Our Visual Aid

One Day At A Time

Kong Xueer was looking at Yu Shuxin in disbelief. How someone could stare at their reflection for a long time and kept praising it. What's weird was, Yu Shuxin was talking to herself and laughing.

"Shuxin, you're scaring me," Kong Xueer remarked.

"Oho, how can I look so good?" Yu Shuxin looked at her compact mirror and winked at it.

"You've been here for a week now and you might have forgotten who's the queen here," Xu Jiaqi approached them, folding her arms, posing like a badass .

Kong Xueer rolled her eyes at Xu Jiaqi who was being extra. "Who are you fooling?"

"Hi, Kiki!" Yu Shuxin greeted. Xu Jiaqi wasn't far from their seat; she was sitting in their row beside Kong Xueer. She got bored and heard their conversation; she decided to join in since the class hasn't started yet.

"Was I not convincing?" Xu Jiaqi pouted.

"Not a bit," Kong Xueer replied as she beckoned Xu Jiaqi. "There's a white thingy on your hair, come closer." Xu Jiaqi complied.

"Shuxin, do you find me intimidating?" Xu Jiaqi beamed, expecting a yes answer.

"Done," Kong Xueer got rid of the white dirt on Xu Jiaqi's hair, and she thanked Xueer.

"You? Not a bit," Yu Shuxin closed her compact mirror and put it down. "But I find Aria scary," She told them; Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi gave her a quizzical look.

"How so?" Xu Jiaqi asked.

"Look," Yu Shuxin pointed at Aria Jin who was sleeping peacefully. "She always sleeps; does she have a chronic fatigue syndrome?"

"No... I don't really know."

"I don't think so?"

"Come to think of it, she always sleeps in class and the teachers don't really bother."

"Yeah, nobody bothered to ask also."

The three of them looked at Aria Jin in contemplation; they felt bad for her condition. Suddenly, Aria woke up from her slumber, yawning. She looked at her right side where Yu Shuxin, Kong Xueer, and Xu Jiaqi were staring at her.

"Yes?"

"Aria, I'm sorry to ask, do you suffer from chronic fatigue disorder?" Xu Jiaqi was concerned.

"A what?" Aria Jin sat straight while rubbing her eyes; it's her first time hearing that term.

"Chronic fatigue disorder, you always get tired for some reason, or your energy is easily drained," Yu Shuxin carefully explained to her.

"Oh," Aria Jin pursed her lips. "I always get up early, around 6 am to see the sunrise, and I have to put on masks and do foot spa and apply lotion, and stuff. Basically, I take care of my appearance because I have a part-time job as a model in a fashion magazine."

The information surprised them; they didn't know Aria Jin is a model. Sure, she was obviously an eye candy in their school. She's like the Chinese version of Aphrodite that came down to the mortal world, a beauty that is admired by everyone. If they would make a list of the most beautiful girls on their campus, Aria Jin would be on the list.

"Eh, how lucky," Yu Shuxin looked at Xu Jiaqi and Kong Xueer. "We have a classmate who works as a model."

Aria Jin shook her head, shy.

"When did you start working as a model for the magazine?" Kong Xueer asked.

"Since the first year of senior high school."

Yu Shuxin, Kong Xueer, and Xu Jiaqi's faces went 'oooh' from Aria Jin's information about herself. Especially, Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi, they've been classmates with her for three years, yet, this was there first time knowing more about her. Aria Jin was a quiet and timid girl in class, so nobody would have expected that she'd be working part-time as a model in a magazine.

The bell had rang; it was time for their math class. Everyone went back to their respective seats. Their math teacher came into their classroom and prepared the visual aids. He put the graph chart paperboard on the blackboard. The students had noticed it since the start of the school year. Every time their math teacher brings his visual aid for the class, it's either crumpled or torn. Overall, it's just displeasing to look at.

"Laoshi, why is that the paperboard was torn?" Kay Song asked. It notified everyone, they were also curious about the matter.

"Sorry, never mind the torn paperboard. Accidents happen," He laughed weakly.

"Like what?"

"I accidentally stepped on it," He replied nervously.