sixteen

The Unexpected Fall

 

Taking a deep breath, Nayeon smiled at Mina who smiled at her back before opening their shared room now, surprised at the sudden questions being thrown at them as soon as the revealed their self from the door. It was Sana who came running first, teasing them while looking at their intertwined hands. Momo follows, playfully bumping her shoulders on Nayeon’s wiggling her eyebrows. Mina had to calm her best friends down.

 

Everyone was staying at Nayeon and the School Meal Club’s room.

 

After settling in, Mina was cornered by her best friends on the couch. While Nayeon was first to take a shower.

 

“So, how was it? How was your date?” Sana asks, pulling Dahyun closer who was busy playing a cardboard game with Chaeyoung and Tzuyu. But she didn’t complain though, she just continued playing.

 

“It was great. A lot of things happened, actually.” Mina laughs. She glanced at the bathroom door before pulling out her phone and showing everyone the photos and videos she captured while Nayeon was doing poses with the clothes at the store. “I really had fun.” Mina blushes.

 

“Awwww! I’m so happy for you, Minari. Congrats on having your first girlfriend.” Momo hugs Mina. “If she ever, EVER hurts you, tell me. I’ll rip her head off.”

 

“Nayeon unnie is your first relationship?” Chaeyoung joins in the conversation. She can’t help but listen to them.

 

Mina nods shyly, “Yeah.”

 

“Why?” Sana asks.

 

Chaeyoung side eyes the bathroom door, “It’s just that. Nayeon unnie is almost everyone’s first girlfriend.” she whispers.

 

“She’s a woman magnet.” Dahyun whispers too. “So, keep an eye out for your girlfriend, Mina unnie.”

 

Tzuyu slaps both Dahyun and Chaeyoung’s head, “Stop it you two. Mina unnie, ignore this idiot. It’s all in the past now. And Nayeon unnie, wasn’t the one who confessed to them. So she didn’t know that she was her past girlfriends’ first relationship.”

 

Mina only laughs, “I think I already know that. And don’t worry Dahyun, I’ll keep an eye on Nayeon.”

 

Then suddenly they hear a door open and everyone went back to their original places as it they weren’t just gossiping about Nayeon.

 

“Mina, you can shower now.” Nayeon exits the bathroom wearing a white tank top. It made Mina stare for a moment. “Mina!” Nayeon calls again and laughs, “Shower time, baby.”

 

“Ah—yes! Let’s shower— I mean— I’ll shower. Okay, bye.” Mina hurries to the bathroom after she grabs Nayeon’s clothes on her bag. Then a door closed.

 

Nayeon slaps Dahyun and Chaeyoung’s head lightly to be followed by Sana and Momo. “I heard what you guys were talking about.”

 

“I mean it’s the truth!” Dahyun tries to argue while she covers her head for a possible hit again. “Mina unnie deserves to know the truth!” she said dramatically.

 

“You’re so dramatic, Dahyun. It’s not like I was keeping it a secret from her!” Nayeon sat beside her on the floor. “Besides, it’s all in the past now.”

 

“Say...Nayeon, how come you didn’t know about the picture of you and Irene?” Sana asks. “It was almost like everyone knows but you.”

 

Nayeon shrugs, “I don’t have a phone. I sold it last year.”

 

Just in time, Jihyo enters the room with snacks and alcohol for their own little party tonight. It was Sana who cheered first running to Jihyo to grab the vodka and everyone sat down in a circle. Mina exits the bathroom confused but immediately gets it when she sees the alcohol on the floor.

 

But the thing is, Mina doesn’t drink.

 

The one who was drinking the most was Sana and Nayeon. They kept singing about anything that they can come up with words. Everyone just watches them and records the silly thing they will do.

 

Momo connected her phone to her bluetooth speaker and blasted a loud song. Nayeon and Sana were dancing. And they were all happy just watching the two. Mina was only sitting beside Jihyo while she eats a chicken and a pizza. Laughing everyone now and then at Nayeon’s silly dances.

 

Nayeon got tired and sat beside Mina.

 

Their night went on partying and dancing. Playing games that didn’t end up well because Sana rushes to the bathroom to vomit while Dahyun help her. Momo passed out on the floor, Nayeon was being all touchy with Mina and Jihyo was sweet talking with Tzuyu. It was the freshmen who had to take care of their senior girlfriends.

 

Mina tucks in Nayeon on her bed, she lays down beside her and Nayeon turns to spoon her. After a while, Mina felt her eyes getting heavier.

 

And then they both fall asleep.

 

 

 

 

It was a fun day. They felt like children again during the activities. The students played different types of games. The first was the mafia game but with a wild twist, the one who loses first gets to do whatever the winner wanted them to do. Their second game was a swimming race, though Nayeon only had to watch since she doesn’t know how to swim. It was fine, Mina was beside her the whole time. It was Mark who won the race, surprised by a tight hug from Jackson leaving him flustered. Nayeon saw this and had to ask Mark about it later.

 

The third game was a pepero game but they will be using a big long gummy worm.

 

Nayeon was teasing Mina about the pepero she had with Momo that also happened to be her first kiss. Mina was pouting the whole time but when the game was about to start, Nayeon dragged Mina to the middle.

 

“Wait, we’re joining?” Mina looks around her, and the students were facing their partners.

 

“Of course,” Nayeon grins, grabbing a gummy worm from the container Mr. Choi was holding. “This will be fun.” then she offers the other end to Mina and she positioned hers to waiting for the signal.

 

“3...2...1...Go!”

 

Nayeon shove the gummy worm into and started chewing it as fast as she can. Mina tried her best to chew fast but Nayeon’s competitiveness was making her laugh. She knows Nayeon’s competitiveness and they will win for sure. She side eyes the other students and they were struggling to eat the gummy worm.

 

She giggles and continues to eat the gummy worm. She can see Nayeon was already half way to the middle.

 

Mina focuses on her side that she didn’t noticed that Nayeon was already near hers and just two more bites and their lips would touch.

 

Nayeon is Nayeon, of course that would happen.

 

Mina felt Nayeon’s soft lips on hers while there was still a gummy in . Her eyes was already widened, looking at Nayeon’s closed eyes with a smile plastered on her face. Everyone around the area gasped and some found it cute and others, didn’t.

 

Mina didn’t care.

 

Instead, she wraps her arms around Nayeon’s shoulder.

 

“...and the winner is, Im Nayeon and Myoui Mina!” Their MC announce through the mega phone.

 

Nayeon cheered with full of gummy, jumping up and down, hugging Mina. “We wooooon!”

 

“Yes, we did.” Mina smiles. Nayeon guides Mina to their friends earning cheers as they stand beside them.

 

Nayeon walks behind Mina, giving her a back hug. They watched the other student play another game.

 

“I had so much fun, unnie. Thank you,” Mina leans to Nayeon. “And your face was really funny.” then she laughs.

 

“Hey...how about we leave here? Let’s go on another date?” Nayeon tightens her grip.

 

“Okay...” Mina hums.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Let’s go, unnie.”

 

“Let’s go.”

 

“Stop copying me!”

 

“Alright, alright.” Nayeon laughs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Watching the students play games from afar was a peaceful sight for them. Sipping their milkshake as they laugh together, exchanging corny jokes (it was mostly Nayeon cracking jokes and Mina would laugh) and just talking about anything that they will see. After buying their drinks, they settled on a bench under a big tree with a table in front of them. They were again on their second date.

 

“Never have I ever steal a candy from a kid...” Nayeon puts down a finger making Mina widen her eyes.

 

“You did!?” Mina chokes on her drink. Nayeon nodded smiling. “Yes, I did. He was an annoying kid.”

 

“Still! It was a child, unnie.” Mina shakes her head. “My turn again.” A slight pause. “Never have I ever...kissed a random stranger.” Mina’s remained as five and Nayeon puts another finger down but was hesitant, examining her girlfriend’s face.

 

“Oh, really?” Mina raises a brow and puts her hand down, crossing her arms.

 

Nayeon gulps, “I—it was a long time ago.”

 

“Really? How long?”

 

Nayeon avoids looking at Mina’s eyes, “Six months ago..” she whispers.

 

“So you still remember. I’m pretty sure it’s still clear on your head, huh?” Mina smirks.

 

“What!? No, no, no! Mina you’re tricking me! Let’s stop this pleaseeeeee,” Nayeon whines, kicking her legs in the air.

 

Mina laughs, “You sound so guilty.”

 

The older sinks in her seat, “I’m not.” She pouted.

 

“Stop pouting, unnie.”

 

“Then kiss my lips..” Nayeon puckered her lips towards the younger. “Come on.”

 

Mina started leaning in, closer and closer to Nayeon’s soft lips. She her lips before moving more closer to her lips when suddenly her phone rang. Nayeon lets out a groan making Mina chuckle.

