morning, I’m searching for Kim Kibum please.”

 

Minho and Taemin came walking slowly after the lead singer, taking deep, tired breaths. The taller boy wiped his forehead with the back of his hand and stared at Taemin in shock. “H-he…he never runs like this…w-when we jog in the…in the morning…!” He gasped for air, eyes wide in shock.

 

Taemin nodded, too exhausted to talk.

 

“What do you mean you can’t tell me?!” Jonghyun shouted, making everyone in the room look at him.

 

Minho raised his head, worried, and walked to Jonghyun’s side, putting a hand on his shoulder, trying to calm his friend down. “What’s the matter?”

 

Jonghyun turned to the boy and glared. “She says that she can’t give me any information!”

 

Minho sighed. Of course she wouldn’t give him any information, a male pregnancy wasn’t something that could be discussed in public like that. He pushed the stressed out boy to the side and gave his best smile to the woman in front of him. “I’m sorry for my friend, we’re all nervous, I’ll try to explain..”

 

Taemin sighed loudly, throwing his head back. They couldn’t waste time trying to talk to these people…! They needed to hurry! Wait…what if…?

The maknae smiled at his own idea and poked Jonghyun’s arm. “Hyung, hyung follow me.”

 

Jonghyun gave him a weird look but nodded, tapping Minho’s shoulder before following the younger male. The secretary stood up, alarmed. “Where are you going?! You can’t go in there without permission!”

 

Minho looked at his friends that had just disappeared inside two big metalic doors and gave the woman a forced smile. “We’re…going to the restroom.” He lied.

 

The middle aged secretary watched as the last boy ran away and grabbed the phone, pressing a few numbers. “Security…I need help with three asian boys.”

 

 


 

Key whimpered, looking at the IV inserted in his vein. He hated needles…and this one was a big one.. he felt like he could faint just by looking at it!

He was in the pre-procedure room, waiting for someone to come in to put him to sleep.

He had never trembled and sweated so much in his life. He used to be nervous before a concert, but now that seemed to be pretty easy to handle comparing to this.

He was so scared; he couldn’t help but curl on the stretcher, hoping to wake up from this nightmare as soon as possible..

 

Suddenly, the door opened and his mother came in, dressed in nurse clothes. For the first time, he was glad to see her in that outfit.

The woman smiled at him and petted his hair. “Are you ready?” She spoke in an unusual caring tone.

 

Key shook his head almost instantaneously, his heart racing inside his ribcage. “No..”

 

 


 

“Sam! Samantha!” Taemin called, entering a familiar office, his friends following him close behind. She had to help them…!

 

A dark skinned, large woman came from behind the desk, raising her eyebrows in surprise while holding a few documents in her hands. “Hey pretty boy, what are you doing here? Who let you in?”

 

Taemin bowed his head slightly as asking for forgiveness. “I’m sorry. Please, can you tell us where Key is? It’s really important.” He said in english.

 

Samantha raised her eyebrow, confused. “’key’?  Why do you need a key?”

 

Taemin wanted to facepalm himself in there. He kept forgetting that they didn’t know about Key’s stage name…! “Kibum! Kim Kibum! Please, we need to know…you have to help us…! Is he in surgery already?” he asked, feeling Jonghyun tense by his side.

 

The woman looked at her watch and shook her head. “Doctor Jung left about fifteen minutes ago, so Kibum must be waiting on the second floor. I think they’ll start now.” She murmured and then gave Taemin a weird look. “I thought you were with him.”

 

“Thank you a lot!” The younger male bowed again, ignoring her as his friends opened the door of the office, already running to the elevator.

 

The nurse gasped. “Wait! You can’t just go in there!”

 

The boys ignored her and stepped inside the elevator, Jonghyun hitting the button to go up. “C’mon…c’mon…!”

 

The door closed and an old woman gave them a weird look, walking to the opposite corner, watching them suspiciously.

Minho sighed and rested his back against the elevator’s wall, Taemin looking at him, biting his lip. “What if we’re too late..?” he whispered to the taller boy.

 

Minho patted Taemin’s shoulder, his eyes on Jonghyun’s back. He leaned on the maknae and whispered. “Let’s just support him the best way we can ok?”

 

Jonghyun stomped his foot on the floor, impatient. The elevator made a pinched high sound and the doors opened, the three of them rushing out.

