twenty-one

The Unexpected Fall

 

“One more, please!” Nayeon told the guy that was behind the counter, pouring another drink on Nayeon’s glass.

 

Chugging the drink, instead of trying to forget what happened, she remembered. It all happened too fast and Nayeon couldn’t take it anymore. But what did she expect? She’s dating the daughter of one of the richest man in Asia, of course it would happen but why didn’t Mina tell her and chose the break her heart in front of her parents and the parents of the woman she’s marrying? She just wanted to go back but she has no money with her and she’ll probably be stuck her. She can’t go back now because there is a possibility that the other bride would be there and Nayeon is sure that she would breakdown in front of them.

 

She couldn’t breath properly. From after running away and ending up in a bar with only few people with no money in her. She was ed. She would go to jail if she doesn’t pay and that’s better than seeing Mina.

 

Nayeon drops her head on the counter and continues to sob, crying her heart out that maybe tomorrow, she won’t feel anything anymore but she knows it won’t happened. She loves Mina.

 

Finally, she admitted it to herself. But why now? Why now that she knew that her girlfriend’s getting married to someone else?

 

She cries loud. She doesn’t care if someone hears her. As if someone could. The music was too loud. But not to loud to not hear what Mina’s father said earlier.

 

“Here you are!” She hears someone said. It was a familiar voice. “You’ve had too many drinks. Let’s get you out of here.”

 

“Go away!” Nayeon sways her hand to avoid the grasp of the person beside her. “I don’t need you!”

 

“You’re drunk!”

 

“So?” Nayeon finally turns her head, “J..Jennie?” She was surprised to see the girl she just had met recently was standing beside her with a bag on the chair.

 

“Hi,” Jennie smiled at Nayeon, “Let’s get you out of here, okay?” she softly said.

 

Nayeon only nodded. She let Jennie hold her to help her walk. When they started to walk away, the bartender calls for Nayeon. “You haven’t payed yet!” And that was embarrassing considering that Jennie was with her.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll pay.” She helps Nayeon sit on the chair beside her then went back to the counter to pay for whatever Nayeon had drink. Nayeon could only lower her head and rub her arm. “Let’s go?” she hears Jennie said.

 

Jennie ended up leading Nayeon outside the bar and let her sit on the bench that was not to far from the place. Nayeon felt bad because not only Jennie was helping her but she was also carrying a big bag.

 

She doesn’t know if her and Jennie were friends considering that they just met one time and that one time was almost half a day long after Jennie made her a chauffeur to tour her around the city. She told her last time that she was only visiting her mother before she goes overseas for a show so she assumed that Jennie was a performer.

 

“I’m sorry for letting you pay...” Nayeon fidgets her fingers. “I didn’t know why I was drinking when I had no money in the first place.”

 

“It’s okay. It looked like you really needed it.” Jennie smiled at her, “What happened? If you don’t mind telling, of course.”

 

Memories started to flood Nayeon’s head again. For a moment, with Jennie beside her, she forgot what happened but as soon as the girl indirectly mentioned it, it started coming back again. Nayeon feels her tears falling again.

 

“S—she...she’s getting married.” Was all Nayeon could blurt out from before she started sobbing again.

 

“Who?”

 

“My girlfriend.”

 

Jennie was surprised. All she could do for now was rub Nayeon’s back and tell her that everything will be okay. “I’m sorry...”

 

“She promised that she will tell me if anything like that happened but she just broke it. She broke my heart. It was her father who told me she was getting married at the restaurant earlier.” She sobs, “I—I thought it won’t happen to her because she told me her parents weren’t like that!” Nayeon was starting to get mad. She doesn’t know exactly why but she was.

 

“C—calm down...you’re drunk.”

 

“I can’t ing calm down!” Nayeon hissed making Jennie back away a bit. “I’m sorry...” Nayeon saw how she scared the girl beside her. “I’m sorry...I just— !”

 

“Maybe you should calm down for a bit and talk, okay?” Jennie continues to rub Nayeon’s back. The older only nods.

 

After Nayeon had calmed down and maybe not so much drunk anymore, she turns to the girl beside her, waiting for her patiently while looking around the place and typing on her phone from time to time. Nayeon gotta admit, Jennie is pretty but of course her Mina is prettier. Oh there it is again, she’s thinking of Mina again when she should be forgetting her even just now.

 

“So...” Nayeon taps her feet on the ground, “Why do you have a bag with you?” she asked looking at the bag that was on the ground.

 

“Oh—!” Jennie picks up her bag and placed it back down again. She doesn’t know why she did that. “I was flying back to Korea earlier but...I messed it.”

 

Nayeon clears , “Was it because of me?”

 

Jennie nodded, avoiding eye contact with the older, “I saw you running then—“

 

“Why?” Nayeon didn’t let Jennie get to finish her sentence. “Why did you do that? Why did you choose to miss your flight and follow me?”

 

“Because I saw you crying and I thought you needed someone.” Jennie closed her eyes tightly to avoid looking at Nayeon. “Then I saw you enter a bar but I didn’t approach you first because I thought you weren’t going to drink that much and when I saw you almost chugging your glass that’s when I had to stop you.”

 

Nayeon felt happy after listening to what Jennie had said. “Thank you and sorry for letting you pay.” she chuckles.

 

“It’s no problem.” Jennie said. Her heart suddenly beating fast when Nayeon leans her head on her shoulder.

 

“Do you think I could go back to Korea with you? And let me stay with you for a bit? I promise I’ll pay for you when we get there.”

 

“Of course.” Jennie smiled, “You don’t even need to pay.”

 

 

 

 

“Where is your friend, Mina?” His father asked him for the nth time after Nayeon left.

 

“She texted me she needed to go to her friend,” She lied. Nayeon doesn’t have a phone and certainly doesn’t have a friend in Japan. Mina couldn’t stay still. She wanted to run after her girlfriend but her father didn’t even let her leave in the first place because Jeongyeon might arrive. Heck, she doesn’t care about Jeongyeon.

 

Speaking of her, there she is. Walking with a big smile as she enters the door, being welcomed by a warm hug by her parents as well as Mina’s. She noticed her mother only tried to smile at her but Jeongyeon was the one who hugged her. Mina knows her mother likes Nayeon for her. Not her.

 

“I’m glad you could make it!” Her father cheered, patting Jeongyeon’s back.

 

“We are just having our dessert.” Mr. Yoo said, kissing her daughter’s cheek.

 

“I’m glad, too.” Jeongyeon said but she was looking at Mina the whole time and noticed the girl’s frown, “Are you okay?”

 

“Well, she’s okay now that you are here!” Mr. Myoui answered for his daughter making Mina roll her eyes but it was only the older girl who saw it.

 

During dessert, Mina couldn’t help but look outside thinking that maybe Nayeon would comeback. That maybe she’ll fight for her or even ask Mina to run away with her though it will be the craziest idea. She just want Nayeon to come back and let her explain everything. She didn’t even try to listen to the conversations around her and just kept staring outside or at the door. Mina knows Jeongyeon, who took Nayeon’s seat was taking a glance at her every time they mention the wedding. Mina just doesn’t care anymore. She just wants Nayeon and Nayeon only.

 

“Mina.” Mr. Myoui called Mina with a stern voice and with his matching serious face. “I heard a rumor around here that you’re dating someone else? You know people here knows you.” .

 

“What if I am?” Mina didn’t know why she did that. , , . But when she she sees her mother smirking through her peripheral vision, she knows she did the right thing.

 

“Excuse me?” Mr. Myoui said, “Are you for real? Dating someone else? You are getting married!” he raised his voice.

 

“Did I want to?” Now Mina was starting to get braver, feeling her mother’s hand on hers. “Did you even asked me if I wanted to get married to someone I don’t even like?”

 

“We have been planning this since you were kids! Don’t you dare—“

 

“So that was the reason why I was born, huh? Just to get married to someone? To my best friend?” Mina slammed her free hand on the table. “Is that it?”

 

Mr. Myoui composed himself and sat up straight, “It was that girl was it? Nayeon? She’s the one you’re dating, right?”

 

“What if she is? Are you gonna do something to her?” Mina challenged her own father.

