Back Off!

One Day At A Time

It was 3C's art class and they were currently in the art room. Their art teacher instructed them to make a collage of the social issues happening in the world. The art teacher assigned them by groups of five members each. It was a shuffled group so that they could work with their other classmates rather than working with the same people.

The teacher announced the members of each group.

Group 1:
- Dai Meng
- Su Shanshan
- Han Dong
- classmate
- classmate

Group 2:
- Dai Yanni
- Zhao Xiaotang
- Ranee Wang
- classmate
- classmate

Group 3:
- Ma Shujun
- Lu Keran
- Inagaki Naho
- Jenny Zeng
- classmate

Group 4:
- Nai Wan
- Sun Rui
- Liu Yuxin
- classmate
- classmate

Group 5:
- Yuyan
- Bee Bee Huang
- Luna Qin
- Sun Meinan

Group 6:
- Lin Fan
- Xie Keyin
- Song Xinran
- classmate

When they went to their respective groups they talked about which social issues they will make as a collage. The teacher gave them old magazines that they could cut out, glue, markers, and pairs of scissors. She reminded them to be mindful of their trash when they finish making their collage.

Group 1 was talking about the social justice system in general. Dai Meng told them to cut pictures that represent justice. When they were looking for pictures in the magazine, Su Shanshan was singing a ballad song; she thought she was singing wonderfully. Nobody said a word since it would be quite mean if they would tell her to stop. But Dai Meng was irritated by Shanshan's awful voice. "Su Shanshan, has it ever occurred to you that most of the time we don't want to hear you sing?" She told her forthright that Shanshan kept shut. "That's better, thank you," Unknowingly, she hurt her feelings. Their group mates didn't pay attention to them as they were doing their tasks.

In group 2, Dai Yanni asked them what topic they would want to put in their collage.

"How about cultural appropriation?" Xiaotang suggested.

"Ooh, I think that's nice," Dai Yanni praised Xiaotang for that idea, but she needed to ask for more suggestions from her group mates. "Do you have more suggestions?" She looked at them.

"Trade war with the United States," Ranee Wang suggested.

"That's good too. Any more suggestions?" Dai Yanni asked; they didn't say anything.

"Let's do cultural appropriation because I have a lot to say to this one," Xiaotang looked at Dai Yanni.

"Then, would you be able to explain to the class?" Dai Yanni was concerned, she didn't want to endow the responsibility on someone that will just half- do it.

"Of course, I'll do the explanation," Xiaotang assured her group mates. She barely participates in class, but today was different, she just felt like doing her best.

"I swear if you're just going to jest in front..." Ranee commented, she knew Xiaotang. They've been classmates since the first year. Xiaotang sometimes lost her focus in class and fools around, especially to her. It seems like Xiaotang likes to poke fun of her and it's irritating most of the time.

"Don't worry. I'll do it. Have faith in me," Xiaotang told them. Her group mates agreed, so they could start doing it.

Dai Yanni instructed them to cut out pictures that represent cultures and they will just give the cut-outs later, so they can choose which to put in the collage. When Ranee was about to talk to Dai Yanni about something, Xiaotang inserted herself between them, then she opened the magazine to ask advice for a good image representation. Ranee rolled her eyes in annoyance.

Group 3 was sharing their ideas. They let Naho share her thoughts first since she barely talks in class because of the language barrier. They thought it would be nice to give her the floor to talk, so she could also practice her Chinese. Naho suggested about the growing foreigner population in Beijing. They think it was a good topic; they started to look for pictures in the magazine that are related to their idea. God knows what came into Lu Keran's mind that she snipped an inch length of Ma Shujun's hair. Ma Shujun was startled when she heard the snipping sound. She checked her hair which lost an inch and looked at Lu Keran who was playing with the scissors, smiling. Ma Shujun takes care of her hair very much. And for someone who's dumb as Lu Keran will just cut it is just insane and unforgivable. Furious, Ma Shujun grabbed the thickest magazine and hit Lu Keran on the head. She cussed at Lu Keran for having a pea brain for doing it. Jenny was laughing out loud when she saw the whole scene. Lu Keran didn't retaliate because she knew she was at fault.

Group 4 was peacefully cutting out pictures on the magazine while Sunrui was telling a story about Duang Duang, her pet cat; she told them she spoils her cat a lot, that's why he is fat and she never makes Duang Duang exercise. She admitted that it was her fault.

