Dinaosaurs Are Extinct

One Day At A Time

Aria Jin approached Liu Lingzi who was doing her unfinished math homework. Lingzi noticed her in her peripheral vision that someone was standing beside her. She looked up and greeted her, "Good morning," She smiled and looked at her expression that was unreadable but gave off a drowsy and unenthusiastic vibe. "Is there something wrong?" She felt something off about Aria.

Aria Jin showed her the letter that was in her locker. "I believe this is yours," She gave it to Lingzi who felt embarrassed; it was the third letter she received from an anonymous. Aria Jin was always the one who delivered the letters to her. The mystery sender had mistaken her locker for Lingzi since their lockers were next to each other and they don't have names on it, instead of names, only their seat numbers were written on it. So, it was obvious that the letter sender was not from their class. It could be from the other classes. Liu Lingzi had a feeling it could be one of her underclassmen who wrote it. After all, it wasn't unusual for their school to be sending love letters to their upperclassmen; girls liking girls wasn't news to them anymore.

"You're really popular," Aria told her with a soft smile.

"Wow, I'm popular?"

"Three letters in a row in my locker," Aria teased Lingzi.

"It doesn't mean anything!" Lingzi wasn't fully honest to herself; deep inside she was curious about the mystery sender. But it was embarrassing to admit it herself and it wasn't new to her that someone had slid a letter to her before.

"Isn't it cute?" Aria told her with the same plain expression written on her face.

"Not, a bit!" Lingzi denied; she tried to read her expression but she guessed Aria was just sleepy from yesterday's photoshoot for the young women's clothing magazine.
She gets the warm can of Cafe au Lait that was in her small thermal insulated bag for her lunchbox. "Here, drink this," She opened the warm can of coffee and gave it to Aria.

"Thanks," Aria drank it beautifully like she was in a commercial for a coffee product. She's well known in the school for being one of the prettiest students on the campus. She enrolled in Qingchun Youni Academy since they are not strict with their students who work for part-time jobs or modeling jobs. Everyone also knows that she's in a fashion magazine for young women. It wasn't as big as the other fashion magazines but being in a magazine was already a big deal. When she started her job as a model, she sometimes dozes off in class and gets scolded by the teachers. Despite it, she balances her part-time job and gets good grades in class, and because of it, the teachers don't bother to scold her anymore.

"You look beat," Lingzi said with a concerned tone.

Aria laughed softly. "Don't I always look like this?" She joked.

Lingzi shot her a disbelief look; Aria is so down to earth and does not consider herself as one of the prettiest in class. She always hears Aria Jin say that she hasn't reached half of Joey Chua's beauty even if she already pars with her. Lingzi thought a person's beauty standards differ from every people's point of view. She doesn't even consider herself pretty but there will be other people that say otherwise. She realized that even if you think or consider yourself unattractive, there will be other people or a person that thinks you are attractive in their eyes.

Suddenly there were a bunch of noisy students in the corridor.

"Rouhang!"

"Row – hung!"

"Row, row, row – hang!"

"ROUHAAAAAAANG!!"

The 3C students, Lu Keran, Bee Bee Huang, Yuyan, Xiaotang, Sunrui, Dai Meng, and Lin Fan were laughing, shouting, and calling Feng Rouhang's name playfully; they caught everyone's attention in 3A class as they passed by their classroom.

Zuo Zhuo was laughing at the commotion while Feng Rouhang just glared at them. "I think your ex wants attention," Zuo Zhuo teased, implying to Bee Bee Huang.

"She's not my ex!" Rouhang denied. "Did your stomach feel ticklish when Yuyan passed by?" She shot back.

"No, it doesn't bother me," She was abashed and tried to hide her almost reddish cheeks.

Rouhang was laughing hard because Zuo Zhuo was being obvious, the latter couldn't hide her face from blushing. "Aiya, look at your face!" She told her friend.

"Shut up!" Zuo Zhuo covered her face as she was laughing; they were both chuckling from the situation.

"Eeee, how nice lah," Yu Shuxin commented when she saw the other students calling Feng Rouhang's name. "Even in an all-girls school they can express themselves normally, isn't that great?" She looked at Kong Xueer who was sitting next to her.

"Yeah," Kong Xueer replied as she crossed her legs, looking at the students passing by the corridor, having a nonchalant expression.

"Didn't Rouhang used to date Bee Bee Huang?" Xu Jiaqi told Kong Xueer and Yu Shuxin.

"Really?" Yu Shuxin was surprised; her expression was bright, she wanted to know more of it.

"I heard that!" Rouhang who was sitting in the same row with them interjected. "I don't know where you got the rumor but I just want to clarify, we chatted for a week and that's it. Nothing more," then she looked at Zuo Zhuo. "No offense, I'm not against that kind of relationship. I'm just not into girls."

"Why are you so defensive?" Zuo Zhuo .

"No, I'm not. I'm just stating facts," Routing replied. They knew she was serious when she did the Italian hand gesture with both hands; they thought she was funny. Routing knew why Lu Keran, Bee Bee Huang, Yuyan, Xiaotang, Sunrui, Dai Meng, and Lin Fan were playfully calling her name. She couldn't tell her classmates that she was an accomplice of something. She was also guilty that she told that person the wrong locker number; she didn't mean to, she just forgot the seat number.

"I like this school, it normalizes this kind of relationship, free from judgment from the society," Yu Shuxin told them, her hands clasps with each other and acted like a dreamy person. "If everyone is as understanding as to the students in this school, we'll be free from our worries," Yu Shuxin's words chopped, stabbed, pounded, and sliced Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi in the guts. What Yu Shuxin said was true; nobody really batted an eye about being queer in their school since it was a norm. Even if the relationship was a secret from their family and the other people, but inside was a safe space for them. In school, the people's judgments weren't their enemy, it was they themselves. Xu Jiaqi was sweating from being nervous that her face foundation was melting. She thought she should have bought a waterproof liquid foundation instead of the normal ones, just in case to avoid this kind of situation. She glanced at Kong Xueer whose face didn't even flinch, she acted like it was nothing, totally unbothered, and there she was, being obvious of the matter. She mentally praised her girlfriend who pulled a poker face.

There was a sudden announcement at the school. "Announcing all teachers come to the faculty, I repeat, all teachers come to the faculty for an urgent 20-minute meeting." The students in the class were shouting and howling of joy that it can be heard from the faculty room where the school's prefect-of-discipline was announcing. "Students, be quiet! We can hear your scream from the faculty. Announcing all classroom officers, all classroom officers, please look after the class while we are having an urgent meeting. Thank you." After the announcement, there was a loud screech from the speaker that it hurt the ears of the students.

Five minutes later, an underclassman from the photography club called Liu Lingzi's attention. The underclassman excused herself from entering 3A's classroom and told Lingzi that the pictures she took were damaged; she told her that someone sabotaged her photographic films. Furious, she didn't ask for more details and went to the photography club. She was thinking about how badly ruined the photos are and how she can save some of them. The photos were important to her because she took them for the upcoming photography contest. It would be a waste of energy to start again from the beginning. When she opened the door to the photography club, she was surprised by what she saw. There were a bunch of cute dinosaur plushies were on the table. She realized it was a set-up, she was tricked by her underclassman but she wondered from whom it came from. Then, she noticed there were people around her, students from class 3C, they stepped aside so Lin Fan could pass through the center. Lin Fan was holding a bouquet of beautiful flowers wrapped with dinosaur printed wrapper. Everyone who was there was cheering for them. Lin Fan was shy to approach her but Yuyan pushed her, "Go! Go near her, you fool!" She told Lin Fan who was blushing. Lingzi was baffled by the situation; she didn't know how to react when Lin Fan was beside her with the surprise they made for her.

"I'm sorry if it surprised you, I was supposed to give you the letters in person but I chickened out," Lin Fan told her, swaying her body from embarrassment.

"You put it in the wrong locker," Lingzi responded.

"HUH!? You didn't receive it?"

"I did, but it wasn't in my locker."

Lu Keran, Bee Bee Huang, Yuyan, Xiaotang, Sunrui, and Dai Meng called Rouhang's presence to scold her incompetence in doing the only task they asked her to do.

"What the?!"

"Where's that good for nothing Rouhang."

"ROUHAAAAAAANG!!!"

"Geez, she had only one job!"

Feng Rouhang and the other third-year students who heard the gossip came to watch the happenings. When Rouhang arrived at the scene she was chided by them for not doing her only job. "Honestly, I didn't know her seat number!" She explained.

"Aiyamaya, you've been classmates for three years, how could you not know?" Sunrui rebuked.

Neither Lingzi nor Lin Fan could look at each other; they were embarrassed by the situation. Their batch mates were watching at them; they even scolded Lin Fan for having a lack of courage of telling her how she feels, they were also telling her how tedious she was.

"Fine! Fine! Fine!" She yelled and breathed deeply to gain courage. "Lingzi, I don't expect anything in return. I don't even know if you're into this or, maybe not, I didn't even ask or survey first..." She nervously laughed as her heart was pounding fast.

Everyone was teasing them.

"Shhh!! Let her speak!" Dai Meng warned them.

"Liu Lingzi, I just... I just like you. I don't ask for anything..." She stuttered from nervousness. "I just wanted you to know that I like you," Everyone went crazy when Lin Fan gave her the bouquet to her; both of them were blushing from the embarrassment.

Lingzi accepted it but she didn't say a word; her face was as red as a tomato, she couldn't even keep eye contact with anyone. She didn't like this kind of grand surprises, it frightens her. She didn't like the spotlight that was shone on her at that moment. It was suffocating, she couldn't even hear the people around them and it felt like their voices were muffled. They didn't know that she was panicking from the overwhelming attention. When she looked at the people cheering and teasing them, she couldn't see their faces clearly, it was a blur.

But then, an angelic face glimmering amongst the blurred faces of the cheering crowd; she saw her only saving grace from the anxiety that shrouded her at that moment. Lingzi mouthed her for help; she was drowning.

'I'm here,' – is what she read from that person's mouth.

Lingzi tried her best to keep her composure and held on to that person's assurance. She breathed deeply and thought that it'll be alright.