Chapter 8

It's Always You

It seemed like Chanyeol and Baekhyun's friendship was officially over. It was a rare sight in the past few weeks to see the two of them together. Any interaction between them was nonexistent. They didn't sit together at meals or in classes. They would be at corners of the common room every evening.  Each seemed to be giving the other as much space as possible. Which basically meant that our life was peaceful without any pranks because they're both devils when they're together.

Even someone like me, who was sick of them all the time, felt bad for them. Since they were popular, everyone including the teachers noticed this distance. But most of all, I felt bad for Junmyun. The poor boy didn't know where to go. It was unfair to drag him in the row and forcing him to take sides. But then, who am I to interfere?

However, as fate would have it, I got caught up in it nonetheless.

The next free weekend fell on somewhere in November and the students were up from early morning either for a date or a get-together. The same was the case with Yumi who was pretty excited but I decided to skip this golden opportunity. The memory of the last trip was still fresh in my mind and I didn't want to be showered with mud again. I told Yumi that much and she nodded silently. She was probably happy too that I wouldn't be the third wheel this time between her and Andrew. I totally understand it.

After breakfast, seeing off the couple, I made my way to the library to complete the history essay that I had been postponing for a week. I know I'm incredibly lame to study on a holiday. The minute I set to work, I sighed in annoyance. I had forgotten my History textbook in the common room.

Why do I bloody have to live so far from the library? My legs were burning and tiny beads of sweat were forming on my forehead as I trekked over the flight of stairs. Chanyeol appeared at the end of the corridor and he grinned as soon as he saw me.

"Mirae." He greeted me. "Why aren't you outside?" He added as he neared me.

I crossed my arms against my chest. "I could ask you the same thing."

"True."

To my irritation, he started to follow me to the common room. I stayed quiet for some time and then opened my cursed mouth again, "Did you just happen to be going this way, or are you-"

"Following you just to annoy you? No, dear, don't think that you're that special." He smirked. 

"That is a possibility."I scowled and replied shortly.

He continued the conversation. "I'm going to the common room to enjoy a relaxing Saturday. Which is what most people do when they are not hanging out. But knowing you, I think I'm not wrong to assume that you are not one of those people, right?"

"Hmm...I'm just coming to grab my book."

"I should have known that you would even consume this time for studying." He said it like I was committing a sin. "Seriously do you even need to study? You're already on the top of every class."

I rolled my eyes. "Some of us have to make some effort to stay there." I retorted and cringed inwardly almost instantly. Did I just compliment him? And imply that I was jealous of him and his grades?  As if he needs any help in inflating that ego. My stupid conscious made me add; " Besides you beat me sometimes."

Instead of replying he stopped abruptly outside the common room, "See, we can get along."

I blinked a few times before realizing what he was actually saying. Well, I was talking decently with him which believe it or not, is something that hasn't happened in the last few years since we met. A smile crept on my face. "Yeah, whatever." I entered the common room, found my book, and jumped out to find him just where I had left him.

"I thought you were going to spend a 'relaxing Saturday' today," I commented.

"Well, plans change." He smirked. Fine, I could do some company anyway.

"So, why didn't you go out today?" I inquired.

"I already told you."

"Not technically." I pointed out.

"Okay fine." Chanyeol consented. His expression hardened. "So as you know, Baek and I.....we're not exactly friends these days. Junmyun's back home and believe me, Yoori's no fun to hang out when she's in a bad mood. So...here I am." He concluded.

"Hmm, fair enough." I shrugged. "But you sure you aren't actually staying here for...I don't know maybe setting the fireworks on the roof again?" I asked innocently and he burst out in a laugh.

"Ahh...so you figured out." Then his face fell slightly. "We had planned that one prank before the term even started. That's why Baekhyun was so pissed off when I did it all by myself."

"Sorry, why are you telling me all this?" I asked, not trying to be rude.

"Don't know. Maybe because you're the third neutral party. 'Cause whenever I try to talk to Junmyun about it, he wants me to apologize and why should I do it when I'm not wrong?" He huffed arrogantly.

"First of all, you are acting like a five-year-old," I informed him. "Second, what makes you think I wouldn't ask you to do the same thing?"

A crooked smile appeared on his face. "Come on, you wouldn't want me and him to be back in business."

