The Quadruplets

One Day At A Time

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. Where the alpha wolf goes, the pack follows." — This is the motto of the Shen Squad.

The Shen sisters are well-known because they are the only quadruplets in their school. It's quite rare to know someone who has a twin, moreover a quadruplet.

They arrived at the school, walking together like they were the badass b*tches in school. They feel like they were the prettiest students on the campus, despite having a standard face. Their confidence is just off the roof that even Aria Jin or Joe Chua couldn't compete with it.

Why is that most of the beautiful people are modest of their appearance but the so-so ones, or mostly, the least blessed by good genes are the ones who are conceited of their beauty?

This needs to be studied by psychologists, Dai Meng thought while she was drinking milk, watching the quadruplets passing by the corridor; she was waiting for her friends to arrive, she couldn't help herself from judging the quadruplets because they are annoying.

One of the quadruplets bumped a first-year student, she wasn't being apologetic, and she even glared at the student for being clumsy. She told her sisters that the first-year student was blind for not watching her way.

Clearly, it was their fault because they are consuming the space in the corridor by walking together in a horizontal line like they own the school.

When they arrived at their classroom, Kuliko Shen greeted the quadruplets with a pleasant morning. They greeted her back and smiled at her, and by the time Kuliko went away to get something, they rolled their eyes.

"Did you see her lipstick? Red doesn't suit her, she looks like a call girl," Qing told her sisters, gesturing a whisper.

"There was a lipstick stain on her teeth," Yu pointed to her teeth.

"Jiejie, her large spectacles don't suit her to be honest," Jie told them, rolling her eyes.

"Did she think her pigtails make her look cute? Hahaha!" Bing said that made her sisters laugh as they were talking behind Kuliko's back; and when the bell rang, they sat properly and readied themselves for the first period of class.

During the all-third-years' free time, they were told to go to the library to search for something and make a report about it. When they were in the school library, they sat in the middle area which was their favorite spot for them to observe everyone.

They started gossiping as soon as someone caught their attention. "Look, look, Dai Yanni and Zhao Xiaotang," Bing told her sisters as they looked at them.

Xiaotang sat beside Dai Yanni who was doing the task. Xiaotang asked her to help her with their seatwork.

"Ew, she really is pretentious, trying to be friends with Zhao Xiaotang."

"They said Dai Yanni is pretty and sophisticated. Yeah right, sophisticated my a$$."

"I heard Dai Yanni's family isn't rich."

"I heard her parents work for Xiaotang's dad."

"Oh really?"

"Like what job?"

"Janitor, perhaps?"

"She shouldn't be able to afford this private school."

"Sis, there's something we call a scholarship."

"So, basically Dai Yanni sticks to Xiaotang because of her fortune."

"What else could there be?"

They were chortling at the thought of Dai Yanni being a petty and pretentious person.

How could someone be so sure of what's going on behind the lives of other people? Sure, they are sisters, and the gossip only circulates around them. Still, it's not good talking behind other's backs, especially when you talk something ill about them. Their topic was a red flag.

The quadruplets didn't notice Dai Meng was behind them, listening to their gossip. She thought it was just petty gossip, so she let it slip away.

It was lunchtime and the students were making a line in the cafeteria. The quadruplets were in their usual spot in the middle area, so they'll have a good view of everyone.

"Jiejie, look at the Douyin Girls' table. Ugh!"

"Imagine without their queen Eliwa, they're nothing!"

"I know right?"

"I hate Eliwa, she's such a ."

"Duan Yixuan is just Eliwa's sidekick."

"I can't even feel Fei Qinyuan's presence. I told you, take out Eliwa, and they're nothing."

"Look at Mo Han. Observe her jewelry and the latest iPhone. I bet she has a sugar daddy."

"Where else would she get those items from?"

"She could have sold her liver in the black market," Yu joked.

"I doubt," Qing rolled her eyes.

"Look at Tako, she's so skinny. I bet if I kick her, she'd fly away,"

The sisters laughed as they continued gossiping about other people's lives.

After lunchtime, the quadruplets were having their leisure time gossiping in the students' lounge. They sat on the sofa where it was their favorite spot.

Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi sat on one of the four single-seated sofas that were facing each other around the coffee table that was in the center. They were using their phones, scrolling through their social media.

"Jiejie, look at Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi," Yu gestured at them by nodding her head pointing in their direction.

"Oh, the pretentious duo is here."

The four were looking at them, criticizing them.

"I bet if I'm going to slap Xu Jiaqi, her foundation will fall off her face," Jie said; her sisters couldn't stop laughing.

"Sister, that's mean.." One of the sisters chided but she couldn't stop laughing.

"I wonder how she looks if I take that thick foundation off her."

"I bet she looks like a chupacabra."

"Jiejie, that's harsh!" Qing playfully hit Bing on the arm, laughing.

Kong Xueer sensed that they were being watched, she looked at them, observing.

One of the quadruplets warned her sisters not to look at Kong Xueer because the latter was looking at them. "Sis, don't look. Kong Xueer is looking, she's looking here."

Kong Xueer knew they were being talked about by the quadruplets, so she stood up and told Xu Jiaqi to go to their classroom instead.

As soon as the two best friends were gone, Yu told her sisters that it was safe to look.

"Honestly, I don't like Kong Xueer. I think she's pretending to be kind. I bet she made Xu Jiaqi her personal maid."

"I feel Xu Jiaqi sticks to Kong Xueer because of her popularity."

"If she keeps sticking with Kong Xueer, she'll look like her pet."

"True, true."

"Where the owner goes, the pet follows."

"Jiejie, do you think Kong Xueer is pretty?"

"Her beauty is just so-so. You can even find her face in the wet market."

"Actually, they're the same. They are just reliant on those BB creams and foundations. Take them off and let's see how they look."

"I bet they look like a donkey. Hahahaha!"

Behind the sofa not far from them, is another sofa, facing opposite to them, Yuyan was resting there. She didn't hear the whole conversation but she heard the last part. Her face turned sour when she heard them criticizing Xueer and Kiki. Were they not aware of their own faces that they looked like a mole rat? — Yuyan thought. She found their tittle-tattle petty; she didn't mind them and went back to sleep.

Later that day, in the gymnasium, When everyone was arranging the seats because they will have a meeting for the whole third-year students, Xiaotang, Sunrui, Dai Meng, Bee Bee Huang, Lin Fan, Lu Keran, Yuyan, and Xie Keyin were still playing basketball on the side court. They didn't help their classmates set the seats. Dai Yanni and Roada Xu were calling their attention to stop playing and help them, but they didn't pay attention. So, Dai Yanni walked to them to scold them. When Bee Bee made a three-point shot, she failed, it didn't go right into the ring; it hit the hoop. The ball bounced to where Dai Yanni was; she squealed when the ball was about to hit her. In reflex, Xiaotang immediately slammed the ball away to avoid it from hitting Dai Yanni; hurling to where the quadruplets were setting the chairs. They shouted in surprise when the ball almost hit them. "KYAAAA!!"

Xiaotang, Sunrui, Dai Meng, Bee Bee Huang, Lin Fan, Lu Keran, Yuyan, and Xie Keyin were laughing at the incident, howling as if they were teasing them.

"HEY! BE CAREFUL!" Shen Bing shouted at Xiaotang and her friends, pissed at them for playing recklessly.

Everyone was looking at them, curious about the commotion.

"Zhao Xioatang, you should have slammed the ball to them," Dai Meng remarked.

When Xiaotang was about to reply, Dai Yanni cleared as she glared at her. "Please don't make me repeat it," She pointed to the chairs that needed to be arranged.

Xiaotang called her troops to help the others. When they walked past Dai Yanni, Sunrui, who was the last person to walk, . "Dai Yanni, Xiaotang is so quick to save you huh," Dai Yanni didn't reply; she just rolled her eyes in reaction.

After everyone finished setting the chairs, they settled down and started the meeting. They talked about the upcoming events of their school, their behavior in class which everyone's eyes pinned on the class 3C, the students from 3A and 3B were chiding them for being chaotic in class; and other important reminders to be discussed.

