twelve

The Unexpected Fall

 

Nayeon checks herself in the mirror as soon as she got dressed. A smile plastered on her face and a plastic bag in her hand, and she was ready to leave. She made sure everything was okay before she left the bakery shop. Hopping into her scooter while humming happy songs and carefully putting the pastries on the basket in front of her.

 

What happened yesterday was already forgotten as Nayeon was busy day dreaming about Mina.

 

Nayeon stopped in front of the University’s gate hoping to see Mina as soon as she enters and to give her the food she forgot yesterday. Nayeon scolded herself for taking too long last night, and maybe that’s the reason why Mina left. She shrug off the thought and waited for Mina’s car to pull up.

 

Nayeon felt like it had been 30 minutes since she waited and Mina still hasn’t arrived yet. She asked a student near her the time and 5 minutes before the class starts.

 

Nayeon checks the plastic bag again to see if she has the right pastries she brought today. The last time she didn’t check was a complete disaster. It was a delivery. She was supposed to deliver a cake but instead it was a loaf of bread so she had to go back with the customer yelling behind her.

 

She laughs at the memory but the bell already rang and Mina was yet nowhere to be found.

 

She sighed. Maybe she’ll see Mina at the usual spot.

 

But the thing is, she wasn’t there either.

 

Mina was always the first to arrive, welcoming Nayeon with the widest smile she could. But now, it was only Nayeon.

 

She sat down on the grass leaning against the tree, placing down the plastic bag beside her. Her eyes wandered around the place hoping to find Mina walking towards her.

 

Nayeon regretted selling the phone Irene gave her. And now she couldn’t contact the younger girl.

 

Nayeon closed her eyes for a moment to take a rest.

 

And the moment she does that, she felt cold liquid poured over her head.

 

“!”

 

Nayeon opened her eyes and it was Seulgi and her friends standing in front of her with a bucket in her hand. She tried to stand up but was only pushed back again to the ground.

 

“So this is where you go during lunch. And oh! What’s this?” Seulgi grabbed the bag beside Nayeon. “Pastries. But for who? Don’t tell me it’s for MY girlfriend?” she tied the plastic and positioned herself to throw it.

 

“No!” Nayeon screamed but she was too late and the bag was already flying in the air. “F— you!”

 

“F— you!” One of Seulgi’s friend mocks. “This is what you get for kissing someone else’s girlfriend, !”

 

Seulgi pours another bucket of cold water in Nayeon’s head with the laughter of her friends in the background. She threw the bucket at Nayeon then left, leaving Nayeon shivering.

 

Nayeon ran to where the bag was and the food inside was already a mess. It was dirty now.

 

All Nayeon could do was sigh. It’s wasted now.

 

 

 

 

As soon as Nayeon entered the building, she saw Mina’s best friend: Sana and Momo. Maybe luck was on her side now and maybe ask them about Mina’s whereabouts.

 

“Hey!” Urgh. Nayeon didn’t mean to shout that loud causing the students to look at her weirdly. She was soaking wet. From head down to her legs. “Hey..” she tried again but this time it caught their attention.

 

“Oh, Im.” Sana crosses her arms as soon as Nayeon approached them. “What do you need?”

 

“I just want to ask about Mina? I didn’t see her today and I was waiting for her at the gate but it seemed like I didn’t see her arrive? Do you know where she is?” Nayeon smiled awkwardly while staring at the two.

 

“Why are you still looking for her? You think what you did to her wasn’t enough?” Sana scoffs. Momo tried to calm her down but Sana ignored her and continued, “Look, Im. You better stay away from her from now on or else I’ll break your neck.”

 

“I— I don’t know what you’re talking about. I didn’t do anything as far as I can remember..” Nayeon tilts her head, scratching her head trying to remember what she did wrong to Mina for her best friend to act like this. “She suddenly left yesterday when I was preparing the pastries for her parents.”

 

“Sana? Momo?”

 

A faint voice was coming from behind the two Japanese. Both girls turns to see their best friend whose eyes were completely red, from crying too much.

 

“Mina!” Nayeon smiled and about to walk towards her when Sana had stopped her. “You left so suddenly yesterday. I actually brought the food today but things happened so I— I’ll just give you another one.”

 

“Gosh! Why are you all wet?” Momo wipes her hand after trying to pull Nayeon away. “What happened?”

 

“Seulgi dumped a bucket of cold water on me when I was on Mina and I’s spot but that’s doesn’t matter! So, Mina do you wanna go with me again today at the bakery?” Nayeon smiled once again but dropped when Mina walks away from them followed by Sana and Momo who gave her a sad smile.

 

 

 

 

“Did I do something wrong? Why is she acting like that towards me? Maybe she doesn’t like me anymore after finding out I work on a bakery? Should I change jobs?”