In group 5 Sun Meinan and Luna Qin were busy looking for pictures in the magazine, Bee Bee Huang was skimming through the women's fashion magazine. While on the other hand, Yuyan, who was supposedly in their group, helping them with their collage, was in group 6. Apparently, they were fooling around looking at the women's magazine. Xie Keyin who was flipping the pages saw a cardboard sample of a sanitary napkin; she laughed as she showed it to Lin Fan and Yuyan who was also laughing at it.

"You guys, stop fooling around and help us find pictures for our topic," Xinran warned her groupmates but they didn't listen to her. She saw what they were laughing about and thought it was so childish. "Why are you laughing over that? As if you don't have s," She rolled her eyes as she continued looking for pictures with the other classmate.

The three didn't pay attention to Xinran and continued their monkey business. Xie Keyin took off the cardboard sample of the sanitary napkin and gave it to Yuyan. Something popped in Yuyan's diabolical mind that she asked a black and red marker from Lin Fan and the latter handed it to her. Yuyan colored the sample cardboard sanitary napkin with red as if it was blood and wrote, BACK OFF! MENSTRUAL PERIOD.

Xiaotang was roaming around looking at everyone's work. She stopped at group 6's place, curious about what Yuyan was doing. She looked at the cardboard sanitary napkin that Yuyan was writing. "I think it needs more red color on this side," Xiaotang pointed, Yuyan followed her advice. And then she went back to her group where her group mates were busy putting the pictures together.

"Where were you? We've been working our asses off," Ranee said it in an irritated tone.

"None of your business," Xiaotang replied in a mocking tone.

It's quite annoying that they were doing their task and one of the members is busy doing something else. "Xiaotang, please stop roaming around and help us," Dai Yanni ordered her; Xiaotang complied.

Meanwhile, on group 6's turf. When Lin Fan asked what Yuyan was going to do with the cardboard, Yuyan didn't answer, she was busy putting double-sided tapes on the cardboard sanitary napkin, and went to group 3's place where Jenny Zeng was. Lin Fan and Xie Keyin were curious about what Yuyan was going to do next, so they just watched her. When Jenny was standing to get something in the art supplies, Yuyan stealthily stuck the cardboard at the back of her skirt. Then, she went back to her group, pretending to help, but her eyes were on Jenny.

When Jenny was finished getting some art materials, she went back to her seat. Her classmates noticed something in her back and started laughing. The teacher wondered what the fuss was about. Even Jenny was oblivious to why her classmates were laughing about it. The good Japanese samaritan, Naho, pointed to the fake blooded cardboard sanitary napkin that was on her back. She took it off and asked Naho if she knew who stuck it there. Naho shrugged because she didn't know. Their teacher approached her and was concerned about the matter. She didn't like what she saw. The teacher asked who was responsible for doing it. But Jenny had her suspicions, she glared at Yuyan who was making a poker face, pretending she wasn't the culprit. She didn't mind it because she's used to Yuyan's childish schemes. She told the teacher it wasn't a big deal, but the teacher was serious about it. She said she condemned bullying because she was bullied before in high school. So, it was a serious matter for her. She was angry and told her students she won't stop pressing the matter if nobody would come forward to admit their mistakes and say sorry to Jenny in front of everyone. Their classmates chided to go forward to resolve it. Yuyan stood up voluntarily.

"Yuyan?" The teacher made sure if she was the only one involved.

Then Xinran gave more names of students who were involved in the mischievous act. "Xie Keyin, Lin Fan..." The two were startled and slowly stood up, they weren't the one doing it, still, they were accomplices. "And Zhao Xiaotang," She said finally.

When Xiaotang heard her name, she was startled. She didn't even help Yuyan nor she had any idea what Yuyan was up to. She was innocent.

"Dà!" Ranee Wang scoffed as she heard Xiaotang's name. She felt it was karma for Xiaotang for being pesky.

"Aiyamaya, Zhao Xiaotang," Sunrui commented when she heard her friend's name.

"Why am I not surprised?" Dai Meng chortled as she shook her head.

"Imagine if you're with them, for sure, for sure..." Ma Shujun whispered to Lu Keran if she was with her close friends; Lu Keran would also get into trouble.

"I was going to check on them, thank god I didn't," She replied.

Dai Yanni looked at Xiaotang, she furrowed her brows. "I told you not to roam around, what did you do?" She scolded her.

Xiaotang stood up and reasoned with her teacher. "Laoshi, I just stood up to look, I didn't do anything."

"A person who turns a blind eye is as bad as the wrongdoer," The teacher told Xiaotang who was pursing her lips, she didn't say another word and just accepted the outcome.

Yuyan, Lu Keran, Xie Keyin, and Xiaotang were told to stand up and spread their arms while holding the empty buckets for the whole art class as a punishment. While the whole class continues doing their activity.