 

“Where are you guys? The trip has to be cut short and we’re going back tomorrow!” Sana rambles through the phone, completely out of breath.

 

Mina puts her phone on speaker and leans closer to Nayeon so she can hear it. “Why has it been cut short?” Nayeon looks at her confused, Mina only gives her a shrug.

 

“There’s a big storm coming to Jeju the day after tomorrow and we need to go back immediately. Where are you guys?”

 

Nayeon looks up to the sky. It’s actually very sunny at the moment.

 

“We’re at some store. We’re going back now.” Mina then ended the phone call. “I guess the trip ends here.” she took one last sip of her drink before throwing it at the trash can near the bench.

 

 

 

 

 

Inside Nayeon and the SMC’s room were full of people busy packing their things. Nayeon was already done with hers and she was busy helping Mina pack her clothes. They were a bit sad about the trip ending but if it’s for their safety then they’ll just deal with it. They were listening to the news about this strong storm coming to Jeju in the next 48 hours.

 

“This is scaring me. What if it rains right now?” Just as Momo said it, rain started pouring outside the window. “Oh, .”

 

Nayeon laughs, “What a ” she mumbles earning a slap from Mina.

 

“Do not worry, Momo. It was really going to rain tonight.” Jihyo pats her back then continues packing. “Where the hell is my toothbrush?”

 

“You just brought your own?” Sana zips her luggage then pushed it aside.

 

“Yeah, I don’t really trust toiletries from the hotels. Staff might use it to brush the toilet seat.” Jihyo shrugs casually making Dahyun gag. Followed by Chaeyoung and Nayeon.

 

A loud thunder made everyone stop from laughing. Nayeon walks to the balcony to look outside. “It’s raining really hard. Are you sure the storm isn’t right now?” she opens the door ignoring what the other girls are saying. A strong wind welcomes Nayeon as soon as she steps outside. She looks around then place and surprisingly some stores were still open and there were still people outside.

 

Nayeon went back inside not forgetting to lock the glass door and sliding the curtains to cover the view.

 

“I guess we’re going to extend our stay here..” Nayeon smiled at Mina, who was scared at the sound of the thunders. “It’s okay, I’m here.” she said kissing the younger’s forehead.

 

“Get a room!” Momo throws a pillow at Nayeon.

 

“We’re already in a room!” Nayeon throws it back.

 

“Do you guys wanna sleep here?” Dahyun asks trying to stand up from Sana’s grip.

 

“We’re already here, so why not?” Sana snuggles her head on Dahyun’s neck.

 

Jihyo was called by one of the professors to have a short meeting about the situation right now, taking Tzuyu with her while the one remains busied their selves with significant others.

 

Nayeon distracts Mina from hearing the thunders outside by making jokes or playfully covering her ears when she feels another thunder or lightning coming.

 

A loud knocking interrupts everyone. It was Nayeon who walks to the door and unfortunately there were no peephole to look at. Nayeon opens the door slightly to look who was outside and when she sees it was Seulgi, she opens it wider for everyone see. She was panting, trying to catch her breath.

 

“N—Nayeon, help. Please.” Seulgi looks at Nayeon. “Please help me..”

 

Mina walks behind Nayeon.

 

“After what you’ve done to me? You almost killed me, Seulgi. No, I won’t help you.” Nayeon said trying sound calm. Mina knew a part of Nayeon was scared. I mean, who wouldn’t? Seulgi is capable of doing anything.

 

Seulgi sniffs and wipes her tears which caught Nayeon off guard, “I—It’s Irene.. I can’t find her. We had a fight and she walks out. I thought she will be back after she cools off that’s why I didn’t follow her. Next thing I knew, it was already raining hard and she still didn’t come back. I went to her friends’ room and they told me she didn’t go there. Please, Nayeon. Help me.”

 

Nayeon wasted no time and grabbed her jacket. “I’ll be back, okay?” she kissed Mina who was still at the door.

 

Mina only looks at her. She felt her heart tightens.

 

“You won’t lose me, Minari. I’ll just help Seulgi, okay?” Then Nayeon dashed outside following Seulgi.

 

Mina closes the door and walks to her friends, sitting on the ground beside Sana.

 

“What happened?” The older Japanese asked her. “That was strange. Nayeon and Seulgi, together? Something’s not—“

 

“They were going to find Irene.” Mina whispers but was still heard. “Nayeon went to help Seulgi find...I—Irene.”

 

Mina’s gazed still remained on the floor while everyone arounds her exchange looks.

 

“Mina, are you sure Nayeon is over Irene?” Sana asked.

 

Mina nodded, “I am sure. She just went to help Seulgi. Yeah, that’s it. I am very sure.”

 

She wasn’t.

 

 

 

 

Nayeon and Seulgi runs outside the hotel sharing one umbrella. If someone else sees them, it would be a weird sight. Nayeon could hear the girl beside her sniffing and wiping her tears while they look around outside the hotel. They first went to the manage to ask if they could watch the CCTV to find a girl and luckily he agreed. The video shows that Irene was running outside the hotel and that’s it.  Then it started raining. So they assumed Irene would find a shelter to protect herself from the rain.

 

So they ended up running store by store. Close or not.

 

“, !” Seulgi chants, tears still falling to her cheeks. The rain was pouring harder as the minute goes by and it only made them shiver in cold. “N—Nayeon, what if we can’t find her. ! This is all my fault.”

 

“Calm down, Seulgi. We’re going to find her. How about we split? You go that way, and I’ll go this way. Okay? Here take this umbrella.” Nayeon hands her the umbrella and they ran in to different directions.

 

Nayeon tried her best to shelter herself with the trees while she runs, looking around the place. She hopes Seulgi finds Irene.

 

She ended up on an open area with lesser trees, benches everywhere and a seawall.

Nayeon stops her tracks and looks around the area, hoping to find a figure.

 

And alas, she did. She sighed to herself in relief. She walks to a small cottage near a palm tree, slowly, ignoring her shivering body and paling hands. The body was laying down. Her dress slightly lifted up revealing her safety shorts. Nayeon runs, to find Irene. She wanted to shout for Seulgi but when she notice Irene wasn’t moving, she didn’t think twice and carries Irene in her back, running to the hotel as fast as she could.

 

“Seulgi!” Nayeon shouts as she sees her running towards her.

 

“Nayeon, did you find her— Irene!? What happened!?” Seulgi panics, raising the umbrella above them.

 

“I saw her laying down on a cottage. She might have passed out from the cold.” Nayeon said as they run to the hotel.

 

They ignored the hotel staff and continued running to the elevator. Seulgi tried to wake up her girlfriend but she didn’t move an inch. Once the elevator dings, they run again to their hotel room.

Seulgi struggled opening their door, and Nayeon told her to calm down or else she won’t be able to open it.

 

Nayeon lays Irene on the bed and soon after Seulgi started removing her clothes. She stops midway and looks at Nayeon.

 

“What? I already saw it.” Nayeon knew it was already too late to take it back, she felt her face heating up.

 

Seulgi chuckles and continues removing her clothes. She throws the dress on the floor. Nayeon went inside the bathroom to soak the towel with warm water and placed it on Irene’s forehead.

 

“We should let her lay here.” Nayeon pointed at the empty dry bed. Seulgi nodded and carried Irene to where Nayeon was pointing. She grabs a pair of sweatshirt and a sweatpants to make her warmer.

 

“Should we take her to the hospital just in case?” Seulgi checks her girlfriend’s temperature by placing a hand on her neck and on her forehead. “Oh— she’s warming up. She’s fine, she’s fine.”

 

Nayeon wanted to laugh at Seulgi. She never thought that the girl who hates her so much could be this soft to her girlfriend. Seulgi is a smart girl but in this kind of situation where she panics, that’s the moment where she won’t know what to do.

 

“Nayeon...” Seulgi calls her making her stop thinking again. She looks at her. “I—I’m sorry...for everything.” she lowers her head. “I’m sorry.”

 

“I’m sorry for all the things I’ve done. I know you won’t forgive me that fast but I just wanted to apologize. I was just so mad and jealous that Irene couldn’t love me back because you had her heart. I’ve been in love with her even before you guys meet. I was just so heartbroken that you got her in a span of a short time. I’m really really sorry. I’ll just accept the fact that Irene won’t love me back,” she added.

 

“I’ve already forgiven you. But for almost drowning me? I don’t think sorry would cut it.” Nayeon jokes. “But it’s all in the past now. I mean it’s all my fault why Irene dumped you so it’s all good.” she chuckles.

 

“That prank at the beach wasn’t my plan, you know?” Seulgi looks at her with a sad smile, “I’m not that ruthless. I knew you couldn’t swim so why would I do that?”

 

“T—then who’s plan was it?”

 

“My friends. They forced me. I mean yeah I hated you but I wouldn’t go that far.”

 

“Oh.” Was all Nayeon could say.

