Secondhand Embarrassment

One Day At A Time

A wonderful day at Qingchun Youni Academy and the students were very excited to hear the singing competition, well, except for the class 3C; they knew they would rank last. The student council officers were busy checking the microphones, lights, speakers, and other stuff for the event in the gymnasium. The stage was decorated with a cool musical techno layout. There's a keyboard, a set of drums, electric guitar, and other instruments on stage were being readied. Not only it was a singing competition but their school's band will also be playing music and other performances. The participants were practicing their vocals backstage; it would be a lie if they would say that they weren't nervous. The school invited a major in music juror to judge for the competition. The faculty staff just let their students do their responsibilities; it's also a way of teaching them how to handle things on their own. They will just step in if there is a big problem.

The school council vice president, Roada Xu, instructed all the classroom presidents and vice presidents to tell their classmates to sit according to seat number. The class 3A was easy to handle, they easily complied with the instructions given.

"Wow~" Yu Shuxin exclaimed when she sat down, it was her first time experiencing the school's event, she was hands down to the extravagant decoration on the stage. It was like watching a real live concert in a small arena.

Since Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi were far from each other, Xueer used her charm and talked to her classmate to change seats with her. With the power of her glamour, she was able to persuade her classmate. Xu Jiaqi was surprised when Kong Xueer sat beside her, Xueer winked at her. Xu Jiaqi was a little nervous if anyone had seen it. This time, the seats were very close to each other compared to the desk in their classrooms; they were one-arm apart from each other.

On the other hand, in class 3B. "WHAT THE HELL?!" Gogo was so stressed in compelling her classmates to sit according to seat number because they'd like to sit with their group of friends. "FINE! SIT WHERE EVER YOU WANNA SIT!" Her forehead had formed wrinkles; it was already a bad sign. "I'm still 17 but I think I'm in my 30s," She breathed heavily.

The Douyin Girls, Eliwa Xu, Tako Zhang, Mo Han, Duan Yixuan, and Fei Qinyuan sat together in one row. The Shen Quadruplets sat behind the Douyin girls' row. While their other classmates complied with the rule but others weren't on their seat number, they sat on what seats were vacant; they don't care anymore.

As for the 3C class, since Dai Yanni was busy preparing for the event, Song Xinran was there to fill in the duty. Xinran knew her classmates wouldn't abide by the seat number rule, so she just let them sit wherever they want. It was peaceful and she avoided the stress that could have caused her if she didn't let them do what they like. Therefore, Song Xinran is pretty because of being stress-free.

The emcee ordered all the students to keep quiet as everyone was compelled to stand up to sing their national anthem and their school's anthem. After the opening ceremony, they were told to sit down. The principal, the vice-principal, and the student council president made a short speech before they could finally start the event. When the main lights were off and only the spotlights were lit on the stage, Xu Jiaqi held Kong Xueer's left hand. Since Xu Jiaqi couldn't say it to her, she traced Chinese characters onto Xueer's palm saying, 'I love you'. When Kong Xueer understood it, she badly wanted to kiss her girlfriend but she couldn't, instead, she formed a heart finger and kissed it, and put her heart finger to Kiki's lips. The gesture made her feel butterflies in her stomach; she smiled widely. Both of them looked at the first contestant who was singing on stage.

Kong Xueer doesn't want to let go of Xu Jiaqi's hand, she held her hands tightly.

The contestants of all the sections from first-year to second-year had finished presenting, their vocals were impressive. It was a difficult battle because all of the contestants were amazing. When it was the third-years' turn, their classmates were cheering loudly for their aces. Even the 3C knows they are going to lose, they still cheered like Su Shanshan was going to crush the stage.

Literally.

Xu Xinwen sang 'The Sun'; her vocals were something else that it blew everyone, especially the judge of the singing competition. When she finished singing the song, everyone was in a standing ovation. Xu Xinwen's vocal is no joke, she can shine if she wants to be a solo singer in the future.

Next, it was 3B's turn, Zhang Yu sang her own composed song, 'Love, Seed, Flower'; everyone closed their eyes to listen to her calming voice. Zhang Yu's vocal is so soothing that it can remove the stress. And after singing it,  everyone wasn't even finished applauding for her, she bowed and ran to the backstage immediately.

This time, it was 3C's turn, Su Shanshan. Their classmates were already covering their faces and readied themselves from the embarrassment.

"SU SHANSHAN!!!!" Yuyan shouted to boost the morale of their class. "SU SHANSHAN! SU SHANSHAN! SU SHANSHAN!"

"SU SHANSHAN! JIAYOU!" Xiaotang cheered, she must cheer for her since she's the one who voted for her to join. It would be an embarrassment if she doesn't root for her. It was her fault, to begin with.

"AIR SU! AIR SU! AIR SU!"

