thirteen

The Unexpected Fall

NOTE: let's pretend college students go on trips.
 

 

-

 

 

 

Students were already gathered at the front of the main building, talking about how they look forward on this trip and some were still buying their snacks for the trip.

 

Mina was with her best friend: Momo and Sana. They were still inside Mina’s limousine, waiting for the teacher’s instruction and to avoid the sun. Mina’s eyes was wandering around the students looking for one specific senior she’d hope to join the trip. Last night, Mina couldn’t blink a sleep. She was thinking about Nayeon the whole time. She was torn between ending things with whatever they have or let her explain. But was there something to explain? She watched K-dramas and same things happened about there are different sides of the story. She just hope Nayeon comes too.

 

Then Mina’s eyes landed on a girl she dislikes. Irene. She was standing near the big tree talking to her friends.

 

“Mina?” Sana pokes her side.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Open the door because we’re...going to Jeju!!” Sana exclaimed excitedly shaking Momo’s whole body making the older groan and pushed Sana away.

 

Mina laughs as she opens the door. And the buses soon arrived. The faculty assigned everyone their buses telling them that girls and boys would be separated. No one complained though since it was what they wanted in the first place to avoid PDA. Luckily, Mina and her two best friends were assigned together (much to Sana’s request to the coordinator of their trip— uhm, more like she threatened them).

 

Everyone was in awe as soon as they entered the bus. The seats looked to comfortable and big enough for you to lay down and move around if you want to. Each row has three person seats. There are also TV in front of you and in the ceiling in case everyone wants to watch a movie together. Mina was seat was in between Momo and Sana and she felt at ease with her friends beside her.

 

“Okay!” Mrs. Kim said as soon as she enters the bus. “So I’m just going to take everyone’s attendance so please be comfortable!” she smiled and started walking around everyone.

 

“Where’s Im?” Mina perks up at the mention of someone’s last and her best friends looks at her with concern.

 

“Im Nayeon? I thought she can’t afford this trip.” One of the student laughs. “You know...she’s poor. Besides, who wants to be on a trip with her?”

 

“You’re an . And you think we want to be on a trip with you too?” A student in front of the Japanese trio barks back. She clicks her tongue and went back to watch.

 

Mrs. Kim checks her watch, “So I guess she won’t be coming with us—“

 

“Sorry I’m late..”

 

All attention including Mina’s went to the front and there standing was Im Nayeon wearing her casual clothes that Mina finds attractive with a bag clinging on her shoulder. “My scooter broke. Again.” she smiled at the teacher then went to her assigned seat just across Momo’s.

 

“Maybe if you buy a brand new one—“ The same student spoke but was cut off by a girl beside Nayeon.

 

“Can you just shut up!? You’re too noisy.”

 

“Thanks.” Nayeon smiled at her seat mate and Mina who was watching the whole time, frowned at the sight. They were talking. And Nayeon was casually smiling at what the girl was saying.

 

This is going to be a long ride indeed.

 

 

 

 

The buses had to stop from time to time since it was a five hour drive to the port. And each stop, Momo and Sana would buy outside and Mina would just stay just to stare at Nayeon (who was unaware of her presence) sleeping with slightly open. The girl beside Nayeon who happens to be Sakura, another Japanese kept flirting at the oblivious Nayeon.

 

Sometime whenever Nayeon wakes up and looks around, before their eyes even meet Mina would hide behind Momo making the older Japanese laugh at her acts but would still let Mina hide.

 

Why is Mina acting like a teenager who’s afraid of their crush? Nayeon just broke her heart for pete’s sake but here she was staring at the older.

 

“Mina.” Sana suddenly whispers making her jump on her seat letting out a weird noise. “Why do you keep looking— oh!” Sana nodded as soon as she sees Nayeon sleeping again with her head on a very uncomfortable position that she’ll regret later when she wakes up.

 

“Are you going to talk to her?” Sana added. “Wait no. She should be the one to talk to you first.”

 

“I— I don’t think I’m ready. What if she said they got back together.” Mina’s voice cracked, “I don’t want to hurt myself. I’ll talk to her when I’m ready.” she leans her head on Sana’s shoulder.

 

“No matter what happens, Momo and I will be here for you. If you want to punch Nayeon then I’ll gladly help you.” Sana said making the younger laugh.

