How Do You Eat...

One Day At A Time

The class just finished, it was lunchtime for the high school students. Sunrui and Xiaotang immediately ran to the cafeteria like it was a marathon. Students were looking at them, either judging or wondering, but they can't be bothered as they have a mission to accomplish. They ordered food and sat on the long cafeteria table, sitting across from each other. Sunrui and Xiaotang ate like they were in an eating contest. They didn't have the time to chew their food and it would be dangerous, they might choke.

The girl who just arrived at their table was baffled, looking at the two who look like hungry hyenas." What had gotten into you two?" Kong Xueer asked, she couldn't comprehend the two's actions; she sat beside Xiaotang.

"I dared them, look how pity they look." Dai Meng laughed as she sat beside Sunrui.

Sunrui and Xiaotang stopped eating and looked at her, realizing that their efforts were in vain. They immediately hit her, figuring that they were fools to trust Dai Meng.

"Aiyama, I haven't run fast in all of my seventeen years of existence," Sunrui said.

"So, you're telling me we ran for nothing?" Xiaotang clarified, her tone was obviously pissed.

"Yeah, I just said who can run and eat faster. I don't know what had gotten into you two." Dai Meng's words pierced through their minds. "I didn't even say winner gets something, did I?" She raised her brows, thinking, her friends are dumb.

Xiaotangand Sunrui returned to their seats and ate their lunch properly. They felt lost from a game that doesn't even exist. Xiaotang felt like her soul left her body, she didn't even have the chance to taste the food, neither was Sunrui.

Kong Xueer pitied the two, so she gave her Tonkatsu." Here, split in half. I'm on a diet anyway," Xueer said.

"Are you sure?" Sunrui asked.

Kong Xueer nodded as the two split the Tonkatsu in half.

"Thanks, baobei, you're the best!" Xiaotang grinned as she took her half of the Tonkatsu.

"Oh, how unusual, where's Kiki?" Dai Meng asked.

"She's absent today," Xueer answered.

"Why? What happened to her?" Xiaotang asked.

"Sick, I guess?" Xueer shrugged.

Eliwa passed by them. "Hi girls!" Xiaotang, Sunrui, Xueer, Daimeng greeted her back.

"What's all with the fuzz?" Eliwa was curious, she could hear them bickering even from afar.

"Eliwa, don't ask. You'll make them embarrassed." Kong Xueer told her.

"Ok. I won't ask." Eliwa didn't pry, she knew it was something stupid again. So, she walked away going to the other table where her friends were seating.

What's new around Xiaotang and Sunrui? They usually get into trouble. Not just even them, but their class often gets into trouble. Even the teachers have a hard time controlling their behavior. It's not that they have bad attitudes, they were just dumbly chaotic.

When Dai Meng was finished eating her lunch. A sudden question just jumped out of her mind. She felt she needed to ask for an opinion, who knows what. "I have a question for you all." Everyone looked at her as they were still eating. "How do you eat the Chocolate Cornets? Do you eat from its top-opening or do you eat it from its bottom first?"

Everyone was visualizing and remembering how they usually eat it.

But then, Xiaotang asked. "What's a chocolate cornet?"

"You haven't eaten chocolate cornets?" Sunrui asked.

"Would I ask if I have?"

"Zhao Xiaotang, don't tell me, you can afford expensive luxury but you haven't eaten chocolate cornets before? They even sell that at the street market." Dai Meng retorted.

"That's why I'm asking." Xiaotang furrowed her brows.

"It's a kind of bread which is a cone-shaped bun filled with chocolates." Kong Xueer answered Xiaotang's question.

"Thank you Xueer," She looked at her and then to them with a mocking tone. "See? It wasn't that hard to answer." She gestured.

"Too much talking, just answer my question." Dai Meng retaliated.

"If you're a sane person, you would eat the top-opening," Xueer answered like it was a fact; she thought it was the normal way of eating it. What were her friends thinking?

"Then, I'm not normal, is that what you're implying?" Sunrui questioned Kong Xueer's logic.

"I didn't say you're abnormal," She paused. "Then, how do you eat yours?"

"I eat at the bottom."

Dai Meng didn't reply; she just let the two argue which part should be eaten first; she found them amusing. While Xiaotang just listened to them.

"Then, the bottom part would leak." 

"Yeah, but I the chocolate when it oozes."

"Sunrui, I want to be frank with you. I can't understand your logic." Kong Xueer countered her ridiculousness.

"Yeah, why would you eat at the bottom when you know it will leak and it will create a mess?" Dai Meng wasn't able to refrain herself and joined in, Sunrui's logic baffled her.

"Aiayamaya, Dai Meng, you asked us how we eat it, I answered. And now you questioned why I would eat the bottom first." Sunrui paused and looked at all of them. "It's because I like it that way. Do I really have a deep and reasonable answer for it?" Then she looked at Xiaotang who was just listening. "Zhao Xiaotang, how about you? How would you eat the chocolate cornets?"

Since Kong Xueer and Sunrui answered differently, she wanted her answer to be unique. "I eat at the side."

"Aiyamaya!"

"I need to go to the comfort room and fix my hair."

"I shouldn't have asked you the question."

Sunrui, Kong Xueer, and Dai Meng stood up to put their trays on the leftover counter. They already had enough listening to the bull talk Xiaotang spouted. Clearly, the rich girl doesn't know what she was talking about. "HEY! Where are you all going?!" Xiaotang scoffed as her friends fled from their table. She looked at the next table across her. There, she saw that certain someone, still, she has a special affinity for her. Xiaotang wanted to initiate rekindling their friendship but she couldn't reach her; they were close to each other yet so far away. Every time she looks at her, the regrets consumes her. She decided to stand up and put her tray on the leftover counter.