I sighed and stated quietly. "You do realize that you're losing your best friend over a girl."

He just mumbled a 'yeah' with his head hung low.

"And she's worth it, you think?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

He glanced at me sideways. "Things with Yoori" He answered slowly. "She's...."

Stupid? Infuriating? Ruining your life? I slowly filled in the gaps by myself.

"It's complicated." He finally muttered. 

"Not really. Either you want to stay friends with him or you date her."

"That's not fair!" He cried out.

"It is if you really-"

"Yeah, yeah I know you think she is not my type." He ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "Look, you wanna know why I like her? It's because she is pretty, she likes football and she is-"

I rolled my eyes. Bloody football. This boy has nothing in his mind other than that stupid sport. I cut him off and completed his sentence for him, "She is attractive and a complete idiot. So basically you want to date someone just like you."

"I'm not an idiot!" He protested with anger shining in those big round eyes. "This is ridiculous. Why am I even taking advice from you? You're hardly an expert having a grand total of zero boyfriends!"

I blinked, a little hurt. "Fine" I replied coolly and starting once more towards the library.

"Hang on. That was harsh. I'm sorry." He ran to catch up with me and flashed a wicked grin. I kept my mouth tightly shut.

"So you think I'm attractive?"

"I never said that."

"You did. You said that I was just like Yoori and you called her-"

"Ugghh, I didn't mean it like that." I cleared.

"It's totally okay if you do." He assured.

"Well, I don't," I replied firmly as I reached the library's door and faced him.

"Well, thanks for the advice. I mean I think there was some at least in there." He said, jokingly. I shook my head, smiling, and turned to leave but he called me back.

"Oh and Mirae? If you're so concerned about falling behind in class, I can tutor you if you want." He said, lips twitching with the hint of a smile. I wished I had something to throw at him but I couldn't find something so I spun on my heel. The echo of his laughter followed me to the quiet library.

----------------

"How was today?" I asked Yumi as she slumped on her bed.

"Oh you know, thrilling as usual." She grinned slyly.

"What?" I asked slowly.

"Andrew and I may or may not have spent most of the time making out." She announced.

"Uhh, That's gross!" I cried out with a wrinkling my nose. She laughed at my reaction. 

"Fear not. I'll spare the details. Oh, I wish you had a boyfriend too. We'd go on double dates then." She said with a dreamy smile and I snapped her out of it.

"Why is everybody reminding me today that I don't?" I wondered out loud. She looked at me in confusion and I told her about my conversation with Chanyeol. 

"You gave him relationship advice? You?!" She said incredulously. I made a face. Okay, I get it. I made a silent note in my mind: Do not opening this mouth for any relationship advice until you get yourself a boyfriend.

---------------------

"Thank God, our sleeping beauty decided to wake up. I was just about to send someone to check if you're alive." Junmyun commented when I descended from the stairs after a very long sleep. It was Sunday after all. 

I smiled. "Sorry. Needed me?" I asked looking around. Yumi, who was painting her nails, waved at me from the corner.

"Yeah, actually the Head boy called for an urgent Prefect's meeting. We need to go." 

"Ahh. Okay." I consented. "Where is everybody?" I asked looking around the empty common room. 

"The players are outside for football practice. And that means the female juniors would probably be cheering from bleachers. More like screaming." He explained with a small smile and I nodded. I grabbed the newspaper from the couch and exited the common room with him. I gasped in shock when I read the headline:

" bottles found in Kim Young Min's warehouse. Busan District Police promises to take strict action. See detail on Pg. 4."

I looked at him with widened eyes. He was watching me with a nervous expression.

"Can you believe this?" I asked, still in trauma.

"Yeah." He answered suddenly unable to meet my eyes. My eyes narrowed in curiosity. Why does he always act so unpredictable around this topic? I decided to ignite a spark to test him.

"God....this guy. He's really out of bounds. Don't you think? I think he should be punished really badly."

He opened his mouth and closed it. It kept on for a few seconds and he was at a loss of words.  "Junmyun? I'm talking to you?"

"Oh yeah. I was just answering. Umm.. you're right." He said. I smiled a little in victory. That's it. This is what has been bothering him so much. Now all I needed was to find out what really this all is about.

I heard a couple of guys calling us from the hallway. We looked over to find the football players returning with Chanyeol in the lead. As the boys greeted Junmyun and me, Andrew spoke up.