There were three corridors…! Three long corridors…that wasn’t going to help at all!

Minho cursed silently, stopping. “Where to now?”

 

Receiving no reply, the rapper looked around to find none of his friends with him. He looked at his right and saw Taemin run to one corridor, opening and closing doors to peek inside.

He turned to the other side only to see Jonghyun do the same. Damn, they were going to get themselves in trouble this way…!

 

Aw it. He thought, running to the last corridor.

 

 


 

Too many doors, too many nurses, too many patients…!

He didn’t open the doors completely, he just needed to peek inside, he knew he had no right to disturb the people in there, especially when that floor was full of pregnant women, some of them with their kids in their arms already, resting in silence.

Oh god…he was going to have babies just like those soon too!

This felt like a dream. A really bizarre dream.

This was too weird, too confusing to be real. But he kept running, only listening to his furious heartbeat and unsteady breathing.

He never heard the shouts of two angry men running after him.

He never saw the nurses look at him strangely as he ran along the corridor. He could only see those red, bold letters above two big steel doors… ‘C-Section’.

His legs felt like jelly, he had trouble to keep on running, he felt like his body was finally giving up.

 

Then he saw it.

 

Exiting the corridor in front of that door, dressed in a hospital uniform, was Key’s mother.

He stopped running; he stopped to watch what came next, feeling the time stop around him, only moving in slow motion.

 

Along with another doctor, the woman that had allowed him to stay at her house a few times in the past…was pulling a white stretcher.

Someone was laid on it…

Someone with blonde hair.

Someone with bow shaped lips…

 

“K-K-…” He gagged, choking on air, feeling a drop of sweat run down his chin.

 

The blonde boy he hadn’t seen for so much time, that had disappeared without saying goodbye…the person that he loved the most…was there. He found him...

 

“KEY!”

 

He shouted the name, making every head turn to him. Everyone was looking, but not the one he wanted the most. Key had his eyes closed.

No…he couldn’t be asleep already!!! He needed him to know that he was there!!! That he was going to be by his side…!

 

He was about to run again when he felt strong hands on his arms, pulling him up.

Startled, Jonghyun’s eyes widened and the time seemed to return to normal, every sound obvious to him now. People were whispering, pointing at him, curiosity in their eyes.

 

He looked up, horrified to see two huge men grabbing his arms, dressed in dark uniforms. Security..?!

Key’s mother came running, followed by another doctor. “Jonghyun?!”

 

“Mrs. Kim…!” he gagged, suddenly feeling weak. Her angry, piercing eyes fell on him, making him look down, avoiding her gaze.

 

“Do you know this person Miss?” The man at his right asked, squeezing his arm almost painfully.

 

The dark eyes of the curled haired woman looked back at him in annoyance. “Yes I do.” She said in a harsh tone, her gaze never leaving him. Her English was almost fluent if it wasn’t for the slight Korean accent.  “Don’t worry; I’ll handle him from now on. I’m sorry if he’s been causing disturbance.”

 

The two guards looked at each other and released the singer.

“We’ve been told that three boys entered the area without permission. Are the other two with you too?” The same security guard asked, crossing his arms.

 

“Three?” Key’s mom repeated, rubbing her temples in distress.

 

Jonghyun looked down in shame. This was a bad time to get in trouble… “Lee Taemin and Choi Minho…” He whispered.

 

She sighed tiredly. “I see. I’m really sorry; they’re my son’s friends.”

 

“They’re still not allowed to run.” The other guard gave him a disapproving look.

 

Jonghyun felt like a kid right now, being scolded by the adults. He was listening, but his eyes weren’t paying attention anymore. He kept staring at Key, laid unconscious on the stretcher, a big bulge where was supposed to be his flat tummy.

A really…really big bulge…

His heart was hitting his chest like crazy.

His children…his babies were in there, trapped inside Key’s belly…

His eyes were burning but he couldn’t blink, he didn’t want to waste any moment of that vision. His Key…he was so close…

 

“Search for the other boys and show them the waiting room. We have to go now.” The other doctor by Mrs. Kim side said, walking back to the stretcher, pushing it to the C-Section door.

