nine

The Unexpected Fall

 

8 Months Ago...

The day after Seulgi punched Nayeon

 

 

 

Nayeon made sure to think properly about her decisions the whole night and she decided she’ll fight for Irene. She likes her so much she’s willing to even run away with her just like what her girlfriend told her the other night. She texted Irene to meet her in the spot at the park in the city so they can talk properly about them, which Irene agreed and meet her at 2 in the afternoon.

 

Nayeon had arrived 10 minutes early, rehearsing what she’ll say to Irene but an hour has passed and their is still no sign of the other girl. 

 

One became two,

 

Two became three,

 

And it was already night but Nayeon was still waiting. She hoped Irene was just stuck in a traffic or busy in his father’s office.

 

Oh who is she kidding. Irene doesn’t live far away, in fact, she only lives ten minutes away from the park. 

 

She sighed and was about to walk away when a person stood in front of her stopping her from doing so. She looked up to see the same man from yesterday at the bakery shop. 

 

“Ms. Irene ordered me to tell you that she couldn’t come.” He said blankly as if he has no emotions at all. “Sorry for the inconvenience.” he bowed. But Nayeon knew this was fake. All fake.

 

She scoffs, “You should’ve told me earlier.” then she looks up at the dark sky. It was already night. “And why? Why couldn’t she come?” 

 

The man looks at her, “She’s busy.” 

 

“With who?” 

 

“Ms. Seulgi,”

 

“I guess she doesn’t want me anymore, huh? You know...I was willing to fight for her but I think I already know what she wanted.” 

 

And for a brief second, the man in front of her felt pity for Nayeon.  

 

“I’ll be going now. I still have work to do.” 

 

 

 

The familiar white walled room surrounding her made her feel uneasy but she was already used to it. She just didn’t like the vibe she was feeling whenever she visits her mother at the hospital. But she has to. For her mother. The one who stayed when life got messy. Unlike her father, the one who she sees as her hero, left. With no trace at all.

 

Holding her mother’s hand bringing up to her cheek as she leans on it, Nayeon looks at her mother in hopes she wakes up. She turns to look at the table beside her mother’s hospital bed, an untouched fruits she brought the last time she visited and flowers that was nearly dying, sitting on the table with a letter she wrote for her back then. It was a welcome back letter for her. Nayeon thought it would make her mom laugh whenever she wakes up as she loves Nayeon’s corny jokes. 

 

“I miss you, mom.” 

 

She kissed her mother’s forehead one last time before standing up, walking to the door ready to leave when someone from the other side opens it.

 

“Yujin, what took you so long?” Nayeon jokingly says as she moves aside for the younger. Yujin, their cute neighbor was the one looking after her mother whenever it was the weekends. Yujin is like a family to them that’s why she agreed and the other reason was: “I like visiting because I get to do my homework properly and of course, the air conditioner!” 

 

“Unnie, that stupid dog around the neighborhood chased me until I was forced to climb a tree!” Yujin complains settling her things on the table below the tv. “Aaaaand I went to your bakery to grab some snacks. Oppa was there and he was waiting for you.” she continues as she turn on the tv, munching some bread. 

 

“I’ll be going now, Yujin.” Nayeon didn’t wait anymore response since the younger was busy watching the tv. 

 

Walking down the hallway, Nayeon always looks at the door window of each patient’s room, smiling seeing the patient smiles as their family visits them. 

 

She was busy looking when she didn’t see a man — or a doctor perhaps, bumped into her. She immediately apologized, bowing multiple times without looking at the person in front of her completely embarrassed then walks away once she handed him the clip board. 

 

“I see you still don’t remember me, Nayeon-ah..” he mumbled to himself watching Nayeon walks away. 

 

 

 

 

“Oppa!” Nayeon runs as soon as she sees her adoptive father, Lee Min Ho, standing outside the bakery talking to an old lady who seemed to be very familiar. Once Nayeon stood beside him, she thought the old lady was familiar indeed. It was the same woman who came to buy cake for her birthday the other day. 

 

“Hello.” Nayeon bows to greet the old lady. “I remember you, grandma. You were the one who bought a cake!” she smiled showing her bunny teeth. 

 

The old lady and Lee Min Ho exchange looks. He shook his head when Nayeon looks away to greet a baby. 

 

“Not now..” He mouthed. Then he turns to Nayeon who was busy entertaining the baby. “Nayeon, go inside now the customers are here. Don’t worry I already cleaned the tables and the floor.” 

 

Nayeon excused herself and went inside leaving the two elders outside. 

 

“Look how much she has grown. My Nayeonie..” The old lady smiled, which made him smile too. “Oh, I’ve missed her so much. You know, the moment I saw her, I instantly she was my granddaughter.” 

 

“But how can she not remember you? Or her father? What happened if you don’t mind me asking.” He said then turns to Nayeon who was busy serving the customers. 

 

“When she was little...Nayeon and her father got into an accident. A really bad one which caused her to lose her memories. Let’s say...childhood memories. The reason she can’t remember me is because after Nayeon was brought to the hospital, her father suddenly disappeared when she was in a short coma. Only her mother was there for her..” The old lady sighed.

