They Fly Like Butterflies

One Day At A Time

It was History Class, the most boring class for 3C. The teacher was reading the book monotonously as he was writing on the board. It was like listening to a boring documentary. The students didn't even make noises because the teacher the soul out of them. Unlike Math Class, even though they don't understand a thing, they are still able to do something. There is something peculiar in the History Class that makes them weak and lifeless. The front row students are always the heroes of the class; they are the only ones who are interacting with the teacher and for that, they get the respect of the whole class.

Ranee Wang was writing down notes that she copied from the blackboard and when she made a mistake she looked for her eraser in her pencil case. She remembered she lent Xiaotang her eraser; she turned around to get it back. "My eraser," She told her, but when she looked at Xiaotang, the latter was busy grinding something with her ruler. Xiaotang's eyes widened when she realized Ranee was asking for her eraser back. She couldn't look Ranee directly in the eyes as she stopped what she was doing. "I need my eraser back," Ranee told her again. She was suspicious why Xiaotang was holding a ruler and would not even look at her, but she realized something the moment she saw gray crumbs that were almost turned into dust, and the small packaging of her eraser was on Xiaotang's desk, torn. Ranee furrowed her brows as she clenched her hands in anger leaving nail marks on her palms.

What on Earth had gotten into Xiaotang's head that she pulverized her eraser? Xiaotang's action was really baffling for Ranee.

"I'm sorry, I'll replace your eraser," Xiaotang was sincerely apologetic for her action. Even herself, she didn't know why she did that; she knows it was stupid.

Maybe it was the boredom that had driven her to do it.

Ranee was so pissed that she turned around and didn't want to hear any excuses from Xiaotang. She hated her immaturity, she didn't want to talk to her ever again.

Suddenly the bell had rang, it was lunchtime. The students stood up for the goodbye greeting in class. "Thank you for teaching us today, Loashi," Everyone bowed, and when the class has finally ended, the students walked out of their classrooms in groups of friends or solo, going to the cafeteria to have lunch.

Lu Keran, Dai Meng, Yuyan, Lin Fan, Sunrui, and Xiaotang were glancing at each other waiting for the right timing. They watched all their classmates leave the classroom. Yuyan was on the watch outside of the classroom, waiting for all the third-year students to leave the third floor. Yuyan gave a nod to Dai Meng, Xiaotang, and Sunrui who left with the other students; she gestured to message them for updates. Sunrui returned the gesture.

When everyone was gone, Eliwa, who was in the 3B class, gave Yuyan the signal that it was safe to come inside their classroom. Yuyan knocked on the door of 3C class, signaling that it was clear. Lin Fan and Lu Keran took the plastic jar from their bags and went inside the 3B where Eliwa was guarding her post, and when they were inside they asked her about her friends.

"They're at the cafeteria. I told them that I'll be in the clinic and I'll just catch up after," Eliwa said as she closed the sliding door.

"You didn't tell them?" Lu Keran asked, walking behind Lin Fan.

"It's better that way, in case we'll be in trouble for doing this," Eliwa walked to the lockers at the back where they put their bags and books. "These," She pointed at the lockers. Lin Fan and Lu Keran approached her.

Yuyan checked if there were other students outside before coming into the 3B classroom. She slowly closed the sliding door and approached her friends who were gathering in front of the lockers. "I really wanted to do this for a long time," Yuyan laughed devilishly as she rubbed her hands, not a single contemplation was thought at that moment.

"What's in the plastic jar?" Eliwa was curious as she looked at the jar which Lu Keran and Lin Fan were holding.

"Oh, you'll know," Lin Fan was laughing wickedly.

At the cafeteria where everyone is eating their lunch, Dai Meng, Sunrui, and Xiaotang who had just finished ordering their meal sat close to the middle area where they could see everyone around.

"Do you think they finished doing the job?" Sunrui asked her friends.

"Xiaotang, message them," Dai Meng told Xiaotang who was already holding her smartphone.