 

“Maybe, I will.” He smirked. “I’ll make sure she won’t get close to you ever again. And it was a good thing I mentioned about the wedding,”

 

“If you ever lay a finger on her, I’ll make sure you won’t get to see me ever again and that the company won’t have its so called share. I freaking dare you, father.” Mina stared at his father’s eyes, clenching her fist.

 

“Can you see what that girl have turned you? Disrespecting me in front of other people?” Mr. Myoui stood up from his chair, staring at his daughter. “She—“

 

“She did not do anything to change me!” Mina slammed her hands down and stood up, “If anything, she made me realize how I was being controlled! To the point where you ing choose who am I gonna marry just because you want to “make the most powerful company in Asia” bull!”

 

Mina felt something inside her chest has been lifted. Sure, it scares her answering back to her father but if it means to protect Nayeon, she won’t hesitate to do it again and again. She loves her father, yes, but what he’s been doing doesn’t sit right with Mina and she wants to at least make him realize that if that’s even possible since her father don’t usually listen to her.

 

“Watch your language, Mina. Break up with her or I’ll take you to America much earlier than you expect.”

 

Taking to Mina to America has been a plan since she was a kid and that she would have to study again there for she will be the next CEO of their company after the marriage. It has been held back because of some reason.

 

“Okay both of you calm down now. People are looking. Mina, sit down.” Mrs. Myoui pulls Mina down back in her seat and her father follows adjusting his necktie.

 

“We will talk later, Mina.” Her father said before he stands up from his chair and leaves the restaurant heading to the car that was waiting for them.

 

 

 

 

Im Nayeon could not really remember what happened the past few hours but Jennie did tell her during the ride back to her apartment when they arrived in Korea, that she was drunk when Jennie had seen her. And that she rode the airplane half drunk and dozing off to sleep even in the security area.

 

When Jennie opens her door to her apartment, Nayeon first locked eyes at the sofa that was chilling in the living room. Ignoring Jennie’s whine because of the tiredness, Nayeon dashed to the furniture, at the feeling of her body finally relaxed after hours of travel.

 

She turns her head to the balcony on her left to see the sun rising. Staring at the view the memory last night came flooding in her mind making her groan, sitting up straight and covering her eyes. She can’t believe it happened hours ago and her head were starting to ache. Jennie sat beside her with a glass of water and a medicine. Nayeon thanked the girl and swallowed the medicine and then the water.

 

Her head had finally calmed down after a few minutes. She looks around the living room and was amazed that there are actually tons of trophies in the shelf and stuff toys at the corner of the room.

 

Nayeon hears footsteps behind her and when she turns she sees Jennie already in a robe, “You have so many trophies. Are you an athlete?”

 

Jennie laughs and looks at her trophies then back at Nayeon, “I’m an idol and an actress here in South Korea which surprised me because you didn’t know me the first time we met.”

 

Nayeon widens her eyes, “No, ! Are you really?”

 

Jennie nodded.

 

“What group are you in?”

 

Jennie smiled, “I am actually a solo artist. But the company is planning to add me on a new girl group.”

 

“And you just let me stay in your place,” Nayeon said, as she wipes and tries to straighten her clothes, suddenly felt underdressed in front of the idol. “You are crazy! I could be a— a kidnapper!”

 

The other girl snorts, “A kidnapper who misplaced her scooter, really? And besides, you don’t look like a kidnapper.” she sat beside Nayeon, crossing her legs.

 

Nayeon sighed, “But really, thank you for letting me stay.”

 

“You could stay for as long as you want!”

 

“Even for years?” Nayeon smirks.

 

“Even for years.”

 

Nayeon was happy that she made another friend. She was not yet ready to show herself to the couple as they would ask tons of questions such as: Why did she arrive a bit earlier than Mina and why do you look sad.

 

They were having a staring contest and Nayeon swears she saw Jennie bit her lip. The older clears and turns away. “I—I’m just gonna go to the balcony and admire the view.” Nayeon hurries to the balcony.

 

As she closes the glass door behind her, Nayeon smiled at the scenery before her. She looks down from the balcony and she realized that she was almost at the top of the building. She watches people do their thing and tries to erase the memory from last night’s dinner even for just an hour to ease her broken heart.