Jonghyun stared as he watched Key disappear inside the big, scary doors. He needed to go with him…

 

“Go with them Jonghyun, you’ll know when we’re finished.” Key’s mother’s voice woke him up to the reality.

 

He stared at the woman in horror. Was she serious?!

Go away? Wait in another room?!

 

“No, please! I have to see Key!” Jonghyun begged; his eyes wide. He was the father!!! He needed to stay with Key! He needed to stay by his side and be there for him, he wanted to watch his kids come to the world…! He had that right!

 

“I don’t know how you found about Kibum’s condition, but this isn’t the time to chat with him, he’s anesthetized, he won’t wake up in the next hours. He’s going to have surgery now, please leave.” Her voice cut the air like a sharp blade.

 

Jonghyun shook his head violently. “NO, I won’t leave! I can’t! He needs me!”

 

The woman looked furious now. She took a few steps in his direction and pointed him a finger. “Kim Jonghyun! You may be my son’s bestfriend but you will not disrespect my orders when my son is about to be operated!” She half-shouted, still trying to keep her voice low.

 

Jonghyun gave the woman a weird look. Bestfriend…?

That meant that…Key never told her…

 

The nurse watched as the boy’s eyes dropped to the floor, looking lost, looking…like he…

The woman’s eyes widened. No… he couldn’t be…

He was her son’s bestfriend…but the look he kept in his eyes…it wasn’t just friendship.

Was this boy...the person Key didn’t want to talk about? The one he said to have fought with? His…boyfriend..?

 

“You…” She whispered in a small, trembling voice. “It’s you…? Are you…Kibum’s…?”

 

Jonghyun looked back at her, his eyes shining with restrained tears. “Yes..”

 

The nurse put her hand on , shocked.

This was why her son never told her who the father of his kids was. He knew that she would go straight to him if he told her.

 

Jonghyun sobbed, his lip trembling. He wanted to be strong, but he just couldn’t take it anymore! “I can’t leave…they’re…they’re my children…please let me in…!”

 

“You…” The nurse stepped back and shook her head. “I don’t have time for this. They’ll start without me. You’ll wait in the waiting room.” She said, turning around.

 

Jonghyun’s heart skipped a beat and he grabbed the female’s arm. “NO! I need to be with Kibum! You don’t understand..!”

 

What came next…he never expected to happen.

The middle aged woman turned around with teary eyes, her gaze burning in rage. She poked his chest with her finger hard enough to hurt. “You don’t understand! My son’s life is in danger! And I won’t lose him or my grandchildren because of your stubbornness! Father or not, you will wait with your friends in there! I’m not joking Jonghyun!” She spat, her hands trembling.

 

Jonghyun felt something drop inside him, leaving him numb. “Danger..?” he whispered in shock.

 

The woman turned around again, walking in large steps to the doors that key had disappeared into. “Take him to the waiting room and keep him there.” She said in English again.

 

The security guard, that had been staring at them, not understanding a word, nodded and grabbed his arm.

 

”No, wait…!”

 


 

The three boys were sited in a small waiting room, Jonghyun sited away from the others he didn’t want anyone to bug him right now, he was too devastated to talk.

That place felt cold, felt lifeless. There was a television on the wall but there was no sound coming from it, there was a small table on the corner of the room filled with magazines, a coffee machine and a small plant next to the table.

The room felt empty, it felt exactly how Jonghyun was feeling inside. Empty, lost, emotionless.

He kept staring at the floor, the woman’s words ringing in his mind.

Key’s life was at risk. And Taemin knew about this, he had been explaining it to him for the past fifteen minutes.

 

“I’m sorry hyung…I didn’t want to worry you…” The maknae apologized for the fifth time. “You were so nervous already…”

 

Jonghyun couldn’t take it anymore. He stood up but didn’t look at the younger boy; he kept roaming around the room, panic filling his senses. “You should have said something!!! That is no excuse!”

 

“I’m sorry…” The maknae whispered, lowering his head. Minho gave the blonde a sympathetic look and squeezed his arm.

 

Jonghyun’s hands never left his face. He was tired from crying, he had been crying for so long now… and now this. “Key can die…He knew he could die and he still kept them…”

 

Minho looked to the floor, biting his lip. “He sure is brave…going all the way, knowing what could happen…”

 

“You’re not helping Minho!” Taemin whispered angrily. Jonghyun was slowly breaking in pieces before their eyes; he didn’t need any more motivation to break down crying again. It hurt him to see his hyung like this.