 

“Thank you, Sana.”

 

 

 

 

Hours and hours of traveling then finally they arrived at the port. There were 3 ships for the buses and each one can fit buses just enough for the whole students. Some were taking photos of the view and others were doing vlogs just for fun. And on the other side with less people was Nayeon sitting waiting for her best friend to show.

 

“Hey, stupid!” Nayeon looks up to see her best friend walking towards her with a smile but as soon as he stood in front of Nayeon, he glared at her then crouched down to Nayeon’s level.

 

They had a staring contest for a moment then Mark slap Nayeon’s head making the girl push him down to the ground.

 

“What is wrong with you?” She ran her hand to where Mark hits her. He slap pretty hard.

 

“Me? No. What is wrong with you!? You didn’t what’s happening around you! I told you to buy a phone.” He sighed. “Have you talked to her?”

 

Nayeon shook her head, “No. I haven’t seen her yet.”

 

Then Mark slaps her head again, “You are so stupid! You guys were on the same bus! How could you not notice her— Okay, that’s it. I’m going to throw you in the water late for being so stupid!” he slaps his face with both of his hand.

 

Nayeon stared at him, “What? Really? H—how did you—“

 

Mark cuts her off, “I made you be on the same bus as them! What was your seat?”

 

“I was on the fifth row.  Right side.”

 

Mark groans then dramatically lays on the ground ignoring the students that was giving him a strange look. He whines, “Nayeon, They were right beside you! Oh my god. I can’t— I can’t do this.”

 

“Wait really? I didn’t noticed. I was so tired to notice everything around me. , there goes my chance.” Nayeon sighed.

 

“Attention to all the students, please go back to your buses. We will leave in a few minutes.” Mr. Lee Min Ho announces using a big mega phone. “Teachers, please do a head count. Thank you.”

 

Students went back to their buses excitedly as they were about to leave for Jeju. Nayeon and Mark slaps each others head before going back to their own buses.

 

Now that Nayeon knows that Mina was at the same bus as her. Maybe she’ll talk to her.

 

Or not.

 

Nayeon locked eyes with Mina as she steps on the bus. Nayeon was about to smile when Mina looked away and started talking to Sana. And indeed, they were on the same row and Momo is on her other side. She sighed to herself then went to her seat ignoring the girl talking beside her as she stares at Mina’s side profile.

 

 

 

 

Upon arriving Jeju, student’s eyes were filled with excitement and happiness. They were standing outside their buses waiting for the ship to make a stop on a pier. And Nayeon was just staring at Mina the whole time. The way she smiled at the view was enough for Nayeon to make her self smile too.

 

Nayeon went back to her bus after staring at Mina like a weirdo. And fortunately, she was the only one inside besides the driver. She sat down then sighed. She needed to prepare herself how to explain everything to Mina without sounding desperate and making up stories. If given a chance to talk to Mina, she would tell everything. From start to finish without leaving a part behind. But now, she’ll prepare first.

 

Or not.

 

“Mina.” Nayeon stood up staring at the younger who entered the bus. “Can we talk?” Mina was about to walk away when Nayen grabbed her hand on time before she could leave the bus. “Mina, please. Let me explain everything.”

 

She heard Mina sighed and turns to face her. She didn’t talk and Nayeon knew that it was her who was going to speak now.

 

“I know that you already saw the picture so there’s no use in denying it, but Mina. I didn’t kissed her back! She— she forced me and—“

 

Finally, Mina spoke, “Oh, so you were going to deny it?”

 

“What?” Nayeon frowns.

 

“You said that there’s no use in denying it since I already saw it.” Mina yanks her hand from Nayeon’s grip. “And you didn’t kissed her? Nayeon your hand was on her waist! How could you say that you didn’t kissed her back?”

 

“M—Mina this is a big misunderstanding. She forced my hand on her waist!” Nayeon tried to hold Mina’s hand but the younger only took a step back from Nayeon shaking her head.

 

“No, no.” Mina looks at Nayeon dead in the eye. “Then what were you doing in her apartment in the first place? To get closure? To get back together?” Mina felt her tears forming in her eyes.

 

Nayeon was about to talk when they heard the students walking back inside to their buses. They immediately sat down in their own seat while Nayeon was looking at Mina with sad eyes. And only looking away when Sana glared at her.

