President's Cloak

One Day At A Time

In the student council room, the officers were busy filing late submission for the club applications and other stuff. It stresses them because they also have a deadline to catch up. The other officers already left because it was already 5:40 pm, it was time to home, but not for the school council president and vice president, they have a few paperwork left to finish. An underclassman from the photography club knocked on the door and entered the room to return the key; she put it on the key rack and signed on the paper to indicate that she put back the key to their club room. Then, she excused herself as she went out.

Roada Xu, the vice president, was making coffee and serving snacks for them. "Don't stress yourself," She gave a cup of coffee and a chocolate cornet to Dai Yanni.

"No, I'm not. This is normal," Dai Yanni received the coffee and sip it. She doesn't want to admit it but she is stressed out. How can she not be when she's doing double work as school council president and classroom president? She flipped the next page and read it before signing it.

"I don't wanna say this but I'm going to say this," She paused and read Dai Yanni's reaction.

Dai Yanni stopped reading the file and looked at Roada Xu. "No, it's ok. Just speak what's in your mind," She said as she continued turning the pages of the file.

When Roada said the names, "Xiaotang, Lu Keran, Lin Fan, Sunrui, Dai Meng, Yuyan, and Xie Keyin." Dai Yanni twitched. "Wow, you really have a chaotic class. How does it feel surrounded by them?" Roada laughed in disbelief.

"Unbothered," Dai Yanni answered nonchalantly.

"I think it would be fun to have them in class," Roada sat down and eat her chocolate cornet.

Dai Yanni chortled at Roada's statement; truthfully, the latter doesn't know what it feels to be classmates with a bunch of morons in the class. She closes the folder and gets another folder from its stacks beside her. "Have you ever wondered why the visual aid in your math class is either crumpled or ruined?" She glanced at Roada who was sitting across her, typing on the laptop while eating the chocolate cornet.

"Yeah, now you've said it.."

"Do you know our math teacher has anger management issues?" Dai Yanni pointed her pen at Roada.

"He does?"

"Of course, you don't know about that because you haven't pushed the wrong button to trigger him. 3A is well behaved in class." She raised her brow and smiled.

"I can't say we are well behaved, I mean, there's Yu Shuxin who talks a lot in class. I think she can beat Eminem in a rap battle. There's our sleeping beauty, Aria Jin, she really amazes me. She can sleep anytime anywhere. There's Xu Xinwen, boisterous, even if she whispers you can hear her meters away. There's Zuo Zhuo who just sings high notes in the middle of the class. Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi always look at their appearance in their mirror even in class. Their mirror is as big as this laptop," Roada held the laptop to show the size. "They even keep comparing themselves who's the prettiest. Every after class, they keep going to the comfort room to check their appearances."

Dai Yanni stopped doing the paper works and leaned back, spinning her pen around her thumb cooly. "Wow."

"Right?"

"No, I mean, wow that's not even comparable even to 3B."

"Why?"

"Last time Gogo went here complaining about their class."

"Complaining about what?"

"How her class was so chaotic, she just went out to get the printouts for their seatwork and when she came back to their classroom, they were like Amazons in the jungle."

"That's harsh, you could be politically corrected by your words on the social media," Roada commented.

"Those are not my words, those were hers," Dai Yanni pointed herself as she shook her head. "She said when she came back, the classroom went wild, some were break dancing, someone was crying over a dead fish, bickering, and doing Douyin."

"Wow, how chaotic," Roada laughed, she thought it was a disaster if she was in that class.

"But that kind of situation is just normal for me. Your class isn't comparable to mine. You think Yu Shuxin's talkativeness, Aria Jin's sleeping in class, Xu Xinwen's boisterous voice, and Xueer and Kiki's, I don't know if you call that a problem. But I can say you haven't seen my classmates yet, they are like the spawn of Satan," She smugged, she felt like she won the competition of who has the worst class in the school. "We've been classmates since the first year of senior high school, so I'm used to it."

"I heard Jenny angered the math teacher last time."

"Oh, that wasn't Jenny that was Yuyan's fault. I don't know what got into her."

"Why? What happened," Roada was excited to hear the story.