 

“I’m sorry…I’m just shocked…” The rapped whispered back.

 

Taemin pursed his lips into a fine line, eyeing his bestfriend disapprovingly. “Keep your thoughts inside your head! He’s nervous already!”

 

Jonghyun turned to his friends and looked at Taemin with bloodshot eyes. “And how are you so calm? Key is in there, being opened up…and he can-…” He cursed, tears unleashing themselves from his eyes again. He couldn’t even think about it…Key couldn’t leave him…! Not now! Not ever!

 

Minho stood up and walked to the older boy, rubbing his back. “Hyung, please sit…calm down …”

 

Taemin looked down, frowning. “I know he won’t die. I talked to him before. He said he was going to be strong, he said he was going to fight.” He looked directly at Jonghyun, facing him without fear. “And I trust him. I know he won’t fail.”

 

Jonghyun let out a sarcastic laugh before turning serious again. “He’s just a human Taemin! He’s unconscious! He can’t ‘fight’ as you call it. That is only real in the movies” He spat, walking away from Minho, sitting down again on the opposite side of the room. “His life is in those doctor’s hands!”

 

They stayed in silence for a while, Jonghyun’s face sunk in his hands again, sobbing quietly, Minho stood quiet in the middle of the room, not knowing what to do and Taemin…

 

“He’s Almighty Key.” Taemin said, breaking the silence. “He never fails.”

 

The two boys looked at the maknae, reflecting on his words. The boy was insane. Key was still a normal boy. He didn’t have super powers but…he was indeed…The Almighty Key. The person that looked frail but was the strongest of them all, the pillar of the five of them. The one who kept them sane at the craziest times. Key…was strong.

 

“You’re right…” Minho smiled.

 

Jonghyun shook his head. “No he isn’t.”

 

Taemin frowned angrily. “Why are you being so negative? Can’t you trust Key for once?” He felt like shaking the older boy by the shoulders. Why couldn’t he be a bit positive about this?! Why bring the mood down?!

 

“I-I trust him…I just-” Jonghyun gagged, his head feeling too heavy for words.

 

Taemin gave the singer a desperate look and threw his arms in the air. “Then think positive! Think that in a few hours you’ll be by his side, discussing who will change the first diaper!”

 

The rapper gave Taemin a weird look, smiling while rising his eyebrow. “Seriously…the things you remember…”

 

Ring ding dong

Ring ding dong

Ring diggi ding diggi

 

Taemin gave them an apologetic look and pulled out his phone from his jacket. “It’s Onew..”

 

Jonghyun took a deep breath, ignoring him.

He kept looking at the clock. Twenty minutes passed by already…

He was about to say something to Minho when the door opened. His eyes widened, expecting Key’s mom but…

 

A whole family entered the room, accommodating themselves on the other chairs.

Sighing, he stood up and let an old man sit on his seat, walking to Minho’s side. Taemin kept speaking on the phone and he glanced at a very nervous man who decided to keep standing up, refusing to sit down. He was probably the father.

The family seemed radiant, happy to receive the newest member.

There were two kids running around too, playing tag around the small table. They were about four and five years old and the mother kept shouting at them to be quiet and stay still.

 

Jonghyun smiled at the running boys. He didn’t felt ready to be a father at all but…hell…the very thought of having babies…two babies in his arms…it melt his heart faster than an ice cube inside an oven.

Taemin was right…he was being negative.

This family was looking really happy to be there, to see the baby that was about to come, and he should too.

 

Key was strong; he wouldn’t leave his children this quick. No, he was going to feed them, to play with them, to nag them twice as bad as he did with Taemin.

He felt tears in his eyes again but quickly wiped them off. Key’s mother was in there with him, she would never allow him to die right?

 

“Onew hyung will catch a flight soon. He’s freaking out because he lied to the manager for the first time.” He heard Taemin say.

 

The maknae was right…everything would be alright…

 

 


 

An hour, twenty four minutes and fourteen seconds.

Was…was this normal?

The other family had only to wait thirty minutes…! They were gone already…!

Jonghyun had tried to find nurses two times already, asking if they could tell him what was going on, if they knew something, anything! They didn’t.