"RAWWWWRRR!!!" Bee Bee Huang shouted and got hit by Dai Meng when she did that. "AW!" She cried in pain.

"Shut up! It's starting!" Dai Meng chided.

It would be a lie if the third-year students weren't nervous about Su Shanshan. They knew she sings badly, but her dimwitted good for nothing classmates knew it and still voted for her to join the competition. It wasn't the issue that she joined, the issue was, all of the contestants were such good vocals that she will be humiliated in front of everyone. It'll be a secondhand embarrassment for third-year students.

Everyone kept quiet when the spotlights shone on Shanshan who stood in front of all the students. She was nervous, it was silent and she could only hear coughing and murmuring. When the instrumental of the song started, she clenched her hands and started to sing the song. The intro was just ok but when it was on a little higher note she got off tune. She might not notice it or see the audience clearly but they had a sour expression on their faces. Her classmates closed their eyes, some were slouching back, and some covered their ears because of the secondhand embarrassment.

It was obvious that everyone wasn't interested and just started murmuring because of Su Shanshan's performance that Shanshan herself could hear their murmurs. She stopped singing in embarrassment and started shaking; her tears trickled down from her cheeks. It was a mistake for thinking she could do it since it was her dream to sing on stage. She regretted joining the competition. It was a bad idea after all. She thought she should have listened to her classmates who chided her on the voting day. She thought it was a punishment for being so stubborn and a damn fool for believing in herself.

Her classmates noticed it and felt bad for her.

Dai Meng had enough of the chagrin, she felt sorry for her. This is why she keeps telling her the truth that she really at singing to save herself from the humiliation. She ran to the stage and grabbed the microphone from the student council officer.
"Operator, time out, time out," She gestured the time out sign.

Su Shanshan was baffled why Dai Meng was there on the stage. She stood there, confused about the situation.

"Where are my homies at? Come here you rascals!" She called her friends to be on stage with them. Xiaotang, Lu Keran, Sunrui, and Lin Fan ran to the stage. Dai Meng told them if they know how to play some instruments to make the show lively.

There were instruments available and ready to be used. Xiaotang said she can play the keyboard, Lu Keran sat on the stool on the drum set, and Lin Fan slung the electric guitar on her shoulder. Sunrui doesn't know how to play any musical instruments, so she picked up the tambourine; it was the easiest one even though she'll be offbeat.

Everyone was wondering as the murmuring continued.

Dai Yanni was thankful that her classmates have the initiative to help Su Shanshan.

The juror was wondering but didn't comment; he wanted to see where it goes.

Even though they were blockheads and chaotic, at least they have thought of Su Shanshan's feelings. Their class advisor watched the situation and she was happy to see that her students were helping each other.

"Stop crying and let's do this," Dai Meng wiped Shanshan's tear. "It's the same song, so follow my lead."

Su Shanshan nodded and wiped her tears.

Dai Meng looked at her friends. "Same music, ok?"

They nodded; they already know the chords since the song is popular.

When Lu Keran started to hit the beat on the drums, it was the cue to start playing the music.

Dai Meng sang first so Shanshan could follow the tune. Originally, the song Shanshan sang was slow in tempo, but they changed it to rock to make it fun.

Yuyan encouraged the third-year students to sing along with them.

Even Xu Xinwen and Zhang Yu who were at the backstage, they ran as soon as they heard of the situation and went in front to sing along with them. Zhang Yu sang while Xu Xinwen was doing the second voice.

Even though Shanshan had a bad start to the competition, her classmates came to the rescue to save her from the embarrassment. They didn't care anymore if they will be in the last place. The memory of it is the most important thing that they could cherish.

After their performance, everyone applauded for them. The third-year students were the most boisterous when cheering. It was their pride that was at stake.

Su Shanshan was thankful to her classmates for helping her from the catastrophe. That moment, she saw Dai Meng in a different light. She thought Dai Meng was just being mean to her all the time. Maybe, she just cared for Shanshan's sake, that's why she's being straightforward telling her that she sings like a cow. Shanshan wanted to talk to Dai Meng to thank her personally but it wasn't the right time.

The competition has ended and it was time for the judge to announce the winner.

The third placer was 2B, 2nd placer was 3B, and the winner was 3A, Xu Xinwen; everyone made a big round of applause to the contestants who received the award. Everyone was enjoying the show, especially the 3C's performance. Of course, they ranked in the last place but it was the highlight of the competition. When the juror finished announcing the winners, he left the gymnasium. So, the student council officers gave the students a 10-minute toilet break before they could start the next performance.

And when the 10-minute toilet break was over, they called the students to come back to the gymnasium.

This time, it was time for the school's band to perform on the stage. Everyone has settled down on their seats as they waited for the show to start.