 

The ships already made it to the pier and buses started driving outside the ship, parking to the side waiting for the other buses to come out. Once they were complete, buses began to make it’s way to the hotel they were staying at in front of the beach.

 

The faculty inside each bus announces that the girls and boys’ hotel will be separated which to everyone agrees. But of course, they can still go together everywhere not just at the hotel rooms.

 

“Each room has four students and you’ll be knowing who your roommates are in a few minutes.”

 

Mina hopes. Just hopes that she won’t be in the same room as Nayeon and two others because she couldn’t take it. There might be a possibility that Irene could be roommates with Nayeon since that girl would force the organizers.

 

Students (the girls) were already waiting in the lobby for the announcement of their roommates. Nayeon sat far from the others to avoid fights since Seulgi was with them, glaring at her as she held Irene’s hand.

 

“Okay, gather around girls.” Mrs. Kim gestures her hands as the students complied, making a circle around her. “We are all 42 here so two students will be staying together in a room.”

 

Mina gulps. And Nayeon was staring at her.

 

“Those two students would be Bae Joo-hyun and..” Mrs. Kim flips her papers back and forth. “...Kang Seulgi. Here is your key and you can go to your room to rest.”

 

Mina sighed in relief slightly fanning herself.

 

Irene brushed her hand against Nayeon before walking away. And of course, Mina saw it.

 

ing hell.

 

This was like putting more gasoline on the fire hoping it would go out.

 

Mrs. Kim cleared fixing her glasses then flips her paper again, “Myoui Mina, Minatozaki Sana, Hirai Momo and Park Jihyo.” she looks up, “Here is your key and enjoy. Oh—! By the way, you can go to the beach of you wanted to. The real deal will start tomorrow. Or you could just rest.”

 

Jihyo nodded then grabs the key from her, nodding at the Japanese trio then making their way to the elevator.

 

“Im Nayeon and,” Mrs. Kim sighed, “The school meal club.” she hands Nayeon the key.

 

“School meal club? Who?” Nayeon asked.

 

“That’s what they wanted to call themselves. One of them is my cousin.” Mrs. Kim rolled her eyes playfully. “Where are they?” she looks around the students. “They’re late again. Anyway, I will just tell them what their room number is and you can go and rest now.”

 

Nayeon nodded and picks up her bag then went to the elevator. Once the elevator dings indicating that it made its stop, Nayeon steps out.

 

As she turns from the elevator, she saw a familiar figure entering a room. She shook her head then started walking to the direction where she saw someone.

 

Nayeon looks at her key and surprisingly her room is right beside of the blonde haired girl she just saw entering her room.

 

“Oh ! I forgot my luggage outside!” Nayeon heard from beside her then the door opened. She turns to see it was Momo dragging her luggage inside. Momo gave her a quick smile then closed the door.

 

Nayeon opens her room and she was in awe. Two king sized bed, and a balcony with the beach’s view.

 

Nayeon was thankful that Mark helped her to pay for the trip though Nayeon only wanted Mark to pay for the half (which of course she’ll pay him later) but instead he told her that he already paid everything for her.

 

She sighed then sat on her bed facing the beach. It was still afternoon and Nayeon haven’t had her lunch yet. She decided to get one after she took a bath and maybe after she knew who her roommates were.

 

Even after showering her roommates was still nowhere to be found inside their hotel room. She guessed that they already went to the beach.

 

Nayeon heard her stomach grumbles, “.” then she grabbed her keys then went out.

 

 

 

 

Whereas, at the beach...

 

“I think we should go back— Oh! A crab! Guys look a crab!” Chaeyoung fangirls over a tiny crab, taking a picture of it.

 

“Oh, me! Me!” Dahyun picks up the crab holding both of its hand. “Chaeng, take a picture!” then she smiled as Chaeyoung clicks her camera.

 

“Don’t you think we should go to the hotel first?” Tzuyu said, as she drew on the sand with her finger. “Unnies! Look!”

 

“What is it, Tzu?” Dahyun asked putting back the crab on the sand and walks to her then Chaeyoung follows.

 

“I found a cute rock!” Tzuyu picks up the rock with both of her hand as it was big.

 

“Let’s take a photo, the three of us— Sir, can you take a photo of us holding this giant rock? Yes, thank you!”

 

 

 did you guys watched the concert? 

no proofread