His body was tired, he didn’t had much sleep and he kept drinking coffees to stay awake. He hadn’t eaten much either so his stomach was hurting too.

Where were his kids? How was Key? Were the babies alright? Were they healthy? Why were they taking so long?! Did something happen?

He was shaking; he couldn’t help it..

 

The sound of the door opening alarmed the three boys, who raised their heads, expecting a nurse. There was no nurse, there was a man, a very familiar man. Jonghyun stood up automatically, bowing. “Mr.Kim…”

 

Key’s father was a tall man; he wore glasses and was dressed in an expensive suit. For some reason, Jonghyun had always feared this man. He didn’t seem friendly at all and his serious expression didn’t help. Key kept saying that he was a nice person but that was something hard to believe…

 

“Where is my son?” The man asked right away, not even caring to greet them. That was something Key had inherited from him, he would always go straight to the point.

 

“He’s still inside sir.” Jonghyun answered right away, his palms sweating.

 

The man nodded, his face getting even more serious looking. “And my wife?”

 

“I’m here.” A female voice came from the door.

 

Taemin and Minho stood up immediately, running to Jonghyun’s side.

The lead singer felt his heart bump rapidly against his ribcage, panic taking the best of him. “How’s Key?” Jonghyun asked, his eyes wide in worry. “And the babies..?”

 

The woman looked tired. Her eyes were red as if she had been crying and her hair was a bit messy.

Jonghyun felt numb for a moment, feeling his body’s heat drop, a horrible thought crossing his mind. However, she smiled weakly. “The babies are healthy, they’re perfect.” She said in a small voice, her smile growing slowly. “They’re beautiful…”

 

Jonghyun’s heart came to life again and he couldn’t help but grin in happiness, Minho patting his back while Taemin whispered ‘congratulations hyung’ in his ear.

His son and daughter were outside in this world already…! The singer wanted to laugh, feeling his head much lighter than before. He was a dad…! He was a ing dad!

 

“And Kibum?” The older man asked, wearing the same expression than before. How could he be so cold? His wife just told them that his grandchildren were perfect!

 

The nurse her lips and took a deep breath. “He’s…unconscious.”

 

Jonghyun’s smile dropped. What..?

The man frowned, crossing his arms against his chest. “Unconscious?”

 

The curled haired woman nodded, giving her husband a small smile. “He’s safe.. It wasn’t easy…but we made it.”

 

“What happened?” Both Taemin and Jonghyun asked at the same time.

 

The woman fought a sob, her eyes shining dangerously close to tears. “There were complications. He started losing blood, for minutes we thought that we weren’t quick enough…but his vitals started to normalize gradually.” She explained, looking down.

 

Jonghyun’s body froze to the words.

The woman’s lip started quivering and she finally let her tears escape, hugging her husband. “I was so scared…!” She cried.

 

For the first time, Jonghyun saw the cold looking man smile, petting his wife’s hair. “You did well Ji-yeon. I’m proud.”

 

“He’s…he’s okay then..?” Jonghyun felt stupid to ask this. he knew Key was safe now but…he needed to be sure. He was scared himself, he couldn’t even think on living his life without that nagging, y boy by his side..

 

The woman didn’t move from her husband’s protective embrace, she just smiled, nodding. “He’s resting. He needs to sleep and he better sleep a lot. Kibum has a low tolerance to pain and that cut will give him nothing but pain until it scars. ”

 

Kibum was okay. He was okay, his babies were okay too.

Taemin had been right all the time. Key was a fighter. He didn’t die and he gave him perfect, healthy children… “My babies…where are they? Can I see them?” He gagged, feeling a storm of emotions breaking inside him.

 

Key’s father frowned and turned to Jonghyun, eyeing him suspiciously. “Your babies?” He asked, his voice comming out in a cold, dangerous tone.

 


 

Okay guys, I have something to tell you: I work, I have a life and I have many things to do ALL THE TIME.

That means that I dont have much time to write, I'm not in school, I have a full time job. So PLEASE stop asking me twice a day, rushing me to write faster. I won't. I cant go any faster. And my life isnt being easy for me right now either. 

If I had the time to write, believe me, you'd have two chapters in a day lol

REMEMBER THAT COMMENTS ARE LOVEEEEEEEEEEE!

Key's dad: