The Transferee

One Day At A Time

It was early in the morning, homeroom, everyone was in their class except for Xiaotang, Sunrui, Lu Keran, and Lin Fan. They were looking at the 3A class because it was the talk of the campus that there was a new transferee student from Singapore, she was a late enrollee. She came from a coed school abroad and they were curious about her. Their school is an all-girls private school where daughters of the middle and upper-middle class were enrolled. The school was one of the Top 20 best high schools in Beijing, China. The school produces topnotch students who will become the future leaders in Beijing, China – What a lie! They aren't picky of students with great potential in talents or wits; they accept everyone who can afford education. It is what it is nowadays. As long as you have the money, it isn't a problem. Although most of the students of Qingchun Youni Academy have good averages in terms of academics, there will be always students who are also below average or worse, low average.

"She doesn't look like Singaporean."

"What does a Singaporean even look like, a merlion?"

"Be quiet or else we'll get punished again!"

"Stop it, you idiots! That's her! Shhh!"

"Hello everyone, my name is Yu Shuxin or you can call me Esther. My birthday is on December 18. I'm a Sagittarius. I love baking, cooking, singing, dancing, and talking. I talk a lot and it's my hobby. It annoys people but I can't stop it. I just talk a lot when I get excited, nervous, happy, and angry. My parents thought it was a disorder, so they took me to the doctor for a diagnosis. Sadly, it was normal and there was nothing wrong with me."

"Why sadly? Isn't that a good thing?" Xu Xinwen whispered to Roada Xu who was listening to Yu Shuxin attentively. Roada Xu just shrugged.

"The doctor just said that I'm just an over-positive person and it was a good thing because I don't have to go to a psychiatrist."

"Can you believe it?" Xu Xinwen whispered to Roada Xu. "If she posts that on social media, she will probably get flooded by hate comments."

"You know, people nowadays are so sensitive. That's why we should be mindful of our words." Roada Xu replied.

Yu Shuxin looked at Joey Chua who was brightly smiling at her seat; she returned the smile. "Hello, I really like how you so smile. It's so bright, I think we will get along for sure. By the way, what's your name?"

"I'm Joey. Actually, I'm not really smiling because I'm positive today. My mouth is just stiff because of the dental veneers and I can't seem to put it back as it was before. My dentist told me it's normal. So, I apologize for the annoyance."

Everyone was, "ahhhh, no wonder," and they realized it's just her veneers. They thought Joey was weirdly smiling for a week now because she was in euphoria.

"Joey, I really thought you won from the lottery. You had that smile for a few days now."

"Yeah, I saw from the news the winner from yesterday's lottery was Chua. I thought that was you."

"Girls please stop, let Ms. Yu continue." Their teacher interjected so Yu Shuxin could finish her self-introduction.

"Thanks, Wang laoshi, now where was I? Oh, I have a pet pig at home and I named her Hammy!"

And Yu Shuxin went on and on and on that their teacher had to stop her because she talked awfully a lot. She even talked about her nosy neighbor and how the neighbor annoyed her. Everyone was thankful to their class advisor for stopping her from talking. "Thank you Ms. Yu, I bet your classmates are excited to know you more..." Her voice was dramatically declining. "Please find your seat beside Ms. Kong." She pointed.

"Which girl, Wang laoshi? Is it the girl sleeping?"

"Aria, Aria, Aria Jin," Wang laoshi called her attention. "Please don't sleep in class."

Jessie Fu who was at the back of Aria Jin tapped her shoulder to wake her up. "Aria, wake up. Laoshi is calling your attention."

Aria woke up and apologized to her teacher and to her classmates who were looking at her.

 

The students who were outside were talking about Yu Shuxin, sharing their opinions about her.

"The new girl looks pretty, it's just... She talks a lot like a mouth with a machine gun."

Xiaotang, Sunrui, Lu Keran, and Lin Fan looked at behind them. Dai Meng gave them a questioning look.

"Oh, I didn't notice you were there." Lin Fan quipped.

"I was asked by Laoshi to get you. She didn't want to exert energy just to get you." Dai Meng said. But there was a reprimanding cough behind them, they looked back and saw their advisor.

"Laoshi!" They gasped. Xiaotang, Sunrui, Lu Keran, Lin Fan, and Dai Meng had to stand still; they knew they were getting punished for not being in their homeroom class. Who wouldn't get notified when a bunch of students is not in their respective seats? It was obvious to notice that someone wasn't in the class. It was always the mischievous students in the class.

Their advisor had to breathe in deeply; she didn't want to get a headache early in the morning. She looked at Dai meng, disappointed. "Dai Meng, I gave you an order to bring them back. What's this?"

Dai Meng punched Sunrui's arm out of the blue. It made Sunrui dumbfounded. "What the hell was that for?"

"I'm sorry Laoshi, I had a fight before getting them. It was a tough one. Good thing you're here." Dai Meng quipped. Their advisor didn't buy it but she didn't want to get angry early in the morning. She closed her eyes and told them to go back to their classroom.

"That punch wasn't necessary, y'know?" Sunrui told Dai Meng as she rubbed her arm to lessen the pain.

"Honestly, I wanted to do that many times."

"You rascal!" Sunrui slapped Dai Meng in retaliation. She and Dai Meng went in first to their classroom before the others.

"Merlion girl was pretty though." Lin Fan commented about Yu Shuxin as she walked in their classroom like they didn't get any trouble.

"Aiyayaya, these trouble makers," When they entered their classroom, Nai Wan snickered as she looks at them, spinning her pen on her thumb cooly.

"Aiyama, these fools again," Xie Keyin shook her head. "So, how was the new student from A-class?" She pried.

"She talks like my grandma, except she doesn't cuss." Lu Keran replied to Xie Keyin as she walked by behind her seat. Then, as soon as they sat on their respective seats, she looked at Xiaotang to ask her. "What do you think Xiaotang? You've been quiet all of a sudden."

"She's impeccable," Xiaotang answered.

Lu Keran raised her right brow in disbelief. "Dude, she's so annoying, didn't you hear her blabbering nonsense? What is likable about that? I just remembered my dead grandma in her. I love my grandma, God bless her soul. I hope she's in heaven despite being a rap goddess of cussing."

"Why would you compare her to your dead grandma?" Xiaotang shot her a look. "Anyway, I just like her because she's genuine, that's all," Suddenly Xiaotang heard a forced cough, calling her attention; Ranee Wang was facing her from her seat.

"Give me back my sign pen," She reprimanded.

"What sign pen?" Xiaotang raised her brow as she gave her a quizzical look.

"Don't play dumb, the one you borrowed yesterday," Ranee folded her arms, not taking another of her excuses.

"Ahhhhh," Xiaotang hastily rummaged in her pocket. "Sorry, can I use this again? I forgot my pen at home," She shot her a puppy face.

Ranee Wang grunted as she turned her back from Xiaotang. She hated this part of Xiaotang, she doesn't know how to return the things she had agreed on the day to return it. Lu Keran and Lin Fan were looking at them as they witnessed what had happened. When Xiaotang met their eyes they laughed hysterically. Xiaotang didn't have to look at Ranee's expression. She knew Ranee was rolling her eyes in irritation. Xiaotang wasn't really sorry at all.