 

“Yeah, I’m really, really, really sorry.”

 

“It’s all good now. You were just too caught up in jealousy,” Nayeon smiled and glanced at the clock. “I’ll be going now.”

 

“Yes, okay. Thank you, Nayeon. Sorry for disturbing you this late at night. I was just really worried,” Seulgi walks Nayeon to the door giving her a soft smile.

 

“No problem.” Nayeon gives her one last smile before closing the door behind her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The rain had finally calmed down and everyone was already sleeping but Mina, who was still wide awake sitting on the couch as she waits for Nayeon to arrive. It has been 3 hours since Nayeon left and she can’t help but get worried for her girlfriend. She tried following her earlier but Sana stopped her. The thought of Nayeon staying with Irene has been entering her mind from time to time but she trusts Nayeon. She knows she wouldn’t do anything that could hurt her. At least not intentionally.

 

While Nayeon was gone, Mina got a phone call from her mother asking about her well-being. She also told her mother about having a girlfriend and that she can’t wait to introduce Nayeon to her. Her mother was nothing but supportive and also excited to meet her girlfriend. Mina was scared at the beginning, she thought her mother would scold her for having a girlfriend while she was about to marry Jeongyeon.

 

Well, it’s not like she wanted to anyway. She won’t marry someone she doesn’t love. And the fact that it was an arranged marriage made it worse.

 

Mina hears a rustle from the door indicating someone was opening it from the other side. The door opens revealing Nayeon who was soaking wet. The older hasn’t seen Mina yet from the small dining area and started removing her jacket m, throwing it on the ground reminding herself to hang it later.

 

“Unnie..” Mina said softly and still made Nayeon jump from her place.

 

“Mina! You scared me. And why aren’t you still sleeping?” Nayeon whispered-yelled. She grabs herself a new fresh clothes before walking up to Mina and kisses her on her head. She just loves kissing Mina.

 

Mina sighs in Nayeon’s touch, “I waited for you to come back.”

 

“I’m gonna take a bath first before I catch a cold, okay? And we’ll sleep together.” Nayeon smiles and enters the bathroom.

 

Mina grabs a cup noodle from the bag they had carried (which also has their snacks) and pours hot water inside while she waits for Nayeon to finish her bath.

 

Nayeon exits the bathroom surprised to why Mina was still on the chair then she smiled when she sees a cup of noodles opposite to her. Nayeon sat in front of her.

 

“Is this for me?” Nayeon stirs the noodles with her chopstick. Mina nodded.

 

“So, did you find Irene? How is she?” Mina watches Nayeon slurp the noodle.

 

“I found her on a cottage near the shore. She was unconscious, probably from the cold. I carried her then found Seulgi running towards me.” Nayeon spoke. “She was freaking out the whole time and it almost made me laugh.”

 

“You were too..” Mina mumbles.

 

“I was?”

 

“Yeah..” Mina fidgets in her seat. “You didn’t show it but you were freaking out.”

 

Nayeon swallows her noodle before kneeling in front of Mina cupping both of her cheeks, “But that doesn’t mean I still like her, okay? I was worried because Irene was my friend too before we started dating. But now, I only see her as a sister. As a friend.” She runs her thumb on her cheeks, “You know what? Seulgi loves Irene so much that she ended up doing things she doesn’t really do.” Nayeon chuckles.

 

“She was too caught up with jealousy. And the thing at the beach? Where I almost drowned? It wasn’t even her idea! Can you believe it? She told me she knows that I can’t swim,” Nayeon added. “Mina, baby, no one will take me away from you.”

 

“Even from your ten exes?”

 

Nayeon froze but then laughs, “Even from my ten exes.”

 

“Okay, I trust you. Now, eat!” Mina demanded, making her voice deep.

 

Nayeon hustles back to her seat and started eating her noodles again.

 

“Oh, and mom said she wants to meet you,” Mina suddenly said causing Nayeon to choke on her food.

 

“Y—you told her about us?” Nayeon looks at her girlfriend with wide eyes.

 

Mina nodded, “Yeah, why?”

 

Nayeon shook her head smiling, “Nothing. I— it’s just the first time my girlfriend will introduce me to one of her maker.” she laughs.

 

“Maker.” Mina cracks up at the choice of words. “Eat now so we can sleep,” she yawns, as she stretches.

 

“Aye, aye, captain!”

 

too many running in this chapter!! haha anyway, no proofread!!

So, nayeon and seulgi are okay now!! Yeheeeeyyy