Dai Yanni and Roada Xu asked the representatives of each class to give back the papers to the students. Since Kay Song was absent, Yu Shuxin was kind enough to volunteer to do the job for class 3A. She gave the papers back and for some reason, a paper from class B was mixed in with theirs. She read the name but she wasn't familiar with the person, so she called the name loudly. "Shen Qing?" She paused, making sure that she read the name properly. "Shen Qing from class B," She announced.

Nobody raised a hand even though her voice was loud enough. Yu Shuxin approached Eliwa who was in the first row; she asked her who Shen Qing is.

"Do you see that frog-looking face in the fourth row?" Eliwa pointed out where Shen Qing was sitting.

"Huh? What frog?" Yu Shuxin's face was confused as she was looking at Eliwa's pointing direction.

"Them. The frog quadruplets. The one who looks like a bullfrog is Shen Qing," She pointed again. "Well, actually, they all look like a bullfrog," Eliwa laughed at her own description.

Tako was sitting next to Eliwa, she chortled when she heard how Eliwa described the quadruplets. It was mean but it was funny.

Yu Shuxin didn't know whether to laugh at the offensive description but she just pursed her lips to keep herself from laughing. "Thank you," She told Eliwa. Then, she approached the quadruplets who were sitting in the same row. "Who's Shen Qing?" She asked as she showed the paper to them.

The quadruplets looked at each other as if they were communicating in telepathy. "Take a guess," The quadruplets said in synchrony.

Yu Shuxin wasn't sure who was who, so she just guessed the third person, so she handed her the paper. "Wrong, guess again," The quadruplets looked at each other, laughing, amazed by their synchrony. They thought it might be the power of their quadruplet-connection.

"Eeeee, this is hard, I don't really know I just transferred a month ago, so I'm not really familiar with everyone yet," Yu Shuxin reasoned, she was pouting, she felt bad that she had offended the Shen sisters if she gets it wrong a second time.

"Well, it's your fault for not knowing everyone. You're the newbie here, so you better adjust to your new environment," Shen Bing who is the eldest of the quadruplets stood up to intimidate Yu Shuxin; she was taller than her.

Yu Shuxin was baffled; she doesn't know how to react to the sudden retort.

Suddenly someone grabbed the paper from Yu Shuxin and gave the paper to the first person sitting who was Shen Qing. "Why do you make such things complicated?" Xiaotang raised a brow. It was annoying to look at them harassing Yu Shuxin. She hated to see someone being ganged up.

"Zhao Xiaotang!" They were surprised.

"We're just playing around," Shen Yu reasoned, smiling, pretending like it was nothing.

"Next time when you pick on someone, play a fair fight, pick on a group, not a solo person," Xiaotang beckoned Yu Shuxin to walk away from the quadruplets who were silenced by her words. For some reason they are scared of Zhao Xiaotang, the latter was giving off an intimidating vibe.

"Thank you so much, Xiaotang. That was scary." She pressed the papers on her chest. "Eliwa was right; they really looked like frogs, mean frogs!" Yu Shuxin exclaimed, making comical expressions on her face which Xiaotang finds amusing to look at.

Xiaotang has never met anyone who talks like Yu Shuxin, she even laughed at Yu Shuxin's statement about the quadruplets. "Don't go near to those crazy frogs, they're bad news. Even the others don't like them very much," She advised Yu Shuxin.

"Ok, I'll keep that in mind," She told Xiaotang.

A second later, Xiaotang's attention was being called to return to her seat.

"Oof! I'm being scolded again," She scratched her head, annoyed.

"Xiaotang, thanks again," Yu Shuxin beamed from her kindness.

"Oh, don't mention it," Xiaotang turned around and walked away, leaving Yu Shuxin who was standing behind. She hasn't finished distributing the papers back to the owners. She was glad that Xiaotang helped her a while ago. It's not that she can't handle herself in front of the bullies, she just doesn't want to have a petty fight with them, given that she already had a fair share of trouble when they were in the art room last week for getting Xu Jiaqi's shoe off the roof. She thought Xiaotang was a nice and genuine person; she wanted to get closer to her as friends.