"Hey, did you guys hear about the robbery in Coffee Corner  yesterday?" Our heads shot in his direction questioningly. Coffee Corner was the cafe in the area very popular among our students.

"Do you know those guys. . . uhh, what were the names? Oh yeah, it was Lee Taeyang, Oh Sehun, and another one. They were behind it. But somebody spotted them at the last minute and caught them red-handed. I can't believe someone from this school would be such a disgrace. I'm surprised you guys don't know already. It's all over the school. And I heard that they have been suspended from the school." Andrew completed.

My breath which was already heavy, hitched in my throat. Suspended?  My eyes unconsciously looked over at Chanyeol, who was already looking at me with a concerned expression. A silent conversation occurred in our eyes as we both realized what was actually being planned in those vacant classrooms. Sadness and grief were taking over me. 

"Mirae, isn't one of them your friends?" One of them asked. I was in no condition to answer such a sensitive question. But Chanyeol thankfully jumped in to defend me.

"Whatever he does is in no way related to her. They aren't close anymore. And why should we pry in their matter? The Heads can take the decision." 

I smiled a little at him. Is he the same person whose favorite pastime was bullying Sehun? Noticing my discomfort, Junmyun excused us and we walked our way to the meeting. I could sense he wanted to say a few words of condolence but I'm happy he didn't or I would have teared up. The meeting passed in a blur. It mostly revolved around the recent 'robbery incident' and instructed us to be more strict now.

----------

I spent the whole evening in the library burying myself under books thinking that if I did that, I might forget it. Also because I wasn't ready to face anyone before I had accepted the fact myself. Yumi did come to see me and talk to me about it. But I wanted to be alone and asked her to give me some space and she, respecting my request, left me alone. However that night, I did end up talking about it to someone without meaning to. Someone very unexpected.

It was about 1:00 a.m in the morning when I left the library hoping the common room would be empty, which to my relief was empty. I still wasn't in the mood to sleep so I started reading a long-lost book I had found in my room. I was looking where I had left when I discovered a piece of paper stuck in it. I recognized the untidy slanting scribble in a second. Sehun had left it in this book sometime in the last semester. I took a long breath and reread it.

To the most annoying prefect,

Meet me under the peach trees beside your dorm. I wanna tell you something. And if any of those bubble teas that I gifted you are left, then bring 'em along with you. I'm starving for it so much that I don't care I'm taking my gift back. 

From,
You-know-who-I-am.

I didn't realize that tears were flowing from my eyes. I miss the times when we were this close and frank. I remember all the fun we had that evening. He didn't have anything particular to tell me that day. It was just a way to arise curiosity in me. We had gossiped for about 2 hours drinking his bubble tea. I sighed heavily. Why is it that the people who should be so close to me, are drifting away? First Unni, then him. 

I didn't want to stop myself now. There wasn't anyone in the common room anyway and how long could I keep up with this strong barrier? All day, I restrained myself from crying my eyes out, from even thinking about it. It's been about 6 months from the day we ended things, and he's already suspended. I wonder when will I be able to see him again. And then his Dad. I hope this news doesn't reach him. He will be distraught. I let my thoughts wander to our childhood while sobbing lightly on the sofa.

"Holy , who is there... Mirae?" I heard a worried voice from the entrance. I hastily wiped my face and turned to see Baekhyun coming towards me.

"No, no. I'm fine." I said but my shaky, unstable voice gave me away. He sat beside me. I looked to see if he was with other friends before I remembered he wasn't on good terms with them. And a lonely Baekhyun looks so timid. As innocent as an angel.

"Of course you aren't." He declared. But I shook my head in denial.

"What are you doing up this late?"I asked him with my bossy side .

"It's Sehun, isn't it?" He asked quietly. When I didn't say anything, he understood.

"I...uhh. I heard about him. I'm sorry, Mirae." For a second I thought he was mocking me, but his genuine expression told me otherwise.

"No, it's fine," I said, fidgeting with my sweater.

"Really? If it's so fine then why do you look like you've been crying for hours?" He demanded. "You can cry if you want to. Don't stop because of me."

And that was all it took to unleash my tears again.