 

Nayeon sighs.

 

 

 

 

“Welcome back, Minariiiiiii!” Mina hears loud footsteps behind her. She turns to see her best friend, Sana, who was running towards her and Momo, who was also running at the same time eating.

 

She was engulf with a tight hug by Sana and Momo. “Can’t breathe!”

 

Sana laughs and pulled away, “How was the trip? Did anything exciting happen between you and Nayeonie?” she wiggles her eyebrows.

 

Mina should be smiling right now. But she can’t fake one. She frowns after she remembers what happened and the look on Nayeon’s face when her father told her about the marriage.

 

“What’s wrong?” Sana looked at her worried expression on her face.

 

“She already found out.” Was all Mina could say before she broke down in front of her two Japanese best friends.

 

“How?” Momo asked, mouth still full of chips.

 

“Father invited her.” Mina mumbled but the two older Japanese perfectly heard it. “It was messed up! If you only saw the look on Nayeon’s face— oh god!” she cries more. “T—then she excused herself and never came back.”

 

“It’s okay, Mina.” Momo rubs her back.

 

“It—It’s not! I broke her! I broke my promise. I thought I had more time but—“ Mina stopped. She couldn’t breath anymore now that she sees the couple walking towards them and Mark following behind and yet, Nayeon was nowhere to be found. She needed to talk to her and tell her everything.

 

It was a good thing that there are only few students in the area or it would be so embarrassing but right now, she doesn’t care. She needed to at least get it all out.

 

Her best friends leads her to the bench near them to let Mina sit down and calm down for a bit while the three people who had just arrived remained quiet, waiting for Mina to get herself back together.

 

When Mina finally could breath properly and has calmed down, Mark spoke, “Have you guys seen Nayeon? I never see her the past few days.”

 

“She went to Japan with the Myouis.” Sana answered for Mina.

 

“Uhm, okay? But where is she?” He asked again.

 

“Something happened during the dinner and Nayeon left the place and—“

 

“She didn’t come back with us.” Mina cuts her off. “I don’t know where she is right now but— but I’ll f—find her and fix everything.” Mina sobs. Everyone exchanged looks though the three were still confused.

 

“What happened?” Irene asked.

 

“Nayeon found out about Mina getting married because her father couldn’t keep his mouth shut.” Sana answered again.

 

“Why didn’t you tell her?” Irene was frustrated. “Maybe she would understand if you were the one who told her!” she points a finger at Mina, slighting raising her voice and Seulgi tries to calm her down.

 

“I thought I had enough time! I was waiting for the right moment and I didn’t want to ruin everything while we were in Japan! We were so happy I didn’t want to tell her yet!” Mina also raised her voice. “I’m sorry, okay!? I messed up!” Her voice cracking at the end.

 

Irene clicks her tongue, shaking her head then walks away her girlfriend following her behind.

 

“Poor Nabongs.” Mark frowns.

 

Mina suddenly looks at Mark, her heart beating fast, “What— what did you say?”

 

“Poor Nayeon?” Mark looks at Mina weirdly. “Why?”

 

Mina sniffs, “No, no, no. That’s not the name you mentioned.”

 

“Oh—! Nabongs?”

 

Mina nodded. She remembers her childhood crush because of the name Mark mentioned. She remembers their sleepover and the games they’ve played during the night and how she and her crush, Nabongs slept beside each other and how she was blushing the whole time.

 

Then it hits her.

 

Sana only asked for her nickname.

 

Nabongs is Nayeon’s nickname.

 

Nayeon was her childhood crush who disappeared.

 

Then Mina started crying again, with her hand covering her face as she lowers herself. Finally, she found her Nabongs again.

 

“Minari, why are you crying?” Momo asked, sitting down beside her.

 

“Momo unnie, Sana unnie..” Mina looks at them, “I f—found her again..”

 

The two exchanged looks, “Who?” They said in unison.

 

“Nabongs. Nabongs is Nayeon unnie.”

 

 

Sorry for the wait. I was having a hard time writing because I was too caught up at playing on my PC.

No proofread.

And, thank you guys for your comments. It made my day! Hahahahahaah