"They're still on it," Xiaotang said as she took a bite of her food, checking some messages.

"If they'll finish doing it, it's up to us whether this will be successful or not. We can't jeopardize this. It's now or never," Dai Meng told them. It was the truth; if they fail the stunt it will be pointless. They need the right timing for everyone to see. It will be great revenge if they can execute the plan properly.

Kong Xueer, Xu Jiaqi, and Yu Shuxin arrived at their table, holding their lunch trays. Yu Shuxin waved at Xiaotang, smiling sweetly.

"Can we sit with you guys?" Xu Jiaqi asked.

"Sure," Sunrui replied as she and Xiaotang gave them a space to sit in.

Xueer and Xu Jiaqi sat beside Dai Meng while across them where Sunrui and Xiaotang were, Yu Shuxin sat beside Xiaotang.

"I thought our class will get a punishment," Xueer shared what happened to their Math Class earlier as she sat beside Dai Meng, putting her lunch tray on the table.

"Why, what happened?" Sunrui asked curiously.

"Oh, it's because Zuo Zhuo suddenly sang a high note in class. She forgot it was Math Class," Xu Jiaqi answered, putting her lunch tray on the table.

"And?" Dai Meng asked while looking somewhere and looked back at Xueer.

"Hahaha! That was scary. I thought Laoshi was going to go berserk like how he usually does in your class," Yu Shuxin joked.

"Oh, wow," Xiaotang grinned as she looked at Yu Shuxin. " As if it's our fault that he's got anger management issues?" She gestured at herself, joking.

"Aiyama, is it our fault that Yuyan's head has a loose screw?" Sunrui interjected and took a bite of the tonkatsu.

"I think Yuyan is fun in class," Yu Shuxin commented.

"You bet she is!" Xiaotang exclaimed, glancing at Yu Shuxin.

"Our class is so silent and obedient," Yu Shusin told them as she held her small box of milk and poke a straw on it. It was true that out of the three classes in the third-year, the 3C class in the most chaotic class. Some of the teachers don't know what to do with their class. They just hoped their batch will graduate soon, so they could breathe from the ordeal of handling them.

"Well, it was but when you came it's just..." Xu Jiaqi teased Yu Shuxin who was whining when she told her.

"Eyyyy, I'm silent and obedient in class. Kong Xueer, tell them!"

"Yu Shuxin is obedient... but silent?" Xueer looked at Yu Shuxin, purposely squinting her eyes. "I don't know about silent. She's too loud, to be honest."

"Aiyaaa! What a lie!" Yu Shuxin protested by the accusation. Even though it was the truth, sometimes she might be oblivious that she's quite talkative. has no breaks every time she gets enthusiastic about something that she's interested in.

They chortled at how she whined. It wasn't irritating per se it was rather cute.

Yu Shuxin looked at Xiaotang, asking to take her side. "Zhao Xiaotang, you wouldn't believe them would you?" She held Xiaotang's arm as she smiled at her, hoping she would say she believes her.

It was the first time Xiaotang looked at Yu Shuxin's face up close. She noticed her whisker-like-line on her cheeks when she smiles; she thought it was a cute distinctive feature of her. She remembered she heard the other day people were talking about how annoying and pretentious she is. Xiaotang never paid attention to those tittle-tattles. Yu Shuxin seems like a sweet girl but people always have unpleasant to say about other people without knowing them first. And when Yu Shuxin asks about her being a quiet type of person, she doesn't know much about her in class but she remembered the day when she introduced herself in 3A class, at that time, she and her friends were peeking at Yu Shuxin's self-introduction and she talks quite a lot. She didn't want to tell her first impression either. She wanted to stay neutral. "Eh, I don't know we're not classmates," She raised her brows and shrugged.

Yu Shuxin felt defeated and sat straight, showing Xiaotang her best self to prove that she is indeed obedient and silent.

Xu Jiaqi rolled her eyes and laughed. "Oh my, Yu Shuxin, stop the act it doesn't suit you," She gestured.

