Chapter 22

If The World Is Ending...

“Okay, maybe we should’ve considered that they were going to move out their laboratory after that day,” Yena spoke. They just finished checking around the building where Chaewon and Minjoo were kept.

 

“The roof is no go. They locked everything,” Chaeyeon said as she descends to the ground. They’ve been trying to get inside since they find it very odd that the organization would just leave it as it is. It’s very suspicious to leave the building unattended and keep the powers going.

 

“We’re definitely missing something here,” Eunbi huffed. She was looking at the entrance of the building, analyzing if there would be something that would work for them.

 

Sensing a presence approaching, the group quickly hides somewhere. From a distance, they continue to watch staff enter the building and a few minutes passed, they came out with boxes in their hands. “So they are really moving out,” Yena stated.

 

“Or they’re just collecting shreds of evidence to burn it and erase their track. After that mutant attack, they probably concluded their experiment a success,” Chaeyeon shares her view.

 

“Okay, let’s get the last batch. Let’s move people!” they heard the staff in charge commands the team.

 

Eunbi then asks Wonyoung, “Do you think you can copy anyone from them then maybe get inside?”

 

Wonyoung shakes her head, “They are too far, I can barely see their faces from here.”

 

Eunbi nodded and proceeds to share her backup plan. “Okay, we don’t have enough time. Sakura, I want you to teleport yourself in the entrance just in time before the door closes and enter then open the door for us from inside. Do any of you two remember where the control room is?”

 

“A little,” Yena spoke.

 

“Okay. Yena and Chaeyeon will come with Sakura for safety measures just in case. You can handle teleporting with two, right?” Sakura then nods confidently. “The rest of us will wait here but you three need to be fast. We don’t know if they’ll come back or if there would be a different batch.” Eunbi then peeks, “Okay, that’s our signal. You three, be careful.”

While Sakura prepares to teleport, she felt a gentle squeeze on her hand. She looks up and saw Chaeyeon comforting her through looks. Her girlfriend then gave her an encouraging nod. “Let’s do this. For Hyewon.”

 

*****

Suhyun was called into the security room. The monitors displayed familiar faces roaming around the old laboratory. “These stubborn-headed mutants,” she silently sighed. “I wonder whose crazy idea is this?”

 

“Should we send our men?” a guard asked her.

 

“No, delete this footage and turn off the cameras. And I mean every single one. There’s no need to alarm the higher-ups. I’ll handle this. Again, no need to tell anyone, or else I’ll kill you.”

 

Suhyun then leaves the room and goes to the place. When she arrived at the old Lykos laboratory, she saw the familiar van parked not far from. Suhyun chuckled, “Damn that vehicle. Is that their official transportation now?”

 

Suhyun enters the building with ease. She checks the camera to make sure they obeyed her instruction. And they did, but just to be sure she destroys every cam she passes by. When she found them, Wonyoung was the first one to notice her presence while the others were busy scanning through everything inside the room.

 

She smiled at the youngest mutant, trying to erase the scared expression that Wonyoung has. It didn’t work, to Wonyoung that smile was sinister so she called her friends. “Guys?” she called them with a shaking voice.

 

“You found something?” Chaeyeon asked.

 

“Maybe? Can you please stop what you’re doing and turn around? Please?” she replied. Fear was evident when Suhyun started walking towards her. “Please, don’t hurt me.” Wonyoung had her eyes closed. Suhyun was standing too close for her liking.

 

After hearing the last sentence, they finally looked in Wonyoung’s direction. “Leave her alone!” Yujin quickly pushed Suhyun away, causing the latter to hit the wall. Yujin didn’t stop there. She pinned Suhyun to the wall, “Where’s Hyewon?” When Yujin did not get her answer, she pinned her harder to the wall. “Answer me!”

 

“Can you put… me down first? It’s… It’s hard to talk… when you’re being… choked,” Suhyun replied with struggle. She was a foot above the ground.