 

“What about you? How can see not remember you?” 

 

“I didn’t know..” she looks at him with sad eyes. “I didn’t know they got into an accident. I was visiting my husband’s grave abroad and stayed there for years to take care of the house. And when I came back, Nayeon’s mother, Yoona, my son’s wife, I saw her at the market once and asked her about how was her and her family was doing and that’s how I knew. I have a picture of Yoona.” she opens her bag and hands a picture to the taller guy. 

 

“Nayeon looks exactly like her mother..” he smiled. “Except for the bunny teeth part.” they both laugh. “Maybe we should tell her next time once her mother wakes up.” he added and the old lady nods.

 

“Oppa! I think I broke the oven!” 

 

“That’s my cue to leave. See you next time..Miss?”

 

“Just call me Grandma. Just like how Nayeonie used to call me..” 

 

He nodded, “See you next time, grandma.” 

 

 

 

 

“Nayeon! Finish him off!” Mark screamed outside the ring, cheering for Nayeon. 

 

She gave him a quick nod before punching the guy with all her strength knocking him out. As soon as the her opponent dropped unconscious on the ground, she follows as her leg weakens. Mark immediately climb up the ring running to Nayeon to give her a hug and congratulate her for winning then helped her up slowly escorted her to the chair.

 

“You did great, Nayeon! You really knocked him out! You even has less bruises now! Good work!” He patted Nayeon’s back (too hard making her cough). “Now, let’s get you dressed and leave this place and never come back!” 

 

Once they were in Mark’s car, Nayeon was busy counting the money for her mother’s hospital bills when Mark suddenly screamed.

 

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” Nayeon punches him in the shoulder making him groan in pain.

 

“I suddenly remembered the video I showed you last time,” he screamed, clapping his hands. “I totally ship it!”

 

“You’re an idiot!” 

 

“You were so bold kissing the only daughter of the Myouis, huh?” He smirked completely teasing the girl beside him. 

 

“It wasn’t on the lips!” Nayeon raised her voice. “I only kissed her because she was rambling!” 

 

“Yeah, right.” Mark said sarcastically. “But who took the video, though? The video showed before you guys kissed so that was definitely someone trying to ruin your reputation. If there’s even to ruin.” He laughs earning another punch from the younger. “But seriously. Someone was stalking you. Or Mina.” 

 

“Maybe.” 

 

“Are you going to find out who took the video? I’ll help you! Detective Tuan on the hou— Ow!” he rubs his head. 

 

“Shut up! Irene’s there!” Nayeon said, slowly sliding herself down from her seat. 

 

“Huh? O—oh!” Mark copies Nayeon. “What is she doing here? This is a secret place!” 

 

“I don’t know. But it looks like she’s looking for someone.” Nayeon turns to Mark who was already looking at her then a knock on the car’s door was heard. Nayeon sat up back straight as soon as she sees it was Irene. 

 

She pressed the button to slide down her window. “What do you want?” 

 

“Can I talk to you?” Irene pleads. 

 

“Okay. But now here. Get inside.” 

 

 

 

 

Nayeon looked around the place once they entered Irene’s apartment. Memories of them started flooding her thoughts but she chose to ignore them. She sat a bit further from Irene because she knows how this girl could get clingy once they sit together, like: clinging into her arm, leaning her head on her shoulder and playing with her fingers. 

 

And it was too familiar.

 

Nayeon felt like it happened recently.

 

(And it did, with Mina)

 

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry for what I did back then. I’m sorry I stood you up.” Irene looks down on her lap. “I know you don’t want me back...but,” she looks at Nayeon, “C—can we try, again? You and me?” 

 

“Don’t you have Seulgi already?” Nayeon crossed her arms and her legs staring back at Irene. “And besides, why would I get back with you? I’m already happy with—“

 

Irene cuts her off, “Myoui Mina. It’s her, right? Your new play thing?” she smirked. She knew Nayeon’s past. 

 

“She’s not my play thing!” Nayeon raised her voice making Irene flinch. “If this is what you want to talk about then I’m leaving.” 

 

Nayeon waits no more response as she head straight to the front door with Irene following her, pleading for her to stay. Telling her how she’s sorry for what she said about Mina but Nayeon ignored her and continued walking until she reaches Mark’s car. 

 

On the corner of Irene’s eye, she saw a familiar figure in her place ready to do her job. So she grabbed Nayeon’s wrist before she could even open the door, turns her around smashing their lips together. She forcefully placed Nayeon’s hands on her waist and she placed hers on her shoulder. 

 

Irene felt her heart broke into pieces when Nayeon didn’t kissed back. 

 

But she put that aside and continued. 

 

Nayeon pushed Irene, wiping her lips with her jacket. “Why the did you do that?!” 

 

“I—I miss you..” Irene wraps Nayeon into a hug and another click was heard but this time Nayeon immediately untangled her and went straight inside the car slamming it hard and Mark didn’t think twice and left. 

 

Irene looked over to her side to see the same person standing, raising her camera and giving her a thumbs up. She rolled her eyes while smirking as she walks back inside her apartment. 

 

-

 

NO PROOFREAD!

sorry for any mistakes