"I was just told about this one since I was paying attention to the class. It startled the whole class when Jenny shouted in pain," Dai Yanni paused for the story revelation. "That crazy Yuyan was sawing her ruler on the desk, imagine, she sawed a steel ruler, a-steel-ruler," She said the last part word per word, doing the Italian hand gesture to emphasize it. "So obviously it'll get hot because of the friction and god knows what came into her dimwitted mind that she stuck the ruler on Jenny's neck." She rolled her eyes.

"Hahahaha! What the!?" The story made Roada laugh so loud that she was tearing. She could already imagine herself if she saw that situation.

"I know right?" Dai Yanni shook her head in disbelief.

"The queen of unbothered," Roada clapped her hands to Dai Yanni. If there will be an award for the president of the year, that would be Dai Yanni.

"Because of those rascals causing trouble in class, they shaped me for who I am today," Dai Yanni laughed at her own remark, but it was the truth, it made her immune to those kinds of trouble. She became good at keeping her composure; she thought she must be calm all the time to be always pretty because if you're bothered by stress it can only make you ugly.

"Wow, damn speech you got there," Roada laughed.

They looked at the time, it was 6:12 pm, they should have gone home by 6 but they were busy doing the paper works and enjoying the chat.

"I should be going, how about you?" Roada asked her.

"You go first. I'll stay here until 6:30."

"Ok, suit yourself," Roada packed her stuff and left the room.

Dai Yanni was left alone; it was silent that you could hear the white noise. She was tired of the loads of paper works that are due three days from now. The emptiness made her feel lonely too.

She felt beat.

The weight on her shoulders was heavy.

She said she wasn't bothered by all of the stress, but it did. She's also human, she was damn tired.

Suddenly, she heard a knock onthe door. "Come in," She sat properly, poised. When thedoor was opened, she saw Xiaotang came in. "Oh, it's you," She saidunenthusiastically. "It's 6, what are you doing here?" Her tone was sharp.

"I just came to check," Xiaotang was finding words to lie; she can't tell her the reason why she's still at school. She can't tell her she's helping a friend at this hour or else she'll get scolded again by her. But when she looked at Dai Yanni's face, she could tell that something is bothering her. She walked to her and asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, you should go home or aunt will get mad at you," Her words couldn't fool Xiaotang. She has known Dai Yanni since they were ten since they were playmates. Dai Yanni's father works for Xiaotang's father's company. Their peers didn't know they were close friends. They don't interact much at school. Nobody would also believe that Dai Yanni is friends with Xiaotang, given by their contrast personality. Xiaotang is careless, perky, indifferent, fun-loving, and carefree; very opposite to Dai Yanni. Dai Yanni cannot be any alike Xiaotang's personality, she has to meet the high expectations from her parents. She couldn't just slack off and be mediocre, she has to double her efforts in everything she does. She's the perfect jiejie, everyone is looking up to her.

Xiaotang ambled towards her and hugged her from behind.

It startled Dai Yanni. "What are you doing?" She shoved Xiaotang's arms off her, but Xiaotang didn't budge. She wasn't supposed to be bothered by stress. It's just schoolwork, she can handle it.

She can accomplish anything.

"You don't have to be perfect, you know that," Xiaotang back hugged her firmly; instead of protesting, Dai Yanni sighed and eventually calmed down from her heavy feelings. The words and actions were comforting enough. How embarrassing that she told Roada Xu that nothing stresses her, it was a lie. She needed to convince herself that she's prone to it. If Xiaotang didn't come, she could have a breakdown a while ago. She's thankful to her but it puzzled her that Xiaotang is still at school.

"Seriously, why are you still here?" Dai Yanni asked.

"Ha?"

"It's 6:26 pm," Dai Yanni looked at her wristwatch.

"Ha?"

"Answer me and stop saying 'ha'!" This side of Xiaotang pisses her off.

"Ha-How you like that?🎡" Xiaotang sang.

Dai Yanni had enough of Xiaotang's jesting that she shoved her arms with more force this time and stood up. "What are you up to?"Β She knew Xiaotang was doing something mischievous again.

She could sense it strongly.

Xiaotang grinned as she was busted. "Dai Yanni, I need a favor."

Β