Baekhyun just sat there all the time even though I insisted him to leave. But he said that Chanyeol would kill him if he left me crying alone which made no sense to me. Apparently, he was very confused about how to console me and had zero experience in this field. He kept patting my back and tried to say things that might make me feel better and it wasn't working at all. 

"He tried to steal! Can you believe it? He's my friend, for heaven's sake! It's all my fault, isn't it. I should have known." I said between my sobs. This situation made no sense to me. It's not like he was financially lacking. Why did he do it? "I shouldn't have given up on him that day. I should have kept an eye on him."

It's really very ironic, to be honest. Here, I was crying my heart out to him and telling him how much I missed Sehun and our friendship and how painful it is to see your best friend turn into a monster while Baekhyun was the one who bullied him the whole time.

"Look Mirae, I'm sure he'll be back. I heard he's only suspended for two weeks or so." 

He kept saying that uncertainly, as he rubbed circles on my back. After half an hour or so, I composed myself after I felt that my heart was as light as a feather. And I must say, him being here was very helpful, though he didn't do much but having someone to tell your fears and problems is very comforting. And Baekhyun surely proved to be a good listener.

"Thanks," I said quietly, silently promising myself to pay back this favor.

"No need. Don't put the blame on yourself."

I shook my head. "I am partly responsible for his doings." 

"That's what we all think. After someone close to us starts decaying like this, we think we're responsible for it. We assume that maybe if we had paid them more attention, been nicer, and cared for them a little more then it wouldn't have happened. But it doesn't work like this, Mirae. How long are you going to blame yourself?"

I stared at him. He sounded so wise suddenly. I didn't know he was able to make a serious conversation too. There was no usual shine in those eyes. Judging from this grave expression, I could tell he was speaking from experience.

"Who was it?" I whispered. He looked taken aback for a second but understood. I hoped he would share as I had done with him.

"My brother." He whispered in a lost voice. I gasped in surprise. Sensing my curiosity, he explained.

"He is a drug addict." He sighed heavily and continued. "Not illegal drugs but still the ones which can cause a lot of damage. He is pretty older than me so I never meddled in his matters but still we're close so I was the first one to discover his little secret. But I didn't understand it. He told me to keep quiet and that's what I did. My father became a little suspicious but I kept lying to him. Little did I know that Hyung was slowly killing himself."

"What about now?" I asked still in shock.

"Dad found out a few weeks ago. Hyung is now in a rehabilitation center. But they aren't sure if he will ever be better enough to leave. Eomma cries herself to sleep every night because her eldest son destroyed all chances of his life and their happy future." He stopped abruptly and started breathing heavily. I patted his back.

"Remember when I told you at the start of the term that I crashed my Dad's car?" He asked. I racked my brains trying to remember.

"Yeah. So?"

"It wasn't me. It was hyung but I had taken the blame on myself. We both were out for a night and he got drunk again. But at that time, he was suicidal. He knowingly tried to hit the car with a metal post." He swallowed and added. "That's when I realized that there was no way back. I hadn't known until then that keeping his secret would mess up with our lives so badly."

I pulled him for a hug. I had no idea what to say. He was at a place worse than mine. 

"Only if I knew that it would cost us so heavily, I would never have let him rot," he said in a shaky voice.

"Stop it. Don't do this to yourself."

"I try." He said with a little smile. 

That night, I felt like there was a special bond between us. Although tomorrow we'll be back to our old selves. Him joking and me bossing around but I don't think I'll ever be able to forget this night. 

"Chanyeol is going to be so jealous when I'll tell him that you cried over your problems and hugged me before you did with him. Ah, his face will be priceless." 

Okay, I was wrong. he is already back to his old self.

I rolled my eyes. "Did you guys patch up already?"

"No."

"One of you should apologize," I advised.

"You sound like Junmyun." He whined. I smiled with the feeling of Deja vu taking over me. That's the same thing Chanyeol had said.

"Be chill. It's not like he is going to marry her." I tried to make sense.

"True. I'll think about it. He grinned.  "But he is still dating the girlfriend from hell."

I cracked up in laughter. 

Maybe Baekhyun wasn't as annoying as he seemed.

-------------------------------------------

I try my best to keep the chapters shorter, but, well, it's not that easy for me :D

A/N: Do you like where the story is going?
If you like this chapter then do consider voting for it! Leave a comment, Thanks!