 

“Yujin put her down. If she was here to stop us, she would’ve killed us all the moment she entered,” Eunbi told her young friend. Yujin was hesitant but still obeyed. “Why are you here? Where’s Hyewon? Is she safe?” Eunbi asked. Suhyun raised her finger, signaling them to give her a moment to breathe.

 

“Déjàvu,” Yena commented in whisper to Chaeyeon.

The latter nudge Yena with her elbow, “Read the room, will you.”

 

Suhyun raised her both hands. “I’m not here to stop you nor kill anyone. I just want to know why you’re here and what are you all doing. Shall we call it a truce?”

 

“What do you mean truce? You’re back to siding to the enemy? After everything, we’ve done for you? Unbelievable!” Yujin scoffed.

 

“Answer our questions,” Eunbi flatly said to Suhyun.

 

Suhyun sighed. She carefully walks to an available stool and sat there comfortably, “Hyewon is safe, I assure you that. And I’m here to help so if you don’t mind, tell me what are you exactly looking for.”

 

*****

The rest of the group was left at the Academy. Yuri and Nako volunteered to stay to keep an eye on the rest because it would be too much to handle for Hitomi if the organization captures Eunbi’s group and decides to come for them too.

 

“She knows! What are we gonna do?” Hitomi frantically entered the room. They were called one by one for interrogation since Ms. Park found about the group’s escape plan too soon.

 

“I told you to lie, didn’t I?” Nako said to her twin.

 

“You know I can’t lie! Plus, she started saying things like; they might end up dead if they don’t find them immediately,” Hitomi mimicked Ms. Park’s voice. “I can’t have that in my conscience!” Chaewon hugged her girlfriend to calm her down.

 

Minjoo then spoke, “She’s right. They’ll need help. Other than the escape, they don’t really have much of a plan. It was a suicide mission! Why did we even let them go?” Minjoo then started pacing around the room. Her worry for her Yujin started to grow again.

 

“Let’s all calm down, okay? They have Chaen and Eunbi. They’ll figure something out. Let’s wait for Ms. Park’s update. She promised, in exchange for our cooperation they’ll keep us posted on their whereabouts and whatnot,” Chaewon said.

 

*****

Ms. Park just finished a phone call. She was in contact with someone that might help her solve her problem. She was massaging her head when Suhyun appeared inside her office. “You really should improve your security, Ms. Park. Including your garage, yes.”

 

“Good afternoon to you, too. How are you? I’m surprised you’re here. Does Hyewon knows?”

 

Suhyun shakes her head, “May I sit?” Ms. Park nodded. “I bumped into your students. Stubborn, that they are,” the mutant chuckled, remembering her conversations with the group earlier.

 

“Why are you really here, Suhyun?”

 

Suhyun clears and sits straight, “Lykos is planning to assassinate the President. They’ll use Uno, the brand new mutant they made. They’ll be using the three of us, including Hyewon. It will be her last mission before they kill her. Help me stop them. Let’s end this crap.”

 

“You’ve said it. The government had my hands all tied up. How do you think will I be able to help?”

 

“You just made a call, Ms. Park. We know that you can’t get involved directly but not them.” Suhyun was already by the door when she halted and walks back towards the older mutant, “Oh! I almost forgot about this,” Suhyun slides a piece of paper on the desk.

 

“An address?” Ms. Park confusedly asked.

 

“Addresses. The first one is our old laboratory and you’ll find your students there. If you send someone now, they would be still there busy skimming through our left computers and some papers for evidence. The second one is the place where the assassination will take place two days from now.” Suhyun then left without any word. She doesn’t know if the woman will help her but it was worth a shot.

 

*****

Hyewon was surprised when her father asked her to come and join him for lunch. Hyewon has her guard up, she followed Suhyun’s advice that she should not be deceived by the man’s action. The man in front of her showing his fatherly side was gone a long time ago, it was impossible that he just suddenly came back. Ever since the experiment on her finished, she and her Dad never really see each other eye to eye. Her father treated her like she was just another pawn like the rest of his team.

 

Hyewon saw her father puts his utensils down and sips on his water before speaking, “I’ll cut to the chase, Hyewon. I need you and Suhyun to do something for us. You two back in the field again.”

