five

The Unexpected Fall

5

 

 

Nayeon couldn’t think properly inside the ring. The reason why she lost again this month. Her mind always drifts to her mother who is in the hospital still in a coma for about 8 months now. The hospital had called the bakery to where she was working telling her that her mother made a movement. But after that. Still nothing. Still on her long dream. She’s still waiting for her to wake up. 

 

They got a traffic accident 8 months ago causing her mom into a deep coma and making her left leg weak. But that doesn’t stop her from anything. That doesn’t stop her from fighting. It gives money after all. 

 

One last punch was thrown at Nayeon before she collapsed onto the hard floor. Audience were cheering and some were not since they were rooting on her. Mark ran to Nayeon helping her out of there leaning her against the wall behind the audience giving her water and wiping all the blood and sweat dripping from her face. 

 

“You should stop. You might die from fighting,” Mark said, completely worried for his best friend. Her opponents were getting stronger day by day and it might cause Nayeon her life. 

 

“I—,” cough “I can still do it,” Nayeon answered trying to catch her breath. She wipes the blood from the side of her lips, wincing in pain. “I need to pay the hospital bill. My tracksuit is now dirty, I should have changed first.” 

 

Mark lets out a scoff, “Your tracksuit is still your concern when you’re here almost dying.” he wipes the blood from Nayeon’s cheek. “And how many times have I told you that I’ll pay it for you. If it makes you uncomfortable, you can just pay be back next time.” 

 

“No, no. I’m still going to fight next week. I need to let out my frustrations to someone.” Nayeon sighs, closing her eyes letting it rest for a bit. 

 

“Im Nayeon,” a deep voice called. Nayeon opened her eyes seeing a man in front of her. “Here’s your half. I hope you’ll win next time. I was rooting for you,” he gave Nayeon a white envelope then left. 

 

Once Nayeon felt like it was okay to move now, she told Mark to gather their things so they can leave the area. Walking was a bit hard for Nayeon so Mark had to assist her in walking to the bakery shop. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sitting in silent and alone inside her room would always be a great setting for Mina, knowing that she is an introverted person. It helps her think properly. Think like what happened earlier. That was a weird act considering that Irene was dating Seulgi and telling her not to see Nayeon since she was not her girlfriend. She was not too. 

 

Girlfriend. 

 

Nayeon’s girlfriend.

 

She wasn’t thinking about Irene anymore. Her thought were replaced by Nayeon. 

 

Then she felt her heart beating fast and her face heating up again. 

 

What is this feeling?

 

She has never felt this before. Even from Jeongyeon being so sweet and caring for her. Only annoyance was the only thing she felt from her but from Nayeon? That’s a different story. It’s weird (Mina finds everything weird). She only met Nayeon but look how she’s making Mina feel unfamiliar feelings. 

 

“What’s happening to me?” 

 

Then she remembered the jacket she was supposed to wash. She looked to where she hanged the jacket and it wasn’t there. She looked around her room thinking she only misplaced it but it wasn’t in her room either. She ran to look for the maids because she thought they might have taken them when they cleaned her room. 

 

When Mina arrived at the maids' headquarters, they immediately bowed to her and greeted her.

 

“Good evening, Lady Mina.”

 

“Have you seen a jacket in my room? It was hanging on a chair.” she asked while the maids exchanged glances. 

 

“Sakura might have washed it, Lady Mina. Since it was her schedule to clean your room.” One of them answered. 

 

Mina gave them a nod then left to find the culprit. 

 

She spotted her in the living room cleaning the table. 

 

“Sakura,” Mina called but was ignored— Sakura was busy humming songs not able to hear her Lady Mina. Mina calls again, Sakura!” but this time she raised her voice making the young maid jump in her spot. 

 

She bowed numerously, apologizing for not hearing her. “I am so sorry, Lady Mina.” She bowed once more. 

 

“Where is the jacket that was hanging on my chair in my room?” Mina asked.

 

Sakura paused for a bit diverting her gaze from Mina as she was thinking deeply. “It’s in the washroom, Lady Mina. Do you want me to get it for you?” 

 

Mina waves her hand, “No need. I got it, thanks!” 

 

 

 

 

 

“Here, stop here. Thank you.” 

 

Mina went back to where she saw Nayeon around her neighborhood with the jacket neatly folded and placed inside the paper bag. Earlier, Mina was having fun folding the jacket and the maids were giving her a weird look but smiled after seeing their Lady Mina happy. 

 

She stayed inside the car waiting and hoping she sees Nayeon here.

 

And she did.

 

But she was with someone else. 

 

A boy. With his hands around her waist.

 

And Nayeon’s on around his neck.

 

Mina felt her chest tighten at the site.

 

She exits the vehicle and follows them before they disappear. As she gets close to, she hears Nayeon’s heavy breathing and blood dripping down making her gasp loudly which caused her for the two turn around with wide eyes. 

 

Then she sees Nayeon’s face. 

 

“What are you doing here?” Nayeon asked walking towards Mina with Mark still assisting her. “Are you here alone?” 

 

“Y—your face...” Mina points. “W—what happened?” She stutters, shock at view she’s seeing. She tightens her grip on the paper bag and slowly walks towards Nayeon to check her face. 

 

“You’re the new student, right? I’m Mark Tuan, by the way. Nayeon’s best friend.” Mark joins in, seeing how Nayeon cannot answer Mina. “I’m sorry, but we need to go now I have to clean Nayeon’s face first.” He waves using his free hand and started walking away from Mina. 