Yu Shuxin laughed out loud. "I can't also stand doing it myself hahaha!"

If anyone knows about Yu Shuxin, it would be Kong Xueer and Xu Jiaqi, they are her closest in class, and despite she has just transferred and she doesn't know about their hidden relationship; hence the two girls kept it a secret, but they get along quite well. It wasn't hard to be friends with Yu Shuxin since she's approachable, kind, and shows her genuine self to everyone.

When Kong Xueer looked at Xu Jiaqi's lips, she noticed there's a small food stain on the side of . She pointed to Xu Jiaqi about the stain, but the latter couldn't get it right. Xueer was frustrated watching Xu Jiaqi missing the spot; so she wiped it for her. Xu Jiaqi smiled, thanking her.

Xiaotang and Yu Shuxin caught that, deep inside they felt there was something weird about the two but they shrugged it off, thinking it was just how best friends are. They thought they'd also do it to their friends if they were in that situation. After all, it was a normal gesture if you truly care for others.

Sunrui's mouth was itching to tell Xu Jiaqi and Kong Xueer about what Yuyan heard from the quadruplets. She thought it was right that she should tell them about it. "I want to share something..." She paused before continuing it. She looked at Xueer and Xu Jiaqi directly.

"About what?" Xueer asked.

"Should I say this? I don't know if it's necessary," Sunrui looked at Xiaotang who was sitting beside her, asking if it was ok to tell. Xiaotang replied, "Go." Then, her eyes went on Dai Meng for confirmation but she just shrugged. She was still contemplating whether to tell it or not. She didn't want to hurt their feelings but she didn't want to lie to them either.

Somehow the two best friends got the hint that it was about them. "It's about us, right?" Xu Jiaqi was sure of it. She could tell by looking at Sunrui's face; she was in distress.

"Oh my god, just say it. It's discomforting to see your face looking like you want to poop," Dai Meng commented.

"Fine!" Sunrui slammed her hands on the tabled in frustration. "Yuyanwassleepingonthesofaandsheheardthequadrupletstalkedbehindyou'rebackthatyoubothlooklikeadonkeybutshewasn'treallyeavesdroppingshejustaccidentallyheardit," She said rapidly without a pause like a voice-over actor who speaks fast on TV about medicine commercials with no therapeutic claims.

"What?!"

"Huh?"

"Say it properly!"

Everyone was giving her grimacing looks, and Xiaotang was ready to smack her head to say it properly rather than blathering. The only thing saving her from being smacked was the presence of people around them.

Sunrui breathes deeply before saying it. "Yuyan heard the quadruplets were talking about you two looking like a donkey," Sunrui covered afterward, worried that they might feel bad after hearing it, but she was surprised when all of them laughed. "I thought you'll get upset," She was confused.

"Why would we?" Xu Jiaqi asked.

"Yeah, why would we get offended by a petty name-calling?" Kong Xueer shrugged unbothered by what the quadruplets have said behind their backs. She didn't care what the quadruplets think about them, she was sure they were three times more beautiful than the root-crop-looking sisters. They were just good at saying mean things behind everyone's back, but Kong Xueer knows that they were coward to say it to their faces. "I mean, they're always like that and everyone knows." Xu Jiaqi nodded in agreement.

Yu Shuxin just listened, she didn't know about the quadruplets being disliked by their classmates. But she knew they have an attitude that isn't likable. She first handly experienced it when she was asked to return the papers. Thankfully, Xiaotang stepped in to help her settle the matter. She took a glimpse of Xiaotang, she can't help admiring her side profile. She is beautiful even from her side angle. She can't tell what she was feeling at the moment, it just feels warm and nice inside. She took a sip of her milk as she just listened to their chatters.

Dai Meng checked her phone when she received a group message from Yuyan saying the deed was done. It was up to her to do the next step. She signaled Xiaotang and Sunrui by tapping their shoes using her foot under the table; they understood what it meant. So, Dai Meng stood up and excused herself while they continue eating their lunch and talk.

