Homo Sapiens

One Day At A Time

Xiaotang slid the door and entered the 3A's classroom to return the science book that she borrowed from Kong Xueer.

Bunny Zhang who was sitting at the back row greeted her. "Hello, Xiaotang! What brings you here?"

Xiaotang patted her head gently. "Hello, Chuhan. I just wanna return Xueer's science book. Where is she sitting?" She asked.

Bunny Zhang pointed at where was Yu Shuxin sitting. "There, next to Yu Shuxin."

Xiaotang glanced at Yu Shuxin who was reading a book. Duan Xiaowei saw Xiaotang, she called her name and ran towards her. "Zhao Xiaotang!" She jumped into Xiaotang's arms and Xiaotang lifted her and turned her around like lovers who haven't seen each other for a long time.

"Wow, you're light. Have you been starving yourself recently?" Xiaotang commented, then she put Duan Xiaowei down.

Some students in the room were looking at them but they didn't mind at all.

"What brings you here?" Duan Xiaowei asked.

"I'm returning Xueer's book."

"Her seat is beside Yu Shuxin," She pointed the direction, same as where Bunny Zhang pointed.

"Where are you going?" Xiaotang asked.

"Toilet," Duan Xiaowei answered and went out of the classroom.

Xiaotang approached Kong Xueer's seat and returned her science book inside the desk. Yu Shuxin stopped reading the book and looked at Xiaotang. The latter noticed that she was being watched, she caught Yu Shuxin's eyes.

"Hello," Yu Shuxin greeted first.

"Hello," Xiaotang greeted back. "Can you tell Xueer that I returned her science book?" She asked.

"Sure, will do."

It was a little awkward, neither of them knows what to say to each other but they felt the compliance to say something even though they don't need to.

"Hi, I'm Yu Shuxin. I'm the new student." She introduced herself and forwarded her hand.

"Yeah, I've heard," Xiaotang reciprocated the handshake. "Zhao Xiaotang," She introduced herself.

They smiled at each other. Both of them didn't break eye contact. Until it felt like the looks were lingering that they have to break it off.

Xiaotang felt that she was compelled to say something afterward. "Do you know where's Xueer?"

"She went to the faculty with Kiki," Yu Shuxin answered.

If where Kong Xueer is, Xu Jiaqi follows, and that goes the same as the other way. They were like two peas in a pod, best friends that are inseparable. They've known each other since they were in the first year of junior high school. And they decided to go to the same school in senior high school, so they won't be separated from each other, best friends forever, well, that's what everyone thought. They don't know that they are in a relationship. Nobody knows the real deal between the two shared. They make sure that they were careful at school.

"Just tell her I came to return the book."

"Sure," Yu Shuxin replied. She looked at Xiaotang leaving.

When Xiaotang pass by the back, she called Feng Rouhang who was chatting with Zuo Zhuo. "Rouhang!"

"What?"

"Bee Bee sent her regards!" She laughed and left the classroom. Feng Rouhang and Bee Bee Huang had something before, they were chatting, and for some reason, their chatting stopped. Rouhang rolled her eyes at Xiaotang's absurdity.

"Oh my god, did you had a thing with Bee Bee Huang?" Zuo Zhuo asked curiously. It wasn't news that girls in an all-girls school would date the tomboys.

"Of course, not! I already have a boyfriend," Rouhang denied. "We were chatting before but I didn't give her a chance."

"Not even a bit of curiosity?" Zuo Zhuo teased.

"No! I'm not into that. No offense," Rouhang told Zuo Zhuo since she had an experience before. She knew her friend dated Lu Keran before. "Who am I to judge?"

"It's ok," Zuo Zhuo thought that it was a normal thing in their school since there weren't any boys, and the closest to a boy is dating a tomboy.

"I just realized there are a lot of tomboys in our year, especially 3C."