 

Best friend.

 

Mina felt her heart jumped. 

 

Was it because of happiness?

 

But why though?

 

Mina needs to think fast. The two friends were already walking away from her slowly matching the pace Nayeon could walk. 

 

She gulps.

 

“L—let me help,”

 

 

 

 

 

“You didn’t have to help us, you know but thank you.” Mark said sparing a glance at Nayeon who is sleeping peacefully on her bed. “Don’t worry I’ll give this back to her. She doesn’t let me touch her clothes but I don’t know why she let you borrow it.” 

 

“It’s a long story,” Mina sighs. “If you don’t mind me asking, what happened?” 

 

“I knew you’d ask that!” Mark chuckles walking back inside to Nayeon’s room with Mina following her. “She goes to this fight every week to earn money so she can pay her mother’s hospital bills,” he sighs caressing Nayeon’s hair.

 

Mina felt like she wanted to slap Mark’s hand away from her gi— Nayeon. 

 

“I told her I’ll help her but she declined. She doesn’t like it when I try to help her. She only gets mad then say I don’t need anyone’s help and say she can pay the bills by herself.” 

 

“Why does she live in a bakery shop?” Mina asked, knuckles turning white from gripping the hem of her shirt as she watches Mark caress Nayeon. 

 

“I don’t know. We may be best friends but she doesn’t tell me anything about her other than her mom being in a hospital. She also wouldn’t tell me that but I saw once in a hospital. I followed her there and spotted her crying outside her mom’s room.” Mark sighs. 

 

Mina couldn’t say anything after knowing what Nayeon has been going through and she always has to deal Seulgi’s . But Mina felt like this isn’t the only thing Nayeon is dealing with. That’s why she wanted to know more. She felt like she needed to help her. 

 

“It’s getting late. You should go home,” Mark said getting the bag from Mina then placing her on the table beside Nayeon’s bed. “She’ll be fine,” he added when he sees Mina’s eyes were on Nayeon. 

 

 

 

 

The Japanese trio was currently in their own usual spot in a cafe near the university to “catch up” as to what Sana said before meeting up as if they weren’t together the day before and doing what students most probably does, gossiping. All the gossip came from Sana and Momo and what Mina did was only to listen and to react since she was a new student. They were gossiping about a teacher that fell in love with a student (from another school. Sana heard it when she went out).

 

“Do a lot of people know about there relationship?” Momo asked stirring her milkshake. 

 

Sana shook her head, “No. I guess the one who I heard it from was one of the student’s friends. Plus, if someone else knew the teacher would probably be fired. He would end up in jail.” 

 

“Did the same thing happen in MM University before I attended here?” Mina asked. Momo and Sana exchanged looks.

 

“Well..” Momo started. “There is one. But yet to confirm.” 

 

Sana nodded, “People were starting to get speculate about Mr. Lee Min Ho and..” Sana stopped, giving Momo a look.

 

“Who?” Mina asked feeling the tense in her body.

 

“Im Nayeon,” 

 

Mina’s heart dropped to her stomach, unable to move from what she just heard.

“W—why,” she clears , “Why did they think that?” She tried not to sound weird. 

 

Momo shrugged, “The only reason why Nayeon got to attend the most prestigious and expensive university, a school that is way out of her league was because of Mr. Lee and! And they seem to be very close with each other.” 

 

“That’s just lame,” Sana joins, “I don’t believe that. They could be relatives!” 

 

“But they’re not.” Momo retorts.

 

“How did you know?” Sana smirked. 

 

“Lisa went through Mr. Lee’s family tree and he is not related to Ims,” 

 

The two kept arguing but Mina was already lost in her thoughts. Why was she feeling like this? She convinced herself that she was just worried (?). Yeah, she’s just worried. 

 

“Change topic. What I really want to know is, Mina...” Sana gives Mina the sweetest smile she got. Mina knows this smile. And it’s not—

 

“Why were you wearing Im’s jacket?”

 

—safe. 

 

“I—..Uh,” 

 

“Here are your other orders. Sorry if it took so long,” the waiter came and luckily it distracted Sana, now she was munching the food by herself forgetting the question. Momo then changes the topic again about how food always taste great when it’s free. 

 

 

 

 

Mina kept tossing and turning herself on her bed for she cannot sleep. 

 

She can’t described what she felt when she saw Nayeon with a boy. Or on what Momo and Sana said about Nayeon having a relationship with a teacher in their school. Thinking about it again she felt her chest tighten. 

 

Mina cannot understand. 

 

Mina wanted to ask Momo for help. But she knows she won’t be serious about this kinds of stuff and maybe, maybe she’ll . And Sana, she doesn’t know. Sana tends to get distracted a lot of times and will just forget about Mina eventually.

Jeongyeon, no. Mina will never ask for help on her again. 

 

“Ugh!” 

 

She groaned again turning around at the edge of the bed causing her to fall with a loud thud. She heard her maid asked if she was okay outside her room and Mina answered a quick yes before standing up and going back to her bed again. 

 

The whole night Mina cannot blink a sleep but luckily tomorrow was weekend and staying up all night will cause her to sleep around ‘till the afternoon. But she doesn’t complain. 

 

After hours and hours and hours of thinking, Mina was finally be able to sleep with her laptop on her lap after doing her homework. 

 

 

-

sorry for the short chapter!!!! I'll try to make it longer in the next update!!!