 

“I should’ve known better. He will never come back. Not now, not ever.” Hyewon sighed. She puts her utensils down and looks at him, “What do you want?”

 

“I’ll go into the details later. For now, come with me. I’d like you to meet someone,” Dr. Kang grinned. Hyewon knew what that grin meant, the man was planning something sinister.

 

Dr. Kang led her to a heavily secured area of the laboratory. Huge men with huge guns on them are enough to take the hint that only the higher-ups are allowed here. They stopped in front of a room, “I’d like you to meet your new sister,” the doctor said then opened the door.

 

Hyewon saw the mutant solving a complicated-looking block with colors. The mutant solves it within seconds before she greeted the two. “Hyewon, this is Uno. Uno, Hyewon, your older sister.” Hyewon tried to mask her disgust. She can’t believe they copied her friends’ facial features just to give them to her. “This person doesn’t deserve my friends’ face.”

 

“I sense that you don’t like me… Well, the feeling is mutual. I never liked weak people, I despise them. In the world, we live in only the strongest survive.” Hyewon clenched her jaw. Not because of what she said but because she knew they made her think that way. She knows it very well because she was told the same thing back then by the same man who made her.

 

They stayed in the room for a while. Dr. Kang insisted on showing his creation’s ability to her biological daughter. Hyewon then finally understood how her friends lost their power. They got their blood samples studied before extracting them and transferring them to the new mutant. Other than the two familiar abilities, Hyewon also saw the similar abilities the mutant has with Suhyun. Before she could ask the doctor her question, he spoke, “I’ve tried compromising your blood numerous times in hope that her body will accept it but nothing worked. Her body keeps rejecting your DNA. That’s why she doesn’t have your powers.”

 

“Oh…” Hyewon doesn’t know whether that’s a good thing or not. As far as Suhyun told her, she will soon unlock something stronger than any mutants combined. They still don’t know what is it but they knew it would be dangerous for everyone. Even for her.

 

“Dr. Kang, Suhyun is here. Should we send her down here or have her waiting at your office?” Hyewon heard from the walkie-talkie.

 

“Send her to my office. We’re coming up,” the doctor replied. “Uno, we’re going now. We’ll see you tomorrow,” the doctor walks to the mutant and adoringly pats her head like a pet.

 

*****

“Why did you agree with him?” Suhyun hissed. She was pacing back and forth in Hyewon’s cell. Dr. Kang just dismissed them after talking about the details of their assassination.

 

“I don’t really much have a choice, do I?”

 

Suhyung stops pacing and sits at the end of the bed. She sighed, “What are you planning? You already have a plan on that pretty brain of yours, don’t you?"

 

“I’m pretty?” Suhyun rolled her eyes making Hyewon crack a laugh. “But yes, I do. We’ll kill her instead of the President. After saving him, we go after them and I mean every one of them. We’ll turn them over to the authority. How? I’m still figuring that out but our main goal is to eliminate her. They have her wrapped pretty good around their finger, if she’s gone then they’re done.”

 

“So, we’re doing a suicide mission… I’ll take it that you’ve seen her abilities. Hyewon, a reminder; she has a lot of powers compared to us.”

 

“Yeah, I know that but there’s two of us and one of her. We got this, Hyun. Plus, you said I’ll unlock something powerful crazy, right? That could help us too.”

 

Suhyun groaned and walk to the door, “You are really his kid. Both of you are crazy but under different circumstances. I’ll head out now, good night.”

 

“Good night, Hyun!”

 

Suhyun sighed as she walks to her room when she thought that her initial plan is officially no go. Hyewon’s plan was something, not good nor bad but something. She hopes it will work and the result would be something good.

 

Suhyun remembered the scene that flashed on her mind while on her way back to the lab. She saw a change and clearer view of Hyewon’s outburst and Eunbi was the trigger. She was the key to unlocking Hyewon’s new power and the key to world destruction as well. “I should talk to them again tomorrow. This won’t be good to them.” With a final sigh, Suhyun drifts to her sleep.