 

Nayeon mumbled questions to herself as she sat on her scooter slamming her face on the stirring wheel. She lets out a loud cry and a groan completely confused about Mina’s acts.

 

(Oh, Nayeon...)

 

 

 

 

“Did she just acted dumb to get away with it? It was a good thing I was there, Mina.” Sana chugged down her smoothie, looking intensely at Mina.

 

“It seemed like she didn’t have a clue.” Momo nodded. “She really doesn’t have a clue.” she sighed.

 

“She told me she didn’t love her anymore. But the photo showed me otherwise and it just hurts so much.” Mina lowered her head as she played with her own fingers, her eyes filled with tears.

 

“I mean—“ Momo coughs. “Maybe you should let Nayeon explain. What if it was all a misunderstanding?”

 

“Misunderstanding!?” Sana slammed her hands on the wooden table. “And why are you siding on Nayeon? Are you guys in a relationship, too!?”

 

“What? Are you stupid? Sit down!” Momo slapped Sana’s head. “I have a girlfriend!”

 

The two younger Japanese spat their drinks at the sudden confession.

 

“Woah, easy there guys.” Momo laughs. “It’s very recent that’s why I haven’t told you yet.”

 

“Who did you fool this time?” Sana teased.

 

Mina only smiled at her bickering friends. At least she kind forget what happened for now, thanks to this two idiot.

 

To be honest, Mina felt horrible ignoring Nayeon when she was talking to her. She felt bad making Nayeon wait for her at their usual spot when she wasn’t going in the first place. What if Momo was right? What if it was a misunderstanding? Should I talk to Nayeon? It’s probably not a good idea and the second Sana sees Mina with Nayeon, there’s a chance that the other Japanese will pounce at Nayeon in no time. Well, that’s for breaking her best friend’s heart.

 

Mina shakes her head trying to erase the older girl in her mind. But for some reason, the harder she tries, the harder it is to remove Nayeon’s bunny smile and twinkling eyes in her mind.

 

“So! Are you guys set for the trip!?” Sana exclaimed, clapping her hands together. “Or do you guys wanna go shopping for some new clothes?”

 

“Eh, I’m fine. I still have clothes that I haven’t wear and new shoes that my sister bought from Paris.” Momo beams with pride giving Sana a smirk.

 

“Ugh! Now that makes me wanna go to Paris.” Sana groans. “What about you, Mina? Are you ready? It’s already freaking tomorrow.”

 

Mina didn’t answer. Too busy looking outside the window.

 

“Mina?”

 

Still no answer.

 

“Mina?”

 

Nope.

 

“Mina!”

 

Mina jumped in her seat. “What?”

 

“I was asking you! Are you ready for the trip?”

 

“Ah, yes. I already packed.”

 

 

 

 

After bidding the last customers, Nayeon ran to the bakery’s phone and typing Mark’s number. She patiently taps her feet on the ground as she bites her nail hearing the ring from the phone. It took about 4 rings before her best friend answers.

 

“Hey, stupid! Why haven’t I seen you today?! Where the were you?” Nayeon spoke as soon as Mark picks up completely letting out her feelings.

 

“Chill, Nayeon. I was sick, okay? So what’s up?” Mark sounded different so Nayeon believed that he was really feeling under the weather. “Did anything happened?”

 

“Did anything happened!? Did anything— Oh my gosh! Yes! Seulgi ing dumped a bucket of water on me! And I wasn’t even doing anything!”

 

Mark practically pulled his phone away from his ear because of how loud Nayeon can be. He was glad that Nayeon tells him everything but it won’t hurt Nayeon if she doesn’t scream. If he was with her, he’d just slap her head. Hard.

 

“—Can’t you believe it? I wasn’t even doing anything? I was just waiting for Mina at our usual spot then she appeared out of nowhere like a ing jerk— And Mina, oh my Mina..she was ignoring me this whole time and I didn’t what I did— Hey! Are you even listening to me, stupid?”

 

Mark sighs, he needs to tell her. “Who are you calling stupid!? It’s you who is stupid!”

 

“No you are—“

 

“You still don’t have a clue, do you?” Mark lowered his voice, completely calm. “You’re so dumb, Nayeon. I told you to get a phone!” he raised his voice again.

 

“What the hell are you talking about!?”

 

Mark slapped his face, “On twitter! There’s a picture of you and Irene! The one where she kissed you outside her apartment!”

 

“W—what...” Nayeon was dumbfounded. She felt her stomach dropped.

 

Did Mina saw it?

 

“Yes, she did, you . Why do you think she’s ignoring you? She might think that you and Irene got back together!”

 

Nayeon didn’t answer anymore. She just simply placed back the phone, slowly crouching down to sit on the floor.

 

“Oh god..”