fourteen

The Unexpected Fall

 

The sun was about to set. Sitting on a rock near the water, Nayeon finds it calming. So calming making her forget all her problems for a moment. She finds the other students also by the shore taking pictures of the sunset and others were playing around like little kids. The beach does really make everyone happy even if it’s just a little while. It makes you not worry about the things happening in your life.

 

Maybe staying for a while until the sky turns dark doesn’t seem bad as long as the feeling of peacefulness is with Nayeon the whole time.

 

Or not.

 

The sky did turned dark. Dark gray. And bullets of rain started falling from the sky. Groaning to herself, Nayeon turns her body with her hands flat on the rock helping herself to stand and started running to avoid getting more wet as she is now.

 

“, , .” She chants as she runs trying to find a shed to protect herself from the rain.

 

Nayeon finds herself running towards a big canopy swing under a big tree. She sat down wiping herself with her hands as she shivers in cold. “Well, so much for a peaceful day.” She sighed to herself, crossing her arms staring at the beach in front of her.

 

The moment it turned dark, street lights started turning on one by one like a domino that was pushed after stacking them. The buildings behind her also blare its light making the place looks more beautiful than it already is. Nayeon reaches out her hand in the air to feel the rain but luckily there were no rain pouring anymore.

 

So, she started making her way back to the hotel.

 

 

 

 

Mina was using her phone on her side of the bed while her other three roommates were talking about anything they could come up with. They made a new addition to their friends, Park Jihyo, the student council’s president. They got along pretty quickly just as soon as they entered their room with just an exchange of hellos.

 

“Mina, what do you want to eat? We’re ordering.” Jihyo calls her while Sana types in the number that Momo was chanting.

 

Mina lowers her phone, “Chicken.” Then brings her phone up to her face again continuing her game. “Also extra ketchup.”

 

Sana started ordering their food on the phone while Momo was telling her the orders when suddenly someone knocks on the door. “I’ll get it!” Jihyo announced.

 

Mina glanced at the door to see who Jihyo was talking to but Jihyo was blocking the view. “Who is it?” Mina asked. Jihyo turns to her, “It’s Tzuyu.” Mina nods.

 

Tzuyu is Jihyo’s girlfriend and a freshman.

 

“Come in.” Jihyo moves to let Tzuyu enter their room, “Dahyun! Chaeyoung! Come back here!” she yelled.

 

Tzuyu greets the Japanese trio then sat down on the bed while the two of her friends was being dragged by Jihyo inside their room.

 

“Why are you not in your room?” Momo asks taking a glance at Tzuyu then her gaze traveled to Chaeyoung not forgetting to give her a glare. “And you! Where were you?” Momo softly slaps her girlfriend’s shoulder. The rest of the girls in the room exchange confused looks.

 

“Wait. You guys are dating?” Sana ask. “Momo, is she the girlfriend you didn’t told us about?” she crosses her arms. Mina turns off her phone then mimics Sana’s action.

 

Momo laughs, “Yeah. I was about to tell you guys!”

 

“That’s why you didn’t want to enter the room. You were dragging me away from here!” Dahyun slaps Chaeyoung’s head.

 

“But how long have you two been together?” Tzuyu asks as she softens the bed then lays on it with an arm behind her head.

 

“A month.” Both Momo and Chaeyoung said in unison. “But you didn’t answer my question. Why aren’t you in your room?” she turns to Chaeyoung.

 

“Apparently our roommate has the key and she isn’t there yet.” Tzuyu said casually. “Dahyun text your cousin who our roommate is so we can find her.”

 

“On it.” Dahyun picks up her phone from her pocket then started typing. The girls went back to their business while they wait for Dahyun. Momo and Chaeyoung, now that their friends knows their relationship, went all lovey-dovey in front of them despite Sana’s whines. Jihyo went to cuddle Tzuyu on her shared bed with Mina leaving Mina and Sana on their own. No girlfriends. But Sana has someone in her mind. Someone on their phone.

 

“Aha!” Dahyun yelled making everyone jump in surprise. “I know who is she. And you won’t believe who.” she grins at Tzuyu and Chaeyoung.

 

“Who?” The two youngest in the SMC turns their full attention to Dahyun away from their whiny girlfriends.

 

“Im Nayeon.” Now that all caught everyone’s attention including Mina who was so busy playing an online game on her phone.

 

Chaeyoung and Tzuyu runs to sit beside Dahyun stealing her phone and started typing.

