History Class

One Day At A Time

It was their fifth period, History class, the teacher was boringly teaching the class. He was like an old flat disc record deliberately reading the book. It was obvious that the students were bored and sleepy. The first row students weren't even paying much attention to the class. Ranee Wang was using her phone, messaging someone on WeChat. Ma Shujun was biting her nails, thinking of what her mother is cooking for dinner. Dai Yanni was reading the History book for her own sake, half-listening to the teacher. Song Xinran was looking at her reflection on her compact mirror, fixing her bangs. Su Shanshan was arranging her pencil case according to colors. The History teacher even cracked a boring joke to wake up the dead spirit in his class. It was awkward because there wasn't a single reaction. So, he decided to write on the blackboard and told them to copy it.

Liu Yuxin was helping Naho who was a Japanese transferee from last year, she helped her how to read the Chinese characters. Although the Chinese characters have the same meaning in Japanese Kanji, it differed on how it was read. Patience is Liu Yuxin's virtue and that's what everyone in the class likes about her.

Dai Yanni finished writing down notes. She didn't have to copy what the teacher was writing because he was just copying what was written in the books. Dai Yanni thought he was an ineffective teacher. He doesn't know how to teach and he the soul out of the class. Dai Yanni looked at her classmates; she knew they were as bored as her. Everyone was doing their own business. She looked at Xiaotang who was leaning beside the window, sleeping peacefully. Sun Rui caught her looking at Xiaotang and shot her a teasing look. Dai Yanni rolled her eyes, fixed her hair, and looked away, annoyed.

Sunrui was amused by Dai Yanni's reaction. She looked at Jenny Zeng who was copying what their teacher was writing on the board. "Psst!"

Jenny looked at her. "What?"

"Do you know what you're copying is just in the book?"

"Really?"

"Just highlight the important stuff."

"I don't even know what's important here," Jenny was at a loss, she looked at Yuyan who was sitting behind her.

Yuyan was busy doodling her History book. Jenny's face was horrified when she saw the doodle. There were no words left that were readable. "Are you crazy? How are you going to study when you scribbled even the words?"

"I'll just ask you for the answer, duh?" Yuyan plainly replied.

Yuyan continued doodling and noticed on her right side, Bee Bee Huang, who was so busy braiding Luna Qin's hair into a fishtail braid style. She observed Luna Qin being relaxed as her hair was braided. Their ambiance felt like they were in a salon. Bee Bee Huang caught Yuyan looking at them, she offered Yuyan if she wanted to be braided as well; Yuyan declined.

Xie Keyin stealthily entered the room bringing some food she bought at the canteen. Her seat was in the back row, so it was easy for her not to be caught. She bought steamed pork buns, siomai, and drinks. She shared the food with Nai Wan who was sitting on her left. Nai Wan tapped Sun Meinan who was drawing Haikyuu characters in her notebook. She looked behind and was happy when Xie Keyin gave her a steamed pork bun. Xie Keyin woke Handong from her slumber; she also gave her a steamed pork bun to eat. She thanked Xie Keyin for the food. They were happily eating at the back row, not caring whether they will get caught. Students weren't allowed to eat in the classroom; it was a golden rule known by everyone. But they don't give a about the rules. It's not a crime when you don't get caught.

Lin Fan saw them eating in the class, she got jealous of them. She was drooling by just looking at them happily eating in the class. She didn't have the guts to sneak out of the class to buy food at the canteen. But she wanted to eat ramen after class. She wrote a note on a piece of paper and folded it, and flicked it to Lu Keran who was copying notes from the board.

The folded note flew on her desk, she read the note.

I'm hungry. Let's eat after class.

Lu Keran replied and flicked the note to Lin Fan.

Sure. What do you wanna eat?

Lu Keran replied and flicked the note to Lin Fan again.

LinFan replied and flicked the paper to Lu Keran but she flicked it in the wrong direction. It landed on Dai Meng's feet, she picked up the paper, and Lin Fan pointed at Lu Keran to give her the note. Dai Meng nodded, but she was a bit naughty.

I wanna eat ramen! Dai Meng read the note and her inner demon was telling her to do something wicked.

Dai Meng changed the written words in the note and gave it to Lu Keran who was sitting in front of her; she gestured it was from Lin Fan.

Lu Keran opened the note. I wanna eat YOU 

She felt disgusted when she read it; she looked at Lin Fan in horror when the latter smiled and winked at her.