Zuo Zhuo laughed at Rouhang's statement, she missed noticing that 3C class has a lot of tomboys. She could even name the list. "Let's be clear, by tomboy, do you mean the way they act and look? Because you can look tomboy but still prefer boys."

Feng Rouhang didn't know that, it was new information for her. "I mean tomboys like Lu Keran."

"We call them butch, short hair, wears androgynous clothing and only attracted to girls."

"Like Lu Keran, Lin Fan, Bee Bee Huang, and Liu Yuxin?"

"Yup!"

"How about Xiaotang? I heard she's also... you know? The way she walks too is tomboyish."

"I think she falls in the futch category, " Zuo Zhuo said.

"What's a futch?" Rouhang asked quizzically.

"Futch is between femme and butch. Femme is the girly type, but Xiaotang isn't all girly, she has her boyish side. So, I put her in that category."

"There's a lot of futch here. I mean we can be a futch!"

"Don't be mistaken for how they look. Remember, some girls are very feminine but are only attracted to feminine girls like them." Zuo Zhuo informed her.

Rouhang was just amazed by Zuo Zhuo's knowledge about the lesbian community. She only knows of tomboys but not the existence of the femmes. She didn't know that tomboy just exhibits the behavior of a boy and wears androgynous clothing but it doesn't automatically mean they like girls. It's different from uality. uality is the ual feelings, thoughts, and attraction to a person. She realized that the scale is vast and humans are complex.

"If given a chance, who are you attracted to? Don't worry no judgment," Zuo Zhuo assured her.

"I'd say..." Rouhang rubbed her chin, thinking. "Xiaotang?"

"Xiaotang?" Zuo Zhou nodded. "Interesting. I mean, I'm not surprised. I think some girls here have a crush on her."

"But her looks are intimidating though."

"But most girls would go for Liu Yuxin type."

"I like Liu Yuxin's personality. She takes care of other people. I wonder who's she's dating." Rouhang wondered.

Zuo Zhuo leaned near to her. "Don't tell anyone, ok?" Rouhang nodded. "Joey," She lowered her voice.

Rouhang was surprised. "Joey Chua?!"

"Lower your voice!" Zuo Zhuo chided her.

"Isn't Joey Chua straight? I heard she has a boyfriend." Rouhang lowered her voice.

"LOL, boyfriend my . She's been dating Liu Yuxin for two years. They kept it a secret. Apparently, Joey's family is homophobic."

"Oh my god, I'm just amazed how you got the tea."

"I may have small eyes but my ears are as big as Dumbo," Zuo Zhuo joked and both of them laughed.

"You said there are a lot of tomboys in 3C, are they all, you know, do they like girls or are they dating someone?" Rouhang was curious.

"Yuyan, for sure, also, she's my type." Zuo Zhuo giggled at the thought of Yuyan. "I don't think she's currently dating anyone..." She wasn't sure of what she said.

Despite Yuyan's calm yet loud personality, overall crazy, she has a strong appeal that pulls the girls. She can be cool and slick at times.

Rouhang was guessing more people who act boyish. "How about Sunrui, is she..?"

"Good guess. Yes, she is. But I just don't know who she dated and currently dating," She paused. "Who  else do you think?"

"Let's see," Rouhang counted her fingers. "So we have, Bee Bee, Lin Fan, Liu Yuxin, Lu Keran, Sunrui, Xiaotang...Is Xiaotang included?"

"I'm not sure, maybe?" Zuo Zhuo answered uncertainly.

"And, Dai Meng?"

"Dai Meng?" Zuo Zhuo repeated.

"Isn't... She?" Rouhang raised her brow. "I don't know, it's just a guess," She shrugged.

"Maybe? To be honest, I'm not sure but she gives off a strong lesbian vibe though," Zuo Zhuo leaned back to ponder. Dai Meng was a tough one to guess. She hasn't heard any gay rumor about her. Or maybe Dai Meng wasn't just interested in dating anyone.