 

“Why do three seem so excited? Are you crushing on her?” Sana asks but her eyes weren’t on the three but on Mina who perks up at the question.

 

“No, no, no! Babe, Jihyo, that’s not—“ Tzuyu was cut off from a pillow thrown at her. And Chaeyoung keeps shaking her head at Momo but only received a glare from her lover.

 

“Oh my god! Momo and Jihyo unnie calm down. Your girlfriend doesn’t have a crush on Nayeon!” Dahyun laughs irritating the already irritated Momo and Jihyo.

 

“Then what?” Mina asked sounding to eager to know the real reason. She must admit that the thought of these three girls crushing on Nayeon seemed to make Mina’s blood boil. But of course she won’t show it since Dahyun made it clear that it wasn’t the reason.

 

“You know the photo of Im and Irene going around the campus? The one that was posted on twitter?” Everyone’s attention was on Dahyun — including Chaeyoung and Tzuyu though they already know.

 

“It seemed like it was a set up and we saw how Irene forced Nayeon unnie’s hand on her waist and then Boom—! Someone took a photo behind a bush.” she added.

 

“Were you sure it was a set up?” Momo asked side eyeing Mina who seemed to be frozen in place.

 

Chaeyoung nodded, “Yes we are sure. We saw the whole thing.”

 

“Then what was Nayeon doing in Irene’s apartment?” Jihyo asks to which the two older Japanese girls nodded.

 

“We don’t know but Nayeon unnie was mad when she walked out of the door and Irene was chasing after her.” Tzuyu sighs. “But were a hundred percent sure it was a set up. And the reason why we got so excited when we found out that she was our roommate was because we wanted to help her.”

 

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure Nayeon unnie’s girlfriend broke up with her because of that.” Chaeyoung nodded.

 

Momo, Sana and Jihyo turns to Mina who was blushing so hard. Mina ignored them and locks her eyes on her pillow that was on her lap.

 

“How did you know she has a girlfriend?” Momo smirks still looking at Mina. Sana covers to stop herself from laughing while Jihyo was already laughing but as silent as possible.

 

“Oh! Because we saw them riding Nayeon unnie’s scooter. We didn’t saw her girlfriend’s face since she was seating at the front while unnie was driving. It looked dangerous but at the same time, fun!” Chaeyoung laughs while her two other friends followed completely oblivious at their laughing girlfriends.

 

“So you gotta have to talk to her now.” Jihyo leans in to whisper on Mina’s ear as she pats her shoulder then went grabby hands on her girlfriend asking for cuddles.

 

Yeah, I certainly do need to talk to her.

 

I should have listened.

 

 

 

 

Nayeon sits on her bed waiting for her roommates to arrive.

 

Her roommates who are busy with their girlfriend next door.

 

 

 

 

“Please have fun girls!” Mrs. Kim waves her hand at the students leaving the hotel’s lobby.

 

Last night Nayeon did meet her roommates but they weren’t saying anything and it creeped Nayeon. Maybe they’re just tired. She convinced herself. So she just went to sleep as soon as they entered the room. She didn’t who they were and it seemed like they were still freshmen. She heard them talking about helping something or someone but didn’t mention any name. Nayeon was hella curious.

 

They walk in groups but Nayeon decided to go on a different direction, walking to where Mark’s hotel was that was surprisingly just right beside theirs.

 

“Mark!” She called as soon as she sees the boy walking outside from the hotel. Mark waves at her with a big smile on his face. “Hey. Did you have a good night sleep? You look very happy.” Nayeon nudges him and they started walking to the beach in front of their hotels.

 

“Yes I did, thank you for asking.” He wraps his hand around Nayeon’s shoulder. “What about you? How are your roommates?”

 

“Hmm.” Nayeon shrugs.

 

“What do you mean hmm?”

 

“I think they’re freshmen. And we didn’t really talk or introduced ourself last night and I just went to sleep.” Nayeon holds the hand that was hanging from her shoulder.

 

“And I tried talked to Mina last time...” she added.

 

“And? Did it go well?”

 

Nayeon stopped at looked at Mark, “If it went well then why am I still here?”

 

Mark sways his hips to Nayeon then started walking again, “Stupid. But are you going to try again?”

 

“Of course. I can’t afford to lose her. I won’t let it happen again.” Nayeon sighed.

 

“You really like her, huh?”

 

Nayeon nodded, “Very much.”

