BBQ

What is Love?
Please log in to read the full chapter

BBQ

 

Sehun thought it was bizarre that the both of them were donning masks and hats but she was wearing a cute hat which looked more of a fashion statement rather than a disguise but he had to wear a black hat making him oddly noticeable.

People had been giving him curious stares for quite some time now that he was beginning to think it'll be alright to take off the hat at least.

"Can I take off the hat?" He thought it'd be wiser to ask her first.

She pursed her lips, pausing on her activities and watched him intently almost like studying him. He felt rather under her scrutiny.

"Alright I guess." She finally consents while dumping the packages of lettuce heads into the cart making him heave a sigh and taking the hat off. They wanted to have barbecue tonight and Sehun really did not want her to go alone so on that sunny afternoon, they were shopping in their neighbourhood mart.

"Wait here," she suddenly stops making him stop the cart as well. "I'll be right back."

Her eyes had zeroed onto something a little further away and as she cutely dashed to find that item, Sehun waited for her with the cart rather amused.

Living with her was something easy. She was quite adorable in her own ways and so very mature. Sometimes he wondered if she was even older than him. There was an air of ease around her that make you automatically relax when with her. It had been only a month with each other but they both felt at ease with each other save for some awkward situations here and there so he thinks they were good friends… at least?

Besides the maturity though, there was also a childish side of her which Sehun thinks is quite endearing.

"Sehun?" A voice brings him out of his thought. His head swung from the direction she had disappeared to where the voice came from.

"Jongin? What the hell?" Sehun couldn't help but say that out loud. Drat! Why on earth was Jongin here?

"Wow. Way to greet your best buddy in the entire universe." Jongin saunters to him, puts a hand around his shoulders, "so here with your wifey? I'm sure you'll never, ever cook and I know because I've lived with you for 5 years. Heck! I know you more than your wife so I kinda feel betrayed that you would take out your wife for shopping while you never even came to help me."

Rolling his eyes, Sehun shoots a worried glance around the corner she'd disappeared into.

"No. I'm here alone. Come let's go to the meat section. Now." Sehun commands, making Jongin open his mouth acting appalled. “Also you never asked me to come along.”

"Whatever. You would have turned me down anyway but to think the dear old miser Sehun is out here shopping alone? Dear, dear!  Who are you and what have you done to my friend?"

"Shut up and hurry." Sehun speed-walks towards the opposite direction as fast as his legs could carry him.

"Whoa... the meat will be there even if you walk slowly, my friend." Jongin gasped for air dramatically. "Any way," Jongin suddenly calmed down and craned his neck to look around. "I thought I saw someone... But I don't think you'll know her."

Sehun nearly, nearly crashed his cart into a stand but saved it at the last second. Did he see Kina?

Clearing his throat and stopping his steps, he turned to Jongin acting as nonchalant as he could possibly get.

"Your house is about 3 miles away in the opposite direction so why are you here?"

It was summer, in its blazing heat which meant summer break. Jongin should be at home right now.

"Geez." Jongin looked hurt, "Can't I just be here? It's not a crime you know."

"No... I mean-" Sehun panicked a little, guilt suddenly growing on him. It was not like he wanted to let Jongin be in the dark but the situation compels him so.

"I know what you mean. I'm only pulling your leg." He gave his signature booming laughter at that making Sehun equally annoyed and relieved. He can never get used to that stupid laughter. "I'm here because my cousin lives in the M building. Speaking of which, you most probably live somewhere in this area. Right?"

Sehun sighs deeply. This Jongin really butted his nose into places he shouldn't. Jongin seemed to have read his face as he raised his hands up.

"Geez. No need to be so uptight. I won't barge in. Of course, why trust your friend of 13 years who's been with you through ups and downs and who's been so faithfully trusting in you and who's-"

"Okay. I get it." Sehun really felt his eyes getting loose from all the eye rolls he had been doing. "I moved into the Y building. I'll definitely take you to visit but give me some time. I need to adjust with the new roommate before I introduced her to my friend."

Jongin lets out an audible gasp and dramatically leaves his jaw hanging.

Sehun sighs gritting his teeth, "What now?"

"You call your wife roommate? Wow. Such goals! Such a romantic! Shakespeare who?"

"URGH! How are you even an economist?"

 

***

 

Kina watched with blaring panic as Sehun dragged her professor away. What on earth was he doing here during summer break when everything about university was left behind? This place was bought strictly because it did not have any student or teacher from their K university. Surely he does not live here, does he?

Perhaps it'd be better if she walked out of here and let him buy the remaining ingredients himself. It would be a disaster if her professor finds out.

Taking out her phone, adjusting her hat even lower, she texted him exactly what he needs to buy and how much he needed to buy. She had come over because of a certain sauce but it looked like it was going to be checked out alone.


***

 

His phone buzzed in his pocket. He was about 60 percent sure it was Kina but right now if he takes it out, her name will be displayed and knowing Jongin to be extremely nosy, he would see it for sure.

"Uhhh... I still have to get the meat and go home. See you." Sehun says as fast as his tongue allowed him to and tried to dash off but Jongin was faster.

"You don't even know what meat to buy, do you?"

Frankly speaking he had no idea but the only thing Sehun wanted right now was to escape from Jongin and check the message and see what she has sent.

But thankfully the moment they reached the meat section, Jongin went full chef mode and focused his attention on the meat leaving Sehun be.

The first thing he did was not look at the text but change the name as soon as possible.

‘Kina Lee changed to Wifey’

He lets out an air of relief. Now he can safely check the message without been worried.

"Please give me a kilo of pork belly from P brand."

"Do I look like the shopkeeper?" Jongin snaps at him. "Get it yourself! Geez man."

Sehun feeling dumb scanned his eyes on the labels. He had to go look at the several rows of raw meat when he finally found it.

"I'm done." He announced, feeling somehow proud that he was done. "I'll be checking it out. See you in College... I am sure you will also be taking up summer classes, right?"

Jongin shakes his head. “Nope. I am a free bird for the entirety of summer break.”

“What? Why did you not tell me? I would have taken a break too.”

Jongin gives another one of his booming laughter and comes to tackle Sehun who simply swats his hand away with a grimace. How on earth could someone be so annoying?

“I was only kidding. I am just glad to know that my friend still remembers me.”

Sehun rolls his eyes for the millionth time and turns to leave with a goodbye.

"Whoa!" Sehun turns back to look Jongin who had let out a dramatic sound, "Some friend, aren't you? You come here to buy dinner food but not even an invitation."

"Aren't you having dinner with your cousin?"

"Oh right." Jongin seemed to have forgotte

Please log in to read the full chapter