"You didn't touch your food, it's a waste," Yu Shuxin remarked looking at Dai Meng in concern.

"It's ok, I don't feel eating."

"Are you sick?"

Dai Meng didn't know what to say but she wanted to come up with something but she blurted out, "I have Hallux Rigidus," She pursed her lips when she knew she said it wrong. She just remembered the word when her cousin from abroad went home for vacation and was studying for her test during her stay. She heard her say Hallux Rigidus a lot and she finds it interesting because she thought it was like a spell from Harry Potter; Hallux Rigidus is a disorder of the joint located at the base of the big toe. Dai Meng could only hope that they would never search for it on the internet.

"That's tough!" Sunrui replied, she didn't know what it means but she tried to cover her.

"Go to the clinic and ask for aspirin," Xiaotang added.

Dai Meng didn't say another word and just nodded to them to say goodbye. She carried her lunch tray and put it on the tray counter, and as she finished doing it, she went to the secluded area at the school cafeteria where the maintenance room is. Inside the maintenance is where the electrical, heater, power switch, and other building systems can be found. Dai Meng sneaked inside and found none of the staff were inside. So, she examined the switches of which are which before switching the right one. She read the labels carefully and turned off the air conditioner in the cafeteria, she tweaked the temperature to 26 Degrees Celsius.

"Jiejie, look at the next two tables behind you. The everyday-foundation-girls and the big mouth Yu Shuxin are sitting with Zhao Xiaotang," Shen Yu pointed at Xiaotang's table, telling her three sisters about them.

"Ugh! So pretentious, now they wanted to be friends with the rich girl, Zhao Xiaotang."

"Of course, everyone wants to be friends with Xiaotang."

"That big mouth fish Yu Shuxin wants to be friends with Zhao Xiaotang too? How pathetic!"

"You said it right, sis," Shen Bing laughed.

The quadruplets talk ill behind everyone's back. Nobody can escape being talked about, maybe, not even the rats. They always have to say something about things even the slightest ones that don't even concern them. It's like they make it a hobby.

"Sis, don't you think it's getting warmer?" Shen Bing told her sisters as she was sweating.

"Yeah, I noticed it too, jiejie."

"Did the school turn off the air conditioner, for what? To save electricity bill? Our parents didn't enroll us in a prestigious private school for us to suffer!"

The quadruplets were starting to fan themselves and they looked around them, everyone is fanning themselves too from the cafeteria's warm temperature. The students were complaining about how hot it was. A staff noticed it and immediately made an action about the concern and quickly went to the maintenance room to solve the problem.

"Jiejie, you're sweating."

"Sis, your BB cream is melting."

"Sis, I lost my appetite. Let's go to the classroom to retouch our base foundation."

The Shen sisters agreed and stood up to put their trays on the tray counter. They went up to their classroom and found a few of their classmates were also inside cooling themselves. They heard they were also complaining about how oddly hot it was in the cafeteria, so they went back to their classroom to get their necessary stuff for face retouch or use washcloths to wipe their sweats. When the quadruplets walked to their lockers to get their bags and opened them, they shrieked in horror when an intrusion of cockroaches was crawling and flying out from their bags. Everyone looked at the quadruplets as they began screaming and panicking which drew attention from the other classes. Their classmates also shouted as they backed off from the scene to keep away from the disgusting crawling cockroaches. The students that were on the third floor were alarmed by the commotion that they gathered outside of the 3B classroom to watch what was happening. Everyone drew out their phone and recorded; amused by the scene when the 3B students, especially the quadruplets were panicking as they avoided the cockroaches crawling around the floor and some cockroaches were flying like they were butterflies.

"GET IT OFF! GET IT OFF!! KYAAAAAA!!!!"

The quadruplets were squealing and wiggling in panic when some cockroaches were creeping on their uniforms and their heads. They felt odiously repulsed when the roaches touched their skin.

It was a chaotic yet satisfying scene to look at and the sweetest revenge that has ever been served to them.