 

The Mark’s friends started calling him.

 

“Go.” Nayeon said practically shooing him with her hand.

 

“Are you sure? You don’t mind being alone? I can just stay with you—“

 

“Just go!” She pushed him away, laughing at his concerned face. “I’ll be fine.” then she waves her hand at Mark who started walking to his friends.

 

Nayeon watch her best friend as he walks. Then sighed to herself and started walking as well letting her feet lead to where she was going.

 

And she ended up in the rock where she was sitting yesterday.

 

But this time she wasn’t staring at the water.

 

She was staring at the girl she really lo— likes. The girl she likes. Myoui Mina.

 

She and her friends were playing on the sand and Mina was smiling the whole time making Nayeon smile as well. She’s happy to see Mina being happy even if she is not the reason.

 

But what Nayeon doesn’t know was there were group of boys and girls walking towards her with a not-so-great prank up their sleeves.

 

Just as she was about to stand up, she felt hands grabbing her arms and out of panic, she turns her head to see and it was Seulgi’s friends and two guys she doesn’t remember who.

 

“What are you doing?” Nayeon tried to free herself from their grip and the students near them were watching and some were recording the situation.

 

“Dragging you into the water.” Seulgi whispers in her ear as she felt herself getting lift up from the ground. She struggled moving her legs as someone was already holding it like she was going to get cooked alive.

 

“! Stop!” Nayeon screamed at the top of her lungs. She turns to see the students weren’t doing anything to help her but they were laughing at her.

 

“P—please stop!” She scream at the top of he lungs enough for Mina to hear.

 

Mina watches Nayeon being carried to the water. She stood up from the ground ready to do whatever she was about to do.

 

“Don’t, please! I can’t swim!” Nayeon screamed while the students carrying her was just laughing at her like she was just joking around.

 

Mina walks closer to where the people are starting to gather with her friends following behind her.

 

Nayeon was shaking when they started going deep into the water. She was breathing heavily and preparing herself from the impact of the water.

 

Everything was starting to get blurry for Nayeon and her heart was racing. She sees Mina walking towards them before she felt water suddenly surrounding her. She straightened her legs trying to reach the ground but there was no use and she was already down deep in the water trying to swim. She moves her hand desperately as the people around only watches including Mina...who was— removing her shirt and running...towards her.

 

But she got tired. There was no use. No one was helping her.

 

No one..

 

..was helping her.

 

And that’s when everything went black.

 

 

 

 

Mina holds the towel wrapped around her shivering body as her friends tried to calm her down. Her eyes wandered everywhere. The ambulance arrived after Mina brought Nayeon’s unconscious body on the ground immediately giving her the mouth to mouth. She tried pumping her hands on her chest and luckily Nayeon coughs out some water but her eyes was still closed. But Mina tried again and again, and again before she was pulled away by Momo and Sana and the paramedics brought Nayeon inside the vehicle.

 

“She’ll be okay, Mina.” Jihyo reassured her wrapping her arms around her waist and leaning her head on her shoulder.

 

The ambulance’s back door opens revealing a paramedic. Mina runs towards him while her friends follows.

 

“H—how is she? Is she awake now?” Mina asked, tightening her grip on the towel.

 

The paramedic smiled, “She’s fine now.” he laughs leaving the girls confused.

 

“W—why are you laughing? Is this something to laugh about?” Mina raised her voice as she glare at the man in front of her.

 

He smiled, “Well she did say something before passing out again then snored loudly.”

 

“What?” Mina frowns.

 

“Something about telling Mina to kiss her again. Now, who’s Mina?” He smirks looking at the girl in front of him already knowing who Nayeon was talking about. “Let me guess. It’s you.” he points at Mina.

 

Mina nodded as her face turns to deep shade of red.

 

“No need to worry, Mina. Your girlfriend is fine now and she’s just sleeping because she got tired from swimming too much. You can bring her back to your hotel room now.”

 

“She wasn’t swimming she was carried to the water.” Sana butts in the conversation. “We heard her shouting about not knowing how to swim and the people carrying her was laughing and thought she was just lying.”

 

“Yes, and we know who they were.” Jihyo said eyeing a certain group of friends from the distant completely unbothered by the whole act they did that left a person unconscious.

 

The paramedic looks at his wrist watch, “Well, we need to go now. You girls need a ride to the hotel?”

 

They nodded.

 

“Then let’s go!”

 

 

 

no proofread.