The Story Begins

Goodnight and Go
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Seven was Dahyun’s favorite number.

Seven is her position of older among her group of closest friends. Seven was her jersey number on the varsity baseball team. Seven was the number of college offers she received before choosing the current one. Seven was the number of how many home runs she scored in the last championship, it was the number of how many consecutive wins the team had on a roll until now in the current season.

Seven was also the amount of months she spended working her off on her game app. Seven was the number of days she worked non-stop to seal a big large gaming company deal and launch her game.

Dahyun opened a start up with her group of friends. It was a good idea at first because working with your friends is fun, right? If things got tough, they always had each other back and it would be easy for them to understand and comfort each other if needed. They were all in the same boat.

It all started when Dahyun was hanging around with Eunwoo, Moonbin and SinB after an soccer game. Eunwoo and Moonbin were playing for the social sciences department and although Dahyun and SinB were from another department there were in the front row bleachers cheering for both of them. After they won, which wasn’t really a surprise, at least not for Dahyun since Moonbin was the captain for the male’s soccer team and Eunwoo was the captain for the basketball team, athletics was on their daily routine. The other teams pulled out a good fight but in the end of every match the guys team were always the winners.

When they got out to celebrate, the talk ended up leading to job related topics, Eunwoo was a junior assistant producer on his father multimedia producer(one of the many companies his father owns) and Moonbin and SinB had a job on Moonbin’s uncle’s game company.

“They are making us look for dynamic RPG games, simple and nice.” Moonbin shares holding a bottle of beer to his mouth.

“They are one of the largest game corporation in the whole freaking Asia, how can’t they hire more people to make it for them?” SinB complains.

Dahyun finds it funny how Moonbin clicks his beer to SinB soju glass as if agreeing with the said even though it’s his family company.

“You should do a game for them Dahyun.” Eunwoo’s joke. They all laugh.

“Yeah, will you?” Moonbin gets in the joke too.

They were only kidding at first but then Eunwoo stopped for a moment staring intensely at Dahyun with a concentration frown and a twinkle in his eyes. Dahyun recognizes it like Eunwoo’s lighting bulb moment. It happens frequently, it’s like Eunwoo figures out things about the world every ten minutes and it impresses Dahyun how smart and amazing his ideas are. “You should totally do it, you have the skills and Moonbin’s company can pay a lot of money for it.” Eunwoo suggests. Well, except for this one.

The thing is, the idea was engraved into Dahyun's mind and the more she thought about it she felt like she had everything to do it, just like Eunwoo said. If she had an idea she would give it a go, put all her effort. She thought about it for weeks when the idea finally came to her mind in the most unusual and unexpected time.

When she came back from practice she found Mina playing animal cross on her switch with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu each by one of her side, engrossed in the game. Dahyun greets them briefly and rushes to the bathroom since she is sweating and smelly from training her battin all day but she doesn’t like to use the locker rooms, she prefers to shower at home. Before getting in the shower she sets the playlist Eunwoo sended her in the morning. It was a mix of piano pieces, violins and a couple of acoustic guitar.

In the middle of her shower a piano song started playing, Dahyun drowned on the intensity of feelings displayed in the piece. It was raising, heroic, brave and then heartbreaking and the fear. A journey. The song was like a intriguing, beautiful and hopeful story. That’s when it hit her. The ideia forged its way slowly coming together piece by piece in Dahyun’s mind. She closes the tap, drying herself quickly and putting some clothes. She tells Mina about her idea, the japanese slowly raises her head from the game, a little surprised but excited too. Dahyun had already shared with her about Eunwoo's idea.

They worked on the idea from that moment on. The four of them at first. Mina and Dahyun were in the computer engineering course. Chaeyoung was an art student so she drawed the scenario, characters with Dahyun's ideas. Tzuyu was a Marketing major, she would often give them opinions on how to make the story and the game more appealing. She studied the most populars and well valueded games from the last twenty months and she also studied the public.

With Dahyun’s coding skills, Mina’s player experience, Chaeyoung’s amazing designs and Tzuyu’s knowledge, they were off to a good start. As time passed and they were pulled out more and more in their work, spending every free available time in Dahyun, Tzuyu and Chaeyoung’s doors room, their other friends started getting suspicious.

First was Sana and Momo, Mina’s roommates. The two of them barged in in the other three room's, banging the door open.

“ARE YOU GUYS HAVING A FOURSOME?” Momo shouted, crossing the entrance, Sana was right behind her.

Three startled girls scream in response. Dahyun didn’t hear them since she had her back facing the door and headphones with loud piano tunes playing on it before she got hit by Chaeyoung’s computer chair when the latter kicked it away. Chaeyoung was about to sit down, coming from the bathroom when Momo and Sana scared the life out of her. Dahyun turned around, about to complain when she too noticed the intruders. She jumps a bit too, not as scared as the other three but enough to make her headphones stuck and pulled harshly. Why is Sana unnie here? Why is she looking at me- us like that?

That’s how Momo and Sana joined their ‘business’. Sana was a double major, Business and minor in Marketing. She had the same as Tzuyu but she was a junior. Momo studies Public Relationships and a minor in Performance Arts focusing on dancing. Then Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo joined them as the last addition to the unborn company.

Sana, Jihyo and Jeongyeon became their administration team. Jihyo was chasing a degree in Finance and Business, Jeongyeon was the same too. Tzuyu, Momo and Nayeon were their PR and Marketing team and the two teams would always discuss things together. Their degree becomes handing, when the creation team: Dahyun, Mina and Chaeyoung launch their beta trial. The PR team made advertising and teasers making it attractive to a gamer's eyes like Mina.

That was almost two months ago. They worked on it for six months and the game was a huge hit with so many downloads that Nayeon, Tzuyu, Sana and Momo occasionally scored so many advertisement deals. All the hard, long and strenuous work had finally paid off. Especially to Dahyun, who had to attend class, baseball practice three days a week and gym on other two and then spend late night hours on her computer programming, she would be the last to sleep to compensate for the hours Mina worked ahead earlier than her.

Fortunately, she was one of the lucky ones because she didn’t have to pay rent like Nayeon, Jeongyeon and Jihyo, the three of them shared a tiny apartment near campus because they didn’t apply for the requirements of the college's community dorms like the others. Dahyun also had a full ride scholarship so she doesn’t have to worry about the college expenses. Her parentes monthly send her money to pay for food and other necessities. Occasionally, she would lessen the burden by fixing computers or laptop for the student in exchange of a couple of bucks. At least, it was not like Momo, Tzuyu and Sana who’s parents are paying for the college tuition and their expenses. Mina’s parents are really wealthy so she’s the only one who didn’t need to worry about money like the rest or lose the scholarship like Dahyun. Chaeyoung had a job but quit to work more for the project since she was the key for the design of the game.

The PR and ADM team started to show up and pull an impressive work close to the trial launch. By the time the beta version of the game app was available in the app store, Dahyun’s bones were aching, her head was heavy with sleepless nights, she had gained her first B in her college life and almost lost an important baseball game that day. However, two months later her bank account was also increased by almost seven zeros more than before. What makes her truly happy it’s that the deal is finally over. She can lock herself up in her room and sleep until Chaeyoung and Tzuyu worry if she slipped into a coma.

They rented an old photography studio for them to work after the ‘beta trial’ in the game to launch. The studio was close to university and it was a need when they had to do the last adjustments and upgrades while the others had to study and plan proposals to company games and it became too cramped in the younger's room. The PR team scored them a few interviews so they prepared a proposal for a few apps companies before the launch. For the first time all nine of them were working together in the same place and hour for six/seven hours during seven days until tonight.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter